Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
amdriven2liv

Default Re: facebook

Something else to think about.

When using the internet, use 2 different email accounts. I actually have a number of them.

I use one on Yahoo for all things I join or when I purchase things on-line.

Then I have my "Family and Friends" email account.

The yahoo one gets maybe 50-80 emails a day. Mostly junk.

1928 Model A "Special" Coupe.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #22
Roadster62

Are FaceBook members reading The Ford Barn? If so are they replying to the posts and I can't see them since I'm not a FaceBook member? Bob
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #23
Mike in NRN IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Are FaceBook members reading The Ford Barn? If so are they replying to the posts and I can't see them since I'm not a FaceBook member? Bob
I use Fordbarn for text based discussions. It's a discussion board. Sharing pictures on fordbarn is not as easy as on Facebook.

Facebook is a tool for sharing short messages and pictures quickly.

They are similar, but not the same.

If I had to make an analogy - they are both wrenches - one is a 1/2 - 7/16 the other is 1/2 - 9/16. Same purpose, but different sizes.

I helped set up the MARC FB page and my daughter helped set up the MARC Youth Facebook page. It's just a way to keep connected for another demographic.

You have a choice in what you wish to use. Hopefully, you will dabble in either or all. It's all about sharing information and keeping the hobby alive.

Mike - l
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
amdriven2liv

Someone has a Model A facebook that has been posting a ton of photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M...26179370778581

1928 Model A "Special" Coupe.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Someone has a Model A facebook that has been posting a ton of photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M...26179370778581

Great pics there - but I had to "UnLike" it from within FaceBook and instead go directly there via the URL - they post so many photos, my FaceBook feed was almost drowning in Model As (blocking out everyone and everything else); that would be a good thing if my interests ran in only one direction, I suppose...
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
Pilotdave

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Roadster62 - yes - there are FaceBook members who are reading FordBarn. But they are on the FordBarn site when they're doing so. And when they are posting on FordBarn. Anyone posting on FordBarn is visible to all other FordBarn readers. If some FordBarn posters are also on Facebook, that has no affect on what happens on FordBarn. HTH.

Last edited by Pilotdave; 08-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
oliverguy

I like it. Check out the Lehigh Valley Model A club's facebook page.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
Roadster62

AGAIN........can I see whatever that is WITHOUT joining FACEBOOK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverguy View Post
I like it. Check out the Lehigh Valley Model A club's facebook page.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
Pilotdave

Just rewrote post #26 as it wasn't clearly answering Roadster62's questions. Hope the new version is more useful.

Roadster62 - I'm not sure you can view a Facebook page without first joining it. I just viewed it, but I am a Facebook member. Suggest that you do a search for "Lehigh Valley Model A Club Facebook Page" and see if you can view it as you are not a Facebook member.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
dlshady

Quote:
Roadster62, let's look at it this way. My Facebook page is like my personal diary, family photo album, journal and scrapbook all rolled into one big "book" (only it's a web page instead). On my Facebook I can post pictures of the office Christmas party, pictures of my 9 year old driving my Model A, really crude comments about my ex-wife, etc... I can place that book out on the sidewalk in front of my house so that anyone who walks past can flip through it and see whatever I've decided to include in my "book", or I can keep it on the coffee table in my living room so that only people who come to visit me can see what's inside. The difference is determined by how I choose to set my privacy settings on my account there. Just like on FordBarn where you have the option to prevent other members from emailing or messaging you, Facebook allows you the ability to set your account to private or public (there are a lot of other variables, but that's the gist of it).

In regards to your original question, I don't know if you can view the Lehigh Valley's page without being a member. It depends on how they've chosen to set their privacy settings. My suggestion would be to Google "Lehigh Valley Facebook page" and find out. I'm on my way out the door right now and don't have time to check, but if you haven't found out by this evening I'll check it for you.

Rest assured though, clicking on a link to someone's Facebook page isn't going to make your computer explode. I promise!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
SDJason

Quote:

I just tried it without being logged into FaceBook, and saw their page without problem (although there was a small annoying popup box that asks you to sign up for FaceBook, you don't have to to view it) - here's the link: Lehigh Valley Model A Club FaceBook Page

Once you're there, you'll be looking at their "timeline" - a reverse-chronological order listing of everything they've posted

You can click on the "Photos" link to see, well, photos, and the "About" link to get some general information about them.

Experimenting some more, the MAFCA FaceBook page seems to be viewable as well (without having a FaceBook account), and the other Model A FaceBook page that's full of photos too...
Old 08-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #32
QGolden

Quote:
No. You cannot.

If you have a Facebook account then your browser "knows" that (via cookie) and if you go to a Facebook page then it allows you to do some viewing depending on the security level chosen by the owner.

SDJason, as a Facebook member you could see pictures without "friending" the owner even not "logged in".

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
SDJason

Roadster62 - I suggest you just try clicking on the links and see what happens...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #34
Roadster62

What prevents ever low life dirt ball on FaceBook from sending me unwanted crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
Roadster62 - I suggest you just try clicking on the links and see what happens...
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
SDJason

Quote:
What prevents ever low life dirt ball on FaceBook from sending me unwanted crap?

If you're not logged into FaceBook, they'll have no idea who you are, or how to reach you. Since you don't have a FaceBook account, and don't plan to set one up, you'll be safe from pretty much anything. The one limitation will be that you'll be able to look, but not post. - kinda like peeking in through someone else's window without them knowing about it.

For even more peace of mind, another thing to try (depending on which browser you're using, they might be called different things), is to set your browser to "Private" browsing - at least that's the term Firefox and Safari use - not sure offhand what Internet Explorer calls the equivalent. Actually, this last piece of advice is good to use for ANY website that you're unsure of.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #36
QGolden

Unless you "friend" them, no one can send you anything except a "friend request". Then you decide if you want to connect or not. If you do connect and change your mind, you can "unfriend " them in a single click. They do not even get a notice that you have unfriend them.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
ctvpa

Great Job, the site is very well done, and enjoyable. Hat's off to all of you who developed it.
I see many people are suspicious of Facebook, but you don't have to get any email, just enjoy communicating with other Model A lovers.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #38
dlshady

Quote:

Viewing a page on the Facebook website is no different than viewing a page on the FordBarn website, your local news station's website, amazon.com's website or any other website that you might visit. I have a hard time understand why some people have developed this unsubstantiated fear of Facebook. It's a website like any other one where people are allowed to join and communicate. In fact, people should be more worried about posting on places like FordBarn because anybody in the world can log on here and read what you wrote, whereas with Facebook you have full control of who is allowed to see your stuff.

Just out of curiosity, what has caused you to be so leery of one particular website?

Disclaimer: I'm not connected with Facebook in any way, shape or form. In fact, I hardly ever get on there other than to send birthday wishes or shoot a message to old friends from college. I just find it quite interesting that there are so many people who are scared to death of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
<snip>
For even more peace of mind, another thing to try (depending on which browser you're using, they might be called different things), is to set your browser to "Private" browsing - at least that's the term Firefox and Safari use - not sure offhand what Internet Explorer calls the equivalent. Actually, this last piece of advice is good to use for ANY website that you're unsure of.

Internet Explorer calls it "InPrivate Browsing", but it's only available in versions IE10 and above (I think). Google Chrome also has their own version but to be honest, I'm more wary of using Google products than anything from Facebook! No telling what kind of dirt Google has on me! I could never run for public office... LOL!

Last edited by dlshady; 08-30-2013 at 10:14 PM.
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #39
Roadster62

I still don't understand the big push to FaceBook everything. If I can click on the Lehigh Valley Model A website from here why would I want to go through a second step and click on FaceBook then the Lehigh Valley page? If I want a roll of Duct Tape and can get it at Home Depot I go there, I don't walk past the Duct Tape display in Home Depot throught the lot and into Lowes buy a roll of tape there then follow the same route back home.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #40
QGolden

Quote:
I still don't understand the big push to FaceBook everything. If I can click on the Lehigh Valley Model A website from here why would I want to go through a second step and click on FaceBook then the Lehigh Valley page? If I want a roll of Duct Tape and can get it at Home Depot I go there, I don't walk past the Duct Tape display in Home Depot throught the lot and into Lowes buy a roll of tape there then follow the same route back home.
That is a good analogy, but a little off the mark. It is not just about the Lehigh page. If it were (and it is in your world) then you are right.

You need to understand that Folks, Clubs, and Groups that use Facebook have access to a larger audience. Individuals have access to more information in one place. If i was a member of the Lehigh Model A Facebook page, I would see (all on one page! ) new input from Lehigh Club Folks at the same time that I look for updates from my Kids on the other coast, and at the same time see if my old Army Buddy's Wife got her last round of Chemotherapy yet in Germany. And my nephew on that Nuke Sub, has he reached Japan yet or is he still off the coast of Korea?
All this on one News Feed page.