Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #61
daveymc29

Default Re: The Death Wobble

Personally I'd rather fix the problem than put the stabilizer on. Watch the tie rod on some car with the stabilizer on it as the wheels are turned from lock to lock while on the ground, even on dirt. The tie rod will bend very noticeably, I'll wager. I haven't seen many but they all that I watched in operation bent the tie rod. Doing that can't be good for it. I had a truck I bought with the stabilizer and a hotrod type connection to the left front backing plate. On a trip home from Portland to the Bay Area the hotrod piece worked its way partially through the backing plate, causing a terrifying bit of the death wobble several times in the last few miles to my home, late in the night or I wouldn't have dared to drive it if there had been much other traffic.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Personally I'd rather fix the problem than put the stabilizer on. Watch the tie rod on some car with the stabilizer on it as the wheels are turned from lock to lock while on the ground, even on dirt. The tie rod will bend very noticeably, I'll wager. I haven't seen many but they all that I watched in operation bent the tie rod. Doing that can't be good for it. I had a truck I bought with the stabilizer and a hotrod type connection to the left front backing plate. On a trip home from Portland to the Bay Area the hotrod piece worked its way partially through the backing plate, causing a terrifying bit of the death wobble several times in the last few miles to my home, late in the night or I wouldn't have dared to drive it if there had been much other traffic.
Davey,
I've seen a lots of Hot Rod "ENGINEERING"??? that would make your Hanes Briefs SHRINK, by 3 SIZES
Bill W.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #63
hale1776

Ok I had death wobble only on right front, I rebuilt tie rods and drag link tightened everything and today I set toe in ... good news my death wobble is now on both wheels so that is a relief. Dropped radius ball on wishbone and found a rubber ball missing 40 % chewed off, I checked with my dog who assured me it wasn't her. Put a fender washer in their but without the rubber still way to much room for wobble. Ordered original radius cap set from Mac's and magic washer if needed, steers mush easier now there is just that fear of braking thing left. This thread has been very helpful big thank you to all the old farts who still post.
hale1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #64
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by hale1776 View Post
Ok I had death wobble only on right front, I rebuilt tie rods and drag link tightened everything and today I set toe in ... good news my death wobble is now on both wheels so that is a relief. Dropped radius ball on wishbone and found a rubber ball missing 40 % chewed off, I checked with my dog who assured me it wasn't her. Put a fender washer in their but without the rubber still way to much room for wobble. Ordered original radius cap set from Mac's and magic washer if needed, steers mush easier now there is just that fear of braking thing left. This thread has been very helpful big thank you to all the old farts who still post.
And DON'T forget thet my DOG, Buster T. posts also. He jist asked if you wuld PLEASE post a PIC uf Yo' Dog
Bill W.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #65
hale1776

SOS Update: New radius ball kit from Mac's arrive that include new everything and original size cups as per Ford design. Remove everything drop wishbone, pull retaining pin and remove old bolts....wipe everything clean and start install new bolts require two finger lift to get them inside hole then drop down into bolt holes first one goes in fine, second one do to angle becomes more problematic, using bent nose needle nose pliers to hold it seems like perfect tool to drop in #2, my son is doing it and he goes " I lost it" we both try feeling around but its gone no where to be found...Ballbuster alert, I'm like now I have to pull engine or rear end, disconnected flywheel housing to find it. Took wind completely out of my sails...I was 5 minutes from solving problem, now bummed, anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #66
Brentwood Bob

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Try a magnet. Should not have to do any further dissassembly. Take a time out, have a beer, and relax. Remember this is a hobby, not a brain operation.
Be thankful your son is on the point.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #67
Barry B./ Ma.

Pull the engine Hale, it's easier and I know cause it happened to me. When the engine lifts up and away slightly you can reach in and get the bolt, took me under an hour.
Get the new bolts in before you bolt up the housing.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #68
hale1776

Bob will try magnate first. Barry I have removed engine many times but always pulled headlight bar and radiator out first did will engine move far enough forward without doing this?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #69
Brentwood Bob

probably removing the fan and waterpump would give you enough room after loosening the headlight bar and the radiator leaned forward.
Hope the fishing goes better.
Bob
Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #70
Tom Wesenberg

I did the same thing on my 29 Tudor when I first bought it. I used a magnet and fished it back out. If I remember right, I might have even dropped it a second time. I then ran a couple feet of thread through the cotter pin hole in the bolt. This made the job much easier, and if it dropped, it was easy to retrieve.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:00 AM   #71
hale1776

using a bent coat hanger and my finger I have searched whole area around where cup goes without any luck, thought if I bounced the car a little the bolt may come out of hiding. I put safety wire through cotter pin hole of one old bolts and using that as Tom suggested pulled bolt into position, replaced top and bottom cups, bushings, springs, new nuts and cotter pins. Then started her up no clunks.... drove around block, clutch works no noise or clue that anything is loose. Its almost 2:00 AM I have driven it far enough and braked hard enough to say my death wobble is gone. Tomorrow I will drop ball again and see if bolt can be found. I have strong disc magnets but you can not drill a hole in one besides the magnate what is used for fishing?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #72
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hale1776 View Post
Bob will try magnate first. Barry I have removed engine many times but always pulled headlight bar and radiator out first did will engine move far enough forward without doing this?
I think I had the radiator and the hood,light bar off when I lifted out the engine but all that doesn't take much time, I think much better than pulling back the rear end.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #73
barkleydave

Could someone post a picture of what they are talking about. Mine is fine but unclear what the bolt falls into? Having a senior moment ..
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #74
mrraford

Steering stabilizers are a waste of money.

I saw a new cause of DW recently. The owner of a car had been replacing the internals of his tie rod ends and did not get the Spindle Arm Nut firmly secured. Actually he had used the wrong nut so it would not properly tighten. He replaced that and properly tightened the DW went away.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #75
Terry, NJ

You haven't experienced The Death Wobble yet? Kiss the ground in joy! You'll know it when you get it! And there area myriad of causes, from tire inflation to loose front end and everything in between. Some of them quite expensive, like anew steering box.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
Could someone post a picture of what they are talking about. Mine is fine but unclear what the bolt falls into? Having a senior moment ..

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 06-15-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #76
Brentwood Bob

Hale1776:
Try a coat hanger with a hook on the end to fish for the bolt. When you feel something apply the magnet to the wire. Probably past the sweep of your finger.
That recess in the bell housing is not that big.
Bob
Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #77
hale1776

If you do a search of Ford Model A bell housing for sale on eBay you will find pictures of the inside.... there is a half inch high ridge between hole where radius cup goes and the engine as my lost bolt is not in the immediate vicinity of the hole it had to have dropped over that ridge..once over that ridge its a 45 degree down slope to bottom of bell housing where it bolts to engine...that is where my lost bolt is laying sideways. Same as throwing a bolt in a bucket shake few times then tilt bucket 45 degrees now you know exactly where the bolt is without looking. Wondering now if I can get it through inspection plate on top of bell housing. I JP welded a magnate to a coat hanger have to wait 24 hours to harden. I have heard of all manner of old parts being found in that spot years later when engine was pulled.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #78
HoarseWhisperer

Telescoping Magnet?

HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #79
Chuck Sea/Tac

Pull the starter and epoxy a 1/4" round magnet to a flex rod (got mine at harbor freight ) you can fish it out pretty easy. Now you have a homemade bendex bolt removal tool as well
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #80
hale1776

Update I tried the lazy method today...inspection plate under floor board. Magnate epoxied to coat hanger, could I get magnate to bottom of housing? yes.. could I retrieve bolt? No.
I like starter idea that sounds much easier than pulling engine.