Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
My3window

Default Headlight and Horn Installation on 34

I'm nearing the home stretch in completing the restoration of my coupe. Next step is to install the headlights and horns on my fenders. I was wondering before I attempt this if there are any tips or advice about installing these parts? For example, was there any sound deadening material between the bottom of the fender and the top of the front fender bracket? Is there room for alignment/adjustment. I've noticed some 33 and 34 cars have non-symmetrical right and left lights. Is this something that can be adjusted with tightening the bolt on the bottom of the light? Is it necessary to run the wiring through the headlights before installing them? Any other comments will be appreciated.

Thank you
My3window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
fourfords

Default Re: Headlight and Horn Installation on 34

Many of your questions can be answered in the 1933-34 restoration handbook. A very good idea to have. Put a blanket on your fender in case something slips out of your hands. I don't know exactly what you mean by "Asymmetrical", once you attach and wiring in the headlight and assembled, they can be adjusted and the the nut underneath the fender can be tightened to secure the lights in the exact position. Hope this helps.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Jim in Wisconsin

I've had 33 Fords for a long time, in fact I just got done assembling the front fenders, grill, etc. (again). I've never seen any kind of pad that goes in between the fender and the big bracket.
The biggest problem in that area is the non-availability of headlight sockets.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
petehoovie

Headlight Stand to Fender Pad > http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordp...umber=40-13130

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Jim in Wisconsin

Pete, that is the pad between the fender and the headlght stand. He was asking about a pad between the fender and the large bracket that holds the fender up.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
Pete, that is the pad between the fender and the headlght stand. He was asking about a pad between the fender and the large bracket that holds the fender up.
Thanks for the clarification. I just checked underneath the fender on my unrestored original '34 and there is no pad between the fender and the fender-brace/bracket....

Have you figured out what he referring to with the term "non-symmetrical"? I'm wondering if he has a '33 headlight on one side and a '34 headlight on the other side....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I just checked underneath the fender on my unrestored original '34 and there is no pad between the fender and the fender-brace/bracket....

Have you figured out what he referring to with the term "non-symmetrical"? I'm wondering if he has a '33 headlight on one side and a '34 headlight on the other side....
Maybe he has one original lens and one after-market?
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
DavidG

Originally there was nothing in the way of insulation or padding between the front fender bracket and the underside of the fender. You can thread the wire through the lamp mounting stud and install the reflector, lens and rims after the lamp housings are installed on the fenders, but there doesn't seem to be much advantage to doing that as you likely would want to do your adjusting with the lamps completely assembled as the lenses and rims will be your side to side reference points.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
My3window

Thank you all for very much for your comments and advice. Just for clarification, when I was asking about symmetry I was trying to describe the fact that I have seen some 33 and 34 Fords that have headlights that do not line up correctly. Almost like one was leaning to one side more than the other. Now I realize there is some adjustment in the way the nut tightens down and I feel confident I won't have this problem. Again, thanks to all for your help!
Tom
My3window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
David J

What does this is tweaked fender braces . VERY COMMON problem . This also causes the fenders to not be at the same height . They can be mis-aligned numerous ways so MEASURE and check angles carefully .
Quote:
Originally Posted by My3window View Post
Thank you all for very much for your comments and advice. Just for clarification, when I was asking about symmetry I was trying to describe the fact that I have seen some 33 and 34 Fords that have headlights that do not line up correctly. Almost like one was leaning to one side more than the other. Now I realize there is some adjustment in the way the nut tightens down and I feel confident I won't have this problem. Again, thanks to all for your help!
Tom
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
stangblue

Make sure you bolt hole for the horn is big enough to accept the wire harness through it . Some repro's don't have a big enough bore . Fordbolts.com has the right bolts.

Last edited by stangblue; 08-23-2016 at 07:33 AM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote