Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Talkwrench

Default Aerostar springs the result.

Finished fitting a set of Aerostar springs to the town sedan. Originally when I got the car the previous owner in the U.S. did the ol' oxy lowering trick , when we pulled the springs out they were like bananas. Found a set of replacement springs at the time and from memory there were T bird springs. Of course it sat a little high so Rick and I cut a coil off [may have been half a coil?] which you will see in the pictures for reference. I measured the originals at .683" thick and the new Aerostar ones at .755" and as we know they are progressively wound. The new springs are great, still a fairly soft ride I was expecting firmer, going over a speed hump at any speed will have you bouncing up and down still, and I think the reality is you bottom out before the spring actually gets firmer from the winding as the car is now much lower.. I can notice the difference in cornering, I can get around corners quickly, I do have heavy front and rear anti swaybars and KYB shocks also the rear has 1 3/4" lowering blocks so cornering is a breeze. Tried to do a side by side comparison , first pics are the cut Tbird springs , I think the Aerostars have lowered it another 1/2" you wouldn't want any lower ..
Old 09-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Aerostar springs the result.

Hi Talk
If one just replaced the original front springs with the Aerostar's what would be the difference in heigth?
Thanks
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
rowens55

I too am curious about the height. It is my understanding that it lowers the front about 3 inches. Am I close? Thanks, Rowen
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
bobss396

3" is about right. Regular springs are around 16", Aerostars are around 11" in free height. I have them in my '59, the engine and transmission are out, so I'll find out. If I don't like them, I can sell them and grab something else Moog has.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
Talkwrench

Yes just roughly I would say about 2 1/2 - 3" tops...

Sorry about the pics guys seems to happen when I take with my phone and then transfer to the computer..?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
rowens55

Excellent!! 3" will be just about perfect for my 55CV. Went and bought a set today from my local Napa. $86 out the door! Don't want to hijack this thread but ill post before and after pics. Think ill do it this weekend. I already have a complete front end rebuild kit. Wish me luck........
Rowen
Old 09-10-2015, 01:59 AM   #7
Talkwrench

Go for it post the pics..

Oh be prepared to undo the brake lines.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
bobss396

The '59 in my avatar sits just about level with the aerostars and no drive train. I did an engine test fit the other day and it dropped more, and whacked out my camber... got to dig up some alignment shims.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
rowens55

I'm prepared for that bobss396. Ill get it as close as I can, then, straight to the alinment shop!! And to talkwrench, already have new rubber lines for all 4 corners. This should be fun!! Lookin forward to my new "hotrod" stance! Rowen
Old 09-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowens55 View Post
I too am curious about the height. It is my understanding that it lowers the front about 3 inches. Am I close? Thanks, Rowen
Usually about 2 1/2" they may settle another 1/2" after a few months on the road in most cases.If you have swapped out a flathead,y-block or 223 six for a 289-302 figure 2" -2 1/2" as they weigh about 200 lbs less.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowens55 View Post
Excellent!! 3" will be just about perfect for my 55CV. Went and bought a set today from my local Napa. $86 out the door! Don't want to hijack this thread but ill post before and after pics. Think ill do it this weekend. I already have a complete front end rebuild kit. Wish me luck........
Rowen
Don't want to make you feel bad but NAPA ripped you off,as moderator of the 52-59 Ford Group on the HAMB our members usually use this company: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coil-Spring-...064d27&vxp=mtr
Maybe go back with a copy and see if they will price match you would save about the price one of the matching gas shocks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-Absorb...dd5901&vxp=mtr Your local Autozone sells the springs for $65.99 FCS850V
Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
mikhett

GOOD LUCK and B careful.I wrapped a chain around my springs b4 I pulled them out.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
rowens55

JeffB2, just called autozone, n yep, your right! So I called NAPA and they said they would make it right. Mikhett, this won't be my first time puttin in springs. I got this. Only problem is,...IT'S A HUNDRED AND SIX here in Woodland, ca today!!!!!!! Weekend is sposed ta cool off to 100+!! We will see if I feel like crawling under the car.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
JeffB2

Glad NAPA made it right with you, with the $$ you saved you may want some adult beverages to cool you off in that heat,It stayed in the high 90's in Phoenix yesterday weird weather this year hope some rain makes it your way.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
rowens55

JeffB2.........ME TOOOO!!!!!!!

Oh, and the "adult beverages",......already in the cooler! :0)
Old 09-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #16
miker98038

FWIW, because I've got a 55 bird, with Aerostar springs, not a full size car. I have less bottoming on big bumps than I did with the cut bird springs. I'm getting into the "progressive winding" before I hit the bump stops. Mine also didn't settle more 1/8", which really surprised me. There's also some spring seat spacers, I think Ford used them on the driver's side of the birds, but they show up on the Mustang sites. You can use these to raise the front slightly if you end up too low. I love these springs, best bang for the buck I ever did on a suspension.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
rowens55

Update, had to work yesterday and I want a couple days to change the springs (in case I come across any issues). So it looks like the next free weekend will be early October. So till then.......
Old 09-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
Kahuna

Hey Rowen, Please post when you do this, as I'm really looking forward to the results and to be doing it myself.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #19
dmsfrr

FWIW.... I had a long-bodied Aerostar back in the early 90's and the back end sat too low for even light/medium duty towing. Bought a set of (Moog?) oem replacement style extra capacity rear coil springs that raised the back end about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. If these are still available they could be another option if stock Aerostar coils are too low or soft for whatever you're doing.

25yrs later, wish I'd saved the leftover Aerostar springs for this '55 Bird.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-14-2015 at 11:20 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
rowens55

Jim, As soon as the time is available to me, I will post pics and what I had to do to get them in. dmsfrr, if it comes off the car, it goes in a box in storage. I want to be able to put it back stock if I ever want. No cutting on my baby!! That's why I'm going to put a stock 6v harness in. I've been told and read that it will support a 12v system with no problems. Rowen