Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
doghair3

Default Another Head Question

I caught wind of a high end custom supplier of aluminum heads who does his own foundry work. I believe they are from California. Anybody know who I may be referring of? Also if one exist does anybody have an opinion of them? The engine is from a 36.
doghair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Another Head Question

Are you asking about the manufacturer of reproduction original heads for the 21 stud flathead?

Or, are you asking about 21 stud finned aluminum heads? If so, see > http://www.montereyspeedandsport.com/catalog/?page=2

Monterey Speed & Sport // 10 Harris Court, Suite B-1 // Monterey, CA 93940 // 831.649.0890

They do their own casting. See below....

// Eddie Meyer 21 Stud Cylinder Heads (1932 to 1936)
Designed for use on 1932 to 1936 Ford flathead V8 engines, these Eddie Meyer cylinder heads are the only heads currently manufactured in the US for the 21 stud Ford flathead V8 engine. Will also work on 1937 and 1938 Ford flathead V8 engines by moving the water pumps to the cylinder heads from the block, and using block-off plates to cover the exposed water pump holes in the 1937 and 1938 blocks. Please inquire for additional details. Compression ratio: 8.25 to 1. Available for either flat top or domed pistons.

//

Monterey Speed & Sport only reproduces rare and unusual flathead speed equipment that is unique to the industry. All aluminum parts are cast in Alcoa 356 aluminum, heat treated to a T-6 hardness, and machined on CNC equipment to ensure consistency in quality and performance.
Our products are cast with a more refined casting sand than is normally used by foundries. This casting technique produces much more refined products, which are noticeably different in overall visual appeal than our competition. Due to their more refined finish, our products are much easier to polish. When polished, they hold their brilliant shine for a much longer period of time, due largely to our use of Alcoa 356 aluminum and our heat treatment process. The quality of workmanship and accuracy of reproduction details set the highest standard for the vintage speed equipment industry.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 07-19-2018 at 12:46 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:09 AM   #3
Brian

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246700

These are currently for sale in the for sale listings
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
doghair3

Thanks to both of you for your reply's. It is the Kearny heads I was thinking of so with that I have a couple of questions.

1. Does have anybody know how to contact Kearny? I went on their web page but no contact information was supplied. Has anybody used Kearny heads and how have they performed?

2. Are the Monterey Speed heads modeled after the original? I didn't know the originals were ribbed. How do they perform?

3. I have been given the impression that the heads need to be matched to the type of piston used, right? How does that come into play with either of these two heads?

I am looking to restore the car as close to original as possible but at the same time to make it a dependable ride for the long haul. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
doghair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
rotorwrench

A lot of the old aftermarket heads with fins had crow foot chambers back in the day. They work well with a block that has been relieved. Relieving the block was popular back then but not so much now days. It just makes a spot that likes to crack thinner and even more likely to crack if it gets too hot. I think it is Don Orosco that runs Monterey Speed & Sport but I'm not sure what all he is doing these days. I think H&H is selling some of his stuff but I'm not sure about that either.

Kearney Pattern Works & Foundry has contact info. http://www.kearneyfoundry.com/
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
petehoovie

Kearney Pattern Works & Foundry
40 South Montgomery Street
San Jose, CA 95110
(408) 293-7414 or toll free (877) 551-4421
Fax (408) 293-1895

The property where Keareny manufactures their heads was recently purchased by Google. Because of this, I don't know if they have shut down their operation and sold off their inventory or if they are going to move to a new location and continue manufacturing. You should call them at the number above. The heads they manufactured are licensed by Ford Motor Co. I have a set of their heads on my '34 and I'm very happy with them. The quality of the castings is outstanding. The aluminum alloy they use is superior and take a higher torque. Attached below are pictures of the Kearney heads on my '34....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '34 Cylinder Heads 001.JPG (100.3 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg '34 Cylinder Heads 002.JPG (87.9 KB, 29 views)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote