Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #41
billybronco1

Default Re: Today's Observations

Interesting, I have a loose fitting muffler and it leaks in front where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler. Tried muffler tape but it did not help much. I plan to buy the correct muffler from Waldrin in the spring.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #42
billybronco1

So I am back on this thermostat thing. Today after a 15 mile run she was only running at about 130 degrees. Temp outside was about 65. Before I buy therms I was wondering if I should use 160 or 180 degree? Also I'm concerned on the diameter of these traditional therm will they fit in the hoses? I found this one on Macs, unless some has a part number available will this fit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Threm.jpg (58.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #43
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
So I am back on this thermostat thing. Today after a 15 mile run she was only running at about 130 degrees. Temp outside was about 65. Before I buy therms I was wondering if I should use 160 or 180 degree? Also I'm concerned on the diameter of these traditional therm will they fit in the hoses? I found this one on Macs, unless some has a part number available will this fit?
That one on Mac's says 37-48. I've used ones from Mac's for a'46 and they worked fine.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I'm was sure I posted on this already!!! 180 at a minimum. You can get the thermostats at any auto parts store. See post #26 of this thread, the first link post #2 list the part number.

"The Subaru Justy is what is commonly referenced, but the same thermostats are used in several different makes, models and years. The normal reference you will see is Subaru Justy 1990. They have to be retain someway. You can use wires that catch under the hoses and clamps. Or you can double clamp them (an extra champ just above where the thermostat is in the hose). There are several other methods to retain them."

Stant 14157 is a 170 deg

AC DELCO 12T4D 19114436 180 deg

NAPA THM115 180 deg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermostates.jpg (16.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 11-09-2020 at 02:30 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #45
billybronco1

Oh, I like the Napa price at $7.00 or the Stant is $8.00 on Amazon. Here is my concern about running 180, I'm sure you know better though. If I let the temp get to 180, then its a short distance from 212 or boiling over. Knowing these motors tend to run hot anyways wouldn't 160/170 be satisfactory running temp for the engine then have a larger window to the boiling point? I'm sure my temp gauge would be pegged at 180.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #46
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The hotter the engine runs the better it is all the way around. 180 is nowhere near 212, LOL. 185 to 190 would be better, but 180 is ok. The thermostats are not going to raise the engine operating temp above what their opening temperatures are. If your engine is running around 130 it doesn't sound like it has an overheating problem. If an engine is overheating there is something wrong that needs to be addressed, which does not appear to be the cause with your engine.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #47
billybronco1

Thanks for all the help I feel good about what I accomplished today, maybe I should get a gold star. And happy Veterans Day to all you other vets!

I got the Napa thermostats and installed them, pretty nice fit although not perfect so I assume there would be some fluid bypass. I used thin stainless steel airplane wire to help keep them in place. Also I installed a mechanical temperature gauge that works great. So now the original gauge measures the left side and the new gauge does the right side.

Took the car out for a few mile spin and she seemed to level out at about 180 -190 degrees according to the gauge. I checked the temps at the elbow housing with my inferred thermometer and it agreed to the 190 degrees. Car seemed to like its new hotter temperature, ran very well and seemed to smooth out, I could just be dreaming but really it did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Napa Therm.jpg (32.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Temp Gauge.jpg (39.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #48
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Car seemed to like its new hotter temperature, ran very well and seemed to smooth out, I could just be dreaming but really it did.
Yep, sounds good, and it should run better at the higher temp.