Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #1
fortyonerag

Default Fuel supply problem and filter recommendation

I may have had a fuel blockage problem on my 41 convert.

Its a stock v8, single 94 carb (marked 59), 6V + earth, helmet distributor etc. It has a glass bowl mechanical fuel pump (which I understand is a later unit not correct for 41) .

I have only had it a few months, and the previous owner had the fuel lines and tank replaced. The car has been sitting for a few years following this I assume.

Its been running fine but recently would not start. Plenty of spark but it turns out there was no fuel coming from the fuel pump when I cranked the engine. The fuel bowl was full and no grit or water in evidence.

The problem seemed to right itself after I reinstalled the pump to carb fuel line. I did nothing to the pump or carb except maybe a bump or two, a few choice words and a cup of gas to prime the carb.

It runs OK now (but am planning a carb rebuild due to rich running - carbon fouling of plugs). Unless the fuel pump is getting alzheimers now and then I'm assuming I inadvertently cleared a blockage.

Feel free to chime in here and tell me what really was wrong!

This episode got me to thinking about a fuel filter. I'd like something effective, but not look out of place in the 41 engine bay. The car is a driver, not a points perfect car.

Alternatively is there a downstream location that would not hamper the mechanical fuel pump?

Apols for the long winded post, all help gratefully received.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Fuel supply problem and filter recommendation

As the car has been sitting for a few years, it is a safe assumption that several parts in the fuel system have been damaged by modern fuel, such that would cause the symptoms you describe and more. All parts of the fuel system are vulnerable to this damage, some more than others. The PO replaced the fuel tank and fuel lines, which itself tells you that these problems precede your ownership.

Modern fuel will attack and destroy parts having steel or iron: The fuel tank; the fuel lines; the gas gauge sender unit. Parts having rubber or cork: The fuel gauge float; fuel flex line; the power valve; some main needle valves; and some gaskets. You will continue to have problems until all these areas of concern are addressed. Parts impervious to modern fuel are available from many sources today, as it is not a new problem.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

While working thru this issue did you remove the pump and flex hose ? On the inlet
side everything has to be air tight as you know. Perhaps during the re install ,being the careful guy you are, you may have made things air tight where prior the seal was
marginal.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
fortyonerag

I only disconnected the line between the pump and the carb (at the pump) , not the suction side of the pump, so I'm still scratching my head

Wondering if I had some kind of airlock and stuck needle and seat, beats me

Thanks for the kinds words just the same
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
chap52

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
New tank and lines that have been sitting does not necessarily mean "no junk build up there. As Ford38V8 said, there are parts that need to be kept moist or the dry out and fall apart.
A clear filter between the tank and pump could let you know of issues in the tank, When you had the fuel line disconnected from the carb did you place the end of the line in a clear jar and crank the engine (disconnect coil wire) to see what may be flowing through the fuel line after the pump?
I am sure you will track it down, or it will just clear out the junk and all be well. An inline filter may not be "stock" but it can sure save a lot of frustration.
Don't start replacing anyything until you are certain of the need to do so.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote