Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default My what hearty souls . . . .

In reading many of the threads from Model A owners around the country, I frequently read about 'Winter', and about 'putting the Model A to rest for the Winter'. I read about COLD, and SNOW, and COLD.

However such readings for me (here in warm, sunny California) was much like reading a travel brochure about some far distant and exotic land.

However, after what now appears to be the end of California's severe 4 year drought, and a return to more normal weather conditions, I am reminded that it can get cold here in California too ! In a break from our normal night time lows of 38 - 42 degrees, last night was COLD . . . . well, cold for us - 26 degrees. It is now 10 am here in Eureka and it is still only 30 degrees.

This 'cold snap' back to the reality of the real world makes me appreciate the endurance and stoic perseverance of a very hearty group of people who live in the colder regions of this great country. As I sit here freezing and looking out at a vast sea of white, I can't help but to admire those of you who wear winter with such great cheerfulness and aplomb.

Merry Christmas to all ! And to all, a HAPPY NEW YEAR !

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, California
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
mshmodela

Default Re: My what hearty souls . . . .

45F here in Cleveland... Since November 1, 2015 there has been only 3 days in which we've not hit 40F or warmer... Given Feb. 2015 we avg. 15F I'm digging it!!! A small dusting of snow on Dec 18th that did not last until 12 noon is our snow for the season thus far.

However, warmer means my friend 3 miles north of me will not freeze over (Lake Erie) and this will likely happen more:

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 12-27-2015 at 12:48 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Got about an inch of snow overnight. Roads were icy when I left the house at 8:15 am. Now it is noon and the temp is 26, with a windchill of -9 and cloudy sky's. More snow likely while I working tonight. Temps not supposed to be back above freezing for atleast another week. It will be good to have this blood clot taken care of soon so my right foot won't be so painfully cold out in the miserable weahter. Rod
Old 12-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
foxfire42

I love doing donuts in the snow with my A. It never ceases to amaze me how well it drives in the white flakes of winter.

Decades ago our club went from western WA over the mountains for a gathering on the East side of the cascades. We all left the tour early as there was a report of an incoming snow storm. All but 3 of us went down to go over Snoqualmie pass. Away the 3 A's went over Stevens. Yes, there was a storm but the roads were clear of cars as all the chickens went South. We all were home sitting around the comfort of the fireplace while the others were stuck on the pass. I felt sorry for those who drove roadsters.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
George Miller

It has been in the 70ts here for the last few days. set some records high temps.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Ted Duke

65 degrees here in Shenandoah Valley (Lexington, Virginia area) on Christmas Day, same as in 1915. Cooler today and still raining, making up for the drought we had this summer that was NOT recognized by NOAA.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Brendan

its been cold hear in Santa Rosa ca

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Everything is opposite this year... Shorts yesterday and shorts again tomorrow. Yahhhooo
Almost had to de-tarp the a/c units yesterday the house was like a sauna
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Seems this year my village has spent more time in the Mississippi than out of it. Nine times, traffic has had to be averted off of Front St (I only have three streets), four times last Spring/Summer and five times this Fall/Winter. New record for amount of times and.....winter flooding. I don't expect Sarah's trip to St Louis for winter work will be this year, river too high and ferries will be closed, maybe Larry will take the scenic trip around.

My Christmas was today.....I got a nice portrait of Greta when she was 19, another when she was 24, got a nice collection of old 78s of Jazz and Blues from an estate sale in excellent condition (old people knew how to take care of their things) and a few other wee bits................

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Synchro909

36 degrees on Christmas day (97F) but much cooler today. As I type this, it is 20C (68F) and the bush fires are coming under control.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
old car guy

Sorry some of you are having the colder temps. Here in Tampa another record for the daily temp was broken today 86 feels like mid June and no cool spell insight. Hot humid and still sweaty . Hope all had a safe and great holiday .
Old 12-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
36 degrees on Christmas day (97F) but much cooler today. As I type this, it is 20C (68F) and the bush fires are coming under control.
Your bush fires are making the national news here................me, I'll have me very own billabong soon..................

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
Jwilli

In Ga 71 degrees at 7:30pm. Doors and windows open.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #14
caboose

In the 70's here today; but, tornados popping up all too frequently.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
Goldhardt

I'm guessing that someone got a new riding mower for Christmas. While out driving today I noticed fresh cut green grass in the road. For the day after Christmas in central Ohio, that is just too weird!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
al's28/33

Best Wishes Doug....yes I am shhhhhivvvvverrrrring here in my barn at 52 degrees high temp today. I think we are in for a wet winter while the boys in the East get our sun.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #17
Cool Hand Lurker

Last night I was coming home late at night from a family Christmas gathering when the snow hit. The next 50 miles was at 20-25 mph and 40-60 foot visibility, trying to see the roadway through the blowing snow. That was the first time I was glad to hear the rumble strips in the middle and on the edge of the highway. Rumble was my navigator.

Denny B in normal cold Minnesota
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #18
Pete

Smile Re: My what hearty souls . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
In reading many of the threads from Model A owners around the country, I frequently read about 'Winter', and about 'putting the Model A to rest for the Winter'. I read about COLD, and SNOW, and COLD.

However such readings for me (here in warm, sunny California) was much like reading a travel brochure about some far distant and exotic land.

However, after what now appears to be the end of California's severe 4 year drought, and a return to more normal weather conditions, I am reminded that it can get cold here in California too ! In a break from our normal night time lows of 38 - 42 degrees, last night was COLD . . . . well, cold for us - 26 degrees. It is now 10 am here in Eureka and it is still only 30 degrees.

This 'cold snap' back to the reality of the real world makes me appreciate the endurance and stoic perseverance of a very hearty group of people who live in the colder regions of this great country. As I sit here freezing and looking out at a vast sea of white, I can't help but to admire those of you who wear winter with such great cheerfulness and aplomb.

Merry Christmas to all ! And to all, a HAPPY NEW YEAR !

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, California
I went through your town twice last week when it was snowing, blowing, raining etc etc....Neat stuff...Just like here all winter.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
Sorry some of you are having the colder temps. Here in Tampa another record for the daily temp was broken today 86 feels like mid June and no cool spell insight. Hot humid and still sweaty . Hope all had a safe and great holiday .
Record in Lauderdale also. I'm may have to order different reducer for the high temps. Expected the 70's this time of year not the high 80's!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #20
SeaSlugs

been raining all dang day here in central Il. Thunderstorms and all. Check out radar not sure when its supposed to stop.