Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #61
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: Champion 3X Spark plug drawings and pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
Fred, d. j. .......................
I am not saying that it is an "A" plug. Read again.... "It has the Ford script and fits the "A" & "B" heads".
What in the world is it ???????
MIKE
"A" Ford plug that fits a CHEVY !!...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #62
dean from bozeman

This has been one of the best threads ever on Fordbarn. It's been informative, with great photos, blueprints and amazing comparisons. There also have been numerous contributors who have a great deal of knowledge.

It shows how the Internet can be used as a vehicle to advance our knowledge in a matter of moments. This thread also demonstrates how nonpersonal and confusing it can make communication. The semantics of a Model A plug (that which Ford supplied at the factory) and a plug that fits a Model A (purchased to replace original plugs) creates an interesting side show.

I really wish there was a way to save the "best threads" because this one is certainly a keeper.

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #63
jw hash

Mike not to confuse the issue, but yes the long core that mot`s picture shows is for the ford the model T -X plug and I was not talking about that one when I said long core, champion was pretty smart a lot of the cores back then can go into other bases too fit in other engines that is why later on the replacement cores are only numbered on the box not on the porcelains
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #64
mot

fred posted on another thread that the early plugs didnt have Made in the USA on the back
here is a photo of one
can anyone supply more information on them?
as i see it there are ones with made in canada ,made in usa,nothing,
and numbers ,with made in usa
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-014S.JPG (19.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-015S.JPG (16.9 KB, 32 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #65
Jim Mason

I believe the very early 3x plugs didn't have the 'made in USA'...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #66
FL&WVMIKE

My accumulation of 3X and "FORD A" plugs awaiting restoration.
MIKE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2829plugs.jpg (49.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 3031plugs.jpg (61.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg fordaplug.jpg (482.6 KB, 94 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #67
dean from bozeman

When I started restoring A495 I was told that I needed Champion 3X with no "Made in U.S.A.". Because I want it restored to a fine point condition I purchased a real nice set just as described. Now it looks as if I will need to find an equally nice set of Champion 3 spark plugs, since A495 was sent to final assembly November 21, 1927.
That's another reason that restorations shouldn't take 7 plus years.

Question: Did the Champion 3 plugs also lack the "Made in U.S.A."?
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #68
FL&WVMIKE

dean from bozeman ...................
I believe that you can rub off the lettering on the Champion Spark Plugs. Don't ask how I know........ I found out, accidently, through over zelous cleaning. You could make your own early 3Xs out of standard 3Xs.
I might have more than one No.3. I'll check tomorrow.
MIKE
Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #69
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
When I started restoring A495 I was told that I needed Champion 3X with no "Made in U.S.A.". Because I want it restored to a fine point condition I purchased a real nice set just as described. Now it looks as if I will need to find an equally nice set of Champion 3 spark plugs, since A495 was sent to final assembly November 21, 1927.

To be honest I don't believe any American supplied Champion plugs lacked the "made in USA" markings during that era but I can't prove it (without MANY additional hours) and one must choose his battles when there is a mind set (also not proven) to the contrary. I believe A1151 has the full markings but only Brad Minners has the original pics that could tell us for sure.

Last edited by Marco Tahtaras; 11-20-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Marco Tahtaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #70
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
To be honest I don't believe any American supplied Champion plugs lacked the "made in USA" markings during that era but I can't prove it (without MANY additional hours) and one must choose his battles when there is a mind set (also not proven) to the contrary. I believe A1151 has the full markings but only Brad Minners has the original pics that could tell us for sure.
Marco, Check the pictures I sent you, You will see one...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #71
jw hash

here is some pictures of some of my goodies that I have been lucky enough to find over the years three different core with original boxes note the later one on the left with the batch number on it, some original 3X boxes note the flat top 3 on the original boxes and 1932 up boxes and the box you can get today, I looked for years for just one original 3X box and I anded up finding four NOS plugs in the Original boxes, also some of my plugs that I have restored, Rich Street and I put together a seminar for the northwest reginal group a few years back and again at the national in Vancouver BC last year, the web site is still up, check out,
http://rstreet.us/sparkplugs/3x/3xs...iles/frame.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (24.1 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (48.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (43.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #72
Fred
BANNED

Quote:

Dean good ?? I can answer part of it.. YES, on the NOS set I have of one style tey have the 3 and underneath it Made in U.S.A. That is on a 30/31 core type plug with the 28/29 type base assy.. I also have a NOS in the original box #3 ( #3 ONLY ON THE BOX ) 28/29 style core & base Assy that does NOT have Made in U.S.A. Send me your E-Mail address & I will send Pictures If you want them... Fred..
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #73
Joop

Hi Fred.

Would be nice if you could post them here for all to enjoy
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #74
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:

dean from bozeman ........................
I DO have more "3" Champion plugs. I have five total. If you decide to go that way, let me know. They are unrestored.
They ALL have the "Made in the USA" on them, as do all my plugs. I have none of the ones, without it.
The sun has washed out the red. They are much better, in person.
MIKE
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg championNo3.jpg (491.1 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 11-22-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #75
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Dean good ?? I can answer part of it.. YES, on the NOS set I have of one style tey have the 3 and underneath it Made in U.S.A. That is on a 30/31 core type plug with the 28/29 type base assy.. I also have a NOS in the original box #3 ( #3 ONLY ON THE BOX ) 28/29 style core & base Assy that does NOT have Made in U.S.A. Send me your E-Mail address & I will send Pictures If you want them... Fred..
Fred, are you saying you have an early style No. 3 with no "Made In USA"? If so, is it in a box marked made in USA? One of the things I was looking at was the fact that Champion Canada initially had to import the cores from the U.S. (high tariffs). How would those cores be marked if destined for Canada? I haven't be able to determine when they began making their own if at all. I don't believe those cores marked "Canada" include the words "Made In".

Another point of interest that I can't answer would be the markings on late Model T production era (not replacement) Champion plugs. If Champion plugs produced in 1926-27 for the U.S. market DO NOT include the words "Made in USA" then I can buy into the idea that early 3X plugs were done similarly.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #76
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
here is some pictures of some of my goodies that I have been lucky enough to find over the years three different core with original boxes note the later one on the left with the batch number on it,

John, Do any of the boxes have date codes on one of the inner flaps?

The pic above is interesting. I had a set of four NOS cores in their boxes. They were in your first box example but were the early type core pictured in the center. Of course that is an issue or when they were made. I was thinking the boxes had a date code for the printing of the box but can't find the couple box examples I thought I'd saved years ago.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #77
jw hash

Marco
Yes they do The light blue is 35 the dark blue 29 the red one is missing one flap and it might of had the number on, my camera doesn`t take very good close ups the red box has for ford model A and AA on it, it could be that they made the replacement cores for the early ones as service items up in the later years, I did have one set of four early ones in the dark blue boxes that were dated 29 that I sold too Tony Stokes about 8 years ago and I will bet he still has them. and I`m not sure on when they started puting batch numbers on the core
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #78
Jim Parker Toronto

Here's a set of 3X Canadian plugs. I never noticed till now, but the 3rd plug from the left has a different base than the others.That's odd........... Anyway, the imprint on the 3X side says "REG in CANADA" and the reverse says "MADE IN CANADA" No, I don't have the boxes still, but I remember buying them in '92 and paid a good price! Enjoy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3840.JPG (209.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3841.JPG (203.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3842.JPG (114.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3843.JPG (109.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3844.JPG (111.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3845.JPG (111.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3846.JPG (110.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3847.JPG (112.7 KB, 66 views)
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #79
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Here's a set of 3X Canadian plugs. I never noticed till now, but the 3rd plug from the left has a different base than the others.That's odd........... Anyway, the imprint on the 3X side says "REG in CANADA" and the reverse says "MADE IN CANADA" No, I don't have the boxes still, but I remember buying them in '92 and paid a good price! Enjoy...
Jim, Nice plugs & RARE.. The 3rd plug is a after market 1930/31 style plug, The others are 1928/29 E 30.. Does it have a flat top # 3 or like the others ??.. Either way you can not take that core & put it into another large base as it won`t fit..
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #80
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Jim, Nice plugs & RARE.. The 3rd plug is a after market 1930/31 style plug, The others are 1928/29 E 30.. Does it have a flat top # 3 or like the others ??.. Either way you can not take that core & put it into another large base as it won`t fit..
The third plug has a round 3 just like the others. Are you sure it won't fit, without a lot of measuring, it looks awful close.... Just how rare are these??
Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote