Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #101
Working Class Zero

Default Re: 1930 Model AA Cant Get Her Over 25 MPH

No leaks detected at manifolds on wd40 trick. I think I have it kinda dialled in now, but hey its hard to tell how good its actually running when you have no stock model A driving experience to compare to.....
Working Class Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #102
Working Class Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
I think this is very good advice to someone new to stock Model A's. A reprint handbook will tell you how to start, drive & look after the vehicle.
This is true and I have ordered some literature, but I'm waiting for it to arrive and I am not a patient person. LOL. Lot of great help here too, so, thanks guys....
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #103
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE MCAFFER View Post
No leaks detected at manifolds on wd40 trick. I think I have it kinda dialled in now, but hey its hard to tell how good its actually running when you have no stock model A driving experience to compare to.....

No Model A clubs around?
Your profile does not say where you live.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #104
Working Class Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxweb View Post
No Model A clubs around?
Your profile does not say where you live.
I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. No model A clubs, Unless I start my own, lol.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #105
1930artdeco

Hi Kane,

I love the truck! your truck is doing what my car did. I would adj. the idle air screw and nothing would change at all. I discovered that the throttle hsaft was worn and decided to put in an oversized shaft. So I ordered one only to find out that I already had one in the carb. The replacement shaft would not let me adj. the carb correctly as the screw plate had the incorrect angles-gone.

I also sealed up the inside hole (against the engine) where the shaft goes with JB Weld and put some thick grease around the throttle shaft on the outer side. She quit sucking air around the shaft and idles much better now.

Mike
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #106
Bruce Adams

I see about fifteen MAFCA memberships on VANCOUVER, BC, Canada in my 2012 MAFCA Roster. I would think that would represent at least sixty Model A Owners on your island. You might want to reach out to some of them for assistance right at the truck instead of through sep by step correspondence. There is even more knowledge "Out There" than on line, many of whom would just love to assist with this simple problem.
Email me and I would be pleased to provide some names and phone numbers.
[email protected]
Good Luck !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #107
CarlG

Vancouver Island and Vancouver BC are separated by a body of water. You have to take a ferry to get from one to the other. That doesn't mean there aren't any on the island though. Try looking for someone in Victoria BC.

Last edited by CarlG; 05-03-2012 at 03:36 PM.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #108
Working Class Zero

I have my connections, one of which lives right in my town and pretty much knows all about A's. I actually enjoy getting feedback on this forum from all you experienced cats and often like to work quietly alone in my shop, if that makes any sense. Plus the more people I get info from, the more I learn. I always want to learn something new. Lastly I thought it would be nice to get on here and say hello now that I own a stock AA...........Hey isn't this sort of stuff what this forum is all about? Appreciate the help on finding local model A guys too, don't get me wrong. Thanks again guys!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #109
flatford39

Quote:
I have my connections, one of which lives right in my town and pretty much knows all about A's. I actually enjoy getting feedback on this forum from all you experienced cats and often like to work quietly alone in my shop, if that makes any sense. Plus the more people I get info from, the more I learn. I always want to learn something new. Lastly I thought it would be nice to get on here and say hello now that I own a stock AA...........Hey isn't this sort of stuff what this forum is all about? Appreciate the help on finding local model A guys too, don't get me wrong. Thanks again guys!!!
You bet it is and I feel the same way about working on my stuff. Been to your island and really loved it. Not sure why you would want to go faster than 35MPH there as the scenery is quite beautiful.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #110
ctlikon0712

I think the gas gage and mileage is the real prob.... Are the plugs still looking black?. Maybe when the carb was rebuilt, someone left a jet out or somthing......
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #111
Working Class Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
I think the gas gage and mileage is the real prob.... Are the plugs still looking black?. Maybe when the carb was rebuilt, someone left a jet out or somthing......
I agree. Waiting on plugs in mail, so not changed yet. I'm half ways thinking of just ordering a new carb from Macs or Bratton's or sum thin to just to know all is new and proper. Never been the slickest with carb rebuilds or anything to do with the damn things. Could take it off and apart I guess and try to troubleshoot but.........
Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #112
modeleh

Kane, I am in Nanaimo and have some extra bits and pieces if there's anything that you may need help with, just send me a pm, I am on the AA site also.
Did you find your truck locally? It looks to be in great shape. There are only a handful of running AAs on the island that I know of, one similar to yours in Saanich.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #113
Working Class Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
Kane, I am in Nanaimo and have some extra bits and pieces if there's anything that you may need help with, just send me a pm, I am on the AA site also.
Did you find your truck locally? It looks to be in great shape. There are only a handful of running AAs on the island that I know of, one similar to yours in Saanich.
Nice to meet ya. You have an AA too?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #114
sturgis 39

The carbs are easy to work on and simple. I think I would play with GAV and run a little lean or when the RPM goes high. Then adjust the idling screw when the idle is too high. The idle screw is on the throttle linkage. Make sure you throttle lever is all the way up when playing with the idle screw. Do not be afraid to take the carb apart. They are pretty simple. The biggest problem I have had is the rust from the gas tank plugging up the sediment bowl and the little screen in the carburetor. I bought a stand pipe filter from one of the parts places. The stand pipe slips into the shut off valve in the tank and keeps the sediment in the tank. I also run a see through inline filter between the tank shut off valve and the sediment bowl. I still get rust after ten years.

Get a can of carb cleaner at Walmart- It Is cheap and good-High tech is their trade mark name. Other carb cleaners are good and wear glasses- you never know what little hole that stuff will blow out. There might be a plug on the bottom of the carb and I would take that out first. Water is heavier than gas and It might have some moisture in the bowl.

It will take some tinkering so do not get discouraged. I do not think you will get much more than 30 mph. The black plugs and poor mileage kind of indicate a rich mixture. The gas gauges are kind of on again and off again.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #115
dmaxweb

Quote:
I agree. Waiting on plugs in mail, so not changed yet. I'm half ways thinking of just ordering a new carb from Macs or Bratton's or sum thin to just to know all is new and proper. Never been the slickest with carb rebuilds or anything to do with the damn things. Could take it off and apart I guess and try to troubleshoot but.........
If you are looking for a carb rebuilder, I would contact Ross Henderson, 9949 Seymour St., Santee, California (619) 871-0201. Excellent work! He also sells on ebay as "tazman24282428". I would contact him directly rather than ebay.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #116
Working Class Zero

So my wife tells me about this application you can get on your iPhone. A speedometer. She says it works exactly accurate. I'm like ya right...... So I try it. I turn it on and go for a drive in our brand new mini van (don't tell anybody I have one of those), and it id dead accurate!!! So I thought I'll try it in the Model AA. Turns out my speedometer is out to lunch. When it reads 35 MPH I'm actually going 50MPH. So I must have the high geared diff. I thought I was going faster than it read. Why is it out by 15MPH. Again running 6.50x20 all the round. As odd as that is this is good news, plenty of speed for me!!! Still chugs gas though, and I'm pretty sure the gas gauge is ok, but.........
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #117
1931 flamingo

If I remember correctly there were a few posts quite a while ago about improper length air adj screws?? I mention this as you say adjusting yours doesn't make much of a difference. Congrats on traveling 50MPH. That is a very nice looking truck.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #118
Tom Wesenberg

"Still chugs gas though, and I'm pretty sure the gas gauge is ok, but......... "

You need to slow down!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #119
columbiA

Some air adj screws are two short & the spring will get coil bound before the screw is seated & you will not be able to get a proper idle mixture adj.If the screw is lightly seated & there is still space between the coils,then the screw length is OK. As for clubs,there is a model A & B club in Nanaimo & the VCCC(vintage car club of canada)has chapters inCowichan valley,Nanaimo,North island& Victoria.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #120
Bruce in southern OH

Read 119 post to find out the speedometer was bad, you need to make this a TV show, great story, keep it up
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote