Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default '40 Pickup Doors

I'm restoring a '40 pickup and have been working on the doors. Disassembling this rusty stuff through that one little panel opening has turned into a challenge. I've been working on four doors and have got them all apart except for one lock mechanism and one window mechanism. I screwed up by cutting off the outside door handle, because I could not get it to slide out (too much rust). Are there tricks to getting these things apart. I wonder if they were assembled before the door skin was put on. I'm reaching the desperation point where I'm thinking of cutting holes in the doors. If I do finally get it apart, the window channel holders are probably gonna need replacement, due to all my bashing around. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Cartravel

Default Re: '40 Pickup Doors

I meant to say that I haven't got one lock mechanism out and one door opening mechanism. I've got all the window mechanisms out.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
skidmarks

Take the screws out of the door handle and with your thumb push in the latch tang about 3-16 of an inch and pull the outside handle out. Oil it up good and wiggle and push it in and out. The handle has notches in the square shank that fit into the latch. It won't just pull out with the screws removed.

Once you get it out you will understand it better
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Cartravel

Most of these doors didn't have outside handles on them. One I was able to just pull out. This one seemed to be rusted solid. I probably screwed up by cutting it off. Now I can't get it past the window channel. I may need to remove the channel, which appears to be rivited in.

What about the door locks? I popped the cap off of it. I notice there is some access through the end panel, but can't see how to get it out. I suspect there is a key slot somewhere.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Cartravel

I also have a problem with some of the hinges. The bottom ones appear to have taken a beating. One must have frozen up, but some idiot continued to open it anyway, so the sheet metal is all bent up. I'm trying to get two good doors from four, but all the bottom hinges look bad. I will also need to do some work on the bottom door skins.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
V12Bill

The locks are held in place by a set screw that you access through a 1/4" hole in the jamb of the door. Use a lot of penetrating oil and let it soak as it has probably been there for 73 years. The hinges are riveted or welded to the door and it is a major operation to remove and replace them. Most repair the hinge portion that is attached to the door as complete hinges are nearly impossible to come by unless you come across a damaged door.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Bob G/Spanaway

I cut a big chunk out of the inner panel to get at the bottom hinge and screwed up window channels in my '40 PU doors.
Mine weren't rusty but they were really trashed.
Drivers door had been bent forward and mashed into the fender.
MANY hours later it looks pretty good.
Bob G/Spanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
malpais

I found it easiest to remove some metal, either inside or outside, to work on my 39 PU doors. Others on the forum said they had too.

Was really surprising to see how the inner structure where the lower hinges attach was damaged. May want to look at http://www.jefflilly.com/fabrication/36-door-fit/.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 door crease hole.jpg (35.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 39 driver hinge.jpg (47.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Cartravel

Thanks for the tip on the lock. It appears to be an allen head screw.

Glad to hear others have cut into the sheet metal. I have 4 doors to work with, but all have damaged lower hinges. I was thinking I would try to make one good one from two damaged ones. I may have to replace some rivits by screws.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
malpais

Cartravel,

Still recommend you look at that site for lower door hinge issues. Both inner and outer steel in my door was bad. Cut out and replaced some of door covering the hinge after welding up inside structure. I replaced rivets with carriage head shaped socket (allen) screws. Looks good, but I'm just building a driver (I hope it's a driver!). I tried for many hours to straighten the lower door hinge area of skin, and finally cut out about 1' square and replaced it - much easier. I'm in the process of replacing a creased area also. Could have cut out inside or outside of door, but figured there would be some work on outside anyway.

Good Luck,

Gordon