Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Deluxe Delivery

Unhappy How would you handle this...ebay situation?

OK, I scored a nice looking original A running chassis on the e-bay the other day. Called the guy, he said he made a street rod out of an all original 30 tudor and wanted to get rid of the running chassis and all the other "junk", fenders, dash, interior parts etc because all he wanted was this cherry body. I said " OK, if you throw in all the extra stuff, I won't even make an offer, I'll pay full asking price with the Buy-It Now. He agreed and I offered an immediate deposit with the balance paid in cash in person. He said he'd trust me and would not sell it to anyone else and I can pay all cash on pickup. I again agreed. Then he called back and wanted it all on paypal, saying e-bay requires it that way. I said it only requires a deposit when buying cars, but he insisted, and again I agreed.
I paid in full with paypal. I called him today to arrange to pick it up tomorrow and he said "You cost me $120..that's what paypal took and you can pay me cash tomorrow !" I countered that I tried to pay him cash, but it was his idea to go with paypal. He said he wasn't aware of that and if I want the parts, I have to bring an extra $120.
I am a little upset that I have to pay his paypal fees that he insisted on using. I really want the chassis and parts, but feel a bit hosed if I give him an extra$120. So, before I travel 6 hours to retrieve my purchase, I'd like to know what you think. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
SGT in Ont.

Default Re: How would you handle this...ebay situation?

I would report him to Ebay/Paypal. I don't think he can hold the parts because Paypal charged him the the transaction. It's not up to you to pay his fees. He should have known there was a fee before he listed the items. His beef is with Paypal not yoy.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I completely agree with you and you shouldn't have to pay $120. I also think if you want the parts you will be paying another $120. He who holds the parts is boss.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Tinker

I'd probably pay it. Here's why, because you'll get tied up in all sorts of bs if you don't.

I might however once loaded, he's been payed, title signed over (if title is going with the frame.) Give him a small peace of my mind. Might that is.

Being eager or nice sometimes makes you a target.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
shall

I don't believe he can pass on the paypal fees any more than a merchant is suppose to pass on CC fees...which doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I would pass on the deal, and file it with ebay/paypal to get your money back if he doesn't refund it.
shall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

This is part of the bad side of Paypal. In 2008 Paypal kept over $300 of my money in their blasted fees. Then people have the nerve to bash sellers over the price of the parts. After you figure listing fees, final aution fees, paypal fees then the taxes on the profits there is not much left for the sellers. Cash on pickup of large items is always preferred as long as the cash is not counterfit, which has happenned to me once. I now have a counterfit checker pen to make sure that it never happens again.

Guesse you and the seller have some things to iron out and I see both points of view. Rod
Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
MikeK

What Tom W said. You made a side deal for the parts, not in writing. I'd think if someone offered me 4 original cherry fenders I'd be runnin' over there FAST with a fist full-o-hundred dollar bills. Screw the $120.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
VWJoe

Remember, those are HIS paypal fees, not yours. He should have made it perfectly clear in his ad that the buyer will pay his paypal fees !!!. I wouldn't pay anyones paypal fees. The threat of you giving him negative feedback works wonders. If he's a straight up person, he should eat the buck twenty cause its his fault
VWJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
700rpm

I'd walk away. Bad karma all around this deal. Get a refund and go through PP buyer protection if you have to. There are lots of Model A pats out there, and you'll find what you need another day from an honest seller. This guy is as crooked as a politician. Tell him to put his parts and his fees where the sun won't shine on 'em.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Pay him the $120 AND then file totally negative feedback with paypal!!! If he has what you want and need then even with the extra 120 it's still a good deal for you. JMO Especiaaly if you're getting a title with the chassis.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
hardtimes

700RPM and others are right on! Buyer (YOU) beware of a person who exhibits this kind of behavior! Those who complain about ebay ..WHY? Ebay is your only 'friend' here in this matter. Who else are you going to rely on, those who complain about ebay? Don't think so! Also, make positive to give this scum a feedback that reflects his behavior, so in that way you might help others.
The way this guy has behaved , so far, indicates that you MIGHT have more to worry about than an extra $120. I'm talking the condition of the stuff that he represented to you to begin with. RUN...while you can. You can/will have other opportunities for ethical/moral people in time.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Keith True

I think it is something you should walk away from.Main reason being this is being read by the seller,and you can pretty much count on things not being the same as they were when you get there once the can of worms has been opened in public.I do agree 100% with you,as you are in the right,according to paypal rules.So you can drop the whole thing,through paypal,getting cooperation from them is another can of worms.Or,you can bite the bullet,pay,and hope for the best.Quite a few people will try to change the deal once you have driven 6 hours for something,thinking you will cave rather than waste the trip.I talked to this seller,for a friend who has a new body and is looking for a chassis to use under it.He is willing to travel(retired)and would have bought it but he found another chassis closer,same thing,rodder taking apart a rust free car.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
dave in australia

I agree with 700RPM, don't pickup the parts and get a refund, paypal advertise buyer protection, so use it.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
peters180a/170b

If it said BUY NOW ! AND you paid that price shown that's a contract. If it was $50.00 PAY NOW its $50.00 !!!!!!!!! I would bring that up to him first and if he gives you any lip... then call ebay on his action[Let them deal with it first ,,,it will not take that long at all.. 1 DAY THE MOST...Iv'e BEEN THERE and done that...]. And then list his name here so we will know who to watch out for...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
34Fordtk

One thing no-one has brought up yet......the EXTRA parts are/were NOT (if I read your first post right) part of the auction! So he has you over a barrel, pay him the $120 if you want the stuff.
BUT I would make sure I had someone with me when I went there to pick it up........
Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

I would definatly report him to paypal and ebay. And done pay the 120 bucks.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
mrtexas

It all boils down to a willing buyer and willing seller. You can't force him to deliver the stuff you paid for. If he is unwilling to take what you paid, you can get a refund thru paypal. Apparently he now wants $120 more than what you paid. It is up to you. Get a refund, pay the extra $120, or bargain with the seller.

Paypal/ebay will only help to get back what you paid if you don't get the goods. They only care about their fees and will help if you pay and don't get. Anything else and you are on your own.

I had an interesting experience once. A guy had an F-1 steering column I wanted. He said he would do a buy it now if I bid $275. He didn't so I cancelled my bid. I then re-bid and won the auction for $205. He wouldn't sell it to me for $205 so I paid him the $275, still a bargain.

As a result of that I now have two ebay accounts, 28ModelAR-RPU and ModelA4RD to avoid that outcome again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
If it said BUY NOW ! AND you paid that price shown that's a contract. If it was $50.00 PAY NOW its $50.00 !!!!!!!!! I would bring that up to him first and if he gives you any lip... then call ebay on his action[Let them deal with it first ,,,it will not take that long at all.. 1 DAY THE MOST...Iv'e BEEN THERE and done that...]. And then list his name here so we will know who to watch out for...
Ebay won't force him to give you the stuff:
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
jerry tocci

Give him the EXTRA money and file a complaint with ebay and paypal against this a-hole. They can lock up his paypal account untill the dispute is setteled. Get a reciept for the extra cash, or better yet pay the $120.00 through paypal. Get home with the goods first.
jerry tocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Banky

Don't waste your time with ebay. PayPal however will refund you the money with a quickness! They don't mess around.
Banky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
jerry tocci

Remember, you did a deal outside of ebay.
jerry tocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
Bob C

I agree with 34FORDTK, if you file a complaint with PayPal he is just going to say
the $120 was for the extra parts and if you don't pay the $120 no extra parts. He is just black mailing you.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If the extra parts are worth the $120.00 pay him. Then report him and give him a negitive feed back stating your having to pay his fees.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
raceron1120

Sadly, too many people see only the good side of ebay selling - so much so that they don't read or understand the fees involved. One of the reasons I quit selling stuff on ebay over 10 years ago - just too much drama and BS, having to deal with the "ifs, ands, and buts" of it all. And the fees they charge are ridiculous. I'm all for making a profit but jeeeeeees, sometime it's a bit much. But then, noboby's making anyone use 'em either.

I tried on a couple of occasions to make side deals and it seemed every time I did, it degraded to a pissin' match. Best advice - "buyer beware, seller beware".

Just part of doing ebay. IMO.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
sidevalve

EBAY and PAYPAL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!
The guy sound like a complete @#*!? to me.
There is a lot of good advise here to ponder from the other members. I just had to sound off. I cant stand it when someone get took.

He insisted you pay by paypal. He got hit with the fees. He's the seller. He pays the fees, PERIOD!......
Anything outside of that is fraud.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
pooch

Hope ya ain't lookin' at these bits with rose coloured glasses on, and do a 6 hour trip there with $120 in hand and find the parts are no where near as good as described and you have wasted 12 hours and a lot of fuel and still have to chase you paypal payment back.

You will be ticked off real bad then.

I would get out now and get your money back and put it down to experience.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
Wallace

Pay the jerk with your best gentle face....and move on, although these deals are hard to forget. IMO "cheating situations" are far less with A people than other hobbies. Ebay will give you NO help if the jerk is one of their sellers. Absolutely foget about any customer satisfaction from them.
Inner peace is found in the Ford Barn (that's pretty good eh?)
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
Ron Lachniet

If this is a real good deal I would do like others have said and get the stuff loaded and a receit and then inform him that this was a very poor way to do buisness. As my mother used to say, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
Chris Haynes

You knew he was an asshole when he told you he butchered a Model A.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #29
Terry, NJ

Don't buy from E-bay, Don't use Paypal, EVER! Too much BS
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
2935ford

I'm afraid he's got you. Not nice and he knows it and more than likely knows better but nothing you can do about it unless you want to do small claims court, if they will even accept the claim and in my opinion not worth your time.
So, just give him the money if you want the parts and lesson learned.

The world is full of people who want it their way all the time. It's up to us to try and weed them out. Shame.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #31
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lachniet View Post
If this is a real good deal I would do like others have said and get the stuff loaded and a receit and then inform him that this was a very poor way to do buisness. As my mother used to say, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
I made the fatal mistake one time -- dealing with a local wrecking yard on some seats for my van. The guy was "trying" to stiff me after I had agreed to buy the seats by telling me that the brackets to mount them to the floor were extra. Because I wanted the seats, and I already had my check made out for the added cost and said something under my breath like I was getting ripped off for the added cost. He just handed me back my check and said that the seats weren't for sale.

Like others have said, if you want it, pay the extra, then wait till everything is loaded up and tied down and you are ready to leave before saying anything (if at all). You can always take it up with EB/PP after you get home.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
Steve Wastler

Can we say EXTORTION!!!!! What a pric*!!! Sorry to hear of this. I agree with Chris Haynes!!! As others stated you are only covered for the buy it now deal, not the side deal for the other parts. Your between a rock and a hard place, hope it works in your favor. In my younger years, I'd have driven down, paid the 120 picked up the parts, then beat the living shit out of him. Good thing I gain a little wisdom.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #33
TinCup

Ebay owns Pay Pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banky View Post
Don't waste your time with ebay. PayPal however will refund you the money with a quickness! They don't mess around.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #34
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Pay the jerk with your best gentle face....and move on, although these deals are hard to forget. IMO "cheating situations" are far less with A people than other hobbies. Ebay will give you NO help if the jerk is one of their sellers. Absolutely foget about any customer satisfaction from them.
Inner peace is found in the Ford Barn (that's pretty good eh?)
I've never been cheated on Ebay in hundreds of transactions. The only time I got cheated was on Fordbarn.

Ebay is a business and has to charge fees to stay in business. If you don't like the fees why don't you buy some Ebay stock? You'd be paying yourself. Otherwise don't buy/sell on Ebay. Quite a monopoly though!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
TommyCoupe

It all comes down to how bad you want these parts. If you really don't want to miss out on the deal, I'd probably try to meet him halfway and offer $60. If he refuses, then deal off.
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #36
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

VERY VERY SIMPLE Once you get your goods you can report to Pay Pal that you were charged and additional 120.00 Pay Pal will reverse the fee as it is against policy,
Get a receipt that states the 120.00 charge and you are good...
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
Great Lakes Greg

If you should go through with the sale, which I don't recommend, be sure to burn him good on the feedback.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #38
Fred
BANNED

Ok, Ask him to send you an Invoice for the extra $120.00, Pay it with Pay-Pal, go & get ALL items agreed on.. Then file a claim with Pay-Pal for him charging you with his fees.. Dont worry E-BAY has ALL E-MAILS between the both of you & will see what he is doing..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #39
ronn

Banky, ebay owns Paypal. (ebay owns part of Craigslist too!)

I would have just got my money back, plain and simple. Paypal would have no problem with your getting a refund.

Some "deals" are just not worth the aggravation. This is supposed to be a "fun" hobby....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
J Franklin

Refuse the purchase and get paypal to reverse the charge then just wait until he re-lists the chassis and maybe you can buy it for less
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #41
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Refuse the purchase and get paypal to reverse the charge then just wait until he re-lists the chassis and maybe you can buy it for less
He will just block him from bidding, easy fix for seller..
Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #42
Roadster62

If it really is that good I wouldn't risk loosing it for $120.00. HOWEVER once it is on your trailer explain to the SOB that payback is sometimes a bitch and you get to post FEEDBACK on eBay, NEGATIVE FEEDBACK! Then ask him if he really wants the $120.00? As a seller I know eBay anf PayPay take a fee he's a dope for not knowing. Let us know how things go. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery View Post
OK, I scored a nice looking original A running chassis on the e-bay the other day. Called the guy, he said he made a street rod out of an all original 30 tudor and wanted to get rid of the running chassis and all the other "junk", fenders, dash, interior parts etc because all he wanted was this cherry body. I said " OK, if you throw in all the extra stuff, I won't even make an offer, I'll pay full asking price with the Buy-It Now. He agreed and I offered an immediate deposit with the balance paid in cash in person. He said he'd trust me and would not sell it to anyone else and I can pay all cash on pickup. I again agreed. Then he called back and wanted it all on paypal, saying e-bay requires it that way. I said it only requires a deposit when buying cars, but he insisted, and again I agreed.
I paid in full with paypal. I called him today to arrange to pick it up tomorrow and he said "You cost me $120..that's what paypal took and you can pay me cash tomorrow !" I countered that I tried to pay him cash, but it was his idea to go with paypal. He said he wasn't aware of that and if I want the parts, I have to bring an extra $120.
I am a little upset that I have to pay his paypal fees that he insisted on using. I really want the chassis and parts, but feel a bit hosed if I give him an extra$120. So, before I travel 6 hours to retrieve my purchase, I'd like to know what you think. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #43
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
VERY VERY SIMPLE Once you get your goods you can report to Pay Pal that you were charged and additional 120.00 Pay Pal will reverse the fee as it is against policy,
Get a receipt that states the 120.00 charge and you are good...
Mark has it exactly right on this one. PayPal is all about buyer satisfaction and will screw a seller in a heartbeat if they think that the buyer is unhappy. Pay the clown his $120 and then file a claim with PayPal because it's completely against their policies to make the buyer absorb the fees. They'll lock his account up in a New York minute with all of his funds in there, and they won't release the funds to him until you've been reimbursed. They've been known to freeze accounts for far less legitimate reasons, and the fact that you struck the deal outside of eBay is irrelevant.

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
Jim Parker Toronto

If it was me, I would go, inspect the parts, pay the extra's, and load the trailer and then pull off his property. I feel that you want this deal to happen. Then I would threaten him with report to PayPal, and the smearing of his name on this and other sites, (Hamb), that he might visit. Be sure to follow through with this. He might cave in and do the right thing.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #45
Fred
BANNED

Negative F/B means nothing to some sellers as they are NOT every day sellers.. And to make it worse, even others could care less & keep right on buying...
Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I made the fatal mistake one time -- dealing with a local wrecking yard on some seats for my van. The guy was "trying" to stiff me after I had agreed to buy the seats by telling me that the brackets to mount them to the floor were extra. Because I wanted the seats, and I already had my check made out for the added cost and said something under my breath like I was getting ripped off for the added cost. He just handed me back my check and said that the seats weren't for sale.

Like others have said, if you want it, pay the extra, then wait till everything is loaded up and tied down and you are ready to leave before saying anything (if at all). You can always take it up with EB/PP after you get home.
Every junk yard I've dealt with was real nice........until they made their first million! Then they turn into real jerks. I worked at a yard for about 10 years and my boss was exactly the same way. After he made his first million he started treating the customers and employees like crap. A customer came in and wanted to buy the front clip for a Lincoln. The guy said he didn't have his tools along, so he'd stop back in 2 days and take it off. As soon as the customer walked out the door the boss crushed the car just ot piss off the customer.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
Keith True

I never got anywhere with a claim with paypal.I bought something for $4-$500,somewhere in there.I never got what I bought.I went back and forth with the guy,he didn't ignore me anyway.Wife had kicked him out,restraining order,couldn't get the parts,etc.I said fine,send my money back.That was already gone too.I filed a claim with paypal,they recovered $56. or so.When I asked about their buyer protection I was told they recovered everything they could from his account.Just by accident I had used my own credit card,not the paypal credit.My card company took the money from paypal.Paypal was extremely unhappy.At this point anything you do is going to end on a sour note.What do you suppose is going on in his head after reading all these suggestions?He IS reading this,he put the chassis on ebay because he felt he would get more money for it there than on here.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #48
Fred K-OR

If you want the stuff bad enough, pay him and get it overwith. Then try to bitch to PayPal and see if anything comes out of it. You can't fight "city hall".
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #49
Mike in Mass

Lots of great commemts . I guess we won,t know, till he posts again , on what happend . evil-bay is all about the fees , $ $ $ $ $ thats it ! . but I agree ,he should not pay the guys fees after he made him use paypal . as far as the feedback thing goes ..,just leave one word ,,,sad ,, an let everyone try to figure it out ...what goes around ,comes around ,,,he,ll get his mp
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #50
68Chevelle

I deal a lot on ebay/ buy and sell with an emphasis on selling. Anything I sell on ebay is as follows, I pay the listing fee, the percentaged that ebay charges and all buyers are "supposed" to pay me with paypal. I accept money orders or cash in person and ebay can't do anything about that... The buyer I beleive pays for the paypal fee, I could be wrong, however, if I have to pay for the paypal fee it would come from my earnings through ebay but it has always been a small percentage and I haven't even noticed nor would complain about what they take out. They provide an easy service that is basically "as good as cash"... So in short pay pal does take a fee either from the purchaser or from the seller but it is a small percentage compared to the purchase price and $120 sounds like a substantial amount of money to owe the guy whom claims paypal charged him that. As far as I'm concerned he knew pay pal takes a certain amount of money when he lists on ebay and the minute he clicks the "list" button leaves all transactions and percentages taken from the final selling up to ebay and pay pal. As long as he didn't state that the buyer had to pay for the "pay pal" fee in his listing then you are not responsible for paying that fee! If he did state that in his listing/auction the item probably would have been taken off or ended by the ebay "crew" because they don't take too kind to things or stipulations like that... So I wouldn't pay the guy the extra $120 unless you feel that the parts are worth the extra cash and if not file a complaint and get your money back and wait for an honest seller to sell you some good parts...
68Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #51
Roadster62

I'm no math wiz, but I believe the PayPal fee is around $3.00 per every $100.00, as a seller I don't have a problem getting $97.00 instantly on a $100.00 sale vs. waiting for a Money Order in the old days. We don't know what the total was on the sale that started this thread but I think the $120.00 may be more than the actual PayPal fee.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #52
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
I'm no math wiz, but I believe the PayPal fee is around $3.00 per every $100.00, as a seller I don't have a problem getting $97.00 instantly on a $100.00 sale vs. waiting for a Money Order in the old days. We don't know what the total was on the sale that started this thread but I think the $120.00 may be more than the actual PayPal fee.
I think you're abought right as far as PayPal's fees, but I wonder if this guy's not figuring the $120 off of what PayPal AND eBay are charging him. That's a realistic number if he listed the chassis as a vehicle rather than parts (provided he's already passed his quota of 4 free listings per year on vehicles). Regardless, the eBay and PayPal fees are a cost of doing business and should have been figured into his price of the items up front.

I mean let's face it, you don't walk into McDonnalds to buy a burger and get told "Well, the burger is a buck but the utility company really put the screws to us this month so you owe us an extra 20 cents..." do you? Pay the guy his $120 and then file a claim with PayPal. Negative feedback on eBay doesn't mean squat, but I guarantee that once his PayPal account gets locked up and he can't get to his money (or can't continue to receive money from other folks) he'll get cooperative really quick!

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #53
Roadster62

IF the chassis in question was the one I found on eBay the seller has ZERO feedbacks, so he/she may be clueless to things, still starting life on eBay with a big negative wouldn't help future sales.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #54
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
IF the chassis in question was the one I found on eBay the seller has ZERO feedbacks, so he/she may be clueless to things, still starting life on eBay with a big negative wouldn't help future sales.
And as I had stated, Would he really CARE ??..
Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #55
32 hiboy

you come into this world when your born. common sense and your word. like the other's said, i would ask for my money back and walk away. let him sit on the parts. it is a manner of principle. i sell on ebay also and everyone knows it costs when you sell. he is running a scam for more mone. there is a full model a chassis on ebay right now. go for it.
32 hiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #56
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshady View Post
Mark has it exactly right on this one. PayPal is all about buyer satisfaction and will screw a seller in a heartbeat if they think that the buyer is unhappy. Pay the clown his $120 and then file a claim with PayPal because it's completely against their policies to make the buyer absorb the fees. They'll lock his account up in a New York minute with all of his funds in there, and they won't release the funds to him until you've been reimbursed. They've been known to freeze accounts for far less legitimate reasons, and the fact that you struck the deal outside of eBay is irrelevant.

Deron
I agree. I had a buyer block my account because he didn't like how I cleaned a part once. I had to discount the sale price to get him to release the account. Even at that I lost the percentage on the original sale price compared to the final price.
File a claim after you pick up the parts and have paid him. Better yet tell him you will only pay the overage by pay pal and then file. This gives you a paper trail to use for proof.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #57
Ray Parson

do not let the extra parts get away for 120.00 bucks just pay and forget it forget him just go on with life if you dont get the parts you will be pissed at your self not a good move > if the parts are good <
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #58
jr-41ford

I do believe your PayPal deposit is non-refundable and part of your transaction is not part of the original eBay listing. eBay will not help you with the off-ebay transaction, PayPal may.

Either way, you're going to lose some money, maybe you can split the difference of the fee with the seller.

PayPal can either be good or bad when it comes to buying and selling. You need to read the fine print.

If you can get all your money back, that would be great. See if the seller will work with you.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #59
Roadster5040

I would be concerned that you are even going to get what you already paid for go pay the 120 put parts in transportation and then proceed to put a can of ass whipping on him (just kidding sounds good) I do a lot of eBay business. Do not mess with eBay as this is a deal between you and seller via PayPal if deal is bad go through PayPal and turn him into eBay with negative feed back. Deal will probably work out perfect for you chalk up the 120 as learning curve.
Roadster5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
Frank Miller

Ebay is the best game in town but a big ripoff. Much like Hershey. A friend sold some stuff for $805 including shipping and the total fees for ebay and paypal were over $100. Yes, they charge you for the shipping too. So, if you have some bulky items that cost as much to ship as you sold them for you are paying double the fees. There should be a class action suit but i think this was done because people were putting real cheap stuff with high shipping fees to avoid paying the commission. if you want the parts you will have to pay. if the part is advertised on ebayand you need it everyone will pay.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #61
t42

Always ask the seller through the "ask seller a question" if he will accept cash, money order, or other form of payment. If he responds yes, you have an authorization other than "paypal". Most sellers will agree to this, but the new sellers are scared to death by "e-bay's and paypal's" policies. They almost demand that you use their set-up. If you don't like the fee structure, don't use their service. Lots of other sites are selling items that used to be e-bay exclusively. I wonder why?
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #62
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I'd probably pay it. Here's why, because you'll get tied up in all sorts of bs if you don't.

I might however once loaded, he's been payed, title signed over (if title is going with the frame.) Give him a small peace of my mind. Might that is.

Being eager or nice sometimes makes you a target.

No I disagree with this. He cannot hold the parts ransom because he has paypal fees. I had a dispute one time over a cell phone I bought via paypal and literally within 4 days all the charges were reversed and I had all my money back.

I would report him to ebay and paypal and chalk it up as a loss, or maybe just threaten to him about reporting him and see if he backs down.
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #63
Deluxe Delivery

Wow !
First of all guys, I am astounded and greatly warmed by your response and support ! Secondly, I couldn't even read all of these great bits of advise and "takes" on my problem because the "Barn" went down for maintenance the whole rest of the day and the morning that I left on the 6 hour drive ! Third, I am elated to report that all was resolved without conflict of any kind ! It turns out the chassis that I bought was better than expected, and all of the "extra" parts not listsed in the ad were 100% CRAP ! I intended in showing no interest in these parts, even if they were nice, but they were absolutely worthless ! I honestly would not take them for free. When he saw my complete disinterest in the parts, he didn't even bring up the extra payment. Oh, did I mention I took a very large friend with me ? At two to one odds, he was extremely co-operative, even wrote me out a nice reciept and said to call him if I have any problems with the chassis ! We shook hands and parted respectfully. Maybe he had second thoughts, maybe Karma intervened...Heck, maybe he read all your comments here on the barn ! Whatever the reason, I am very pleased to rescue another of Henry's butchered orphans and am looking foreward to some reconstructive surgery....anybody have an orphaned body they want to move ? Thanks again for all the sage advise, I really feel part of a community here.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #64
CarlG

Hey! That's great!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #65
Steve Wastler

So glad to hear it all worked out, your happy, he's happy, you have rescued 1 more for the restorers!! Good luck with the hunt for a usable body....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #66
antiquepa

Follow Jerry G advice, he hit it right on the button!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #67
Roadster62

Is the chassis that was listed by the guy with ZERO eBay feedbacks? Looked good in the photos, glad things worked out well. Bob
Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #68
Tom Wesenberg

Do you have a link or ebay number, so we can see it?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #69
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery View Post
Wow...I am elated to report that all was resolved without conflict of any kind!... Thanks again for all the sage advise, I really feel part of a community here.
Well that's great to hear.

Kinda like with the old cars, there are still a few good ones (sellers) out there. Hoping a good lesson to all here - to be very careful when online buying/selling, and keep it all upfront and well-documented just in case.

BTW, do you have some pics to show?
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #70
29closedcab

I delt with a gentleman who sounds just like this guy. He put me through a slurry of bs over fees. When I went to pick up parts he never even showed up. He gave me the address of the local post office not his house. Wasted 4 hours of drive time and had hard time getting my money back. RUN
29closedcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #71
Tinker

Glad it turned out well for you. Sometimes you have to take a chance and trust people. Having a big friend isn't bad either. . Shame the extras weren't nice, $120 for good fenders would not have been bad.

In my previous post I was not condoning the seller stance what so ever. I do agree that it is unfair to have to pay the extra fees and I would not personally conduct myself in that manner. My comment was for a possible painless end.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #72
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Ebay is the best game in town but a big ripoff. Much like Hershey. A friend sold some stuff for $805 including shipping and the total fees for ebay and paypal were over $100. Yes, they charge you for the shipping too. So, if you have some bulky items that cost as much to ship as you sold them for you are paying double the fees. There should be a class action suit but i think this was done because people were putting real cheap stuff with high shipping fees to avoid paying the commission. if you want the parts you will have to pay. if the part is advertised on ebayand you need it everyone will pay.

Sorry you are way way wrong, there is NO Fees for shipping and NO ONE at all makes you ship through ebay, It is the BEST Game in town, Hence the most successful auction house on the net, Tell Frank, where can you advertise to 10 million people all at one for one tiny fee!!! Tell me...The answer NOW WHERE on the planet except ebay.. The best game in town!!!
You friend paid 8% TOTAL to sell an item. Big deal, with charge card fees for the layman at 3.5 to 4% HE DID GREAT!
I have used ebay for over 15 years and have done incredible. There is a way to work it and then there is a way to fail at it. Dont be so negative until youve made a living off of it and been able to build a home from it.

JMHO!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #73
Bob C

Mark, The cost of shipping is included in the final value fee.
Final value fee
(Based on the total amount of the sale, including the cost of the item, shipping, and any other fees a seller may charge, excluding any sales tax)
The above is from Ebays web site.

Bob
Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #74
jan bogert

call ebay, they WILL straighten him out on the matter. BUY NOW AT THAT PRICE IS JUST WHAT IT SAYS. NOT ANY MORE. JAN.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #75
Deluxe Delivery

I will post pics of the chassis tomorrow, hopefully. Since it was in the high 49's today, I spent sall day "playing" with my new toy. Changed oil, attached radiator, wiring, battery and made a temporary dash. Tried to start it but saw some smoke and decided to quit while I was ahead. Didn't have my camera with me. Thanks again to all who were interested in this.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #76
bogdonj

Looking forward to the pics tomorrow.....glad everything worked out!
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #77
CRguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Mark, The cost of shipping is included in the final value fee.
Final value fee
(Based on the total amount of the sale, including the cost of the item, shipping, and any other fees a seller may charge, excluding any sales tax)
The above is from Ebays web site.

Bob
Bob: That is correct. Many sellers are adding a handling fee to cover the additional Ebay fee on the shipping. Also, you can no longer add insurance costs to the invoice. If you, as the seller want to be covered, you need to buy the insurance yourself. To recover that cost, you again add a little into the handling fee.

Mel
CRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #78
Deluxe Delivery

Well, here are the pics you have been waiting for. The first 4 are of the fate of the body. THIS IS NOT MY CAR, it is what happened to the body that used to be married to the chassis I bought ! I will let you be the judge. The next pic is of us loading it on the trailer. And the next ones are of Henry's orphan in it's new home. I swear it's smiling at me ! Weather is nice and I'm still playin'. Needs points, timing etc. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auction 017.jpg (74.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg auction 018.jpg (71.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg auction 019.jpg (58.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg auction 020.jpg (41.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg auction 021.jpg (81.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg auction 022.jpg (90.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg auction 023.jpg (87.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg auction 025.jpg (75.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg auction 026.jpg (102.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg auction 027.jpg (74.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg auction 028.jpg (81.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg auction 029.jpg (43.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg auction 031.jpg (48.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg auction 032.jpg (40.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #79
Fred K-OR

Have fun with it!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #80
1931 flamingo

NICE!! enjoy.
Paul in CT
Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #81
restomod32

You did well on the deal, keep us posted when you find a body.......

good luck and have fun
restomod32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #82
Tinker

IMO... What a horrible fate for that A.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #83
Fred K-OR

Just thought I would ask. But have you thought about making a Huckster or a wagon out of your purchase?? If you would like some info about this type of body, just PM me and I will pass it on to you. Below is what I ended up with on my old pickup chassis I had for 60 years or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9555a.jpg (80.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #84
peters180a/170b

Don't know what you paid for it but if under $1,500. you did well...Good luck and think of a repro roadster body....????
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #85
Gumpy

If the parts are truly what you want I would pay the 120. then give him a piece of your mind and feedback...then you could walk away with a clean slate,,,please keep us posted!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #86
1931 flamingo

Gumpy: Go back to post #79, he got it, pictures posted. All is well.
Paul in CT
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #87
68Chevelle

Wow great to hear. I guess it seems there was the third option of all going well, congrats and good luck.
A real pitty what some of these car bodies end up being turned into... I hope at least he will enjoy the car and you will enjoy the frame!
68Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #88
Semitar6

If you report this to paypal, they will freeze his account and refund your money after so many days. As a seller on ebay he should already be aware that Paypal takes fees for online transactions. I sold thousands of items on ebay and had to take this into consideration when I listed items to begin with. Report him to ebay as well but perhaps you should just tell him you want a refund through paypal and avoid all the hassle. If he refuses then report him.
Semitar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #89
Bob C

Seems like a few people missed post #64. Everything turned out fine, buyer and seller are happy.

Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #90
rickmass

Glad you made out/one for the good guy,s Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote