Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Kit for mating juice brakes to early spindles-Richard's Early V8 garage?

Does anyone know where I can buy the hydraulic conversion kit to allow the use of juice backing plates and early spindles?

The kit consists of two steel rings, two smaller adapter rings that slide over the spindle bolts and two cone-shaped shims.

Thanks,
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Kit for mating juice brakes to early spindles-Richard's Early V8 garage?

Speedway is not always popular on here, but they have them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Kit for mating juice brakes to early spindles-Richard's Early V8 garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Hi:

Do you know what the list it under? I only found the F-100 and Mustang II conversion kits on their site. I guess I could call, but I'd like to have a part # on hand. Seems to help the ordering process.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
325w

Used to use a top piston ring for the steel ring. Made our own spacers.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Tony, NY

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hydrau...ings,3286.html
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, I'm moving to slow this morning! Tony has it.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Thank you all!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I have never had any problems with Speedway,I only wish some of the other suppliers were a good as them!Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
deuce_roadster

I have the Early V8 Garage kit on my 32 coupe. Go to their website and call Richard.
Old school way was to use a Model A piston ring and chevy valve seat for the spacer but the piston ring is cast iron and every one I have removed has been broken.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I have never had any problems with Speedway,I only wish some of the other suppliers were a good as them!Phil
I agree, but because they sell a lot of none USA parts they are not held in high esteem. But it is about the same with most of the suppliers. Only sure way out is NOS!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I agree with this post. Have purchased many things from Speedway, and many orders have been heavy parts that were sent with free shipping. I know some of their stuff is "knock off" from China, but I usually know how to avoid that.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-23-2015 at 04:42 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
john in illinois

On my model A I had trouble with the cone rotating with the seal and wearing.
This caused frequent wheel bearing adjustments when I was on a long trip.

I discovered MT Car products Had ones that were a light press fit on the spindle and with a little locktite ,they have been trouble free.

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Adapters-and-Spacers.html

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Your problem is the same as they have with a Model A. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has them. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Your problem is the same as they have with a Model A. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has them. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes.

Charlie Stephens
I want to install juice plates to '32 spindles.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #15
Kahuna

Tim
I got brakes for my 32 spindles from Richard @ Early V8 garage. The backing plates (Lincoln type) bolted right on without problem. I also got the spacers, etc from Richard.
Everything fit like a glove, no slotting necessary.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I want to install juice plates to '32 spindles.
This is what I have on my '32 (post war, 1946-48, Ford brakes). The only problem is that the bolt pattern in the spindles is larger on the hydraulic brakes than it is on the 1928-36 spindles. Although the spindles are different the instructions for the Model A are the same as they are for any 1928-36 passenger chassis. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has the adapters. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes. Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282 is also an excellent source of parts and information.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-23-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #17
John R

In my recent experience with the small ring that provides the sealing surface: the one sold by MT and EFV8 Garage is slightly too large (vs. Ford spec) on the ID and needs to be assembled with locktite on the spindle. Some of the spindles are also worn a few thousands in this area, making matters worse.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
This is what I have on my '32 (post war, 1946-48, Ford brakes). The only problem is that the bolt pattern in the spindles is larger on the hydraulic brakes than it is on the 1928-36 spindles. Although the spindles are different the instructions for the Model A are the same as they are for any 1928-36 passenger chassis. Try Dennis Cling at clingsaftermarket.com, (480) 777-1202 I am sure he has the adapters. He also modifies backing plates by plugging and redrilling the holes to the new bolt pattern. Most people, myself included, just slot the holes. Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282 is also an excellent source of parts and information.

Charlie Stephens
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-fords.215720/ Neat Thread!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
In my recent experience with the small ring that provides the sealing surface: the one sold by MT and EFV8 Garage is slightly too large (vs. Ford spec) on the ID and needs to be assembled with locktite on the spindle. Some of the spindles are also worn a few thousands in this area, making matters worse.
The bearing spacers from MT and Early V8 Garage were made to be a press fit on UNWORN spindles, but almost all of the spindles have enough wear that red locktite is needed to prevent rotation.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #20
HotRodmicky

Buy Richards kit!
Way better than speedway
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #21
CSArno

Isnt Tim going to have to change his front drums/hubs to a 40-48 style with drums on the outside also?
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSArno View Post
Isnt Tim going to have to change his front drums/hubs to a 40-48 style with drums on the outside also?
That is what I have already. Car is a '28 AV8 with 40's juice brakes.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodmicky View Post
Buy Richards kit!
Way better than speedway
In what way? Just curious, as I could not find any info or pictures of Richard's kit.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #24
TnA

speedways kit is a piston ring, just installed my kit and the ring snaped in 3 pcs. cast.
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnA View Post
speedways kit is a piston ring, just installed my kit and the ring snaped in 3 pcs. cast.
Snapped in meaning it went well or it broke into three pieces?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #26
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Buy Richards kit!
Way better than speedway
Yes, I used to use the 'piston ring' type of setup - crude, but kinda works. Richard's setup has the holes in the right location (and size) - is just a better all around setup.

And tack weld the adapter plates to the inside of your backing plates. If you want to see an example, just ask (as I just took my plates apart to get them ready for paint).

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #27
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
And tack weld the adapter plates to the inside of your backing plates. If you want to see an example, just ask (as I just took my plates apart to get them ready for paint).

B&S
Hey Dale,

I would like to see a picture. I'll PM you my e-mail address. Thanks,

Tim
Old 03-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #28
HotRodmicky

Quote:
Hey Dale,

I would like to see a picture. I'll PM you my e-mail address. Thanks,

Tim
Hi Tim,
Once you see the pic, you will buy it!

I used it a couple of times and really like it
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Hi Tim,
Once you see the pic, you will buy it!

I used it a couple of times and really like it
Thanks. Sounds like a good endorsement.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #30
CSArno

Here is a pic of the Lockheed front backing plate on the spindle. This is after I plug welded and re drilled the holes. You can see the adaptor ring in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 154 views)
Old 03-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #31
Tim Ayers

You guys that are welding up the holes, are you using TIG or MIG? I like how clean it looks with the holes plugged and re-drilled.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-02-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #32
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

this is 34 to 39-40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2648.jpg (52.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2650.jpg (63.1 KB, 135 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #33
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
this is 34 to 39-40
I thought about doing this as well. My concern was messing up a set of '32 spindles by generating too much heat from the MIG. If I had a TIG, I would go this route.

Maybe my concern is unfounded, but love to hear from others who added width to the spindle sides v. modifying the backing plate.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #34
CSArno

Quote:
You guys that are welding up the holes, are you using TIG or MIG? I like how clean it looks with the holes plugged and re-drilled.
I used the mig to plug up my holes. Welding up the spindles like that scares me too. Really a lot of work for not much gain in the end. Plus i am trying to keep it so we can put the original mechanical brakes back on in case I become a total purist some day
Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #35
FlatheadTed

The difference between mig and tig would be minimal if you are welding 4 holes the amount of heat concentrated would no different .( the spindles are Ford drop forged very strong .) this car was imported from the US so these were done possibly 30 years ago .what I am doing here is duplicating what was done to get it complied as the spindle race had been welded on the one of it ..,I later cut this of to restore it as I only welded one side
Quote:
I thought about doing this as well. My concern was messing up a set of '32 spindles by generating too much heat from the MIG. If I had a TIG, I would go this route.

Maybe my concern is unfounded, but love to hear from others who added width to the spindle sides v. modifying the backing plate.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #36
FlatheadTed

Here's the back ,By plug welding you are getting close to the edge your not adding any material
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave_3280.jpg (45.4 KB, 113 views)

Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #37
Fred A

The backing plates from MT Car Products come in both spindle patterns. Those Bendix style brakes also work very well on front only. Interesting that some still choose to use those inferior Lockheed brakes. The '39-'48 cars I've owned all have gone Bendix. Well not all. The '40 woodie I had was stolen before I had a chance to convert it. Crap brakes is a common argument when our government friends try to regulate our old cars off the road. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #38
FlatheadTed

The Lockheed can work ok providing they are adjusted to the book and a suitable lining fitted ,the car here had poor brakes until I put a better quality lining on them ,the tendency in the 70-80-90-was to fit linings suitable to power booster system .

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 03-02-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #39
Bored&Stroked

Here are Richard's conversion plates installed on a set of 39-48 backing plates (which have been modified for Bendix style brakes by Bass). The adapter plates have a few small TIG tack welds to hold them in place - works out really well. One could also plug weld the original bolt holes - would clean it up a bit more.

Dale

Backing1 copy.jpg

Backing2 copy.jpg

Backing3 copy.jpg
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=Bored&Stroked;1043809]Here are Richard's conversion plates installed on a set of 39-48 backing plates (which have been modified for Bendix style brakes by Bass).
QUOTE]

Anything that Bass touches or has a hand in turns-out to be a work of art. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #41
ct1932ford

Is the Early V8 Garage still in business?? I have not had contact since July when Richard said he would get back to me on a brake line set up. I have been trying to reach him by phone and email. No response?? Thanks
Old 10-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #42
Bored&Stroked

I'm helping a friend build his 32 Roadster and he ordered a set of the adapter plates from Richard about a month ago - and I tacked them onto his 40 backing plates. I'm sure Richard is still in business - he just tends to be very busy and isn't great about returning calls. I'd just try him again . . .
Old 10-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #43
Joe31

I have a set of 4 1940 backing plates with shoes, painted black, excellent shape, has plates welded on front for 32 spindles. 350.00.
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #44
russcc

Hi Tim

Here is one solution. I have a set of 39-41 backing plates re-drilled for '32 spindles. Shown in the photos are a rear backing plate mounted on a '32 spindle, the '32-34 spindle, and the backing plate complete w/hardware & shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1769.JPG (134.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1771.jpg (31.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1770.JPG (93.8 KB, 42 views)
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #45
Mart

Here's how I did mine.

https://youtu.be/4sVdRkusfEA

Mart.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontbackplate.jpg (48.4 KB, 179 views)
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #46
Tim Ayers

Update:

I used one of Richard's kits and all went together very nicely. One tip, if you're particular, you should use the '32 style round grease shields vs. the '40 "square" style.

I didn't realize they were different hole spacing (duh, makes sense now) until mounting them.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #47
Mart

A small indentation along the top of the round shields gives enough clearance for the springs.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #48
cas3

I welded a piece of 1/4" square stock around the 32-34 spindle, then welded the holes all shut, and drilled to match the later backing plates. A little work with a flap disc and you cant see it was done.
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #49
Bored&Stroked

I question whether grease shields are even necessary these days? You don't have them on almost any modern drum brake and the quality of the lip seals are very good. I don't believe there is any issue - in NOT using them at all.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:26 AM   #50
big deuce

I sell these laser cut weld on rings, weld the holes shut and redrill using '40 backing plate as template, two weld on rings, two centric rings $85 shipped in states.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail - 2022-03-10T190532.907.jpg (37.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (65).jpg (35.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (67).jpg (43.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (64).jpg (28.0 KB, 42 views)
big deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:16 AM   #51
Mart

^^ neat job.