Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Doug 845

Default 1933 Leaf Spring Spreader

I researched leaf spring spreaders for a '33 and found out that the front spreader is different than the back spreader. New ones cost about $135 and the other costs $1050. Does anyone have quality used ones for sale? I plan on jacking the car up and disconnecting the shock links and letting the axle drop some to relieve some tension on the springs. If I can't find a decent spreader I'll probably make one myself out of black pipe.
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1933 Leaf Spring Spreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 845 View Post
I researched leaf spring spreaders for a '33 and found out that the front spreader is different than the back spreader. New ones cost about $135 and the other costs $1050. Does anyone have quality used ones for sale? I plan on jacking the car up and disconnecting the shock links and letting the axle drop some to relieve some tension on the springs. If I can't find a decent spreader I'll probably make one myself out of black pipe.
I'd be very apprehensive to utilize black pipe as it can and will (possibly) split under such pressure.

I am not aware of anyone that sells a spreader for the rear spring on your '34. The "typical" spreader won't work. I have a KR Wilson spreader that I was able to modify to R&R the rear spring.

Please - be careful.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
mercman from oz

What you need is one of these Australian Ford Spring Spreader manufactured by Litchfield Engineering Company in Adelaide.
As you can see from the Chart in the second picture, the same tool fits each Spring, simply by rearranging what attachments to use. These Sets would be over 50 years old now, but you see them for sale at Swap Meets occasionally.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Brian

Alternatively; With the weight of the car on all 4 wheels, undo the centre bolt that holds the spring pack together, also take the bolts out of the spring clips located about halfway out on each side; the ones that secure the bottommost leaves, and the undo the two Ubolts that hold spring into the crossmember. Now, jack up the car by placing a trolley jack under the centre of the diff., place axle stands under each chassis rail, and as you lower the jack, the spring will separate leaf by leaf, fiddly, but a damn side safer. As Kube states above 'be careful'
Old 09-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Brian

I've got one of those Litchfield spreaders, and using them on the rear springs of a 32-34 Ford is dicey. I have done it, but you can only locate the spreader on the outermost edges of the spring.
I have seen [years ago] a spreader that was made exclusively for this application; it had a centre forged section made to go around the banjo. Brand unknown, but a well made unit, as I said, forged.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
What you need is one of these Australian Ford Spring Spreader manufactured by Litchfield Engineering Company in Adelaide.
As you can see from the Chart in the second picture, the same tool fits each Spring, simply by rearranging what attachments to use. These Sets would be over 50 years old now, but you see them for sale at Swap Meets occasionally.[/QUOTE]

Um, not really made for the rear springs on 33 - 34.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
scooder

I have one like Brian mentioned, I believe it's a Sykes Pickavant made tool, will check in the morning. It's shaped to go around the banjo, will fit Model A rear aswell as 32-34 and later. It has ends that say "for Ford curved springs" so 32-34 And Ford Model Y these ends are made with the curve section that sits against the spring eyes at a slight angle, and a toung that stops them twisting or sliding off, I think this is really important with the 32-34 springs. These are the only spring ends I have for it. I've used it on Model A and later straight type 35 up springs, works real good on these even with the angled ends. Going the other way, straight spring ends with a curved spring would make me nervous that it could slide.
Honestly, I'm always nervous handling that amount of spring tension, never had one go flying when doing this job. But I have had a 1934 14 leaf spring center bolt let go when I moved the spring in its at rest unmounted state, top leaf smacked me square in the forehead along with the rest of the top set above the halfway clamps! I was sat on the floor when it went, I was stood about five foot away from it with a banging head ache before I knew what happened! No blood, but it bloody hurt. I was incredibly lucky that's all that happened, but really unlucky that it happened. The center bolt had rusted through in the spring pack. If that's what it can do without the tension of the spring spreader, there's good reason to be very careful.
Martin.

Edit, I looked, it is a Sykes Pickavant tool.

Last edited by scooder; 09-26-2016 at 02:31 PM.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

If using a spreader that will work it's still a good idea to wrap chain around the leaves to hold together. There's a lot of stored energy in the rear one. The front not so much. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Like Kube says above, the '32-'34 rear springs have curved leaves....they curve FORWARD toward the front of car. Likewise, the spring eyes are NOT parallel to each other, and the spreader CAN easily slip out of the NON-PARALLEL spring eye slots......game over! The spreader ends need to be U-shaped to capture the spring eyes positively. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Doug,

If you are in a local club maybe you could convince them to buy a spreader to loan to their members. Or maybe you could convince Mac (http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm) to add one to his rental tools.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote