Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
30modelA

Default people answering questions

can i ask you guys on here why when someone needs info or ask questions about their car some guys talk down to us newer younger guest on here? im 30 years old and im a rare breed to own an original model A, most ppl. my age just want to cut them up. we ask questions on here for help in preserving these master pieces, not to be made out as a dumbass. think back when you veterans had your first car, im pretty sure yall have asked a question or two. all i ask is remember what this forum is for. i know there were millions of T's and A's made, but eventually they will be gone. so just give respect to ppl. trying to save these beauties
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: people answering questions

ask any question you need to, and i will do my best to give you a straight answer, your only problem is that you are a little younger than most of us in here, BUT, you will grow out of that LOL LOL, and i hope im not one of the ones you feel are talking down to you, i never mean to do that
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

ask away. Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Steve Wastler

I think your missing one small thing, when you ask a question, in any public forum you will get many answers, opinions, and to some degree attitudes. While you may not like every answer or opinion you will get very informed answers. Take negativity with a grain of salt, it does not reflect the general consensus of the forum.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
BashawT

I've been a member on the forum for about a year now and I learned to use the search option to find the answer to my question before posting a new thread. However a lot of new members are not aware of this useful "search option" and they get hounded when they post a thread on a topic that's been covered 100 times.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Rex_A_Lott

I tell the new guys at work. " If you've got any feelings, leave em in the parking lot...if you bring em in here they're gonna get hurt"
Lot of knowledge here...sometimes you have to put up with a little crap to get it...sort of paying your dues.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

30modelA, i totally agree with you. Im 19 years old and YES "we" are a rare breed to own ORIGINAL model a's. and yeah someday they will be gone. I have already began trying to save some model a'ers from destroying these original beauties.

Cheers to another one trying to save the A's!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Greg Jones

One thing I have noticed is sometimes people post an answer in language that could be taken "snottily" but in one particular case I know that person and that is just how they talk, even when they are being nice. It's one of the problems with non-verbal communication. Many folks who post here have an enormous wealth of knowledge about the Model A-and this advice is pretty much free for the asking!! What a deal!! Another thing about old cars of any make, people form opinions on things like what oil to use, whitewalls, stone guards, thickness of pin stripe, etc.etc and will defend their position to the death, facts be damned. It's called old-fashioned hard-headedness. A lot of old-time Model A'ers remind me of the old Chiefs in the Navy I worked for. Meanest old bas**rds you will ever find, but once you get to know them they are your friend for life. You just have to take some comments with a grain of salt. For the most part, this forum is one of the most civilized on the Internet, bar none, except when the discussion turns political. And who wants to talk politics when there is Model A stuff to discuss?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Vanspeed

I am also a younger model a owner, I have three, a 29 coupe, 29 roadster, and 29 CCPU. I too get the shoulder some times but there are the guys that help us out. I am not ever going to be a fine points style guy, I just like them to look good and get me from point a to point b. I also have NO problem with taking a beat up old Model A and hot rodding it. I do get bummed when a fully restored car gets bought to turn into a rod but the two hobbies support one another. Stick in there, there are great guys and gals on this website that want to help. There are some bad apples who only seem to critisize (sp) but don't let it get you down. Also, glad to hear us young guns are keeping these old gals on the road.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
30modelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
I tell the new guys at work. " If you've got any feelings, leave em in the parking lot...if you bring em in here they're gonna get hurt"
Lot of knowledge here...sometimes you have to put up with a little crap to get it...sort of paying your dues.
paying my dues, are you serious! we shouldnt have to put up with anything to use this site.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Steve Wastler

I don't think you young guys are really that rare of a breed, just different timing. I bought my first A at 13 in 1981 (still have it, and two more). A lot of others got their first one at a young age as well. There will always be young people interested in original cars regardless of the year or make. You are just the next generation getting into original A's. When your my age, or the ages of some of these other geezers you'll be hearing the same thing.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Greg Jones

I should have pointed out that I too am of the young crowd, being a mere 55 years of age. Hang in there and kudos to you for saving another one!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
KGBnut

Yeah, you get those guys once in a while. Personally I find that the "Jerk to Helpful Mentor" Ratio here at the Fordbarn is definitely in the favor of us newbies. I learned pretty quickly what comments to ignore.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
30modelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
I am also a younger model a owner, I have three, a 29 coupe, 29 roadster, and 29 CCPU. I too get the shoulder some times but there are the guys that help us out. I am not ever going to be a fine points style guy, I just like them to look good and get me from point a to point b. I also have NO problem with taking a beat up old Model A and hot rodding it. I do get bummed when a fully restored car gets bought to turn into a rod but the two hobbies support one another. Stick in there, there are great guys and gals on this website that want to help. There are some bad apples who only seem to critisize (sp) but don't let it get you down. Also, glad to hear us young guns are keeping these old gals on the road.
im like you, i dont mind rodding out a unrestoreable car its the good ones i hate to see go. for the record i had a 28 ccpu rat rod. lol
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
700rpm

I am having trouble understanding your pique. This is one of the most courteous discussion sites I have ever been on. To understand how you might have somehow had a different experience, I just read ALL of your posts so far AND all the responses, and I didn't find a single answer that I thought was rude or demeaning. Certainly no one has talked down to you. And at the risk of seeming rude and demeaning, I think you are a little oversensitive. Sometimes a written answer can have an unintentional tone. Relax yourself and don't take things so personally or seriously.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30modelA View Post
paying my dues, are you serious! we shouldnt have to put up with anything to use this site.
Is it me or do I sense a little bit of attitude here? Lets see, free site free and really good info and advise from many fine people. Of course you will get the occasional troll with a wire up his a$$....still seems like a good deal though

Flame proof suit fully engaged in WV

dusty
Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Marco Tahtaras

Other than a few personality conflicts things are generally very smooth here. I've must say however the longer and colder winter gets the shorter the fuses get until the weather settles enough for folks to be outside!

With that said, there are a few "hot button" issues mostly due to their repetitiveness such as "what oil should I use" which surfaces at least 2-3 times a year. That would mean I've seen a new one surface about 45 times! However I began leaving that one for others to respond to about ten year ago.

I did look through several of your posts before responding here (including "oil"!) and saw some great responses and nothing that I would consider negative. Obviously I could have missed whatever struck a nerve with you.

If you choose to stick around (and I hope you do) you will find you're surrounded by a great group of folks that will do their best to be helpful as a hole. You will find some distinctive personalities that at times won't seem so "agreeable" (especially in mid winter ) but you will ether learn to understand them or ignore them!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
Ghost of elmirage

I dont know as much as I would like to ,young guys cuz I have only been at this for about 35 or 36 years so bear with me, BUT I will DEFINATELY help you guys out when and if I can, Anything to keep this hobby going ya know? In the cyber world as with text messaging alot gets lost in translation so most people are not trying to be the assholes that they appear to be. Don't get me wrong this site and the HAMB has its share of douche bags but for the the most part the men and women on both sites are TOP NOTCH the D bags usually get weeded out sooner or later.The only thing the drives me up a wall is when someone uses the term RAT ROD HATE THAT FRIGGIN TERM. LOL
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
modeleh

There are quite a few forum members in the age bracket of 20-40, you are not a rare breed. Don't take that the wrong way, I am always glad to see someone with their original color hair who is interested in the old stuff.
I have been on Fordbarn for about 5 years, never had a problem with anyone. The only negativity I ever got was when I supported a brief movement to modernize the old Fordbarn format to what we have today. Thankfully Ryan took control and I think most would agree this site just continues to get better.
FWIW, If you take the time to write a post with clear, concise meaning and use correct spelling and punctuation, it will be hard for people to judge your age. If you are lazy, and don't bother to capitalize words or use correct punctuation and spelling, people will think that you are a punk who learned how to type by using a cell phone, and their responses may be equally effortless. Garbage in, Garbage out.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Is it me or do I sense a little bit of attitude here? Lets see, free site free and really good info and advise from many fine people. Of course you will get the occasional troll with a wire up his a$$....still seems like a good deal though

Flame proof suit fully engaged in WV

dusty
Ho, ho..Dusty that's rich !
Mabe as a prerequisite to 'trolling' this mundane model a site...everybody has to send a year...nah, a week over on the Hokey Assed Message Board or whatever HAMB stands for ! Whew, I lasted one day..long time back
I find that ALL here, well mabe a couple exceptions, have wonderful
contributions, whether it's restoration skills/experiences/knowledge/mirth/parts/performance/whatever!
Difference is what makes this place enjoyable. Think ...of having to have an exchange with yourself and everyone being just like you..FUN,eh
A thicker skin may come with age, but you don't have to be aged to winnow the chafe from the grain.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

30 model A,
Bill will NEVER put you down or embarras you intentionally, if he happens to screw up, just get on his CASE! I know him pretty well.
When he used to screw up, Chief would tell him, "I buy you books, send you to school, and you're still STUPID! Bill won't do that! Bill W's Ghost.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
RcT

I think at one time or another, we have all taken a little bit of abuse from others, but generally speaking, this forum is far superior to any others that exist. The people are generous with their wisdom and may poke fun at one another, but are willing to share their knowledge and are a great bunch of gentlemen.

What seems to be forgotten sometimes is, I would guess, most of us simply have a two-car garage and some basic tools and that's it. Some of the "Pros" around here have full machine shops and all the equipment to do motor work, body work, painting, etc. I again guess most are on a budget and do not have the luxury of spendable cash for the hobby.

I see the point that 30ModelA is making, and being an old guy here, we do tend to mistake wisdom and knowledge and experience as license to talk down a bit. If I have ever done that to anyone, I apologize, as it was not intentional.

...and I would guess that goes for 99% of "us old guys" here.
Please, keep posting and asking. We all learn from the questions.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #23
'lilredcoupe

Send a message via AIM to 'lilredcoupe

As it goes, there's a few in every crowd. I'm new here as well, and have had no problems. However, I've read threads where questions are answered with crass retorts and so on. It won't take long to see who's who here.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Lightening up a bit can be advantageous for both your immediate goals as well as your long term health. That response was simply a basic "lesson in life" that comes sooner or later. Fortunately as the youngest of five kids I learned it at a very young age.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #25
Dusty

Young people have got to understand the reason us ole guys talk down to them is because they are young. Young full of vigor and strength, able to leap tall building in a single bound while we can barely get out of our recliners.

I know this to be the truth cause my wife is older than me and she always talks down to me

I hate young guys
dusty
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #26
al's28/33

As with EVERYTHING in life............take it with a grain of salt. This forum and the men who voluntarily share their expertise and wisdom FREELY has been part of the reason we can all keep our "A"'s running. The experiences shared here cannot be found thru a book or other website using a search key and......SHAZAAM.......the correct answer appears before you. As with everything else in life, it comes down to give and take and trial and error. That's how the Model "A" was born!
I'm 42 and have so much more to learn, just remember everyone is different.

my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #27
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
im 30 years old and im a rare breed
News flash, you're not that "rare"! :roll eyes:
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #28
Brubaker

This thread demonstrates the beauty of the site. Wide range of ages(45 here), a little humor, advice metered out and a lot of knowledge(aka 'A' experience).
Sometimes when age is brought up in a thread it turns south a bit. It shouldn't matter. Treat all with respect(unless they're just asking for it) and if you don't have anything nice to say, hold off on tapping the 'submit reply' button.

Thanks to all that have shared their experience over the years and have put up with us newbies from time-to-time.

Now back to that oil question............
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #29
700rpm

"6500 are you crazy, i just payed 8k for a fully restored 30 model"
and
"are you crazy you couldve bought 5 of those with that money"

Would these be examples of rude responses?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #30
TD

I must say that I love this forum. I have received much good advice and help. I've received e mails,links, and illustrations as well as pass it on help from guys who just want to help. I never read into any of it and am glad to be a part of it all. I, in turn want to help back all I can. I love the banter when it squeaks in and share it with friends with smiles. It reminds me of the guys back in my old sea unit. Don't worry about the mule being blind - just load the wagon! We're all winners here.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #31
Cool Hand Lurker

Age has nothing to do with it. I was making my same smart arse remarks 60 years ago!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #32
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage View Post
I dont know as much as I would like to ,young guys cuz I have only been at this for about 35 or 36 years so bear with me, BUT I will DEFINATELY help you guys out when and if I can, Anything to keep this hobby going ya know? In the cyber world as with text messaging alot gets lost in translation so most people are not trying to be the assholes that they appear to be. Don't get me wrong this site and the HAMB has its share of douche bags but for the the most part the men and women on both sites are TOP NOTCH the D bags usually get weeded out sooner or later.The only thing the drives me up a wall is when someone uses the term RAT ROD HATE THAT FRIGGIN TERM. LOL

If a "work of art" has all the charm and value of a dead rat, wouldn't it be appropriate to call it a rat rod?

I wonder if there is any part that could be used as a patch panel for a real Model A.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #33
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

If a "work of art" has all the charm and value of a dead rat, wouldn't it be appropriate to call it a rat rod?

I wonder if there is any part that could be used as a patch panel for a real Model A.
Oh boy Tom,

You sure know how to bring back bad memories!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
columbiA

TOM,you provided me with the best laugh of the evening!While some of those RR,s have quite a bit of cash sunk into them,I sure wouldnt want one in my drive way.But there are so many facets to the old car hobby that one has to respect their respective interests. As for young A owners,I got my 1,st one at 15 &15 more A,s later I still love them at 74.When I was young I learned a lot from fellows that worked on them as new cars.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #35
pooch

Quote:
can i ask you guys on here why when someone needs info or ask questions about their car some guys talk down to us newer younger guest on here? im 30 years old and im a rare breed to own an original model A, most ppl. my age just want to cut them up. we ask questions on here for help in preserving these master pieces, not to be made out as a dumbass. think back when you veterans had your first car, im pretty sure yall have asked a question or two. all i ask is remember what this forum is for. i know there were millions of T's and A's made, but eventually they will be gone. so just give respect to ppl. trying to save these beauties
Would be so much better if you just quoted the post/s that offended you, so we could see if you are over-sensitive or not.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Oh boy Tom,

You sure know how to bring back bad memories!!!
Sorry Marco, I thought you had gotten over the pain of having sold it!!

Actually, It's so hidious that I thought I got rid of the picture some time ago, but I found it in Photobucket while looking for the ammeter pictures.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #37
Roadster62

I'm 61 and have been in the old car hobby since I was 10 years old. My main interest is in Pre WWII cars and motorcycles. There are "Old Car People" and Model A People. The fact that there is so much detailed info on A's vs. other cars has created far more "EXPERTS" than any other automobile. This has created a hobby within the hobby, a "Them" against us lookin in from the outside. Be careful how you post questions, and the dregree of "Restoration" finish you plan to to take your vehicle to. Behind closed doors judged, inclosed trailer transported "Show Car", or a drive it on Sunday family fun car. I've never felt welcome in the MAFCA, or MARC, but do know some normal people that are in it. It's a hobby, not a religion. Bob
Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #38
dumb person

Quote:

Barely. how does one even fit inside? Is there a camera or periscope so the drive can see where they are going?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #39
Steve Wastler

That poor excuse for an automobile is real easy to get into, it doesnt have a drivers side door!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #40
pooch

Maybe in a 100 years when all the fossil fuelled vehicles are relegated to museums, this rat rod will be on display, much like art deco of the 1930/s?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #41
raceron1120

This place is an extension of society in general.

If ya think it's bad here, try working a parts counter! Daily confrontations include a guy coming in all apologetic because he doesn't know how to explain what he needs, to a smart-assed, condescending know-it-all who intends to teach the world everything there is to know about cars - just ask him!

Thick skin comes with experience working with the public, and often gained via the "school of hard knocks". Next time somebody throws a wrench or a case of oil filters at you and misses just get over it, and move on as your chance to 'get even' will likely come. Don't let it stick in your craw or you'll become one the 'those guys'.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I too think allot comes from not being able to see or hear the person that is writing the message. I'm sure we all have spoken words to friends that if written down and read by a third party would seem to be insults. There are extremely few people who post here that are true A-holes. Most really want to help and sometimes the message does not come across correctly in writing. I have had first hand experience with this.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #43
Ron Lowe

I guess I'm also young. I bought my A when I was 40, 14 years ago. I really don't post much, but I read everything. This is a wonderful forum! Please hang in there and enjoy. Ron
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #44
5window

Quote:
im like you, i dont mind rodding out a unrestoreable car its the good ones i hate to see go. for the record i had a 28 ccpu rat rod. lol
Hard enough to discuss rat rods here, but don't even begin to think about posting on the HAMB. There you will quickly learn what rude really means!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #45
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I am having trouble understanding your pique. This is one of the most courteous discussion sites I have ever been on. To understand how you might have somehow had a different experience, I just read ALL of your posts so far AND all the responses, and I didn't find a single answer that I thought was rude or demeaning. Certainly no one has talked down to you. And at the risk of seeming rude and demeaning, I think you are a little oversensitive. Sometimes a written answer can have an unintentional tone. Relax yourself and don't take things so personally or seriously.

Honestly!?? You've got way to much time to kill-any library can get you a much better reading list than that.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #46
1931 flamingo

30modelA: When you come to this forum, you are a GUEST of Ryan's. I'm sorry if you've been offended by some. There s a wonderful "search" function here, perhaps you should try it first so as not to be offended by getting an answer to a question you post. other than the Barn there aren't many options. Welcome. In about 4 yrs here and dealing with Model A's since about 1958 I don't think anyone here has "blown" me off. Welcome.
Paul in CT
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #47
Tinker

It's the nature of the beast. One day you say tomato, someone will say its really tomahto. So the next day you say tomahto, no, no, no, you idiot its tomato. :]'

Forums, as mentioned, aren't like talking in person and it's easy to come off bad. A coffee shop conversions with thousands attending. Your going to have some differences.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #48
jrelliott

Glad to hear someone younger is taking a intrest in keeping A's like they were built. Both my kids do not want the A when I am gone so will donate to a museum. Son did keep the '64 Corvair I restored years ago and both learned to drive. Ask any question and will try to answer to best of my ability. Learned a lot rebuiding the A and would gladly pass on any info.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #49
Gumpy

[30model A...maneuver around the forum and you will find someone you really admire and what i do is send them a personal question from there profile page...some gents on the forum have strong opinions and i may be one of those but the positives outweigh anything else...us older guys may wake up irritable.....but don't take it personal....alot a help here!![/I]
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
Dave in Boise

Welcome to the forum..

Personally, I like justabout anything on wheels.. There are forums for just about everything out there that can be imagined.. They may not all be everyones cup of tea, (ratrods, Lakesters, flying eyeballs, trashrods, pro-mod, pro-street, etc) but if you ask the appropriate question to the appropriate forum, you will discover that there are 90% of people out there who share your vision and passion and are more than willing to jump in and help. Age has little to do with it.. and about 10% are soreheads who feel that their purpose in life is to rain on peoples parades..

I find that it is best to embrace the positive responses and learn what the helpful folks want to teach you ..
and learn what not to do or how to treat people from the 10% soreheads

- Dave
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #51
Jeff/Illinois

30modelA--you'll be fine.

The problem with a forum like this vs. actually speaking face-to-face with someone is, that sometimes they might come off wrong or you will take it wrongly. It's hard to discern intent, are they being sarcastic or are they being a smart- a$$ or just what? That's happened to me before as I'm sure it has for most everybody here. You have to learn to ignore this and not take it personally. Easily 99% of the guys on here are very helpful and actually quite friendly. It's that 1% you have to step over and around. Heck, we've even got a 'ghost' that posts here how many sites have THAT bragging right????

Somebody might say something that sparks an old grudge or brings back bad memories. They don't mean to of course, because they don't know what you may have been through in life. Then the worst thing you can do is jump on the guy because you will regret it later. If you have any kind of a conscience.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #52
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Honestly!?? You've got way to much time to kill-any library can get you a much better reading list than that.
Yes, honestly. It only took about 10 minutes, and I wanted to understand his problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #53
Charlie Stephens

It is hard to tell without some specific examples what "talking down" means. Usually the person responding to a post often knows nothing about the person posting the question. Then there is the case that other people of limited knowledge will be reading the posts. Frequently there will be little information their profile (your profile doesn't give any clue to your age or experience). I like to err on the side of safety and answer assuming the person has only limited knowledge. If there is other information I consider important although not directly related to the question I will add it (especially safety items). If this is what you are referring to please accept my apology but I must admit I will probably keep doing the same thing.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #54
kp

Sometimes a grouchy old fart will comment and it is really low down,but like has been said on above comments over and over on one simple subject that has been hashed out many times before it Gets "OLD " (as we are all doin) ,WE LOSE OUR PATIENCE, but was not intended to hurt feelings . You will never learn unless you ask and this is the place to ask . Each individual thinks his mechanical problem is unique and it is to him ,so keep on keeping on.This is a great site ,thanks Ryon !!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #55
28RPU

Quote:
OK, here is my 2¢. I stopped reading comments after this. I see it as the problem is.. you are way too serious. Lighten up. Ignore what you don't like and absorb what you do. You run into different kinds of people in your personal life also. Some you like and relate to,some you do not like and tend to avoid. Same way on here. Lots of different personalities. Don't be a whiney moma's boy, just ignore it or talk back. We all have had to deal with people that are jerks in life. Thats part of growing up....learning to deal with it, so deal with it.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #56
Rowdy
BANNED

I may come across as abit crass at times, but I mean well. The car world via the internet can be an adventure all in its own. There is no shelter from idiots and A holes anywhere in the world. I do not think I am one of the ones you are talking about, but if I am, then I guesse that is just the way it is. I am 41 and have been in the hobbie since I was 13, so I guesse at times I likely come across as being abit older on the internet. I bought a computer and joined the fray of Model A enthusiests in 2002 and it has been an adventure and have managed to make good freinds with many and likely have afew enemies also. Lifes current state makes me abit grumpy, but it is slowly getting better. Just hope to still be in the hobbie after things settle out. Enjoy the people for who they are dispite the attitudes and differences of opinions. Some at their keyboard think they are 10' tall and bullet proof. Rod
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #57
Ross/Kzoo

In just the last couple of days I've seen a post where the posted asked a question "with an attitude". When asked correctly most people will respond accordingly.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #58
zzlegend

SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,How about that Super Bowl????????????????
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #59
joe plumber

Just remember ,Stupid questions are a lot easier to deal with than stupid mistakes .Just because it takes me all day to do what I use to do all day ,doesn't mean I can't do it .
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #60
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,How about that Super Bowl????????????????
It's not really a Superbowl with out the Steelers just like it's not a World Series without the Yankees-but i really liked that Chevy commercial-or maybe it was a Twinkie commercial?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #61
zzlegend

Ah yes. Armageddon and a HO-HO. It don't get no better than that. Maybe the Steelers will be in next year.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #62
Huckster Dave

I recently had a slightly heated discussion with an individual over this very topic. It resulted in my being blocked by that person. I have continued to read his very informative answers on various subjects. The man is an encyclopedia of model A knowledge. I think also that I have seen a difference in his choice of words which make for an enjoyable read. I also hope he can read this post and maybe accept my apology as I now think he can be a very nice person. I don't know if blocked means I am totally invisible or just can't PM him.
HD
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #63
ivoryjohn

Quote:
can i ask you guys on here why when someone needs info or ask questions about their car some guys talk down to us newer younger guest on here?
im 30 years old and im a rare breed to own an original model A, most ppl. my age just want to cut them up. we ask questions on here for help in preserving these master pieces, not to be made out as a dumbass. think back when you veterans had your first car, im pretty sure yall have asked a question or two. all i ask is remember what this forum is for. i know there were millions of T's and A's made, but eventually they will be gone. so just give respect to ppl. trying to save these beauties

]If others are like myself please remember that my skills at communicating via two finger typing and writing a complete sentence that can be understood are not the best. Most of us guys on the Barn site are admitted gearheads and not journalists nor posses the skills to get more than the basic point across. I don't know of one fellow that isn't 100% welcoming to you younger guys getting into the hobby. Y'all are the future and no disrespect is meant unless you want to chop'em up and drop a chevy in them. If that is the case you need to......well I won't go there!

Glad to answer your questions if I can spell it but do I now need to think of how to say it politically correct?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #64
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryjohn View Post
Glad to answer your questions if I can spell it but do I now need to think of how to say it politically correct?
That's great (seriously), to see something put in such simple but applicable terms!
Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #65
Young_Blood

Thanks for saying what ive been wanting to say for quite some time now without having a handful of senior citizens cyber jump me. Its kinda funny how back in "their day" hacking up a stock model A/T to build a rod to cruise or race was okay, but for us to be born and appreciate the work they had done and try our absolute best to mock even some of the smallest things they had done if even just to restore or customize a build in the easiest way is ignored or under appreciated . Not just through a forum but at car shows and cruises does it make me sick to think of how much we, the young, respect the older folk who have done it all and in a sense set the standards for us and yet from some we still get stepped on. These people should be trying to pass on what they know, and in some cases what they have not finished or may not be able to finish to us. What the hell did you older folks do when you didn't know something or needed help on your project when the internet or such car shows weren't around. This is how we operate and do things now days, with help from people around the globe brainwashing themselves with what you have created or appreciated from the start. Whether or not its restoring %100 or building straight from the heart of tradition. This is what it has become and if not passed on or respected from the ones who did it first it will eventually die out. These thoughts and belongings are possessions you cannot take with you and I hope they will all stay...

Muscle, Rat, or Street rod are not in any of our vocabulary and if anyone here is to argue with anything I have stated please pm me and I will be more than happy to explain myself in a more polite manner, that is if I have ANY respect for anyone who "looks down" on me or feels I have crossed the line in any way. I am 24 years of age building a pre-war roadster and hoping for someone to come my way chewing me out about this...Ill be waiting -YoungBlood
Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #66
fordgarage
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Blood View Post
Thanks for saying what ive been wanting to say for quite some time now without having a handful of senior citizens cyber jump me. Its kinda funny how back in "their day" hacking up a stock model A/T to build a rod to cruise or race was okay, but for us to be born and appreciate the work they had done and try our absolute best to mock even some of the smallest things they had done if even just to restore or customize a build in the easiest way is ignored or under appreciated . Not just through a forum but at car shows and cruises does it make me sick to think of how much we, the young, respect the older folk who have done it all and in a sense set the standards for us and yet from some we still get stepped on. These people should be trying to pass on what they know, and in some cases what they have not finished or may not be able to finish to us. What the hell did you older folks do when you didn't know something or needed help on your project when the internet or such car shows weren't around. This is how we operate and do things now days, with help from people around the globe brainwashing themselves with what you have created or appreciated from the start. Whether or not its restoring %100 or building straight from the heart of tradition. This is what it has become and if not passed on or respected from the ones who did it first it will eventually die out. These thoughts and belongings are possessions you cannot take with you and I hope they will all stay...

Muscle, Rat, or Street rod are not in any of our vocabulary and if anyone here is to argue with anything I have stated please pm me and I will be more than happy to explain myself in a more polite manner, that is if I have ANY respect for anyone who "looks down" on me or feels I have crossed the line in any way. I am 24 years of age building a pre-war roadster and hoping for someone to come my way chewing me out about this...Ill be waiting -YoungBlood
Sounds like you should be on the HAMB rather than Fordbarn, given your stated interests.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #67
Roadster62

Why chase away someone that wants to learn Ford history? Very elitest attitude IMO. I'm 61 and more that happy to share what I've picked up over the years. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Sounds like you should be on the HAMB rather than Fordbarn, given your stated interests.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #68
forddaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Hard enough to discuss rat rods here, but don't even begin to think about posting on the HAMB. There you will quickly learn what rude really means!
those HAMB guys are EXTREMELY RUDE. I left cause I don't need that kind of crap. I can handle cranky. I live with that daily. but outright nastiness is just uncalled for.

Last edited by forddaughter; 02-10-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #69
edzaha

This just proves that the old addage is true, opinions are like assholes- everyones got one
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #70
34pickup

This is becoming drama. And that usually means the mods lock it down.
Matt 24:36-41
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #71
Steve Wastler

To add a little to Edzaha's post..

and EVERYONE at some point can be one!

Why has this become an age thing? You self proclaimed young guys need to get over it and take the chip off your shoulder
Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #72
BILL WILLIAMSON

Age doesn't matter Act like adults and don't get nit picky. Yes, I'm an old (76)hot rodder too, I've chopped, channeled, modified, done "suicide" front ends,etc, etc Anyone that's innocent of any of this stuff, let him cast the first broken cluster gear at me!----Bill W's Ghost.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #73
30modelA

Quote:

nicely put, glad you see where im comming from, thanks for the comment
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #74
Tom Wesenberg

I've never seen a reply based on age, and I'm still waiting to read why the original post? What was the rude reply?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #75
30modelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Why chase away someone that wants to learn Ford history? Very elitest attitude IMO. I'm 61 and more that happy to share what I've picked up over the years. Bob
thanks roadster for standing up for us, that comment you quoted on is the very thing i am talking about.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #76
zzlegend

Quote:
I've never seen a reply based on age, and I'm still waiting to read why the original post? What was the rude reply?
Me to
Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #77
Fred K-OR

Welcome to this forum and have fun!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #78
WTSHNN

Several of the responses in this thread, made by the young and old alike, instantly made me think of this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

-Tim
Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #79
Craig Lewis

I've also gone back and searched for the "rude" replies to 30modelA and can see nothing more than folks bending over backwards to help him in every posting.
With all due respect, 30modelA can you kindly enlighten us all as to what exactly jilted your sensitive side?
If I was to trust my gut feeling, I'd almost wonder if there's someone with a hidden agenda in the background of this forum who's putting certain people up to this silliness.
Now before the flame throwers open up, listen.
I bought my Model A at the tender age of 26 and endured a certain amount of belittlement blending in with outright rudeness but I fought back and learned stuff and challenged those who attacked me.
More than once I learned I wasn't as right as I thought I was... while also learning the respect of others.
(at least "I think" someone respects me somewhere)
FAR greater was the multitudes of people who helped me and that's why I decided to stay focused on the preservation of Model A's as they left the factory.
It's an education you can't buy...
you don't deserve it...
you take some knocks along the way and learn as you go.
Life is a big game and there's a message put forth by many in this thread that we need to lighten up and put feelings aside sometimes in the real world. I've learned if you truly want to enjoy and share in the knowledge of a past generation you might have to do something to earn it. If this means excusing someone for a few errors,bad spelling,age difference,race,creed,political standing,religion or any of the other things everybody seems to be "on" about, then so be it.
I'm here for the CAR and that's all.
I enjoy a good scrap just as well as the fellowship as long as something good comes from it, but at the end of the day everything we hold dear was earned by "scrapping it out" and if you think history doesn't repeat itself I humbly suggest you go back and rot in school for a few more years.
Speaking for myself I'm thankfull to grow up in era which reaps the benefits of my elders who gave their lives and lost personal freinds in war and bloodshed while I'm at an age that seems to have missed any wars.
The fear of a little arguement on the internet seems pretty trivial compared to the hardships of many people between now and when the cars of our affection where built.
If this continues to the point where you guys are all wearing pink T-shirts in support of your emotions & sensitive sides...then I'd suggest you're trying to modify the wrong forum.
This sense of "entitlement" I keep hearing about is disturbing.
The world owes us nothing.
For free.......the sun comes up.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #80
700rpm

Arkansas, you have received about 80 responses to your original post, most of them expressing concern and sympathy. But you choose to embrace two that support your umbrage rather than the majority who acknowledge that sometimes things get testy. Fordgarage rightfully suggested in very polite and honest terms that Young Blood would be happier on the HAMB forum and you interpreted that as being talked down to. It was advice from an experienced and highly respected contributor here, and that's what this forum is about. And here is my advice to you on this topic: Don't be such a whineybutt. I think you need a serious attitude adjustment and some righteous maturing, and I'd say that to you whether you were 16 or 66.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #81
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
If I was to trust my gut feeling, I'd almost wonder if there's someone with a hidden agenda in the background of this forum who's putting certain people up to this silliness.
Trust that feeling. It is rather obvious.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #82
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
"6500 are you crazy, i just payed 8k for a fully restored 30 model"
and
"are you crazy you couldve bought 5 of those with that money"

Would these be examples of rude responses?
Hmm, since this (like oil threads) just won't seem to go away, I, like several others here have indicated, have perused the couple dozen or so entries that you have made on this site to date.
EVIDENCE is what I looked for. Evidence that what you have stated ("rude responses") is accurate or not. Out of your written contributions....two stand out wherein you kinda indicate that someone(s) CRAZY twice! 700rpm has accurately recorded your written word above. In your second use of 'crazy'....brentin10ac responded, IMO, in kind.
If you are basing your 'rude responses' remark(S) on this one response and on YOUR participation here , thus far, IMO....you ought to reevaluate your attitude/position in this matter! The evidence DOES NOT support your position, eh!
BTW- I am a 'recovering' crazy person and have gear grease in my yellow hair that's... older than you...does that make it rare?

Lesson: It's not what you say...it's how you say it.

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-10-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: add...
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #83
zzlegend

Ok 30 model a. This is just my opinion. Which probably does not mean much. I also saw your post on the phaeton for sale and your post about the Barrett Jackson Roadster Auction. And i have to say, that it looks like you like to use the word "Crazy" alot. If you got upset with the response you were given then i think you should probably give a little more thought when you post your opinion. I have been chastised a couple of times for things that i have posted on here, and i don't think i should have been, but like the old saying,,,"water of a ducks back". I dont let it bother me cause i am a geezer and very easy going. I was a youngin like you along time ago and i hope you dont get offensive and leave this site. Alot of good information is handed out on here and its free info. It don't get know better that. But if you do chose to leave that will be your decision. But i know if you ask a related model a question tomorrow, and ask in a mature way, that alot of people will respond and try to help you out. And for those that don't give the response that satisfies you, then forget em and move on. Again just my 2 cents. Mark.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #84
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'll make some shortinin' bread and black coffee for everyone, guaranteed to mellow us all out!
Bill W's Ghost
Old 02-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #85
spdway1

Where is that B. Terry Guy?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #86
Greg Jones

Craig Lewis, that is downright eloquent!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #87
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I amy get tarred and feathered for this but here goes !
I also retraced the posts and I would think if anything a post thanking the enlightened members for their free advice was in order. To disagree or have a different opinion is not wrong. To label a group who have been very helpful at no cost to you I consider wrong. Everyone else seems to have beat around the bush. I go on record as saying you should now post a thank you to all the members that have helped and post an apology for suggesting something that just has not been
proven ! I think the knowledgable members have been given a slam they don't deserve! So now I say be a man about it and apologize ! If you don't like my house don't knock on the door does us both a favor and go to another house !!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #88
modeleh

The older I get the more I realize that all people are kids, just some are in an older looking shell than others. One of my best pals I ever had was 60 years older than me, and I met him when I was 23. Age is not a concern here. Maturity is what matters.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #89
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Craig Lewis, that is downright eloquent!
well thankyou Greg
..darn nicest thing said to me all year
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #90
Milton

Quote:

OK Bosco here it comes. I will not pm my response because you had your public say and now it is my turn. This is not a chewing just a dose of reality from a 71 year old that was 24 once. As your post indicated,

"I will be more than happy to explain myself in a more polite manner,"

you obviously were impolite and you know it, so "Comes around, goes around."

"Its kinda funny how back in "their day" hacking up a stock model A/T to build a rod to cruise or race was okay"

That is tantamount to hacking a Ford Focus today so feel free but keep the comparisons in the proper time frame.

"try our absolute best to mock even some of the smallest things they had done if even just to restore or customize a build in the easiest way is ignored or under appreciated ."

I respect creativity not plagiarism, how much appreciation do you feel is deserved by a copy of the real thing.

"What the hell did you older folks do when you didn't know something or needed help on your project when the internet or such car shows weren't around."

We figured it out. The person that can do that is the person I respect.

"This is how we operate and do things now days, with help from people around the globe"

Dandy, do it your way but don't expect me to. I come from a time when individualism was a quality and I'm just not ready for group hugs and singing Kum by ya, especially with this group.

I am eager to help anyone I can but, after 70 plus years, I'm too old to waste what precious time I have left listening to whiners let alone responding to them. Since you obviously need this help I am making an exception.

Save this thread and if and/or when you make seventy read it and you might be able understand where I'm coming from.

Don't bother to respond, I think it is about even now and I am through with this thread.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #91
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

WOW! Can't we all just get along? I'm 70 and love talking with anybody about A's regardless of their age. I talked to some fourth graders a couple of years ago and gave a mini history lesson at the same time. It was more fun than a barrell of monkeys. Sometimes I get to be the kid and someone much older than me gets to play teacher. I love reading the posts from the younger guys, and sometimes I learn a thing or two about the A. Old guys and young guys------START YOUR ENGINES!!!

Jack
Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #92
James Rogers

Craig, I went back and read your post and could not agree more. The youth of today expect everything handed to them on a silver platter. The entitlement attitude is rampant among the population but, you know what, We did it to ourselves. We all wanted more and better for our children just as our parents did for us. This came from the depths of the depression when nobody had work, money or things. We carried it too far and now we have to pay the price. You will always appreciate what you EARN more than what is given to you.

As for paying your dues, we all have to do that. Every time you ask a question you pay some dues by accepting the answer. Some dues are cheap but some are expensive and the answer may not sound like what you want to hear or offend you. That doesn't make the answer wrong, just you. I was always told "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". I grew up poor and stupid and had to pay some pretty big dues but I survived and now the path is easier. Don't let paying dues scare or pi$$ you off, we all have to pay them

Remember, nobody here owes you anything and the answers can get a little gruff, especially in the middle of winter.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #93
HoarseWhisperer

"If I was to trust my gut feeling, I'd almost wonder if there's someone with a hidden agenda",.............

involving a sinister, behind-the-scenes evil plot to change the format of FB to the Hell's Kitchen online cooking show, demonstrating the finer aspects of "stirring the pot".
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #94
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Where is that B. Terry Guy?
Why do you ask ?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #95
rustyrim

Troll (Internet)

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".
While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[5][6]
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #96
azmodela
BANNED

To keep you updated rusty rim, internet troll is a rather outdated term. Internet ninja or keyboard assassin is a current term. They are quick, swift, quiet, and usually cause great harm before you can realize what has happened. They hide behind the keyboard much as a real ninja uses the cover of darkness.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #97
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

Do they use keyboard Karate?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #98
asapguy

30modelA. don't feel bad. I'm a senior member & owned Model A's for over 50 yrs. Got my 1st at 15 yrs old. I onced asked asked a question about home use of soda blasters for stripping paint. I got 7 or 8 sarcastic answers before someone finely gave me a reasonable answer. I send a lot of pictures to guys on the forum but try to do it in a personal msg. Good luck to you. Perry
Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #99
Young_Blood

Jack '29 Sport Coupe, we need more folks like you!!

Milton, Thank you for the reply. You just fueled my post even more by proving me right! I appreciate it!..

"I am eager to help anyone I can but, after 70 plus years, I'm too old to waste what precious time I have left listening to whiners let alone responding to them."

..Hahahahahaha, on that contradicting note ill leave this thread alone!!! -YB
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #100
bogdonj

Im pretty sure we can learn from older ppl and younger ppl. I"m 26 and have talked to everyone and have been giving or gave good advice to every age!
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #101
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodela View Post
To keep you updated rusty rim, internet troll is a rather outdated term. Internet ninja or keyboard assassin is a current term. They are quick, swift, quiet, and usually cause great harm before you can realize what has happened. They hide behind the keyboard much as a real ninja uses the cover of darkness.

Yeah, but I still prefer troll. Ninja assassins have a certain coolness, probably resulting from all the Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, etc movies - trolls are just nasty.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #102
Ryan
Administrator

Hey fellas. All I ask is that people be decent to each other. If you can do that, you have problems. Bigger than the account you will lose here...
Closed Thread