Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #21
David J

Default Re: 1933 V8 Freeze Plugs????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 845 View Post
This last one seems to be missing the shoulder to set the plug on. It isn't perfectly round and seems like someone used JB Weld or something previously. What is the best way to fix this right?
That's the reason I mentioned the dent puller as it does not mess up the lip . If the lip is gone drill and tap the hole and put an allen head plug in there . You can actually do this with all 4 if you like .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #22
dads34ford

After scratching out as much scale as I can get out would it be possible to lightly blow air through the pet cocks to remove any loose stuff? I value any thoughts and opinions....
dads34ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #23
dads34ford

After I rod out as much scale as I can get out could air be lightly blown through the pet cocks to blow out anything loose?? I value your opinion....
Old 02-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #24
David J

If you don't mind the mess run water into the radiator fill till it comes out clean from all 4 holes .
Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #25
dads34ford

i dropped my pan my block has no plugs?? the edge of the block is streight from one end to the other it is not swollen out where the plugs are in the above pic that mercman posted above. now i am wondering if i have a 34 block?? am going to do get the books out.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #26
revkev6

info from charlie stephens:

little identification info from charlie stephens:
If there are 21 studs the block was built 1932 to 1938. The transition to 24 studs was late in 1938. Check the water petcocks on the front of the block next to where the lower hose from the radiator enters either an inlet fitting (1936 and earlier) or the water pump (1937 and later). It the petcocks point straight down it is a 1932 block. If the block is not a 1932 next look for a vent from the crankcase area out through the front corner of the oil pan. If there is no vent the block is 1933-34. If there is a vent it is 1935 or later. As a matter of interest, the 1936 engines were the first to use insert bearings. Both insert and babbitt bearings were used throughout 1936. The insert bearing engines can be identified by LB cast at the top of the left front face of the block or by the letters LB stamped into the surface where the intake manifold attaches. Some engines were not stamped and in other cases people tried to inflate the price of their blocks by stamping LB into them when they were sold. Be careful. Now check for the location of the water pumps. If the water pumps mount on the block the engine is 1937 or later. All engines beginning in 1937 were inserts. Frequently you will encounter a 1937 block with factory block off plates held on by two bolts over the water pump passage at the front of the block as it was common for Ford dealers to install this engine as a replacement in the earlier cars.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #27
David J

38coupe did a good thread here " engine block ID " that should answer all your questions .