Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Ricosan

Default Outstanding Customer Service!!

Hey Guys,

I have a 1934 Cabriolet.

After reading all the posts about the Optima redtop battery, I took the plunge. I knew that there could be a possibility that I could get a bad one but I thought it would be worth the risk.

Long story short, it was a nightmare. It was good for the first 10 days or so but then lost so much juice that it wouldn't turn the engine over. I had it towed to an auto electric shop and they said I had only 3.5volts.

I bought a charger from Pep Boys that will charge Optimas. After 36 hours of charging I got 6.24 volts.

I reinstalled it in the car and drove about 10 miles to fill up with non-ethanol gas. It wouldn't start. My wife was with me! I finally got it started and drove back home. Battery measured 5.54 volts.

I remember reading the difficulties many had in regards to warranty and I was very apprehensive. I thought I had ordered it from Amazon but checking my records I found it was Summit Racing.

I kept putting it off because I just didn't want to fight with them. Boy was I wrong.

I called the number for returns at Summit and "Smokey" says "No Problem We'll send you a new one today and no need to send the old battery back". It took all of 5 minutes. That was yesterday after lunch and it is scheduled to be delivered this afternoon! I'm blown away!

I hope this new battery is a good one.

ricosan
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Outstanding Customer Service!!

Are you sure you don't have a charging system issue? I have always had outstanding service from Summit and Jeggs.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Are you sure you don't have a charging system issue? I have always had outstanding service from Summit and Jeggs.

I'm with JSeery on this. Be sure to check the voltage output of your generator before convincing yourself it is the battery. You don't mention what your generator output is. I just went through the same problem with my 32 pickup and Optima battery. I fixed mine with replacing the generator and cutout after checking the generator output only to find it was not charging the battery back up.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
flathead48

I purchased a 6 volt from Amazon for my 48, it has been 3 years and so far so good but the 12 volt one I purchased for my frontier lasted about 8 months and would not hold a charge. Amazon did give me a complete refund. Point being they do sometimes goof..
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
swedishsteel

The last 6 volt Optima I bought (about a year ago) had the same problem. It took a few emails and phone calls between Summit and Optima, but finally a fellow from Summit gave me the same reply--we'll send you a new one. Since then I've experimented with the bad one: put a maintainer on it, let it sit; charge it normally, let it sit; charge it with a "desulfater/maintainer, let it sit. End result is always the same--it will charge to about 6.25 amps max, and discharge quickly when taken off the charger down to about 5 volts. Just plain bad battery. Side note--I've always had good customer service from Summit. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

To avoid these issues with a 12v optima, you go to Walmart and pick up a 24F Value Power battery for $50 and glue the proper Ford script label from your printer. For a 6v or 8v, you go to TractorSupply for an equivalent size 6v or 8v tractor battery for $80 and glue the same label. They both snuggle in those old battery wells just fine. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walmart.jpg (22.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg tractor.jpg (22.3 KB, 10 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
48fordnut

Sounds like a charging problem. I have a optima that is right at 20 yrs old It starts my car fine after sitting 4 or 5 weeks. I do put a trickle charger on it about every 3 mos.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

I've had an Optima 6V in my 35 fordor since 2013, have never touched it. I don't even put a maintenance charge on it during the winter. Never fails to start my car. I think a good generator, electronic regulator (Fun Projects), and good grounds/connections are key to trouble free system. I have two 6V red tops, a 12V red top and a 12V yellow top in my vehicles, and all are working well.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
jim1932

very polarizing battery (pardon the pun). I have a good one, friend of mine swears they are crap and he will never buy another one.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
Tinker

Check charging.

I like them but I have some old ones. 6 and 10 yrs old. Probably the ease to replace is due to poor manufacturing and they know it. Get a good one your golden, if not they replace. Sounds like a company that backs the product up.

Add an update on how it goes.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-23-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:52 AM   #11
freddie

Perhaps not 100% applicable to our old car hobbyists but very interesting information on new battery technology. Fisker electric cars I believe have already tested this technology. With a recharge time of 3 minutes they are able to drive for 800 km before recharging.

These super capacitor batteries can be discharged 100% and have a cycle life of 1 million, compared to the the normal chemical battery cycle life of only 5000. These super capacitor batteries are manufactured by Eco labs in Dubai. They are expanding their manufacturing facility to include the manufacturing of normal car batteries, lap top batteries and mini batteries for watches.

They currently offer a 10 year replacement warranty on any of their batteries that might fail in that time period.

The battery looks different for what we are used to.

Please see: https://www.pscprojects.co.za/kilowatt.html
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #12
cajunfirehawk

They say that Optimas are now made in mexico and the quality isn't what it was, with that said, I have a red top in another car I have owned for almost 10 yrs. Granted the car only gets used maybe half a dozen times a year and is plugged into a battery tender 24/7, its been outstanding.
My latest battery purchase for my 36 was for an Oydessy battery as they are supposed to be the better choice now, YMMV

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote