Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
jfcrash

Default Phaeton Side Curtain Storage ++

I am wondering if others have had issues with storing their side window curtains in the area behind the rear seat?

My set of side curtains came with a vinyl storage/protector bag to store them in… but when the bag lays flat in the storage area behind the rear seat back, it pretty much takes up the entire floor area … when you push the rear seat back up into place , the bottom of the seat back crushes the front edge of the storage bag such that the seat back won’t engage with the latch.

As for using this area for storage, it doesn’t seem like I would want to lay the side curtains flat and then pile objects on top of them and run the risk of damaging the plastic windows. Has anyone modified the area behind the rear seat back in their Phaeton to store items other than the side curtains and associated curtain rods? ie added shelves etc ?

The limited space under front seat cushion already has the tire jack and a few hand tools, etc.

Your comments/ideas would be appreciated, thank you..

Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: Phaeton Side Curtain Storage ++

Hi Everyone, Jim I agree with you. I've got a '36 Phaeton. The curtains (10 pieces, with 8 rods, and a boot!) I have are stored in a pouch that I try to keep flat.

Like you I'm not comfortable putting a lot of stuff on top of the pouch.

Even though we had a top put on the car a couple of years ago, we did not have a new set of curtains made up, so I treat them as being sorta fragile.

I don't usually keep them in the car because I use the area behind the seat for storage of spares and tools.

When I do have them in the car, not installed, I usually lay the pouch on the rear seat (like in the photos), but of course that means no passengers back there and no other stuff on the back seat!

I remember seeing one car where someone had made a pouch onto the rearward facing surface of the back seat, and stored the curtains vertically in that area. I'm not sure how that would have worked, because gravity would make the curtains sag to the bottom of the pouch.

I haven't ever seen a solution that I thought worked well. Curious to read some of the responses you get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtains on rear seat of tow vehicle 1.jpg (29.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Curtains on rear seat of tow vehicle 2.jpg (32.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Curtains on rear seat of tow vehicle 3.jpg (42.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0048.jpg (58.5 KB, 45 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-27-2015 at 08:53 AM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
jfcrash

VT,
I haven’t traveled more than a 30 mile radius from the house yet and haven’t given much thought to spare parts .. but last fall was glad I had the side curtains with me to install for the ride home…

My first issue is to get the storage bag positioned so I can get the back seat cushion to latch without crushing the edge of the bag. The bag was made by LeBaron Bonney an is not over sized in my opinion... I have not tried to lay them flat without the bag just yet....

Thanks for you pictures,
Jim

Old 06-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
DavidG

If authenticity isn't important, you could emulate what Ford did for side curtain storage in a '32 phaeton which has a stiff-sided pouch attached to the back of the rear seat back cushion. It's held in place and the top portion together with three clinch fasteners. Unfortunately, while I have photos of one, they are not on this computer. I can provide them early next week.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Jim, I looked at all the photos in your album this morning, and all I have to say is THANK YOU for honoring the car you have. It looks VERY NICE from your photos, and I bet it's even nicer today!

Did it find you, or did you find it?

I'm not sure the LB pouch is crafted to be stored in the area behind the seat. I'm pretty sure whatever pouch I have won't fit there anyway.

And I have the same problem when some of my gear gets in the way of the rear seat going back to it's latched position. I keep a lot of it in cardboard boxes to 'help' this situation. I usually just shove the stuff to the back, muttering, and raise 'er up. I'm dreading the day I see a dent on the outside from this conduct!

Here's a thought. Whoever put the top on has someone who knows their way around a sewing machine... Ask them to do you a pouch that fits. Can't be that expensive.

For me, I love to drive my 'twenty footer' so I make sure I have a carb, fuel pump, and dizzy, and a whole lot of etc, when I'm out and about. I hope to do 200 miles tomorrow.

PS, I always listen to DavidG's comments very carefully. He's a good-un!

PPS, If you're out in the fall again with or without the curtains, make sure you have gloves, hat, and warm jacket. Anyone in the back needs a sleeping bag!

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-27-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
jfcrash

VT, I actually found the Phaeton in a barn in N.Y.

David... when I was in the process of repairing/removing what was left of the upholstery on the front seat back, there were several stud fasters screwed into the back of the frame near the top edge.. at the time no one I talked to new what they their purpose.. This my be what your talking about?? There was also a fifth one near the RH edge, which seams like a lot of fasteners to hang a 3 foot wide pouch or to support their weight ??

Seems like it would need to be secured at the bottom edge also to prevent swaying during travel ?

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC2081DS.jpg (253.9 KB, 51 views)

Old 06-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
DavidG

Jim,

What I was referring to was a pouch on the back of the rear seat back which has the advantages of both being out of the way and out of sight compared to the back of the front seat back. I'll post some photos tomorrow evening or on Tuesday.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
VeryTangled

Funny, I was at a show today and there was a first-year vette that had a pouch like we're talking about in the trunk with the two glass windows in it. Didn't snap a pic like a dummy.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
DavidG

Here's the '32 side curtain pouch (unattached to the rear seat back in this photo). This is the initial version that has all three cinch grommets in the same plane. The center grommet proved to be too close to the seat back latch and was subsequently placed lower in the pouch and a "V" was cut into the top of the pouch to eliminate possible interference with the latch.

In normal use, the pouch would be attached to seat back at all times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B-35U top and upholstery-1.jpg (43.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
DavidG

Here's some photos of the later version of the '32 phaeton pouch only in this case everything is all original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 910.jpg (136.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 911.jpg (134.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 913.jpg (137.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
FL&WVMIKE

My '34 Phaeton came with it's original curtains in their original pouch. The pouch fits behind the back-rest of the rear seat with no problem. They do not lay flat, of course, which would be better, as the curtains do begin to sag. I think that is where Henry wanted them stored.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #12
jfcrash

David,

Thank you for your photos… I think that would be a great storage solution for my side curtains allowing me to use the area for tools etc

For clarification… In your last post with the 3 images of the later version of the pouch… Is the back panel, bottom and front cover all one unit sewed together? It looks like the front (cover) and bottom is one piece, with the bottom being secured to the upholstered seat back ? I don't image anyone offers this pouch??

Thank you,
Jim

Old 06-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #13
DavidG

They are like file folders, open at the top and on both sides. They are made of textured door panel cardboard in a standard phaeton and artificial leather covered door panel foundation material in a deluxe phaeton. (Both cars in my photos are deluxe versions.)