Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #21
pooch

Default Re: This is a site for stock restoration.

I tried the hamb, but found it irritating.

Old posts about 100 pages long that are just added and added to and all makes of car, of which I have no interest in.

I asked Ryan if he could start a model T and model A HOT ROD (only ) forum.

He said NO....

If I had the knowledge I would make one.

I am into stock bodied model A/s but something can that be driven safely at highway speeds, and NOT being told that a good model A will do 65 MPH flat out....huh?, at absolute flat out 65 MPH speeds all day, you will blow the crank out on the road and still be run over by trucks .

Not as much fun as a nice stock looking rod cruising effortlessly at 80 MPH.

I also have an original phaeton and an original pickup, so know what is best for me.

I know I will get jumped on here as the OP is by some, but if you in live in a glass house, you should not throw stones with your Mitchell overdrives, your HC heads, your inserted bearings, your F100 steering boxes, your float motor engine mounts, etc etc etc....the list of non-stock here is a long one.....

I hang about here, because the hamb does not satisfy my need for knowledge on stock model A bodies and chassis over there.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #22
700rpm

"This is a site for stock restoration fellas. We are purists. Case closed." How can there be any questions? If the owner of the site states the rules as unequivocally as that, we should respect them. We are guests here. He didn't condemn anyone; he simply and clearly stated the rules.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

RyanB I sent you a PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
"This is a site for stock restoration fellas. We are purists. Case closed." How can there be any questions? If the owner of the site states the rules as unequivocally as that, we should respect them. We are guests here. He didn't condemn anyone; he simply and clearly stated the rules.
Where in this thread did Ryan make these comments?? Am I blind? The Dog didn't see it either & he doesn't need glasses. Bill W.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Where in this thread did Ryan make these comments?? Am I blind? The Dog didn't see it either & he doesn't need glasses. Bill W.
Read post number 30 on the thread "master Cylinder for 1929...."
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Read post number 30 on the thread "master Cylinder for 1929...."
Thank you, Mike. Bill W.

I didn't follow that thread in the beginning. If this site is for THE PURIST ONLY, I guess I DON'T fit in???? Maybe burnout is approaching?? Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-08-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #27
Joe K

Sad to say, Mike has it spot on. See http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=30 active link which should bring you directly to it.

But let us define inhale. After that let us define "purist."

Without further direction from the driver, perhaps we who are less than pure can hang onto the running boards?

I hope so. It's been a fun ride so far.

Um, driver, watch for the stop sign up ahead? (He says pointing)

Maybe like that other board I inhabit, we can have a "prefix" which kind of gives a heads up to what the post might contain? Perhaps a "fine point" prefix, a Touring Class prefix, a Safety prefix, a vintage hot rod prefix, a "outta this world" prefix for those whose money or ambition can't be contained.

If you don't want to see anything in these areas - don't click! Life is simple when you have choices - and you know what you want.

Meanwhile, don't expect me to remove my stainless steel spark and accelerator rods. It was heartbreaking enough when the chrome wore through after three years and the rods started rusting. I just can't handle that kind of disappointment again!

Joe K
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

I see it this way, when you drive on the road there are certain rules to follow, speed limits, stop signs, traffic light, no U turn, school zone and on and on.

Some people follow these to the letter, driving at speed 35 miles an hour no matter how long the line is behind them. Others push the limits, they drive 5, 6 miles over the limit, maybe roll through a stop sign, make a right on red. And still others figure if I don't see them all bets are off.

When a person is stopped they say, the speed limit is too slow, the stop sign had a bush in front, the guy in front of me did it why stop me, everybody does it. But does any of that change the fact that the driver was in the wrong? Is it the policing agency fault that the meter just ran out, or there was no parking spaces? Some days you get away with it some days not.

It's the same here on this site. Post what you want, when the policing agency stops you, you know you have gone to far and now you know the limits thats all. Your not going to jail, you don't have to pay a fine. Oh well I goofed and life goes on.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #29
Kevin in NJ

This is a site for information.

You also have to understand there is a difference between being a purist and doing the job right.

My main argument is the Model A suffers from too much mis-information.

It is not hard to arrive at the conclusion, by listening to people at shows, comments in the club magazines, and comments here on the board that the original A was not very reliable and needs all kinds of modifications. In fact, one year at Hershey, I listened to well known company selling alternators and came away wondering how the A survived 2 days from the factory with a generator.

Most people believe the Model A is only good to 45 MPH. For good reasons sadly, most do not know that Ford designed the the A to run 60 MPH and can run safely and comfortably run 55 all day long- from the factory. Because of poor restoration techniques because of a lot of bad information or just a lack of desire to do the job right most cars are run only up to 45 MPH. Quite frankly most of the cars that are good to 45 MPH I feel are not safe past 30.

SO my point..

When someone comes on and says I am converting to safer juice brakes.

When some comes and says I need to convert to an alternator cause gen cant put out enough.

When someone comes on and claims they have put on a float a motor.

When someone comes on and claims they need new steering box cause the old one wont work.

When someone comes on and wants to change to modern points because you can not get the old types on the road.

Well these are people that do not understand something about their cars. Someone should take the time to explain that their reasons are not sound in why they want to make a change. At some point we need to educate people about their car and how they were designed to be built. If we do not then 50 years from now two things can happen. We have almost no original Model A systems and we lose the knowledge on how to properly bring the original parts back to factory specifications.

NOW please keep in mind I am not advocating purism with our cars. I am advocating education and understanding, not the lemmings leap to all modern parts cause the old stuff can not work. Clearly people are doing different things with their cars and there are times when some changes make sense. But do you think blind changes because everyone else is doing it a good reason?

As it turns out, if you take the time to properly restore the factory mechanical tolerances to the A you end up with a very reliable car. A car that should only need lubrication and occasional adjustments over a 40 year period with mild driving. Keep in mind this does not mean you have to have the exact correct for the month of build parts. I know my chassis is a mix of parts, but they are all pretty close to factory and hopefully I did not screw up too much. Building the A back to factory is almost like building a race car.

Last edited by Kevin in NJ; 02-08-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
Ryan
Administrator

This site should, in fact, focus on the stock and pure restoration. And we try to... However, there are sidebars... And I'm fine with that. So long as these sidebars don't run off the purists.

That's all...

RyanB, you are all good man. Don't sweat it.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #31
ScottNW/Ohio

It's all good, we're all about safety, reliability, and originality here.
Just be carefull about questions about putting in a small block and mustang II front end - that's when things can go off the rails here
We're glad to help, honest
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #32
amodel25

I have an oil filter and an alternator (6v pos ground).........should I leave????
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Aok

If it were me I would I post my juice brakes and other modified related questions on the Hamb and all the stock questions here. If for no other reason that there is more knowledge on modified vehicles on the Hamb as more people have done in so better feedback. I personally do not care what you post if not interested I just move on to another post.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #34
newshirt

I lurked on this forum for a few months before buying my Model A. And for another year after, I was secure in the knowledge that Model A's came from the factory with hydraulic brakes, 16" tires, and alternators. I thank the nutty purists for finally persuading me. Don't push them out!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
Roadster62

Both The Ford Barn and the HAMB are great sites, filled with information to keep old Ford projects moving along. You just need to pick and choose and word your questions so you get the info you need. "Restoration" has as many definitions, and the restored side of the hobby has far too many "experts". A comment of "Nice car!" vs, " You know that is wrong, Ford didn't do that, and that isn't right." can be a big turn off for a lot of people. Read the original posts, and try to understane what level of "Restoration" the vehicle is to recieve before jumping down the guys neck. Bob

Last edited by Roadster62; 02-08-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #36
zzlegend

Poor old Ryan B. just came here to ask a question about his Model A, and look what happened. Its still a Model A. Why dont people just help the guy out that have done this instead of bringing up the Hamb? Everyone on here that has Hydraulic Brakes on your Model A please raise your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alot of good information on here Ryan B. You just have to get past the few whiners.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #37
RyanB

I appreciate everyone's comments. I would very much like to stay on the site as I love the expert information and to see everyone's cars. I feel I should expain more about my decision with my brakes. As I mentioned before I am building a 1929 coupe that was my great grandfathers with my granfather from parts because the car was taken apart for some reason. My grandfather had made up his mind to change all of his cars to juice brakes before he gave me the car to rebuild. I felt like I needed to follow through with his plan but left everything on the car so I could switch back to original when I wanted. This decision has been a tough one since I am running stock on everything else down to all original bolts.
After the response to my question about juice brakes I spent all day yesterday driving my grandfathers 29 sedan and coupe, one with original brakes and the other with juice brakes. I am really torn but since I have allready purchased, reconditioned, and installed 1948 backing plates, brakes, and drums I decided to stick with the juice brakes for now. I have kept all of the original parts and when my grandfather passes in the next few years I will be back asking advide on how to install the original brakes properly. I have spent a lot of money and time restoring and rebuilding this car and yesterday I guess I felt like my efforts were null and void because of my brakes.
I love model A's and am doing all of the restoration work myself from the engine down to the paint and upholstery. I will need a lot of advice in the next few months so I hope I have not worn out my welcome.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #38
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Poor old Ryan B. just came here to ask a question about his Model A, and look what happened. Its still a Model A. Why dont people just help the guy out that have done this instead of bringing up the Hamb? Everyone on here that has Hydraulic Brakes on your Model A please raise your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alot of good information on here Ryan B. You just have to get past the few whiners.
✋ lol my cars had hydraulic brakes since the mid 90's I guess. It's been up and down the east coast, the central unites states, in just about every county in Texas, and even into Mexico. And yes it has a 4 speed overdrive. And not up until about 2 years ago did It receive a weber car, electronic ignition, and then A/C and a newly inserted touring motor last year.... So sorry that my car isn't bone stock, but it gets the piss driven out of it when it gets driven. And it'll get on down the road almost as well as a modern car. I have nothing against stock model a's. I think they're great. But when I'm touring or driving, I like to get there in a timely and safe manor. In Texas you can't get on the highway going under 55-60 or you'll get run over... Ask me about the club members that have been hit from behind. I think there is a lot of "gray" area in what people interpret the word restoration to mean. But I think there's a place for everyone on this forum as Long as we aren't discussing small block and big block installations.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
zzlegend

Welcome back Ryan B.
And well said Logan.
Now i have to get back to my blown big block in my 41 Willys.................OOPS,,,
wrong forum,,,,,,,Sorry.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #40
Terry, NJ

MONEY is my great determinator. I have two Mod. As, a 30 coupe and a 30 Town Sedan 4dr. I simply don't have the cash to go off buying expensive parts. So I try to make them wherever possible. My T.S. needed new wood, lot's of it! so I cut down an Ash tree and had it milled into lumber and made a considerable amount of my own wood. I bought some and made the rest. Stock? Hardly! Both cars came with juice brakes 1946 -48 configuration. Am I going to leave them be? You bet! The coupe stops fine! My new engine for the T.S. has been bored .060 and inserted, plus the manifold has been bored and a High compression head added. Stock ? no way!
I'm in a tizzy about the upholstery. I made new parts for the seats, but I can't find Brown Bedford Cord in wool to make the seats from. Anyone know where this is made?
I made new spring from an old mattress. As luck would have it, they were both the same width, so I just lopped of 15". I welded it, bent it, and added wires to it and it seems as though it will work. It's a little stiffer than the old one, but it's close. Stock? no way! And I'm using tube shocks on the rears of both cars, definetly not stock! And so it goes! I'm going to use a old Dodge, Northeast electric horn because , for some reason, Mod A horns are way overpriced and I have the Dodge horn. They don't look anything alike,but I'tll work till I can find Ford horn that's reasonably priced. Is my car a hot rod? should I be over at HAMB? Nahhh, I've been over there a few times and theres nothing for me there.
Terry
Closed Thread