Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
My3window

Default 1934 Rumble Step Pad Brackets

I'm looking for the measurements of the upper inner fender bracket that supports the top rumble seat step pad on 33 - 34 rear right rear fenders. The EFV8CA Restoration Manual shows a photo of the bracket in chapter 7 page 25 but it does not show where the bracket bolts to the inner rear fender pan or what kind of bolt/fastener was used. I have not found this piece available on the after market websites. Any measurements and photos of how it is fastened would help me fabricate this part.

I did purchase a bracket that supports the first step pad that mounts beneath the right tail lamp. It is made by Vintique, but unfortunately it does not fit because it is too short.

Thanks for your help!
Tom
My3window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Steve Staysko

Default Re: 1934 Rumble Step Pad Brackets

Only the tail lamp step plate has a bracket there is not one for the large upper pad.
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
My3window

Your reply surprises me in consideration of the 33-34 Restoration Manual mentioning and showing a partial photo of the reinforcement bracket.
My3window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Steve Staysko

A few weeks ago I asked the same question to David Rehor and he confirmed there is no bracket on the upper 34 fender step pad. I should also point out the 34 restoration book is great but there are a few errors in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3window View Post
Your reply surprises me in consideration of the 33-34 Restoration Manual mentioning and showing a partial photo of the reinforcement bracket.
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Staysko View Post
I should also point out the 34 restoration book is great but there are a few errors in the book.
Hi Everyone, Yup Steve is correct. Anyone using the V-8 Club books should know about this link to the published corrections.

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/Ford_Book_Corrections.cfm

The 33-34 book shows five corrections.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Terry,OH

The restoration book shows the lower step on top of the tail light bracket on p.7-25 on the same page is a photo of the brace in question. It carries Ford P/N 40-13468 This brace is also pictured in the 28-34 Ford Chassis parts book. There is not a correction to the restoration book regarding the brace.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
DavidG

The original question was not about "40-13468 reinforcement (rear lamp bracket step) (with rumble seat)", but rather the homemade-looking support for the upper step pad on the top of the fender shown on page 7-25 (the blue fender and fender well). Because of the larger footprint of the upper pad, the greater curvature of the fender at its apex, and the closer proximity of the pad the bolts attaching the fender to the quarter panel, the location of the upper pad is inherently much stronger than that of the tail lamp bracket thereby eliminating the need for extra support for the top pad.

Agreed that the depicted top pad brace is not one of the five book corrections on the Club web site.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
Terry,OH

40-13468 is the brace pictured on page 7-25 on the car with the blue paint and in question . Below is the diagram from the chassis parts book, with the basic part number. Fords description is: "Reinforcement (rear lamp bracket step) (with rumble seat)"
It appears, from the description, the brace is on the tail light bracket, NOT on the upper step. The restoration book MAY shows the brace in the wrong location, but the photo in the restoration book is too confined to the brace to determine the mounting location pictured . The brace, does exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (72.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 08-31-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
stangblue

Not to digress from the question of utilizing braces, but I would not let anyone step on either step pad, braced or not. Just my thinking on safety. I use a step ladder to get in and out of the rumble seat or put the top down to get in over the front seat. What happened to the grab bars used earlier?.... Cost maybe or before liable suits, were they as common as today?

Last edited by stangblue; 08-31-2016 at 08:05 AM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
DavidG

Terry,

With respect, please re-read My3window's first sentence where he refers to "upper" and "top pad". He is not referring to the lower pad which is reinforced by 40-13468, which no one denies exists and is shown in the parts catalogue. Also please look again at the photo in blue and you will note that the part shown is not formed like 40-13468 with its unique shape at the top to provide clearance for the nut and lock washer (and to provide additional strength). Also, please turn to the next page (7-26) which shows two photos of other installations of 40-13468 and note that in every instance the tail lamp reinforcement (40-13463) shows in the same photo as well as the filler plate between the body and the fuel tank cover/rear fender attachment point, which is not the case in the blue photo on page 25. There's no question that the man was asking about a brace for the upper pad, not about the lower pad on the tail lamp bracket.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangblue View Post
Not to digress from the question of utilizing braces, but I would not let anyone step on either step pad, braced or not. Just my thinking on safety. I use a step ladder to get in and out of the rumble seat or put the top down to get in over the front seat. What happened to the grab bars used earlier?.... Cost maybe or before liable suits, were they as common as today?
The 'grab bars' you refer to on earlier cars were actually 'top rests', used to support the top when in the down position.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
stangblue

42merc, Thank You for the correction. I thought they were used to help with ingress to the rumble seat. Interesting how we perceive things as we get older. :-)))