Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
Doug 845

Default 1933 Spring Repair in Hudson Valley - NY

Does anyone know of a reputable spring repair shop that can install replacements main leaf springs and new shackles near Poughkeepsie, NY? I would do it myself but figured it wasn't worth taking a chance for the cost.
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Tony Martino

Default Re: 1933 Spring Repair in Hudson Valley - NY

Hey Doug,
This is Tony from Kingston.
There is, or was, a spring shop
in Newburg called McDonald & McDonald.
I used them as far back as the '60s.
They might have old stock or can make.
Good luck!
Tony
Old 09-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
scrapiron

Google shows a place in Danbury,,,
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Doug 845

Thanks Tony & Scrapiron,

I'll try McDonald & McDonald first. I tried researching on AOL and couldn't find anyplace near. Should have tried Google. I'll be buying main leafs directly from Eaton and hopefully they will be willing to just install them.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The folks that fabricate springs and the folks that work on installation of suspension parts may not be the same folks! I always have a local shop fabricate whatever spring set up I am wanting, but I install them myself.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
Doug 845

I called my local spring shop and they said they have installed these springs before and also said it was a pain in the arse. I ask them for a ball park figure since they knew the work involved - but wouldn't give me a price without looking at it. Since the car will have to be flatbeded over there, I would hate to get a price that is outrageous and have to return without the work being done. What is a realistic price for just labor on both springs? The car sits @ 67" high - will replacing the main leaf only raise it up to its normal height of 68".
Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Installing the spring itself is fairly simple and would take almost nothing for a shop to do. So I'm guessing they are referring to removing and installing the shackle bushings? To bad you don't know someone in your area that would help you do it.

The original springs were very stiff (at least to my way of thinking) and leaves are often removed to "soften" them up a little. Are you sure you want to go to the effort to raise the body height one inch?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Tony, NY

I think bringing your own springs to a spring shop would tend to piss them off and end up costing you. Find someone who knows old cars and will work on it.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
I think bringing your own springs to a spring shop would tend to piss them off and end up costing you. Find someone who knows old cars and will work on it.
That's what I'm thinking as well. It would be extremely easy for a shop to mount a spring.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Smaller communities away from urban areas generally only have suspension or front end shops that specialize in work of this nature. I would look for a shop that does trucks since they are familiar with straight axles and mounting work for them.

There is a spring shop on my side of San Antonio but all they do is make springs up from their own stock. They can make them any way you want them so a person would bring an example for replication to them to insure for fit. These type shops are likely few and far between in smaller communities.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
stangblue

Doug 845 I have a 33 spring with the tapered ends if interested? I will bring it to Hershey let me know. I believe I replaced one of the leaves, What model do you have? I have shackles also.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
Doug 845

I called the local shop and they had no problem with installing Eaton springs since they said they probably didn't have ones that would fit anyway. I would like to have the spring removed and greased, shackles replaced, and a mainleaf installed front & back. I will probably do the job myself at this point. I'll just have to find an affordable leaf spreader for the front & back.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #13
oldford2

Doug,
Check your PM's
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #14
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 845 View Post
I called the local shop and they had no problem with installing Eaton springs since they said they probably didn't have ones that would fit anyway. I would like to have the spring removed and greased, shackles replaced, and a mainleaf installed front & back. I will probably do the job myself at this point. I'll just have to find an affordable leaf spreader for the front & back.
Doug. I would think that a spring shop could make the spring. Don't know what their saying about having one that fits. A spring shop makes springs.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Doug. I would think that a spring shop could make the spring. Don't know what their saying about having one that fits. A spring shop makes springs.
Well, at least in my part of the country they do!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I had a question, why are you replacing the main leaves? Are they damaged in some way? Also, you don't grease a spring, at least not in the normal uses of the term grease. There are special spring lubes you can use, such as Slip Plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 719237_300.jpg (25.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #17
Doug 845

As far as replacing the main leaf, I've read a lot of posts here on leaf springs and shackle replacement and based upon those posts it seems like the best thing to do. One Barner on here (Kube) suggested it in one of his older posts since the spring is all apart anyway. Eaton only charges $100 for the front and $150 for the rear. That is cheap insurance in my opinion. I was thinking about using 5th wheel grease but now see that "Slip Plate" would be the proper product to use.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #18
Kube

Quote:
As far as replacing the main leaf, I've read a lot of posts here on leaf springs and shackle replacement and based upon those posts it seems like the best thing to do. One Barner on here (Kube) suggested it in one of his older posts since the spring is all apart anyway. Eaton only charges $100 for the front and $150 for the rear. That is cheap insurance in my opinion. I was thinking about using 5th wheel grease but now see that "Slip Plate" would be the proper product to use.
Doug,
I replace (only) the main leaf when that is my only option. That happens very rarely. I don't tend to do anything "on the cheap". Thus, I nearly always replace the entire spring with NOS. New old stock - meaning FORD, not Eaton, or any other after market manufacture. Ford springs (NOS) bring the car back to the designed height - something I require of my restorations.
I do strip and powder finish each individual leaf prior to reassembly.
The bottom line I suppose is what you require from your efforts. If you are willing to utilize an Eaton (or other than Ford) spring, apparently authenticity is not important to you. In that case, the Eaton main would probably serve you just fine.
Remember that all of the leaves of your old spring are fatigued. Replacing the main leaf will bring back some of the ride height but certainly not all. Also, utilizing old leafs will not restore the authentic handling characteristics. Are those things important to you?
If you do use old leafs, be certain to finish back all worn leaf "grooves" as well as replacing the perch pins - that's important.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Kube, I sure understand the authentic/original aspect you are referring to, but it almost sounds like Doug is considering it a safety issue. IF the spring has ware or damage it could be, but a spring in good condition? I use original springs in good condition all the time (NOT in authentic restoration projects!), do you consider that a safety issue?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #20
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Kube, I sure understand the authentic/original aspect you are referring to, but it almost sounds like Doug is considering it a safety issue. IF the spring has ware or damage it could be, but a spring in good condition? I use original springs in good condition all the time (NOT in authentic restoration projects!), do you consider that a safety issue?
I think you are spot on with your advice / opinion. Ford springs were, in my opinion, built quite well. If they are not cracked, I'd use them in a "driver" with little concern.
Still, I would replace the perch pins for certain and grind back any grooves. Those two processes would help the handling characteristics, again, in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #21
Doug 845

Thanks for all the feedback. My primary concern is safety. My secondary concern is ride height. My third concern is originality. If I could find Ford NOS springs I would buy them instead of Eaton if the cost is within reason.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Doug......Check with Fred Wilner at Southside Obsolete for NOS ANYTHING. He SHOULD have your NOS spring. His info below in the 1st link! Fred is also a member here on the 'Barn and goes by barnfind08. You could PM Fred by clicking on the second link. DD

http://www.southsideobsolete.com/Sou...e/Welcome.html

PM to barnfind08....Fred Wilner, below!

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/privat...do=newpm&u=104

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #23
Doug 845

I called back Eaton to order the main springs and was told that he quoted me the wrong price for the rear mains. Instead of $150 each it was now $200 each. For both of my cars that adds another $100 to the bill. I think I'll stick with the originals for now and save myself $660 (fronts, rears, & shipping). Hopefully there are no broken pieces when I disassemble them.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Where I am located (center of the US) to have a main spring fab'ed at a local spring shop runs around $20. Now that is for a stright front spring! I have not had a 33 rear spring made, but $200 seems a little steep to me. I would think more in the $100 range would be more appropriate.

If your rear spring is not worn or damaged that would be a good approach. It you are wanting more arch in the spring that is easily accomplished at home or by a spring shop