Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2018, 04:17 AM   #1
fortyonerag

Default Do 42-48 rear leaf springs fit a 41

I'm not happy with the current rear end set up on my 41 SD convertible.

The rear was high when I got it - say 2" higher than the front and I wanted to get the rear a little bit lower than the front.

I'm not looking for a taildragger, but slightly lower in the rear than the stock front would be good. This means roughly a 3" drop from what I had

Long story short but I wound up with a combination of reverse eyes and long shackles, but I'm not happy with the long shackles at all. Lots of swing and sway and wheel scrub

I want to go back to short shackles and I'm thinking of getting the current spring de-arched but an alternative is a new Posies type spring with some lowering built in.

I'm concerned about ride quality with a de-arched spring - I have had de-arched springs before and they have ridden hard

I see new lowered springs for 37 - 40 and 42-48, but little for the 41. Will the 42 - 48 springs fit the 41?
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Do 42-48 rear leaf springs fit a 41

Realistically, if you want to use long shackles you need to use a panhard bar. All the later springs are long and use non angled shackles ,or even angled the other way (long spring) but absolutely rely on the panhard bar.

The 41 axle casing might have the locations for a panhard bar. It might not be too hard to adapt one from a later car.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #3
fortyonerag

Many thanks Mart. No panhard bar mounts on the axle housing, unfortunately.

Its an older restoration (which can mean many things - not always good) and I noted that the rear shackles she came with were the shorter 40 variety, not the 41 which are supposedly 1/2" longer.

Its a very stiff spring. If I stand on the rear bumper (I'm about 200 lb - ahem) the rear will deflect maybe 3/4"

For these reasons, I'm not even sure its a 41 spring in there!

Last edited by fortyonerag; 07-19-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
oldskool

I bought a posies reverse eye spring and it didn't lower it at all, 41s have no provision for a panhard bar,im trying to adapt one from 42-48 so I can use lowering shackels ,I have mounted the bracket that attaches to crossmember but that's as far as I got, the car is 4 sale now 16,500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002727.jpg (82.0 KB, 20 views)
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
edhd58

Mine has 41 rear end and 42 springs. It still sits higher the tear
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Try taking a few leaves out??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The 1941 axle is different than all the others. The design of the spring mountings looks like they were experimenting with two different types of spring since it looks like a double barrel mounting. They may have thought about putting a panhard bar on there too using one of the unused mountings for the bar but I don't know. The 1942 was around an inch & a half wider and they went with the panhard bar straight away.

I think some of the early springs are near the same width as the 41 but not all. There is a lot of conflicting info out there on the 1941 rear axles & springs. You can get a bit lower with reverse eye spring leaf. Another way to lower a 41 is to fabricate some longer shackle bars and install a panhard bar of some type. Finding a way to use a 42 thru 48 panhard bar would be a thought but I've sure not tried it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-20-2018 at 05:04 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post
Many thanks Mart. No panhard bar mounts on the axle housing, unfortunately.

Its an older restoration (which can mean many things - not always good) and I noted that the rear shackles she came with were the shorter 40 variety, not the 41 which are supposedly 1/2" longer.

Its a very stiff spring. If I stand on the rear bumper (I'm about 200 lb - ahem) the rear will deflect maybe 3/4"

For these reasons, I'm not even sure its a 41 spring in there!
FORTYONErag
If you are going to "MODIFY" your rear springs.. you might as well put updated rear parallel springs with updated shocks.. the ride will be perfect instead of .. well you know transverse springs don't do much but wiggle around some on the big bumps!..

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
Ken/Alabama

The 37-41 measures 51 1/4" backing plate to backing plate. The 42-48 is 53". If you put the 42-48 spring on the 41 with stock 41 shackles it will raise the rear of the car as you described.
Ken/Alabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
grumppyoldman

My 41 is 1" lower in the rear, as far as I know everything is stock. I'm measuring from the top of the wheel opening to concrete pad. Don't use longer shackles, the rear spring can swing far enough to puncture the tire side wall, don't ask me why I know.
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
My 41 is 1" lower in the rear, as far as I know everything is stock. I'm measuring from the top of the wheel opening to concrete pad. Don't use longer shackles, the rear spring can swing far enough to puncture the tire side wall, don't ask me why I know.

My 2" longer shackles can rub on the tyre but I didn't think stock ones would make the distance