Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default What's the usual fix? (shocks)

My 30 T.S. had juice brakes when I got it! I'm not converting anything! I Fitted new flex brake lines but I find they interfere with the stock shock arms. I see trouble coming! The car had no schocks when I got it. I'm considering making shock brackets but I have no idea where they they would anchor at the bottom. Also it must be a relatively short shock absorber to work in that space. What do you do?
T.I.A. Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Richard in NC

Default Re: What's the usual fix? (shocks)

I used Ford Pinto shocks. They are cheap and the brackets are homemade. The lower brackets on the front axle wrap around the axle and no hole were drilled in the axle. The upper brackets bolt to existing holes in the frame. I wish I could photo and post pictures. I may try it tonight if this thread is still going.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Barry B./ Ma.

Terry you could go with the airplane type shock kit from Snyders. I have them on the rear of my 30 roadster and they work like a charm.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
LeroyM

What are you using for hydraulic brakes in the front? I'm in the process of converting my coupe over to hydraulic brakes and I'm using 40 Ford brakes with stock Model A shocks. I made a tab and mounted it to the rear bolt on the front shocks which allows the hydraulic hoses to mount behind the shock arms which will not interfere with the shock arm movement up or down.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

The thread is not going anywhere! Please , if you can, post those pics. I haven't been under anything except my truck in years. The E 150 shocks are about 16" long and would never work. Pinto shocks shound good. I think I'll make upper brackets out of angle iron and bolt them to the frame using the existing shock mount holes. Thanks!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in NC View Post
I used Ford Pinto shocks. They are cheap and the brackets are homemade. The lower brackets on the front axle wrap around the axle and no hole were drilled in the axle. The upper brackets bolt to existing holes in the frame. I wish I could photo and post pictures. I may try it tonight if this thread is still going.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Terry, NJ

I think they're 39-48 backing plates and cylinders. This would have been a good fix except every thing is in place. New SS lines, cut, bent flared and fitted. New flex lines! The problem is that when whoever made the hole in the frame, didn't figure for the shock arm. Actually I could fix it with an albow at the point where the lines connect. The elbow would direct the lines downward to clear the shock. BUT! That has it's problems too. The flex lines are held captive with a spring clip at the point where they go through the frame. Where does one find elbows with just the right threads in just the right places and a shoulder with a spring clip slot? Now, If I just had a lathe........ I could make a beaut!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
What are you using for hydraulic brakes in the front? I'm in the process of converting my coupe over to hydraulic brakes and I'm using 40 Ford brakes with stock Model A shocks. I made a tab and mounted it to the rear bolt on the front shocks which allows the hydraulic hoses to mount behind the shock arms which will not interfere with the shock arm movement up or down.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Richard Redmond

Default Re: What's the usual fix? (shocks) - go Uruguayan!

My 29 Roadster came without shock absorbers but had a home-engineered Uruguayan (difficult to spell) hydraulic brake system.

I fitted original front shocks (MG B to the rear) and redid the brake pipes and hoses. There is room for an L - shaped bracket to mount on the front shock/chassis bolt to then support the junction of brake pipe/hose.

Difficult area to quickly photograph. The copper U bend of the pipe looks orange.

Hope that this helps a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2995.jpg (57.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3000.jpg (42.3 KB, 69 views)
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Terry,
Front or Rear?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Terry,
Front or Rear?

Front
Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

How about different l o n g e r hoses?
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I think they're 39-48 backing plates and cylinders. This would have been a good fix except every thing is in place. New SS lines, cut, bent flared and fitted. New flex lines! The problem is that when whoever made the hole in the frame, didn't figure for the shock arm. Actually I could fix it with an albow at the point where the lines connect. The elbow would direct the lines downward to clear the shock. BUT! That has it's problems too. The flex lines are held captive with a spring clip at the point where they go through the frame. Where does one find elbows with just the right threads in just the right places and a shoulder with a spring clip slot? Now, If I just had a lathe........ I could make a beaut!
Terry
40/41 backing plates have 4 adjusting cams while 46/48 have only two at the top of the shoes.

Here is the part number for longer hoses:http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsau...ulicBrakes.htm
Lots of pictures as well.
v8 hoses are too short.
I use a tee with a little angle iron bracket. That's how MT Auto products did it when I bought the lines from them the first time.

right front:

left front:

Last edited by mrtexas; 09-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
29restorod

I just did my front hoses the same way MrTexas did. I had a set of plans I got out of an old Clymer book.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
Richard in NC

Terry, NJ, here are the pictures of my homemade front shock brackets using Ford Pinto shocks. They have been on the car five or six years with no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004 (750x563).jpg (155.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 005 (750x563).jpg (150.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 006 (750x563).jpg (128.4 KB, 66 views)
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
gilitos

Beautiful welds.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

Beautiful Pictures! Very clear and informative! However, As I said. The hole where the flex line goes thru the frame is right between the two rivets, over the spring. I'd have throw out half my lines and start all over.
The dummy who first put Hyd Brakes on the car must have a head banging moment or two when he realised what he had done. Me, I just followed in his footsteps. I was at the A.P. store today looking for a compatable 45 deg. elbow, no luck yet! Thanks for sharing! BTW, By that discription, My backing plates are 46-48, only two adj. cams
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
40/41 backing plates have 4 adjusting cams while 46/48 have only two at the top of the shoes.

Here is the part number for longer hoses:http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsau...ulicBrakes.htm
Lots of pictures as well.
v8 hoses are too short.
I use a tee with a little angle iron bracket. That's how MT Auto products did it when I bought the lines from them the first time.

right front:

left front: