Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default Original intake manifolds

Is there a difference between intake manifolds for "A" motors (221 ci, 38-41) and the 59AB 239 ci motors?
Thanks,
Larry Young
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Original intake manifolds

I know very little about it, but believe there are differences even year to year on the early manifolds. Not sure if they are consistent within the 38-41 range.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Jim in Wisconsin

The mounting bolt pattern seems to be the same all the while, but there are a lot of differences in the generator and fuel pump mountings, and vacuum outlets (inlets?).
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
scooder

Lots of Small difference manifold details. Vacuum take offs is one to watch 're the gasket sealing. Carb mounting face, some (earlier) have a third small hole open to the exhaust heat, not good for a 94, can burn the power valve.
Interestingly, when the 97 was replaced with the Chandler and groves 94, Ford still used the wrong manifold for a time. A 59A manifold has a divorced carb mounting, like the 8BA And 8RT.
Martin
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Kube

Jim is correct in regard to the generator mounting area and vacuum port(s) being different. 1938... all were aluminum while 1939 had a mix of aluminum and cast iron intakes. 1940 - '41 were all cast iron. 1938 - 1941 appeared very much the same. Of course the aluminum intakes, while identical to themselves were different than the cast iron intakes of those same years. All had two vacuum ports near the block mounting surface.
The 1942 - 1948 intakes were very different from the earlier designs. All were cast iron. The shape of the carburetor mounting base was different than the earlier design as was the area where the generator mounted. Also, they now had but one vacuum port, that being "moved" to just below the carburetor mounting flange.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
Cartravel

Is there documentation available to identify what I've got or should I post photos?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Photos are always good!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Cartravel

Ok, here are photos of 5 manifolds. I actually have two others. Not sure how I ended up with so many. I think they may reproduce in the dark. Of these 5 there are three different types. In the photo showing all 5, the 2nd and 3rd appear to be the same. I think they are 59AB. They have the necked down area below the carb and the vacuum take off is on the side of the pedestal via a banjo fitting. The last two have no neck down area, a higher generator mount and there are 2 vacuum ports on the left that communicate with the two ports beneath. They also have the heat hole under the carb. The nearest has the necked down pedestal, but has the two vacuum ports on the side, so its design is intermediate between the other two types. Which would be like a 1940? I believe the oldest block I have is a 21 stud '37 block and the newest is a 59AB. Thanks for the help.
Larry Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4140074.jpg (45.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P4140076.jpg (72.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
scooder

Far as I know,
The second and third, 59A
Fourth and fifth, seen them fitted in factory photos up to 1939, even though it has the third (exhaust heat) hole which can burn the power valve on 1938 and later Chandler and groves Ford Holley 94.
First one, I'd say pre 59A (war time) as it has the early vacuum ports twix the runners. Took one off a Bren gun engine same as first manifold.
Can't say when they went from last two style too first one though, Kube will know, this is his territory (correct part for 1940 Ford)
if he don't see this, start a thread titled "correct intake manifold for 1940" sure he'll be over it like stink on a pig.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote