Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #101
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike31 View Post
Thank God Model A's are common, reasonably priced, and not a staus symbol. I'm one of those hard working common men that would never have been able to enjoy this wonderful hobby had it not been for Model A's. It took me 32 years to build mine, one dollar at at a time.

Here, here !

Interesting that over 80 years after the Model A and Model T went out of production, they are still fulfilling Old Henry's purpose as a "car for the multitudes"... or at least the working-man...

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #102
kp

Took my 31 coupe to a small car show few weeks ago ,there was about 15 or so cars,one was an old 26 studebaker in good original shape,along with several so called Classic cars,my car is purty much original ,it got more attention then the others,I think because it has original type interior and exterior paint tho it has an older off the frame restoration.I guess it depends on the age of the attendees.But I never feel slighted about it being a cheap Model A .I guess you just have to be a Model A owner and driver to feel Proud to own one,I do have a hot rod and an old truck also.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #103
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'm HAPPY that I have the second nicest "A" that I ever owned, had to sell the first nicest for needed $$$$$$$ If I had MEGA bucks, would I get a REAL EXOTIC car?? I don't think so! I'm as happy as a PIG IN A POKE!! Or a CHICKEN IN A TOE SACK! (Or a small tree frog doin' the backstroke in Chief's toilet, never figgered' out how he got there??Maybe he was a "Plumber's Helper"???) Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 11-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #104
Scott Owens

I sold a beautiful Matador Red 1957 Convertible Bel Air this year so I could invest in some more Model As and Ts. Go figure.
Scott Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #105
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

It has been my experience at car shows that the " A crowd " is the older crowd that have at least celebrated their 60th birthday ! This group is dyeing off and the majority of people at the shows are likely in their 30 and 40's and they are interested in the cars they remember. Bottom line is there is room for both but us. " A " worshippers are definitely in the minority and getting
smaller every day. There are a lot more names in the obituaries of people aged over 60 than there people in their 30 and 40's. Simple math as I see it.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #106
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
It has been my experience at car shows that the " A crowd " is the older crowd that have at least celebrated their 60th birthday ! This group is dyeing off and the majority of people at the shows are likely in their 30 and 40's and they are interested in the cars they remember. Bottom line is there is room for both but us. " A " worshippers are definitely in the minority and getting
smaller every day. There are a lot more names in the obituaries of people aged over 60 than there people in their 30 and 40's. Simple math as I see it.
Wayne
Wayne,
Observation: Many of the street rodders/hot rodders in my area are oooold too, they didn't "cut" my "stock" '30 coupe 'cause they knew I loved it! One guy spotted a problem on my car and said, "My car had this problem & here's how I fixed it----------Come over sometimes and I'll help you fix yours."
Some bought their rods already built and like to see how like cars were before being "altered." (Not likening it to a sex change!!) Bill W.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #107
Jim Huseby

After reading all the posts on this thread, I came to realize that since I have gravitated away from restoring upper scale cars(where most of the owners were truly wonderful people) to mostly Model A's, I've only encountered two idiots. One goes around lying about his knowledge and experience with Model A's (watch out for him) and the other one thinks his '29 tudor is a status symbol(I haven't seen him around for some years). It appears to me that attempts at snobbery in the Model A crowd just don't work. I think we're just enjoying our friendships and hobby too much to ruin it for anyone.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #108
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Wayne,
Observation: Many of the street rodders/hot rodders in my area are oooold too, they didn't "cut" my "stock" '30 coupe 'cause they knew I loved it! One guy spotted a problem on my car and said, "My car had this problem & here's how I fixed it----------Come over sometimes and I'll help you fix yours."
Some bought their rods already built and like to see how like cars were before being "altered." (Not likening it to a sex change!!) Bill W.
Bill I agree the old guys show appreciation for the young guys cars ! it is the young guys that have no time for the old guys' cars ! The young guy wants a car that goes fast, has great sound and air conditioning ( Everything a Model A isn't ) . Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #109
53F100Jeffie

I consider myself a collector. I love Fords, didn't start out that way still like some Brand X cars and trucks. My dad bought a 35 5W back in the eighties, something he always wanted after waiting for decades. He eventually sold it to a friend he was ill and knew he couldn't enjoy or drive it any more.
At the time I fell in love with a 1950 F1 pickup. I eventually found a 48 F1 from North Carolina, which I sold this year. I also have a 53 F100, which I really love, a 1949 F1 Panel and my wife has a first year Mustang.
I have been riding in Model A's for over twenty years as my father in law drives, builds and restores Model A cars and trucks. When my wife and I got married, we rode to our wedding in a 1931 Model A standard roadster. I drove it in my sister in law's wedding. My father in law has a beautiful 1930 Pickup that will eventually be my son's truck as he is the only grandson.
A few years ago he acquired a 1930 Woody Wagon, which we use to go get ice cream. It always turns heads. What a fun car...
This year I acquired a 1929 Fordor Sedan. I drove that car just about every day this summer. My wife called it my new girlfriend. I love driving that thing, and the Aa-oo-gah horn just does it for me. I beep that thing at people all the time.They all smile and wave back. I just tucked it in the barn for the winter and before I turned the key off, I hit the horn twice, because I know it would be a long time before I will hear it again.
The Model A has class, beauty and that great horn. I think the Model A helped get America through the Depression, and the cars were loved and cared for, because of that.
My .02,
Jeff

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #110
dfclimber

This commercial from the1970s did not help one bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA99GsXC3wI&sns=em
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #111
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfclimber View Post

Gosh; I don't remember that commercial... was that Orson Welles narrating ?

Neat idea behind the advert; too bad the Pinto developed such an unfortunate reputation...

My brother's first car was a '73 Pinto wagon, that he eventually gave to my father... who was still driving it in 1985... when he finally got rid of it, it had over 250,000 miles on it... and was still running (2.0 liter OHC four).... but it was developing transmission problems and had terminal cancer...

I wonder if Model A's were as unloved in the 1950's as the Pinto seems to be today ?
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #112
denis4x4

My neighbor worked for a couple of the largest collections in SoCal before moving to Durango. Told him about this thread and he said it would be difficult to name a major collection or collector that didn't have at least a couple of A's, including several in Europe.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #113
dave in australia

I'm a member of three different clubs. One specifically A, another for anything over 25 yrs and the other a local car museum car club. I have come across snobery from non A owners, as well as A owners. I don't think it is what car they own, just their own personality. In one club, we have one person who owns some very rare and exotic vintage cars, Bugatti etc, and he does not have a snob bone in his body, and likes to talk to and meet anybody and everybody. Then in the same club, we have a person who likes to run down any A or T, and all he owns are vintage Dodges. I still treat him the same as any one else, because I don't like the snob thing, and will talk to him about his cars and ignore his snide anti A comments.
I've also found no Anti restored car snobery with rodders down under either, and talking to them expands my friendship basis and then I can learn about different things from them to aid in any car work I do.
How does this answer the original question, well it doesn't, but life is too short to care about such things.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #114
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfclimber View Post

Model A owners get "fired up" in a different way than Pinto owners do.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #115
ronn

I want a Pinto! Remember Dad letting me drive the brand new Pinto down the road and through the nieghborhood. I was 13.... It was auto, brown in color with a beautiful beige interior.
Thought I was driving a go cart I was having so much fun!

Dad dumped it a few months later.... guess the gas mileage wasn't worth it to him.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #116
P.S.

Not only has my question been answered, but I have also learned a LOT from you guys.

It appears that some of you live in areas similar to mine with "car snobs" mostly belonging to the non-A crowd, while some of you are in areas where the A's do get respect.

Have also heard from some hot rodders that are indeed truly nice people. Unfortunately, in this area, the rodders have all been rude, obnoxious, disrespectful types. It must be a northern California rodder thing.

I happened by a pretty large car show last month where there were 2 fairly stock Model A's. The A's were sequestered into the farthest back corner of the show, with no outdoor lighting or activities. Couldn't even hear the music. There were probably over 100 cars there, and all but 5 were hot rods.

Thanks a lot for responding!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #117
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some get the "Big head syndrome" when spending big bucks on a MOST RARE CAR, some of it is brand NAME loyalty, and that loyalty is GOOD. There's probably collectors of PEZ DISPENSERS or VACUUM CLEANERS out there with BIG HEADS!
As an oooold street rodder & drag racer, I like to appreciate the skill & ingenuity in the construction of other's cars, amazing! Some of them are amazed at what WE'VE done in restoring pieces of CRAP & made a really beautiful, driveable original machine!
Mercedes owner "BRAGGED" about spendin' $2,377.77 to tune his car, Ole' Bill retorted, "Should have brought it over house & I could have done it for $237.77 and we could afford BEER for a MONTH!" (BURP!) Bill W.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #118
lance leblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Wayne
When the wife and I attend the monthly meetings of our Red Stick Model A Club. She jokes that we bring the average age down 20 yrs. Still in our 40's we have a great deal of respect and admiration for the elder members and their experience with the A's and life as well.
Our 29 Tudor has been it the family since '59 and I cant wait for the day when I can put my father-in-law back behind the wheel of his old daily driver. But for now when we attend the shows and compare the Hot Rods, Muscle cars and the A's I like the look of disbelief when I tell them what the value of the A's are vs most everything else. I think that more than anything else will inspire the youger generation to become interested in A's.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #119
dfclimber

I think "Model Aers" come in different shapes, colors and types - The Chopped and Channeled brightly painted show cars, Rat Rod, "Original Restored Show Car" with every part correct down to the correct rivet in the proper color and finish (owners sometimes dressing in period clothing) and then those enjoy their Drivers or "GO Cars".

An 82 year old car spans enough generations to mean different things to different people.

For me, I inherited my Model A from my Grandmother. I rode in the rumble seat as a little kid in the parade, worked on it with my dad as a teenager and now drive it around with my kids and work on it with my 6 year old.

PS - Does anyone know the judging standards for the cotter pin that hangs down from the flywheel hole?..........Just kidding.

We may not have the most sought after car to "collectors" but at least we have one of the largest and best online communities with the largest wealth of knowledge
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #120
glenn in camino

You know your club's in trouble when the national magazine often features obituaries of members. OLD ( prewar) car enthusiasm is going away in favor of Corvetts and muscle cars
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote