Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #41
Roadster62

Default Re: facebook

QGolden, WHY in the world would I want to look at the above page you just mentioned and real about uncle George having a bowel movenent or whatever? Sounds like way more info than the "adverage" person needs to know.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #42
amdriven2liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
QGolden, WHY in the world would I want to look at the above page you just mentioned and real about uncle George having a bowel movenent or whatever? Sounds like way more info than the "adverage" person needs to know.
You only see what you want to see. Facebook is a great way to see what your family is doing. And, you don't see what all of their friends are doing.

We capture pictures and videos of the Grandson we watch 4 days a week. All of our family gets to see them instantly if they want. Mainly on their smart phones.

We get pictures of all the kids and grandkids all week long. And, a lot of them are moments that we would miss otherwise.

Then, each of us have our own "facebook pages" we "like". Our interests and hobbies. Yes, that Model A page I posted does put a lot of pictures up. But the fewer times you click on a page, the less facebook posts them to your page.

The one thing you need to know about facebook, DON'T collect friends for the sake of having more. Keep your facebook set to friends only.

Like the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words" And my wife and I must have a few million now!

And I know, that in the next few months, we will see a video, within minutes, of our Great Grandson take his first steps. He lives in Mexico. Whether I see it here at home on my laptop, or on my phone where ever I am.

Next up, "youtube" accounts! LOL

More Ford Barn folks could be doing things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwirH...=TLqWqWpijsRvg

1928 Model A "Special" Coupe.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #43
SDJason

Roadster62 - I'm not sure what sort of point you're trying to prove, other than that:
1) You vehemently dislike FaceBook
and
2) You have never been on FaceBook

It's a resource, like any other - it has pluses and minuses, also like any other resource. It's also the expected/preferred/given way to reach out to folks who are in their 30s and younger. If the Model A community doesn't want to see their cherished autos all turned into ratrods a few decades from now, guess what - that means engaging with younger folks who can become the next generation of Model A owners. One of those ways is to have a presence on FaceBook. Just because others are on there, YOU don't have to be, but likewise - don't start complaining when you notice that others ARE on FaceBook...

Last edited by SDJason; 08-31-2013 at 04:18 PM.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #44
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Well, obviously then it is not for you, and you should probably not be involved with it. Lots of thing are not for me either, but I just avoid them.

For me it is important to know what SELECT friends and family are up to. When my old Army Buddy posts that "Guys, Amie is gonna' be OK", then all of us that know her, and what their struggles they have been through, are aware, at the same time, that better roads await her, that is important to me. A dozen of us can all chime in and send them a warm message, and be glad for them.

When My Kids can post a quick, "Hey Dad, how are you today?" it is important to me. I hear from them more often 'cause they are posting to their friends at the same time, and I am making an effort to spend a part of my time in their world. Doesn't seem to me like too much effort on my part for a good payback.

Iffn' my Nephew is in a War Zone, moving SEAL's around, or in Japan on R&R that is important to me. I get a little relief when I hear that he is OK, since he is also with someone else important to me who does things that cannot be spoken about. If I see my Nephew Post I know that others are still OK. They deploy on Subs and disappear for 4 to 6 months at a time.

One post from any them notifies all of their friends and family at the same time that they are OK, and that is important to me. 'Cause it is not all about me.

As for Uncle George, if he is posting things such as Bowel Movements, I don't want to hear from him either. But then again, he would not be one of my friends, and I would never hear about him, or his bowel movements.

Just 'cause it is new (in my lifetime) does not mean it is bad. It is progress.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
Roadster62

I still send emails to family and friends, see no reason to change that.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #46
CarlG

The FountainHead Museum (Fairbanks, Alaska) has a Facebook page. I was pleased to see a group of the Alaskan A's shown in a video that was taken there summer 2012. On Facebook, they were advertising the upcoming Summer Solstace car show this coming June. My rig is the '31 pickup (with green wheels) that follows the '29 Blue Tudor, followed by the '31 Yellow Cab. Most of these cars in the "parade" made the trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks (400 Miles) for this event. We are planning on doing it again summer 2014.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #47
bart78

A good thing about Facebook. Is if you don't like what your hearing from someone. You can defriend them. A lot of good info on there. And I can communicate with some guys in afganistan and a few other places real easy.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #48
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
I've had Facebook for years. Completely safe. Not sure what your talking about as far as junk email. I've never received an email from anything to do with Facebook and the page can only have as much personal info on it as you put on it. MAFCA's facebook is just a place where Model A people can share pics of recent tour photos etc with other Model A lovers. If you don't like it, that's fine but its harmless.

Welcome to the WORLD...This is reality and this is the future and MAFCA and MARC have joined it and it is a wonderful foundation to share ideas, photos, and make friends.. Don't criticize until you have tried it...Welcome to the further of Social media!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #49
OHV DeLuxe

Forums like this and Facebook are both great ways of getting new vehicle related friends and to keep in touch with friends all over the world. To me that is easier on Facebook in one way and that is mostly why i`m there. My car friends in the States, Sweden other places in Norway etc seems a bit more close through that medium, its easier to sell stuff there and also to brag about the latest find
But Fordbarn is much more pure car interest and a great source for technical discussion and very interesting learning.
Even though MAFCA and other interest groups have joined Facebook, i don`t think it will replace forums like this for quite some time.

Last edited by OHV DeLuxe; 11-12-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Can`t spell!
OHV DeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #50
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV DeLuxe View Post
Forums like this and Facebook are both great ways of getting new vehicle related friends and to keep in touch with friends all over the world. To me that is easier on Facebook in one way and that is mostly why i`m there. My car friends in the States, Sweden other places in Norway etc seems a bit more close through that medium, its easier to sell stuff there and also to brag about the latest find
But Fordbarn is much more pure car interest and a great source for technical discussion and very interesting learning.
Even though MAFCA and other interest groups have joined Facebook, i don`t think it will replace forums like this for quite some time.
I agree.

And it does not have to be a "one or the other, take it or leave it" situation, either. Everyone can choose the form of communication that they prefer.

We are seeing a transition to more use of things like Facebook, especially in the younger generation (plus some us us older guys who like to embrace new stuff). There is no reason to be threatened by it. And, on the other hand, there is no reason to feel forced to join in if you don't want to.

It is similar to the transition from "land line" telephones at home to cell phones. Many people have both. Some people do not have a cell phone, they feel they don't need one. Many of the younger generation have only a cell phone and feel no need for a "land line" at home. All three groups of people can peacefully co-exist and communicate.

If we are going to attract and keep new, younger folks, we need to use the communications medium that they use. That does not mean we have to stop using the medium we have traditionally used. We can co-exist.

Last edited by Jim/TX/GA; 11-14-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #51
BILL WILLIAMSON

Opinion frum a Dog: Me & Ol' Bill do well without FACEBOOK! I kin see his FACE & he kin see my FACE. We're GOOD with that! Buster T.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #52
Elcastor

Bill,

You need to join Facebook, so I can see your face!

Just kidding!!
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #53
Ken Ehrenhofer

Talking Re: facebook

I am involved in the MARC Face Book frequently and have been very impressed with all of the friends we have made in South America and in Europe and I find they are just like us. Looking for parts and want to talk about the tours and picnics and fun things we all do all over the world. I now have new friends in Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Sweden and Norway.
I can assure you we have not had any problems with FB since our introduction and have enjoyed all the photos from all over the world. I think all of us should at least look into FB and see if it is for you......Actually it is for all of us World wide,
Ken
And I can click on translate to read the articles in a different language.
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #54
txturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
I agree.

And it does not have to be a "one or the other, take it or leave it" situation, either. Everyone can choose the form of communication that they prefer.

We are seeing a transition to more use of things like Facebook, especially in the younger generation (plus some us us older guys who like to embrace new stuff). There is no reason to be threatened by it. And, on the other hand, there is no reason to feel forced to join in if you don't want to.

It is similar to the transition from "land line" telephones at home to cell phones. Many people have both. Some people do not have a cell phone, they feel they don't need one. Many of the younger generation have only a cell phone and feel no need for a "land line" at home. All three groups of people can peacefully co-exist and communicate.

If we are going to attract and keep new, younger folks, we need to use the communications medium that they use. that does not mean we have to stop using the medium we have traditionally used. We can co-exist.
Hey Jim......who answers the email for the GHMARC? I sent an email on The 4th of this month and haven't received a response yet....
txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #55
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txturbo View Post
Hey Jim......who answers the email for the GHMARC? I sent an email on The 4th of this month and haven't received a response yet....
I know who used to do it. I will check with him and see what's up.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #56
txturbo

Thanks.....I was going to try and stop by the next meeting since it's not to far from me.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #57
Ted Duke

I know this has been beat to death, but my 2 cents worth. ONE comment only.

Whatever you think of FACEBOOK - keep in mind that the younger generationS (intentional capital S) are there and any Model A presence or any other antique car presence will only help keep the hobby alive. Might get a few kids away from their computers.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #58
txturbo

I agree....even if you only catch one kids attention it's worth it.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #59
binkbee

Facebook is absolutely the opposite of all the above suspicions! It is only what you want of it--just the people you care about and want to contact. I have kids hundreds of miles in most directions and it puts all "IN THE NEXT ROOM"! It has "PERSONAL" message values that allow only the one or groups of several, what-ever you arrange, to converse. I use it daily and have absolutely no complaints!
binkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #60
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
I know this has been beat to death, but my 2 cents worth. ONE comment only.

Whatever you think of FACEBOOK - keep in mind that the younger generationS (intentional capital S) are there and any Model A presence or any other antique car presence will only help keep the hobby alive. Might get a few kids away from their computers.
Yup, well said, do not complain if the younger generation(s) do not take interest in what you are interested in if you make no effort to show any interest in them, and if you choose to shun their preferred method of communication.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote