Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #101
Jordan

Default Re: modernize my 31 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
My lord!! Dew's ONLY question was, "WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO ADD ELECTRONIC IGNITION TO MY '31 A." He needed input from electronic systems users, not a lot of gobbeldy goop about the merits of "points" vs "electronic."
My opinion: Overall, electronic systems are far superior to old type rinky dink points systems.
Should I decide to do ANY upgrade to my "bone stock" '29, I won't "open a can of worms" by asking for advice, I'll just do it!
Confession: Mine is not totally "bone stock," as I have added a leakless/greaseless water pump and a 6 blade plastic fan, and I hope I don't get lectured! Bill Williamson
It is no longer a Model A.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #102
BILL WILLIAMSON

I just went to the garage to look!! Guess what? "VERMIN" smiled and said, "Im still the most beautiful Lombard Blue & Black early '29 Standard Model A coupe on the block!!"
Yes, they DO talk!!! Bill Williamson
Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #103
rollingsculpture

i want to go for a ride just to see if i get the plugs hot enough to burn off the oil from the bad rings
Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #104
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Anyone else notice the original poster has not posted again?

I see this whole thing as three questions;

1) Can I ...?

2) Do I have to ...?

3) Should I ...?

The first one is easy yes you can it's your car and you can do anything you want to to it!

The second one, Do I have to...? Do you have to change to 12 volts, do you have to change to an alt, do you and to change to halogen bulbs. In the context of this site as a restoration site, No you don't.

And lastly Should I...? This depends on how you use your car. Is it a daily driver that you use as a regular car? Maybe you should change to 12 volts to easier connect modern accessories, radio GPS and the like. Maybe you should add A/C and a heater for better comfort, "touring" engine for better hill climbing, power and speed. You get the idea?

Before Ryan took over the site there was drama between the "as Henry built it group" and the "It's mine and I do with it as I want group". That drama is still here with us today even with Ryans statements that his site is for restoration and HAMB is for modifieds and Rods.

I for one would like to know the why when someone asks a car modifying question to see if it falls into "you should do that" column. I have on my favorites, sites that show how to modify/repair alternators, where to get adapters to convert an automatic tranny to fit your A, a list of all the parts for 12 volt conversion and other sacreligious things that if you search my posts you will see I have posted here.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #105
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburessr View Post
I just can't understand people wanting to fix something that isn't broke!!! Or they try to make the car into something that it wasn't!! Maybe they shouldn't have bought a Model A then???? If I'm on the road or any where and something goes wrong I want to be able to fix it with a screw driver and a match pack, Not having to buy or try to find odd ball parts!!! If you want a Jag, or a new car then just go buy one then!!!! Leave the classic's alone!!!!!!
Years ago when Shelly had Fordbarn I asked almost the same question and sure got a lot of backlash for it. I asked "why do people buy a Model A for what it is, then try to make it what it isn't?" My butt is still smoking from that one!

Bill W. are you suffering from information overload? LOL
And now you admit to having a 6 blade plastic fan. Not only will you have to listen to lectures, you'll have to move to the back of the class.

Yes, I also noticed the original poster hasn't responded, but I just assumed it's because with all the information he has been given he was better able to make an informed decision and is too busy driving his Model A with the reliable points ignition.

Life's too short, just enjoy your A which ever way you go, and if I pass you on the side of the road, I'll know you made the wrong decision. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #106
blgitn

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Not me because in my early youth I was a factory rep for several aftermarket performance companies, ...one of which was Autotronics in ElPaso. (Go look it up.) I also want to question you when you made the comment that a MSD will mask a lean condition. I think you are likely in error there because using a MSD in that condition would likely exacerbate the condition. I think in reality what you were implying is the MSD works well in masking an overly rich fuel mixtures as it has a better chance of "lighting the load" with the multiple plug sparks. I guess the three questions I would pose for you is:

A) Are we really comparing Apples-to-Apples comparing a single-spark ign. system to a multi-spark system? I say NO. Is there a Hp advantage with a multi-spark system over a single spark? I say MOST DEFINITELY.

B) Can a MSD system be operated by a points-triggered system and produce the same exact intensity of spark as what it can with an electronic triggered system? I know for a fact that answer is YES.

My point is we are not making equal comparisons because I can do anything with my stock points-equipped Model A distributor connected to a MSD that you can do with an FS electronic triggered system.

Seth, to answer your comment "pessemistic garbage" is a slam that I feel is undeserved for many who have WAY more experience than what I feel you possibly have. Remember, as a FS Dealer (go look on their website for my name) I have probably installed more of these units than anyone else who has posted in this entire thread. I am not implying I know better than everyone else but my first-hand experience should account for something. JD will tell you that as one of his dealers I have warrantied many units because for whatever reason simply because they failed on the customer. I truly do not know why, -nor did I inquire however these folks had units they had installed that created issues for them. FS has a great reputation for standing behind their merchandise and providing a warranty. My intent as a dealer for them was to uphold their reputation.

Therefore, I personally do not care whether someone has an electronic triggered system or a stock system however I do desire for any posted information to remain factual so others can make prudent decisions. Therefore my only involvement with this thread was to help ensure unproven opinions do not overshadow the facts. Citing a MSD unit is way beyond what the spirit in which this thread started as, ...and for me it really should not be too much to ask someone to provide proof to corroborate their stated opinion. If someone does that, then I can factor that in with knowledge I already have to make an informed opinion, however to imply "common sense" should be proof enough for what they want us to believe, --or stating "some answers are best unanswered" really does not prove anything to any of us. All I respectfully asked of you was could you prove your opinion with accurate data to back up you claims of why you say a Model A electronic ignition system is better any day of the week. Since you did not, may I politely ask you again to do so? Again, not possibilities or hypothetical situations but real-world verifiable data.

For the record, I have personally dyno-ed the two systems and I know what the performance differences are. Regarding reliability comparisons, I also know what I have personally experienced, and what many have stated their own personal experiences have been in this thread. I might also add that James Rogers and I are about to go do some more dyno testing, and if anyone here wants to come participate as an impartial judge, I would welcome that.
I wanna go! Where and when will it ocur? I've been looking for a good excuse to visit both of you guys!
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #107
hardtimes

blgitn,
REMINDER, the original question asked was ...the best way to add elect ign to my 31A. I , for one, am CONFUSED as heck, by this latest entry!
For example...Check my responses and find that I told requestor that I installed my pertronix module kit and HOW ..as the best way in my opinion/experience. I did say how pleased I am with the results. This (pleased and no problems in years) was my PROOF of 'the best way'. Who else answered the original question?

Again, I say that I'm CONFUSED, because I've read here that it's claimed that someone has 'dyno-ed the two systems and I know what the performance differences are'.
Well, I'd think that if someone unequivocally knew the answer to the original question....and had EVIDENCE of the best way to install an electronic system...would'nt it be in the interest of brevity and spirit of sharing information on this site...to record that answer to begin with ??
blgitn...mabe if you go observe and get evidence of the 'best way' to install electronic ign in a '31A, mabe you could/would share that info with the rest of us.

I've heard here and priorly on the old barn, that ...if you don't pay your 'dues' that you don't DESERVE such information..ever heard that? Geeze, an unnecessarily long thread , if someone had the proved answer and withheld !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #108
blgitn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
blgitn,
reminder, the original question asked was ...the best way to add elect ign to my 31a. I , for one, am confused as heck, by this latest entry!
For example...check my responses and find that i told requestor that i installed my pertronix module kit and how ..as the best way in my opinion/experience. I did say how pleased i am with the results. This (pleased and no problems in years) was my proof of 'the best way'. Who else answered the original question?

Again, i say that i'm confused, because i've read here that it's claimed that someone has 'dyno-ed the two systems and i know what the performance differences are'.
Well, i'd think that if someone unequivocally knew the answer to the original question....and had evidence of the best way to install an electronic system...would'nt it be in the interest of brevity and spirit of sharing information on this site...to record that answer to begin with ??
Blgitn...mabe if you go observe and get evidence of the 'best way' to install electronic ign in a '31a, mabe you could/would share that info with the rest of us.

I've heard here and priorly on the old barn, that ...if you don't pay your 'dues' that you don't deserve such information..ever heard that? Geeze, an unnecessarily long thread , if someone had the proved answer and withheld !
ok.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote