Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
B0B

Smile 1929 Standard Phaeton Do I have the correct windshield?

The windshield or windscreen as some call it on my 1929 standard phaeton had daylight showing around it on both sides in places and along the top too.I would guess the gap was almost 1/16th inch on both sides and the top in some locations . The glass I have is in good condition it is NOT the dual safety glass type but may be the newer safety type that breaks into all those tiny pieces when it gets hit ? There is a little circle etched in the glass and it says PARDONEX in the circle I never heard of a PARDONEX glass ? so if anyone knows what type glass this is I would sure like to know I want me and my family to be safe !

I took it apart today 02-09-2012 to check this out and found that the windshield was installed by applying black silicone rubber windshield sealer around it gluing it in the framethat was all there was in there . I had quite a time getting it out of the frame. I am wondering what is the best way to install the windshield now that I have it out AND do I have the correct SAFETY TYPE windshield glass ? the measurements are
41 & 1/4" or 41.25" across the top 40& 1/16" or 40.625" along the bottom and 13 & 1/8" tall or 13.125" tall on the sides measured right to the edge of the bare glass with a tape measure. The whole thing seems small to me ? Also where can I find instructions for the proper installation of the windshield glass so I can be sure I get it back in there correctly?

THANK YOU GUYS ! your the best ! B0B in Michigan
B0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1929 Standard Phaeton Do I have the correct windshield?

According to the Service Bulletins it should be 41 9/16 - 41 5/8 top, 39 7/8 - 39 15/16 bottom, and 13 1/4 - 13 5/16 side.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I'm pretty sure tha federal law states windshields must be safety plate, to help stop you from flying through in an accident.

Are these air gaps between the glass and frame, or between the frame and posts?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
wrndln

Bob,
If no one else answers your questions, I have a 1929 phaeton windshield frame that I believe is an original that I could measure. It is up in the top of my barn and a little difficult to get to right now. I could dig it out and measure it if no one else provides the dimensions you need.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
B0B

Thank you ALL for your replies I guess I got my answer the glass IS the wrong size it is about 5/16th" to narrow and 1/8th" to short as well and posssibly MAY NOT be Safety Glass. I am going to check on getting a replacement glass. B0B

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0B View Post
The windshield or windscreen as some call it on my 1929 standard phaeton had daylight showing around it on both sides in places and along the top too.I would guess the gap was almost 1/16th inch on both sides and the top in some locations . The glass I have is in good condition it is NOT the dual safety glass type but may be the newer safety type that breaks into all those tiny pieces when it gets hit ? There is a little circle etched in the glass and it says PARDONEX in the circle I never heard of a PARDONEX glass ? so if anyone knows what type glass this is I would sure like to know I want me and my family to be safe !

I took it apart today 02-09-2012 to check this out and found that the windshield was installed by applying black silicone rubber windshield sealer around it gluing it in the framethat was all there was in there . I had quite a time getting it out of the frame. I am wondering what is the best way to install the windshield now that I have it out AND do I have the correct SAFETY TYPE windshield glass ? the measurements are
41 & 1/4" or 41.25" across the top 40& 1/16" or 40.625" along the bottom and 13 & 1/8" tall or 13.125" tall on the sides measured right to the edge of the bare glass with a tape measure. The whole thing seems small to me ? Also where can I find instructions for the proper installation of the windshield glass so I can be sure I get it back in there correctly?

THANK YOU GUYS ! your the best ! B0B in Michigan
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
B0B

WRNDLN .A BIG THANK YOU ! Don't go out to the barn and measure the glass frame I sure appreciate the fact that you would go out and do that for me but since I have the glass measurements now from one of the other guys it is not necessary . You are one of those who make owning a Model A Ford a real pleasure .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Bob,
If no one else answers your questions, I have a 1929 phaeton windshield frame that I believe is an original that I could measure. It is up in the top of my barn and a little difficult to get to right now. I could dig it out and measure it if no one else provides the dimensions you need.
Rusty Nelson