Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
CWilson

Default Is my fan OK?

I've read a lot on here lately that some fans can break and injure or at the least do serious damage to the vehicle and engine. Still being "green", could you guys enlighten me?

Thanks, Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Is my fan OK?

This is my original.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0565.jpg (43.0 KB, 90 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
ModAfan

A picture IS worth a thousand words.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
pat in Santa Cruz

the 4 blade fan you have came from Ford as a replacement. It was original on a B engine. While not as easily broken as the original 2 blade A fan, they are old, and they can and do break from metal fatigue. I've been there on a tour when a 4 blade disintegrated on a member's car. Not to mention that with the 4 blade fan, a repair or replacement to the water pump requires removing the radiator. With a 2 blade fan, you can remove the radiator rods and top hose, pull the radiator forward a bit, rotate the 2 blades to horizontal, and remove and replace the pump without removing the radiator.

The reproduction aluminum 2 blade fan has been shown in a Model A Times article to cool better than the 4 blade as well as to be durable and reliable and ( happily) cheaper than the alternatives. I would replace that fan when I had the opportunity if it was on a driver that was driven often.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
the 4 blade fan you have came from Ford as a replacement. It was original on a B engine. While not as easily broken as the original 2 blade A fan, they are old, and they can and do break from metal fatigue. I've been there on a tour when a 4 blade disintegrated on a member's car. Not to mention that with the 4 blade fan, a repair or replacement to the water pump requires removing the radiator. With a 2 blade fan, you can remove the radiator rods and top hose, pull the radiator forward a bit, rotate the 2 blades to horizontal, and remove and replace the pump without removing the radiator.

The reproduction aluminum 2 blade fan has been shown in a Model A Times article to cool better than the 4 blade as well as to be durable and reliable and ( happily) cheaper than the alternatives. I would replace that fan when I had the opportunity if it was on a driver that was driven often.
The 1932 Model B used the late '31 Model A style fan. The 4 blade fan was part number 46 8600 and introduced in 1933. The green bible shows the 4 blade fan (46 8600) as being the replacement fan for 1928 through 1934 four cylinder cars and trucks. The 4 blade fans are less likely to have a blade come off but that doesn't give me a real warm feeling. I think the current 2 blade aluminum fan is the way to go. Some of the early ones had problems and that is why I have included the word "current".

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Joe K

Owner of a 4 blade fan on my Gordon-Smith Compressor.

The usual mode of failure I've seen for the 4 blade is failure of the rivets.

Has anyone had the blade rendered asunder (as in splitting at the rivet holes?)

It might be possible to improve one's chances if they replaced the rivets with high strength bolts?

Just thinking out loud here.

Joe K
Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
...The usual mode of failure I've seen for the 4 blade is failure of the rivets...

It might be possible to improve one's chances if they replaced the rivets with high strength bolts?

Just thinking out loud here.

Joe K
The rivets did indeed let loose and cost me a new radiator. Almost within weeks, same thing happened to my friend, only he caught it before it took out his radiator.

He took both fans, had the blades inspected for cracks, and there were none. He replaced the rivets with high strength aircraft bolts with self locking nuts. Both fans are still being used with great success.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
Brobrian

You may, I say may have stumbled on the one things these old pros all agree on. Two-blade is nearly universally preferred for the reasons sited above. Plus, they look better. Sort of "older".
Old 01-24-2015, 11:27 PM   #9
daveymc29

When that four blade becomes a three blade you will probably become a believer. I have had experience with both two and four blade fans in the last couple of years. One cost me a radiator core, the other cost a friend a hood section and hood repaint, plus some straightening of the cooling fins on the radiator and soldering a couple of tubes. For me, not worth the gamble. Aluminum or plastic on mine. JMHO FWIW
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
CWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
When that four blade becomes a three blade you will probably become a believer. I have had experience with both two and four blade fans in the last couple of years. One cost me a radiator core, the other cost a friend a hood section and hood repaint, plus some straightening of the cooling fins on the radiator and soldering a couple of tubes. For me, not worth the gamble. Aluminum or plastic on mine. JMHO FWIW
I am a believer, that's why I asked. I will definitely be removing the 4 blade and installing a 2 blade aluminum based on the recommendations by everyone. Thanks again for the help!

As a side note, everyone always says "don't throw anything away". Is this one of those things I can throw away? If it's not safe, I don't see any point in keeping it.

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
I am a believer, that's why I asked. I will definitely be removing the 4 blade and installing a 2 blade aluminum based on the recommendations by everyone. Thanks again for the help!

As a side note, everyone always says "don't throw anything away". Is this one of those things I can throw away? If it's not safe, I don't see any point in keeping it.

Chris
It will make an excellent wall hanging
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I have a two blade aluminum fan to be installed end of March. My four blade fan is cracked. I drive with all fingers crossed and constant Hail Mary's coming from my mouth and I'm not even Catholic. Let's say, the fear of the Four Blade Cracked Fan God was put in me here at the Ford Barn.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
beechboy

Removed my 4 blade last week and replaced with the new style 2 blade fan. I could see some rust streaks coming from the fan rivets,( not sure if that means anything). I was going to rebuild my pump anyway so now I have one less thing to worry about. Replace the pump studs with the new style bolts that look like studs and new belt too. They did a nice job of making that 2 bladed fan too.
beechboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
Joe K

Probably worth keeping as example of what didn't work.

"Those who are unaware of the past are doomed by fate to repeat their mistakes."

Paraphrase George Santayana.

Joe K
Old 01-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

You can use the old fan to make a whirligig.

I sure wouldn't be driving with a known cracked fan.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #16
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

I sure wouldn't be driving with a known cracked fan.
I have a 50+ mile trip to make end of March to Larry's house. It will not be a worry free trip.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I have a 50+ mile trip to make end of March to Larry's house. It will not be a worry free trip.
Were it a matter of necessity to make the trip NOW, I would say remove the fan blades and go above 20 mph. You'll be fine.

Given you have time, just go pop the money and buy a decent two or six blade fan. It's cheap insurance on both making the trip without incident - and for possible damage incurred along the way. (Could be up to a grand depending on radiator/hood damage.)

Besides - we'd hate to lose an example of what doesn't work to a bigger example of why it didn't.

Joe K
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
31 Model A

Quote:
Were it a matter of necessity to make the trip NOW, I would say remove the fan blades and go above 20 mph. You'll be fine.

Given you have time, just go pop the money and buy a decent two or six blade fan. It's cheap insurance on both making the trip without incident - and for possible damage incurred along the way. (Could be up to a grand depending on radiator/hood damage.)

Besides - we'd hate to lose an example of what doesn't work to a bigger example of why it didn't.

Joe K
I have already purchased a replacement two blade fan. The reason why I don't change it out is, I don't have the facility nor the tools to do it, nor the experience. If I did, I would have already done it. I'm thinking seriously of having it transported to Larry's house and not having the worry.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
Joe K

Do you have a trade school nearby with young mechanics in training who would take great delight in being involved?

Or even bring the new fan and drive the car to a modern Ford garage? They might charge you $90 an hour for the work - but they might also do it for free just for the photo-op.

Gosh, I would like to see/try that myself.

Fred Baldelli of the Chevy garage in Westboro, MA was a mentor of sorts to me. He drove daily a 1936 Ford pickup to his work - but having started as a mechanic and worked his way up to shop manager everyone knew WHY Fred insisted on driving that old Ford. And not one of them was without envy of Fred, both for his talent with tools AND for his antique truck.

And surprisingly, people like Fred are still around - still in the auto trades - and are worth knowing when and where you can find them.

I wish I was closer - I would fix you up in about 30 minutes.

Good luck. Don't drive a broken fan.

Joe K
Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #20
31 Model A

Quote:
I wish I was closer - I would fix you up in about 30 minutes.

Joe K
Thanks....wish you were closer too. No trade school around here, just a lot of moonshine stills.