Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
empeg9000

Talking Re: New to me Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZombie View Post
Congrats on the A!! It looks to be in very good shape. My wife is very supportive of my hobby/habit as well. You gotta hang on to the good girls!!
Yes my gal is very supportive but I am sure a lot of that is because it was her grandfathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Neat!! Nice car Stephen you'll have tons of fun. That one is definitely a keeper.

Neat looking old garage it was stored in too!!
Thanks Jeff. Yeah my Fiances father built that garage back in the 80s I beleive. It has a wood working shop and a wood stove upstairs too. It's a pretty neat shop. It needs a new concrete floor though.

I am going to need to try and modify the shifter though. I can't brake and be in first gear at the same time.
empeg9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
Deluxe Delivery Don

Default Re: New to me Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Homestead Fl View Post
So I guess that means you HAVE TO MARRY HER NOW ???? lol. Congrat's with the car and future wife!
Now you have 2 love's , Congratulations!!!!
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #23
glenn in camino

It looks like a 28 sport coupe. looks good, sounds pretty good. Make sure the trans, diff. steering box, etc are full, grease the chassis and front wheel bearings, and your ready for a longer tour. If your going very far take a jug of water and a few tools. I would also suggest that you and your fiance join the national and local Model A club of your choice.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #24
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
I cleaned up my Model A a little bit more and took some more pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them.
http://empeg9000.smugmug.com/Cars/Mo...999630_sR3g8Pj

Out of curiosity can a Sport Coupe be converted to a Cabriolet?
It would be far cheaper to buy two 68's than try to convert an SC to a Cabriolet.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #25
empeg9000

Thumbs up Re: New to me Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
It looks like a 28 sport coupe. looks good, sounds pretty good. Make sure the trans, diff. steering box, etc are full, grease the chassis and front wheel bearings, and your ready for a longer tour. If your going very far take a jug of water and a few tools. I would also suggest that you and your fiance join the national and local Model A club of your choice.
What makes you think it looks like a 28? I thought the only differences where the headlights and I think this one has the 29 headlights. You guys would know more than me though. I do hope to take it on some long weekend trips. I am in the middle of adjusting the brakes now and ordering some tires up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
It would be far cheaper to buy two 68's than try to convert an SC to a Cabriolet.
Good to know. I didn't know if it would be as easy as just putting a real drop top on it.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #26
John LaVoy

I enjoyed your "first' ride in your new Model A! Welcome to the Model A family. I think you will find this a very warm friendly group that will welcome you and give you advice and assistance when you need it. Look into a local chapter where you will find a source for parts, assistance and friendship. Hope to see you along the Model A highway!
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
empeg9000

Thumbs up Re: New to me Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I would also suggest that you and your fiance join the national and local Model A club of your choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
Look into a local chapter where you will find a source for parts, assistance and friendship. Hope to see you along the Model A highway!
Oh yeah I forgot to mention last Tuesday night the local club the Adirondack A's just happened to be having thier local meeting at a guys house that was right down the road from me. So I stopped by to check it out.

Here are all the pics

I haven't joined yet but I probably will.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #28
jason white

that is a gorgeous model a and good luck on the marriage and by hte way I like the chrysler key fob I love mopars and old fords
Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #29
Richard/Ca

I have read a lot about FordBarners complaining that the new tubes they buy are no good. So if the tubes you are now using are still holding air good you may want to keep them or use them again. It up to you.
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #30
Fred K-OR

"I am going to need to try and modify the shifter though. I can't brake and be in first gear at the same time."

You may take a look at moving the seat back to give you more room to shift and brake. I had the same problem with my 29 coupe.

I saw in the Model A Service bulletins, page 55(257) where you could turn the back cushion bracket around and that allows the bottom of the seat to move back. I made new brackets for mine so I could move it even back further. You may want to check this out rather than bend your shifter. I am 6 2" and it allowed me to fit in and still be able to shift and brake. If you would like a copy of this bulletin, PM me and I will send you a copy.

BTW, looks like a great car!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #31
empeg9000

Talking Re: New to me Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason white View Post
that is a gorgeous model a and good luck on the marriage and by hte way I like the chrysler key fob I love mopars and old fords
Thanks Jason! The Chrysler keyfob is now gone. In it's place is an old brass tire pressure gauge on a key fob that was my fathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/Ca View Post
I have read a lot about FordBarners complaining that the new tubes they buy are no good. So if the tubes you are now using are still holding air good you may want to keep them or use them again. It up to you.
Good information Richard thanks. They lose a little air but they do okay overall. It would certainly save me some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
"I am going to need to try and modify the shifter though. I can't brake and be in first gear at the same time."

You may take a look at moving the seat back to give you more room to shift and brake. I had the same problem with my 29 coupe.

I saw in the Model A Service bulletins, page 55(257) where you could turn the back cushion bracket around and that allows the bottom of the seat to move back. I made new brackets for mine so I could move it even back further. You may want to check this out rather than bend your shifter. I am 6 2" and it allowed me to fit in and still be able to shift and brake. If you would like a copy of this bulletin, PM me and I will send you a copy.

Thanks for sending me the info Fred. I read the bulletin and it seems pretty simple. I will give that a shot. Hopefully I can make it more comfortable and make it easier for me to drive. I will be putting it on the road next spring for sure.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
RcT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post

I found the seat back cushion was overstuffed and the spring coils were not tied down. Took the whole seat back apart and narrowed the cushion by 2". Made a world of difference in comfort. I noticed on other coupes that the face of the seat back at the bottom just lined up with the door upholstery welting. If yours sticks out beyond that, check that out.

Nice car. Drive it in good health and safety and watch out for the bug... Number 2 may not be far behind...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #33
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
I cleaned up my Model A a little bit more and took some more pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them.
http://empeg9000.smugmug.com/Cars/Mo...999630_sR3g8Pj

Out of curiosity can a Sport Coupe be converted to a Cabriolet?
No, it can't. Completely different body and cowl. You have a nice looking sport coupe. Thanks for the pictures.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #34
Joop

Just stumbled onto this story.

What happened to the car as it is almost a year ago when you got it.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #35
empeg9000

I still have the Model A. It's in my garage. It's road ready but not on the road. It was my fiances grandfathers who passed away 8 years ago. My father in law needs to take care of the paper work so we can get it on the road and he hasn't done that yet. So I start it once a week or so and pull it outside and let it run little. I drive it around my neighborhood sometimes real quick. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #36
mjm1972

You are a very lucky guy … very nice car and Father N law lol. I am new to the Model A, I am going to add one recommendation, and this came from experience, and if you look around at some of the resent post you will understand.

TAKE out that 4 BLADE FAN ASAP, replace it with a solid 2 blade aluminum or even go with the plastic ones. That is my opinion and everyone has one. Most that will tell you to keep the 4 balde on have not, more then likely had a fan blade fly off. The cost to replace with a new fan is at best 100$ and maybe a beer or two if you are not mechanically inclined and have to ask a buddy to help.

The cost to take a chance with the 4 blade well check the price of a radiator for starters and I have not gone into any possible scenario safety issues. We all like to show off the engine and most of time its running. :/

oh and did you get married yet??

Last edited by mjm1972; 05-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.
mjm1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #37
cradlescyth

Hi
great looking car

Have fun and enjoy!!
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
empeg9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm1972 View Post
You are a very lucky guy … very nice car and Father N law lol. I am new to the Model A, I am going to add one recommendation, and this came from experience, and if you look around at some of the resent post you will understand.

TAKE out that 4 BLADE FAN ASAP, replace it with a solid 2 blade aluminum or even go with the plastic ones. That is my opinion and everyone has one. Most that will tell you to keep the 4 balde on have not, more then likely had a fan blade fly off. The cost to replace with a new fan is at best 100$ and maybe a beer or two if you are not mechanically inclined and have to ask a buddy to help.

The cost to take a chance with the 4 blade well check the price of a radiator for starters and I have not gone into any possible scenario safety issues. We all like to show off the engine and most of time its running. :/

oh and did you get married yet??
Thanks for the advice. I will consider that.

I am actually getting married next Saturday the 12th. Yes I am a very lucky guy.

This is also residing in my garage currently. It is my FIL but I am going to be the caretaker of it for a while. It has 23,000 original miles and never been restored.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #39
supergnat

Smile Re: New to me Model A

I love your car. You are very fortunate to have it. Enjoy many mile of fun in the future.

I response to your commentbelow:
"What makes you think it looks like a 28? I thought the only differences where the headlights and I think this one has the 29 headlights. You guys would know more than me though. I do hope to take it on some long weekend trips. I am in the middle of adjusting the brakes now and ordering some tires up for it."

I have a 28 Leatherback and I have the same type squeeze type hand brake in front of the shifter. I think the 29's all had the push button type which was located in front of the shifter until mid 29 when that location was changed to the right of the shifter. I am not an expert. Also you car sounds the same as mine. I thought the loudness of mine was due to the solid front motor mount which came on the 28's. If it has the original engine there is information available to determing the manufacture date.

Good luck and thanks for sharing the photos and videos.
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #40
charlesea

Sorry. No, cannot convert to a Cabrolet unless you are one great body man.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote