Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Another insurance question

Specialty vehicles are all covered about the same. Antiques sometimes fall into a different category but bottom line is that there are no new parts from the OEM available for them and he OEM may no longer exist so the owner has to decide what the value is. Loyds of London will insure about anything and so will others but they are underwritten by a vary large group of insurers. A specialty vehicle can be anything from an antique car to one that you have built out of parts. If the local motor vehicle department will give you a road title, it can be operated on the street and it will have to be insured before it can be registered. If you can't insure it, you can't legally operate it.

In my book, a substantially altered or modified original car just becomes a custom. If it already has a title then you only have to worry about finding someone who will insure it. Specialty insurers will sometimes come to your residence to look at the vehicle (take photographs) or they will have you fill out a questionnaire that will usually cover them for modifications. They are aware that folks play with their toys but they will also want to know if the risk to insure has changed since the car was originally insured. If they don't do this and there are no rules governing alterations/modifications in their policy then that is their risk and not so much yours. It could still lead to litigation though. It just depends on fortune and misfortune and the policy fine print.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-12-2016 at 05:43 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #22
TomT/Williamsburg

I am late to the party here but .....

If you change your horsepower significantly via an engine change - say to an ohv V8 - then change your insurance to Grundy, Hagerty, (the two larger and better ones imho) or similar insurer that knows, understands, and has the experience to pay accordingly in the event of a total loss for your car.

An Antique insurer has an out if they see an engine change they were not notified of and may not pay or pay a lot less saying the value has changed.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #23
john in illinois

If I have a question such as this one,I always call my agent and ask. she then calls the company to get the correct answer. Often she will have to talk to more than one person.

This way you have an official answer,not a third party one.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #24
pre48V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Why would you presume that anyone on this forum can speak to what any given insurance company would or wouldn't cover?
It looks like you've received the answer to your question! I'm sure if you post another question, someone in the forum community will be willing to help out with any information they might have on that particular topic. I think that's wonderful! PRE48V-8\:^]

P.S./Great feedback from those Ford Barn members who responded in a helpful, positive way to the initial "hypothetical" question from this thread...
pre48V-8 is offline   Reply With Quote