Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Hivolt5.0

Default vacuum advance on 312

I'm curious where you all get a vacuum advance for a 312. The one off my distributor has a straight shaft (see pic) but all of the replacement ones have a bent shaft.

The engine hasn't been running the best lately. It idles fine and drives ok but as you are cruising you can feel some hesitation/surging or perhaps a bit of a miss. I recently installed a MSD chrome coil but still have the points. I asked, before I did this if it'd be ok and the consensus was as long as I had the ballast resistor it should be ok, which I do. With the miss/hesitation I thought perhaps the coil was burning my points so I switched back to the old coil but before I took it for a spin I decided to check the points and vacuum advance. The points looked great, no burn spots, but when I put my vacuum pump on the advance I couldn't pull any vacuum. I'm assuming a faulty vacuum advance would cause the hesitation/surging/missing feeling the motor has.

What else should I check???

thanks
David

Last edited by Hivolt5.0; 01-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
franksford

Default Re: vacuum advance on 312

I'm looking at your advance and the vacuum line adaptor is not showing any threads??? that would be wrong. for a 57 312. I think i may be able to help. call (616) 874-1224 Frank
franksford is offline   Reply With Quote