Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
Bob C

Default Re: What are the Model AA trucks like to drive

Here's an open cab.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg &30 Stake 7314 03-13-30.jpg (149.6 KB, 57 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #42
68HILLBILLY

That truck is very good looking. probably gets more comments, interest, and thumbs up than a high dollar show model a car. enjoy
68HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
bluesman31

This one is a steel top, not sure if it is original?

Picking it up on a trailer tomorrow hopefully (gotta go 70 miles or I would of tried to drive it!!)

Next step is to at least get a diagram of all the grease points, etc. I have the Les Andrews books, but I don't think they cover AA's?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #44
BrianBurkert

I think a 1930-31 Instruction Book has an AA lube chart.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #45
rollingsculpture

nice truck it is a mixed bunch for sure but its all functional. hope you enjoy it , most likely have the high speed gears in the differential since it is a later 1931 differential with the reinforced ribbing (june 1931 svs blt pg 568 /289) and the indented firewall svs blt pg
also reinforced rear wheels( april 1931 svs blt pg 552/275) since the frame is not tapered at the end (april1931 svs blt pg 553/276 i would have to say someone followed the directions given in the svs blt (sept 1930 pg 497/231}and cut off 15 or so inches off .

enjoy that truck they are great for hauling .
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #46
Benson

Default Re: What are the Model AA trucks like to drive-Split rim dangers

Bluesman31,

If you are unaware of the dangers of Split-Rim wheels it might be a good idea to read up on them ... and safety measures to take.

I knew a fellow 45 years AGO who lost his jaw and most of his upper teeth while putting air in a split rim wheel (this was a wheel that he had just changed the tire and installed the split ring on), the split ring came unseated and hit him under the chin! The ring was not seated.

I did not mean to scare anyone!

Most gas stations "in the day" had a special re-enforced steel "cage" they put the wheel inside while airing up the tire, in case the rim came off.

Last edited by Benson; 01-14-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added info
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #47
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman31 View Post
This one is a steel top, not sure if it is original?

Picking it up on a trailer tomorrow hopefully (gotta go 70 miles or I would of tried to drive it!!)

Next step is to at least get a diagram of all the grease points, etc. I have the Les Andrews books, but I don't think they cover AA's?
I think one of the vendors, maybe more, carry a large lub chart on glossy paper like the one for the "A". Not sure of where...anyone?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #48
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Bluesman31,

If you are unaware of the dangers of Split-Rim wheels it might be a good idea to read up on them ... and safety measures to take.

I knew a fellow 45 years AGO who lost his jaw and most of his upper teeth while putting air in a split rim wheel when the split ring came unseated and hit him under the chin!

Most gas stations "in the day" had a special re-enforced steel "cage" they put the wheel inside while airing up the tire, in case the rim came off.
Don't be afraid of Split Rim wheels, they are STILL Used today on MODERN Rigs. Just bring them to a big truck tire store, they have all the knowledge to help you out and they air up ALL TYPES of truck tires in a cage where I go!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #49
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Don't be afraid of Split Rim wheels, they are STILL Used today on MODERN Rigs. Just bring them to a big truck tire store, they have all the knowledge to help you out and they air up ALL TYPES of truck tires in a cage where I go!
Well yes and no. Always a good idea to have a good deal of respect for what one of these tires can do. Once the tires are mounted, seated correctly and aired up they are pretty safe. Where folks get into trouble is getting them mounted and aired up. I do the same a spdwy1 and take them to a truck tire store and have them air them up in a cage.
Dave
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #50
SeaSlugs

yea any semi repair place or semi truck dealer should be able to help you. Ive heard of ways to somewhat safely do it at home but not for me...

as long as your rims especially the beads are in great shape (not questionable rusted pitted shape) you should be OK and treat it like any other tire. its when the tires go flat you need to be very very cautious about airing them back up as it is possible for the bead to pop off (not likely but possible)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #51
glenn in camino

They're fun, but they're too slow to drive on most club tours.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #52
Ken B

Awesome truck!!!! Go through it and make it road worthy and drive it. Maybe you can use it to haul your next Model A/AA parts find.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #53
SeaSlugs

i didnt realize how old this post was... i googled what the low speed AA worm drive rear ratio was. brought me here and brainfarted and posted an answer...

ANYHOO any update bluesman?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #54
Reds34

That dump bed looks pretty similar to the one under my '34 BB truck.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #55
john charlton

They are very comfortable to drive due to the longer wheelbase even with no shocks. With the 5.14 rear end ratio my 1931 AA will run all day at 40 MPH .

John in cool overcast morning Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #56
davehc

This post brings up a question I have . What are the differences between an "A" and a "AA" engine . Asking , because I have a chance to buy a "AA" engine with thoughts of putting in my "A" , but don't know of any differences between them yet . Or would this be a bad idea ?
Thanks
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #57
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehc View Post
This post brings up a question I have . What are the differences between an "A" and a "AA" engine . Asking , because I have a chance to buy a "AA" engine with thoughts of putting in my "A" , but don't know of any differences between them yet . Or would this be a bad idea ?
Thanks
I am not aware of any differences in the engine itself.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #58
kelley's restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehc View Post
Thanks

no difference internally
they made up for the lack of HP with a 4 speed tranny and tall rear gear
tk
Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #59
lookin-backtexas

My '31 AA Stakebed is great fun to drive. I once led a tour for the Dallas Model A Ford Club to Jefferson (168 miles east of Dallas) and lots of guys whined "it'll take us forever to follow Fred there in his AA". They were not aware that "Henry" has a high speed rearend and as we convoyed along with about 35 Model A's following him the CB lit up with people in the rear of the group asking me to slow down, they couldn't keep up in their Model A's.

The AA has super heavy duty springs and if you are fortunate enough to find one with a high speed rear end, you will discover the pleasures of bouncing along the road at 50+ mph.

On the other hand, the truck has a 4-speed transmission and I rarely use 1st gear - if you take off in 1st, you'll go about five feet and it's time to shift. I generally take off in 2nd gear. I taught my sons to drive in the AA and it's a great tool for that - being geared so low, they learned how to use a clutch and didn't have to worry about the engine stalling . . . just let out the clutch and it takes off and all they have to worry about is steering and watching where they are going (this was in my 4 acre backyard and not on a public road since they were 10 and 12 years old at the time).

I once had my youngest son's kindergarten class out for an easter egg hunt in the back yard and decided to give the kids a ride in the AA. I pulled him out of the barn and loaded 24 five-year-olds, plus two teachers in the back and one teacher in the cab with me - the kids were thrilled as we cruised around the backyard for a while and as I started back up the hill toward the barn he began to cough and sputter and the kids all started chanting "I think I can, I think I can." Once we got to the barn and the kids and teachers headed back to school I opened the hood to determine the problem and noticed that three of the spark plug wires had popped off - he had been carrying 28 people and pulling his weight (3800 pounds) up a hill on only ONE spark plug! Built Ford Tough!!!

On that trip to Jefferson we decided to go get some ice cream one evening and I had about 20 people get in the bed and I put Henry in first gear, retarded the spark and let out the clutch and stepped out of the cab walking alongside him as he Cadillaced along the quiet residential street (ta-puck-ca-ta, puck-ca-ta, puck-ca-ta, puck-ca-ta). I was chatting with the people in the bed walking beside the bed of the truck and they said, "Hey, who's driving?" I said, "No one but Henry."

At most car shows a AA will attract more lookers and admirers than most high dollar restored Model A's and at a parade, you frequently get asked to carry various dignitaries - I've carried the Mayor of Dallas, Ronald McDonald, the Hamburgler, various military officials, politicians, local radio and TV personalities, etc. Henry has been in three movies and a couple of TV commercials.

AA's are a ton-and-a-half of FUN! If you don't already own one, get one.

Fred
Editor of The Restorer magazine, official publication of MAFCA 12 years
Life Member Dallas Model A Ford Club (44 years)
23 year member & founder Lone Star Model A Ford Club
Chairman 35th Model A Ford Texas Tour 1998 (state convention)
Chairman 42nd Model A Ford Texas Tour 2005 (state convention)
Charter Member Ford Model AA Truck Club
If you aren't driving your antique car frequently, you might as well be collecting clocks!!!

Last edited by lookin-backtexas; 07-30-2013 at 08:05 AM.
lookin-backtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #60
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin-backtexas View Post

AA's are a ton-and-a-half of FUN! If you don't already own one, get one.

Fred
haha close to my friends dog's nickname: Tons-O-Fun. Australian Sheppards dont make good lapdogs haha