Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #101
Model A Fan

Default Re: My Latest Haul and Collection thus Far

So...I think I am going to have to put a hold on this project, or at least major progress until I am finished with my schooling this quarter. I am about two weeks away from being done and finished with my teaching program. I also have the possibility of a new job, so I will also have more time to work on the A.

I will still be working on this in the meantime, just not as much. I am going to try to compile all of the parts I will need to get the job done properly, so that way when I have the time, it can all fall into place!

Thank you guys very much for the advice and help. I appreciate it.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #102
Model A Fan

OK, UPDATE TIME!

So, school is over and winter break is upon us. I decided to continue tearing down the engine, but the further I got into it, the more likely it seemed that it will need some more work done.

So, what my friend and I did was do a compression check on the OTHER engine I have and it turns out that there is 50-52 lbs of pressure in EACH AND EVERY CYLINDER! It seems pretty fresh! We got it to turn over using some "creative" wiring and a 6 volt golf cart battery.

The only downside to this engine is it looks like someone poured grease on it...and I have to replace the crank pulley and nut on the front. Something weird is on it currently. Anyway, I am pretty excited for this one. It seems to be a good'un!

Given that this one actually turns over and seems to have good compression, what would a good next step be? I'm going to pull this one apart and paint it and then put in new seals and gaskets.

If compression is good, should I bother with the valve springs or any of that stuff? I will tear it down also, but just want to know what I should do or don't actually have to do.

Onward and upward (or at least down the road-ward!)!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #103
1931 flamingo

Ck the babbit, inspect the valves/seats, maybe lap the valves, new gaskets, ck clutch, pilot brg, and gasket it. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #104
bobv

Missing rear main oil return tube?
bobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #105
Fred K-OR

Could the weird thing where the crank pulley should be the remains of a two piece crank pulley? Is so just get it off (somehow) and put on a good one. Make sure the mice have stayed out of the oil pan.

Also check for cracks in the block, head, etc.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #106
dumb person

i thought the first engine you were working on looked ok apart from the distributor
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #107
Model A Fan

I thought so too, but a friend of mine who has more experience with engines was poking around on it and wiggled the pistons in the cylinders and he seemed to think that everything might be a little loose.

How much "play" should the pistons have in them when in the cylinders? If I pop the pistons out, can I just re-ring them and make sure everything is tight? How best would I convey to you (over the internet) how much wiggle room is in them and how much is OK?

What would I need to do to verify that the pistons and rings seal tightly against the cylinders? Should I pop the rods off and check the babbit?

On another note, I saw some "Speedster Shocks" in the Vintage Ford of Sacramento catalog. What is up with them? Are they any good for a full weight Model A? They look like they are lighter duty.

http://vintageford.com/sect_search.c...ck%20Absorbers

Thanks again!

Last edited by Model A Fan; 12-13-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #108
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
I thought so too, but a friend of mine who has more experience with engines was poking around on it and wiggled the pistons in the cylinders and he seemed to think that everything might be a little loose.

How much "play" should the pistons have in them when in the cylinders? If I pop the pistons out, can I just re-ring them and make sure everything is tight? How best would I convey to you (over the internet) how much wiggle room is in them and how much is OK?

What would I need to do to verify that the pistons and rings seal tightly against the cylinders? Should I pop the rods off and check the babbit?

On another note, I saw some "Speedster Shocks" in the Vintage Ford of Sacramento catalog. What is up with them? Are they any good for a full weight Model A? They look like they are lighter duty.

http://vintageford.com/sect_search.c...ategory=Shock%

20Absorbers

Thanks again!
About the shocks. You can get a complete new set of "true" Model A "after market" shocks from a company here in Oregon for about $100 more and have a Model A type shock. Not orginal but still good shocks. PM me and I will get their name and number if you are interested.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #109
Model A Fan

So, almost six months later I have an update of sorts.

I decided that I really wanted to go with the traditional look instead of the chopped top pickup. It took a while to decide, but I liked the original look, and that is what drew me to the Model A. It pains me to sell it, but I would like something stock.

In the time between the last update and now I have rearranged my garage, cleaned it up quite a bit, broken up with the girlfriend overseas, gotten a new one (who is much more supportive of our Model A...habit), acquired quite a few more tools (air compressor, sandblaster, parts washer and a bench grinder). I also got a new shop "helper". His name is Jupiter.

I have also purchased two "new" engines to go with the three I had in my garage already, a new rear axle, head light bar and a few other bits and bobs here and there. I also bought a roadster cowl for a potential speedster in the future. The one pictured here is numbered *4870927*. The other doesn't have a number...any reason why?

I've had a great time getting to know more of the Model A folks in the area. I appreciate you helping a younger Model A fan(atic) get into the hobby. It is nice to meet you.

Now I just need to rewire the compressor to accept the 120v power running through the walls. Otherwise I will have to hire an electrician to rewire the wall . Hope you enjoy the update!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #110
montanafordman

Nice to hear an update from a fellow younger barner in western washington. I live in Tacoma but I fly bank freight in and out of Bellingham once in a while since my company has daily flights there. One of these days I'll post an update on all I have done on my coupe since acquireing it last fall. I'm hoping to have mine back on the road within a month or so.

I'll second the fact that there are a lot of model A guys around that are more than happy to lend a hand. I'm 31 and on somewhat of a limited budget and the local model A club in Tacoma has helped me out in spades, both in lending or selling their parts and tools and advice on how and where to get parts and make repairs. I would have had a much tougher time going at it alone and without their guidance and spent A LOT more money! Its kept me motivated and in the process I've done extensive work to my suspension, steering, braking, rear end etc. I've also had a lot of fun meeting the other guys in the club for breakfast weekly so this hobby has become much more than I imagined.

Good luck on your project and finding the right body to go with your parts! Keep the updates coming!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #111
1931 flamingo

Thanks for the update, nice looking dog.
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #112
Fred K-OR

Hello again. Looks like you are on you way again getting into the hobby and getting a car up and running.

Your "new" engine in your pictures looks much better than one of your original ones. If fact it looks (from the outside) like it could be in reasonable good shape-no oil leaks, limited rust, etc. But it is what is inside that counts.

So good luck with your new stuff (girls, motors, dogs, etc.). Sounds like you are having fun.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #113
bogdonj

thanks for the update.. How did you make out with the other engine and getting it back together? Did you ever figure out the piston play and how much is allowed? Keep the updates coming bud!
1930 Ford Original Rolling Chassis- Restoring
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #114
spdway1

Dogs and Model A's, nothing better!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #115
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Dogs and Model A's, nothing better!
OHHHH Ya there is!.....
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #116
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
OHHHH Ya there is!.....
Says the newlywed.....
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #117
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshady View Post
Says the newlywed.....
lol, I was thinking the same thing!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:06 AM   #118
Charlville

Great thread, subscribed and watching
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #119
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlville View Post
Great thread, subscribed and watching
Look at the date from the last post before yours.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #120
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Has this project been completed yet ? Obviously something more than Model A Fords and dogs have taken over this young man's life. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote