Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #41
phaetonblue

Default Re: My New Project! CCPU

Jake, your body work really looks nice. It looks like you are using a mig welder. I was wondering if you would show the tool that you use to get those clean cuts when you cutout the old sheet metal. Thanks.
phaetonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #42
jakeknapp29

Phaetonblue, Thanks!! Yes, I do use a mig welder. Not the best way to weld sheet metal but a tig welder just isn't in my budget right now and the mig welder does fine as long as you take your time. When I cut out old sheet metal I use the Dewalt 4.5x.045 cutting wheels. They work great. I've used them on everything from 18 gauge sheet metal to 1/4" plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1117.jpg (64.3 KB, 78 views)
jakeknapp29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #43
jakeknapp29

I'm back!!! Been working on some other projects lately but finding time to work on the truck as well. I've spent many hours straightening out the beat up cab corners and back panels. A LOT of metal shrinking and hammer and dolly work. This weekend I worked on the doors quite a bit. They turned out to be pretty rough. I've been working on the inner door bottoms. I made all the patches and got them tacked in. Next week I hope to replace the outer skins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1258.jpg (46.5 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1257.jpg (50.5 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1254.jpg (51.1 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1265.jpg (46.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1263.jpg (51.0 KB, 230 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #44
dr.j

Mighty fine work; wish I could weld as well as I can wrench.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #45
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Alden View Post
Looks like a fun project.
Every Guy needs a Truck!!
I agree, and according to my wife every girl needs one too!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #46
jakeknapp29

I got the bottoms of the doors patched up a few weeks ago. They are just tack welded right now. Looks good so far. Hopefully I will be able to finish welding them this week. Also been doing a lot of body work on the back cab panels. Going to start shooting primer as soon as it starts to warm up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1270.jpg (50.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1271.jpg (52.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1272.jpg (43.4 KB, 187 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
Lawrie

Here is the progress on my 28 pickup,changed it from a home made open cab to the closed cab.
A lot of work but great fun,also got a lot of help from other barners,
Ready to disassemble today for paint prep and paint
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pickup back.jpg (66.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Pickup front.jpg (66.5 KB, 212 views)
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #48
sphanna

I enjoy following your projects. I wish more young people would show such an interest in the hobby. I am wondering if your grampa, Dr Jim, is a Barner and keeping up with your posts. He is pretty proud of you.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #49
Joe K

My March 29 CC pickup came from a seller in Oakham, MA, where the truck had been used by the cemetery association for light earth moving duties. It was pretty rough, mostly the body, with the lower rear body panel fully separated from the floor pan. The only thing really holding the body together was the four oak strips used as the seat support behind the upper cushion.

It was bought by me in 1977 as my graduation present from college. Some parents give their children a car on their graduation? Well, I picked my car myself.

I restored it mechanically pretty much. Drove it around for a few years on weekends and parades. And then family and job changes kind of got in the way. Now, the end of my career is in sight and my children's college is paid for so I'm re-kindling the interest. I have to have SOMETHING to do after I retire. Otherwise I get OLD.

The truck is currently spread out all over the inside of my barn. That is 100 percent of my first Model A, about 70 percent of the next, perhaps 40 percent of the third, and a whole bunch of other parts including a Gordon Smith Air Compressor.

People find out you have a Model A and "Gee I have this engine block that's been hanging around and I don't know what to do with it. Do you want it?"

I'm a glutton for punishment. And who among us can say no.

Anyway, looks like fun. You're doing EXTREMELY WELL not only doing the work, but documenting for our examination as well. I hope you're keeping it all in a scrap book to keep with the truck when you er, loan it to someone.

Good luck,
Joe K
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #50
jakeknapp29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Here is the progress on my 28 pickup,changed it from a home made open cab to the closed cab.
A lot of work but great fun,also got a lot of help from other barners,
Ready to disassemble today for paint prep and paint
Lawrie
Wow nice truck Lawrie!!! Looks like you are getting close to the end. I see a problem though......You put your steering column on the wrong side
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #51
jakeknapp29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphanna View Post
I enjoy following your projects. I wish more young people would show such an interest in the hobby. I am wondering if your grampa, Dr Jim, is a Barner and keeping up with your posts. He is pretty proud of you.
I'm glad that you have enjoyed following my build! Hopefully when I get done I can bring it on a trip to Iowa! My grandpa isn't on the Ford Barn right now. I should probably help him get a profile set up. He is not a big fan of computers. I'm very thankful to have such a wonderful grandpa. He's done so much to help me and encourage my interest in the hobby!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #52
jakeknapp29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
My March 29 CC pickup came from a seller in Oakham, MA, where the truck had been used by the cemetery association for light earth moving duties. It was pretty rough, mostly the body, with the lower rear body panel fully separated from the floor pan. The only thing really holding the body together was the four oak strips used as the seat support behind the upper cushion.

It was bought by me in 1977 as my graduation present from college. Some parents give their children a car on their graduation? Well, I picked my car myself.

I restored it mechanically pretty much. Drove it around for a few years on weekends and parades. And then family and job changes kind of got in the way. Now, the end of my career is in sight and my children's college is paid for so I'm re-kindling the interest. I have to have SOMETHING to do after I retire. Otherwise I get OLD.

The truck is currently spread out all over the inside of my barn. That is 100 percent of my first Model A, about 70 percent of the next, perhaps 40 percent of the third, and a whole bunch of other parts including a Gordon Smith Air Compressor.

People find out you have a Model A and "Gee I have this engine block that's been hanging around and I don't know what to do with it. Do you want it?"

I'm a glutton for punishment. And who among us can say no.

Anyway, looks like fun. You're doing EXTREMELY WELL not only doing the work, but documenting for our examination as well. I hope you're keeping it all in a scrap book to keep with the truck when you er, loan it to someone.

Good luck,
Joe K
That's a neat story Joe! Thank you for the compliments and encouragement! Good luck with your truck and I hope you post some pictures!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #53
MikeK

jakeknapp29, Thank you for keeping up this fantastic build thread. You started it 3/23/12, soon it will be a year. To date you have posted, if I count correctly, about 50 great photos. Looking at your join date and your number of posts it appears you're more a man of action than of words. But then, Confucius say "Picture worth 1000 words" so thank you for that most of all.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
jdfinch22

great job keep up the info, i have a late 31 indented firewall that i hope to get started on soon. this will be my first attempt, a coupleof my uncles were model a guys, i should have learned more when they were alive.
jdfinch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #55
jakeknapp29

Been doing a lot of body work the past few months. Finally had a warm day here in central Indiana and was able to shoot some primer. I'm excited for more warm weather so I can start getting things done!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1320.jpg (74.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1321.jpg (65.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1322.jpg (54.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1324.jpg (59.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #56
jakeknapp29

I've spent the past month or so sanding and priming. Finally starting to put the cab together!!!! It's actually kind of starting to look like a truck again!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (61.3 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (61.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #57
Onlybackroads

Looks great! You're doing a really nice job, and it's also good to see a fellow young person who's into the old cars. We gotta keep 'em going!
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #58
Mad Mac

Great job Jake!
So its not important to spray on the primer straight away after sandblasting? I thought it was essential to do it immediately? I guess it depends whether you live in a dry climate. Here in NZ its pretty moist most of the time and we prime sheet metal within minutes of sand-blasting or bead-blasting. Rust never sleeps!
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #59
pooch

If the panel was badly rusted , it will have oxygen in the pores, and it will rust badly again very quickly, you will see it brown stain within hours.

With my very particular jobs, I would sandblast , then apply deoxidene (phosphoric acid) to where the bad rust was, and let it sit for 48 hours, then re blast it.

If the panel was not too bad before blasting , it can be kept in a dry environment while working on for months / years .

If you rub the panel with anything from 36 upwards to reduce the profile , it will not rust as bad either when left in bare metal.

Absolutely beware of bare fingers on panel if you want it to stay non rusty for a while.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #60
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
Looks like the metal moths got into the closet!
Nothing a little duct tape won't cure.
Remember if the wimmins don't find you handsome, the better find you handy!
Since it is a gas tank, be sure to use the "metal duct tape"
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote