Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
ford3

Default Re: Dieseling

dont trust the timing marks of the crank damper, if im not mistaken they are a two piece damper with a rubber insulator between the two metal pieces, over the yrs the outer part of the damper will creep around the inter piece, the one bolted to the crank because it slips on the rubber insulater, throwing the timing marks off, pingining on hard excelleration usually means timing is to far advanced, back timing off about two degrees, to find top dead center pull # 1 plug, put a wooden dowel in hole and turn engine over by hand till the dowel stops rising, that should be top dead center unless the timing chain is pretty streched, to check play in timing chain, take dist cap off, turn engine over by hand then turn the opposit direction, see how far the crank turns before rotor moves, turn the engine in the direction when running then back it up, that takes the play out of the chain
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
Hivolt5.0

Gene, Do you think the Isky cam would affect what idle speed the engine "likes"? I printed off a spec sheet from either John Mummert's web site or the Y blocks forever web site that gave specs on idle speed, timing, dwell, etc and it agrees with what you just mentioned for a stock cam. I know the E-4 cam isn't real "hot" but I wasn't sure if I should treat it like a stock cam or lean some towards a "hot" cam.
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
Hivolt5.0

Thanks scicala and ford3. I'll give both of those a try. I know there is some slack in the timing chain. The last time I changed the fuel pump I stuck my finger in the hole in the cover and felt the slack.
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
ford3

if the timing chain is streched much you will never be able to time the engine right, the rotor should move as soon as you turn engine
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
Motorhead6

[QUOTE=scicala;786646]I can't say that I agree with this. Idle speed and mixture should be adjusted in gear if it's an auto trans. You don't adjust the mixture, then change the idle RPM again without re-adjusting the mixture screws again.

I respectfully submit that you want to keep the butterflies closed as much as possible to assure that you are not approaching the transition ports which are just above the idle ports. The way you do this is by putting the transmission in neutral and reducing the idle to close the butterflies. Then after you set the idle mixture, opening the butterflies a bit to idle up in gear is the proper way to go. While you may idle up to the point that it is approaching the transition ports, the idle mixture will remain correct.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivolt5.0 View Post
Gene, Do you think the Isky cam would affect what idle speed the engine "likes"? I printed off a spec sheet from either John Mummert's web site or the Y blocks forever web site that gave specs on idle speed, timing, dwell, etc and it agrees with what you just mentioned for a stock cam. I know the E-4 cam isn't real "hot" but I wasn't sure if I should treat it like a stock cam or lean some towards a "hot" cam.
The only way I would know about the idle speed question is to see how the engine responds to the suggested idle speed. I don't think that cam has enough duration to affect idle speed much. If it continues to die when you cut ignition you are probably OK around 550 or 600 rpm.

The timing chain was new when the engine was built. With no more miles than it has, I doubt it is out of specs. I recently had the timing cover off my 302 at about 85,000 miles. There was a little wiggle in the chain between the gears. I found the way to measure for excessive wear and it was no where close to being too loose. I think some looseness is normal.

You didn't mention if you had the vacuum can disconnected while performing the timing checks, or how the vacuum can is connected to the carb. Using manifold vacuum on the distributor will help get the engine to the high timing you mentioned that it likes. It will also let you close the idle speed screw some more. It will give a crisp throttle response from idle and not give any extra advance at cruising speeds.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote