Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #21
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: WOW, a Model A "trike"??

Wonder if he's running "straight pipes" ....
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #22
deuce295

I got to agree with Stan. That guy probably loved every minute of building that and should get a lot of credit for seeing the project through. Absolutely not my cup of tea but certainly creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan/MO. View Post
Hey...to each his own. He probably enjoys his model A+ as much as anybody on here enjoys their A. Not for me...But I'm just saying.
deuce295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
bagpiper

Chattanooga Charlie would have been proud! I like it. For those who think it's dangerous, maybe they shouldn't ride in it.
bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #24
Tinker

I seem to remember seeing an old picture of a guy that built something similar (I believe with a flathead). It was long as heck and steering was almost identical, but was a 2 wheeler! I want to say the picture was from the 50's and the guy traveled all over the US in it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I seem to remember seeing an old picture of a guy that built something similar (I believe with a flathead). It was long as heck and steering was almost identical, but was a 2 wheeler! I want to say the picture was from the 50's and the guy traveled all over the US in it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Sportwheels in Jordan, MN used to have a bike that looked like something the Flintstones built. It has a Chevy 4 cylinder from the 20's and a wood frame. Somewhere on the internet was a picture of it, but I don't know where. Sportwheels sold it several years ago and the new owner drives it once in a while, but I don't know who he is or where he lives. It was quite a unique motorcycle built during the depression when the guy had no money, but had an old Chevy that he took most of the parts from. If I remember right this is the bike that had welding that looked more like piles of turkey sh**.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
zzlegend

Hum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood.jpg (67.6 KB, 30 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Hum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I saw that picture last night when I was looking for the depression era motorcycle built from an old 20's Chevy, but that isn't the one I had in mind. I never could find the old Sportwheels motorcycle picture. The last time I saw it was about 15 years ago at the Waukee, Iowa gas engine swap meet. BTW, I think that swap is coming up real soon.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #28
zzlegend

Ya Tom, I didn't think it was the same one, but wood must be the choice of some of these guys. Maybe they are retired carpenters or cabinet makers. Wonder how that elmers wood glue holds up?
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

There was a bike running "back in the day" ( I hate that phrase ), 1930's - '40s , that was powered by a Plymouth flat-head six... mounted in-line, similar to an Excelsior or Henderson Four... I believe it ran out on the salt flats.

Then there was Glenn Curtiss " Bi-Auto-Go", a massive motorcycle with wooden-spoked artillery wheels and a V-8 engine, from about 1915... it had little out-rigger wheels amid-ships to keep the monster up-right.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #30
bob p

I have seen this in person, what a fine quality job. The framework and steering is most likely stonger than on a model A or new car. great welds and reinforcements. This should go to a model a guy who thinks he has everything or a museum of unique vehicles. A one of a kind for sure.
bob p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #31
fairbo A Man

I seen this trike driving the down the road about 3 years ago. It was going 50- 60 miles an hour. When the guy stopped I talked to him about it. He told me all about it and he let me ride and drive it! It drives better then my Harley 3 wheeler. Anybody who is in to trikes or Model A's would love this one! Go Wild!
fairbo A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #32
'29wagon

woodytrike

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bar/2337840015.html
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote