Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
AstroZombie

Default Went to grandmas house, came home with a 28 Special coupe!

Here's a little back story first:

When my wife and I were dating she said "Grandma has an old car in her garage.." Of course my interest was peaked! All the family gatherings grandma and I would be found chatting about old cars, (I just love her stories!) If I couldn't be found in the house, I was in the garage with the Model A. I always told grandma I wanted to take her out for a rootbeer float in her car. Well, it looks like I'll finally get that chance.

She told me last weekend "You can have the Model A whenever you can park it in your garage." That's all the invitation I needed!!

Today my wife and I went to pick up the car. This is the first time it's seen daylight since 1977.
The A was a mail delivery car in Tennessee, and made it's way to CA in the 40's. My wifes grandmother and grandfather purchased the car in 1951. As their family grew the coupe was their only means of transportation. There are fond memories of two adults and 4 children piled in this coupe headed to Yosemite for a camping trip! My father in law said his favorite place to ride was the package tray
The paint was done by the local high school shop class sometime in the 60's. I don't know whose idea it was to paint it purple, but it's kinda growing on me!
Here are some pics of the day, getting her dug out of the garage, off the blocks and out into the sun. The AAA driver said "MAN, it's about time I get a REAL car on the back of my truck!" Grandma was emotional, (As Grandpa passed 5 years ago and the car was a big part of their lives) Enjoy the pics, plans are fix the roof, new interior, mildly hop up the banger and ENJOY! Oh, and of course take Grandma for that root beer float!

Anyone in the CA Central Valley that KNOWS about Stock Model A's want to help me fire this thing?? I want to get it running (Enough to take grandma for a ride) Then tear it down for a full rebuild. I don't want to do this car a disservice by messing something up!

AstroZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: Went to grandmas house, came home with a 28 Special coupe!

Very nice! Good find! Looks like a 32-34 "B style" water pump sitting on the running board, but the engine looks like it's using a model A head and water pump. Does your car have a fuel pump on the lower front passenger side? It may have a later engine in it that may have a counter balanced crank.

Hope that the changes you make to it are mild, and that you have some fun with it!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
AstroZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Very nice! Good find! Looks like a 32-34 "B style" water pump sitting on the running board, but the engine looks like it's using a model A head and water pump. Does your car have a fuel pump on the lower front passenger side? It may have a later engine in it that may have a counter balanced crank.

Hope that the changes you make to it are mild, and that you have some fun with it!
THANKS!

The engine does not have a fuel pump, but it does have a 4 speed transmission (Probably added by the mailman who was the original owner)

I think you're right about a B water pump, also it has later wheels on it too. The model A wheels are still in the barn.

Changes to this one will be VERY mild. I have my hotrod addiction, but I can appreciate this car as it is.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Wick

Im glad you got the car and the history to go with it!!!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
NoSurf

Very cool.
NoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Brubaker

Astro- Congrats on the car. Glad to hear you're honoring it's history and keeping it stock. Great story too. I was going to suggest a friend of mine in Ripon as a source of parts/knowledge, but I see you're down near Hanford.
Good luck with the project! Bruce
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
bogdonj

awesome story!
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Steve Wastler

You lucky F***!!!!!!! Great to see your acquisition... Nice to hear it will stay mostly original. My first recommendation is to drop the oil pan and clean out the sludge before you try to start it. You will be amazed at the crap in the bottom clinging to the oilpump. I think you will find the simplicity of an original A to be addictive. This is a fantastic forum with boundless information from its members.....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
AstroZombie

Thanks everyone, I am still blown away by the whole thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubaker View Post
Astro- Congrats on the car. Glad to hear you're honoring it's history and keeping it stock. Great story too. I was going to suggest a friend of mine in Ripon as a source of parts/knowledge, but I see you're down near Hanford.
Good luck with the project! Bruce
Bruce, thanks I am a little far away from Ripon. I've been doing a bunch of homework on this car, (and saving money!) Don't want to do this wrong.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
AstroZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
You lucky F***!!!!!!! Great to see your acquisition... Nice to hear it will stay mostly original. My first recommendation is to drop the oil pan and clean out the sludge before you try to start it. You will be amazed at the crap in the bottom clinging to the oilpump. I think you will find the simplicity of an original A to be addictive. This is a fantastic forum with boundless information from its members.....
Thanks Steve, that's what I'm looking for! Recommendations like that! The engine seems to be complete, other than a broken bail on the distributer.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
Dave Mc

Pull the spark plugs,shoot some ATFin and let soak awhile then spin the starter with plugs out ,might have some juice in the holes and you'd want to make sure the cylinders are clear before trying to start it
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

put marvel mystery oil in instead of ATF will burn and lubract clyinder walls.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
Special Coupe Frank

Congrats - take plenty of pictures of that roof inside and out before taking it apart... the "Special Coupe" is a bit different from the other coupes.

Also, the roof, belt, and rain-gutter mouldings are all unique to the Special Coupe, and are not reproduced (as far as I know), so try to be careful with any original parts - you may have to re-use them !

Welcome to the Special Coupe "club" !
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Chris Haynes

I'll be driving down 99 on Sunday if ya still need help.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
shooter54

nice! great story and cool car! grandma rules!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

You say the car came from Tennessee...Would be interested to know what the assembly plant information is.

Go to my website and under "Additional Studies" you will see a file called Letters, Numbers and Codes...there it is explained just how to find the assembly plant information plus the gas tank date and the original engine number when you get the body off the frame.

Thanks and great looking car.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #17
Rusty Homestead Fl

That's just plain GREAT!!! The first thing you should purchase is a dozen red roses for "Grandma". Don't waste any time getting it running (but follow everyone's good advise first) so you can take Grandma out for that rootbeer float. Time moves quickly for us older farts if you know what I mean. Congrats!!

Last edited by Rusty Homestead Fl; 03-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
AstroZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
I'll be driving down 99 on Sunday if ya still need help.
Thanks Chris, my wife is pregnant and her due date is tomorrow! So I may or may not be available Sunday. If I am, you're welcome to stop by, have a look, exchange some info and take a bathroom break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
You say the car came from Tennessee...Would be interested to know what the assembly plant information is.

Go to my website and under "Additional Studies" you will see a file called Letters, Numbers and Codes...there it is explained just how to find the assembly plant information plus the gas tank date and the original engine number when you get the body off the frame.

Thanks and great looking car.

Pluck
Will do, I'd like to know as much about the car as I can too! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Homestead Fl View Post
That's just plain GREAT!!! The first thing you should purchase is a dozen red roses for "Grandma". Don't waste any time getting getting it running (but follow everyone's advise good first) so you can take Grandma out for that rootbeer float. Time moves quickly for us older farts if you know what I mean. Congrats!!
I agree totally. She said she isn't getting any younger and she wants a rootbeer float!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
AstroZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Congrats - take plenty of pictures of that roof inside and out before taking it apart... the "Special Coupe" is a bit different from the other coupes.

Also, the roof, belt, and rain-gutter mouldings are all unique to the Special Coupe, and are not reproduced (as far as I know), so try to be careful with any original parts - you may have to re-use them !

Welcome to the Special Coupe "club" !

Frank, thanks for the info. Sadly, the rain gutter mouldings and beltline trim are gone.... When the local shop class painted the car they used putty in the gutter wells and along the beltline. The barn is full of odds and ends, I'll look around for any more parts when I pick up the wheels.

On a side note, Where in PA are you from? I was born in Bloomsburg and grew up in Berwick. Came to CA ten years ago with the Navy and pretty much became a CA boy!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
Special Coupe Frank

Astro - I'm up in the Northern coal fields - Scranton / Wilkes-Barre.

My SC was re-topped at some point - with black sport-coupe fabric, and no mouldings...

The old Flivver's still going though... churned-out over 5,000 miles since I brought it home in January of '10.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
1930artdeco

Congrats on the car. I will be going through something similar this summer as I take dad's baby home with me. Oh yeah, I recommend joining a local club to make things much more fun.

Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
Pilotdave

Excellent story! Looks like there's a lot of life in that Special yet!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #23
1931 flamingo

You've got a special granma there, the roses as previously suggested would be a nice start. Good luck.
Like to see some pictures of your "other' coupe (?).
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #24
A-Jay

Astro, tell me the part again about the two adults and and four children in the coupe, WITH CAMPING CRAP, for a great weekend camping trip. In a car without a rumble seat. WOW! that must have been before "would you like to super size that order" Have fun, buy some dust masks. A-Jay
Old 03-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Jason in TX

Haha. No kidding. 6 people in a two seater must have been quite a sight going down the road!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

A great, great, grandma, even is she isn't a great-great-grandma!

Recommend joining a local Model A club and buy a few books to start.
"The Model A Ford, as Henry Built it"
"Restoration Guidlines and Judging Standards"
"Service Bulletins"
"Owner's Manual"
"Parts Price List" for July 1, 1931 available from most parts houses. One closed to 1928 or 1929 would even be better, if you can find one.
Bert's, Brratton's, and Snyder's parts books
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
james hitchcock

Very cool. Hey your not to far from me, I'm in Visalia. I've got a stock 31 that was a pick up. I sold the cab (I kept the cowl) and am going to make a Huckster. I'm itchin to get working on it again now that the weather is warming up. I'll have to get your address and run by sometime. I know just enough about the Model A to be dangerous.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
Model A Man

I see you have a hot rod in the garage too. You have the best of both worlds. 1 hot rod and 1 stocker. I bought my first A about 10 years ago. It is a 30 roadster and I bought with the intent of building a hot rod but when driving it home I fell in love with it just being stock and have kept it pretty much the way I found it and plan to restore it when I retire (I still have about 15 years to go) I also bought a stock 31 coupe and I still want more. I want to add a 30/31 truck, It is my habit. Congrats and the best to you and your wife, just think the new baby will want to help dad restore the coupe some day. good to see young families doing well and having fun. it makes me smile
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #29
AstroZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Like to see some pictures of your "other' coupe (?).
Paul in CT
Paul, here is some pics of the other coupe. It's a 33 Plymouth body, channeled over a 33/34 Ford frame, Model A front and rear crossmembers, original X-member, (repop) 32 shell that my daughter and I cut 7 5/8" out of just to get the proportions right. 36 Ford dash, heavily modified to fit the body, 300 Buick engine, I could go on for days! It's a labor of love, my whole family loves cars, I couldn't imagine doing this without all of their support. Anyway, here's the pics!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #30
AstroZombie

Tom, thanks so much for the "required reading!" I'll have to look a few of those up for study material.

To this day I can't figure out how they fit so many people in this car for such a long drive! Only from Madera to Yosemite, but in a Model A, thats pretty much a day trip! Grandma did have a 32 sedan body they were going to add to the Model A frame since the family grew but they never got to it, and it was sold off years ago... (dangit!)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #31
1931 flamingo

NICE!!!
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #32
40 Deluxe

That 4 speed tranny is intriguing! I recently read somewhere that a few cars were allegedly factory-fitted with the truck 4 speed. Maybe the mailman ordered it this way or had one dealer-installed. Now the Tennessee mud would not stop him from his appointed rounds! This A no doubt went anywhere there was a house, in any kind of weather! Can't you just hear that coupe climbing a muddy mountain road in 1st gear, bringing a farm family their latest goodies from the Sears catalog?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #33
Tony in Tassie

Great story, I am looking for a Model A Coupe,I'd love to find one like that in Tassie
Tony in Tassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #34
tub1

he tony there is one in a shed not far from you maybe 10 kilometers from you and the old guy that owns it is a real caracter
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
supergnat

Great story. It is good to see that the car will remain in the family and that someone who cares will be maintaining it in the future. Congratulations on the new baby. Maybe if the car is quiet enough you can make the ice cream float trip a multi-generational event. Keep it as original as possible and enjoy it. You may want to start a journal and include some of grandma’s favorite stories. I’m sure your children will enjoy reading them later.
Rich
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #36
Barry B./ Ma.

Nice Astro, I have a 29 Special coupe, one of my rain gutters was missing on mine and I just bought the aluminum one from Snyders and had no problem forming it and putting it on. Do the gutters after you put the top covering on. The top cover kit is available from LeBaron Bonney. As far as the wrap around moulding is concerned mine was missing also and I bought the 6ft. long brass "D" moulding from Universal Tire, nearly identical to the original, I used flat head screws into the belt rail to attach it then covered the screws. Do all this after the vinyl top is in place. Good luck, looks like a solid coupe.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #37
raprice

Looking at the pix, it looks like it'll be a fun project. The car looks sound from here. Congrats and good luck with it.
And by the way, don't forget about that root beer float.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #38
PO51

Astro,
Congrats on thge Model A, Hey I even know where Armona is, My sister and brother in law used to live there until they moved all the way to Hanford! Good luck with the car.
Steve
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #39
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Nice Astro, I have a 29 Special coupe, one of my rain gutters was missing on mine and I just bought the aluminum one from Snyders and had no problem forming it and putting it on. Do the gutters after you put the top covering on. The top cover kit is available from LeBaron Bonney. As far as the wrap around moulding is concerned mine was missing also and I bought the 6ft. long brass "D" moulding from Universal Tire, nearly identical to the original, I used flat head screws into the belt rail to attach it then covered the screws. Do all this after the vinyl top is in place. Good luck, looks like a solid coupe.

Hey Barry,

How did that L-B top-kit go on for you?

Previous owner did mine in black rubberized canvas, a la Sport Coupe... I would like to go with the correct sedan decking, but am a little intimidated by this project...

SC Frank
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #40
AstroZombie

Just a little update, My father in law was over yesterday and said "This is the cleanest I have ever seen this car!" That made me smile, but I have a long way to go! I used some MMO in the cylinders and got the engine to break free. It turns over but VERY slow. I pulled the side plate off and it has minor sludge, will remove and clean the oil pan out once it quits raining here.
My wife's grandpa (moms side) was visiting too and told me of a 32 roadster he had when he was a kid. He said it was impossible to drive because it would spin the tires so much so he sold it for $40..... Many many years ago of course. I think I was born too late... I'd have given him $50 at least
Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #41
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Nice story. By the way, coupes with trunks are scarce. So many trunks have been converted to rumble seats. It may be a temptation to change it, but I hope you leave it like it is.
Neil
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #42
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Hey Barry,

How did that L-B top-kit go on for you?

Previous owner did mine in black rubberized canvas, a la Sport Coupe... I would like to go with the correct sedan decking, but am a little intimidated by this project...

SC Frank
Hi Frank, sorry for the delay, I just noticed your thread. As I remember the top from L-B went pretty well. The new padding goes on first and spend time to get that even. Of course the rain gutters and trim have to be removed first and the rear window removed. The vinyl covering comes in two pieces, just do that part on a hot sunny day and follow the instructions. I did mine 30 years ago and it's held up well.... Barry
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #43
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA View Post
Nice story. By the way, coupes with trunks are scarce. So many trunks have been converted to rumble seats. It may be a temptation to change it, but I hope you leave it like it is.
Neil
Being the owner of a 49 A Special Coupe with botched & incomplete rumble conversion by someone before me, suggest leaving it as-is.

If you do decide to convert to a rumble, take the time to find original hinges and hardware. Repro stuff does not fit as good.

SC Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #44
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Hi Frank, sorry for the delay, I just noticed your thread. As I remember the top from L-B went pretty well. The new padding goes on first and spend time to get that even. Of course the rain gutters and trim have to be removed first and the rear window removed. The vinyl covering comes in two pieces, just do that part on a hot sunny day and follow the instructions. I did mine 30 years ago and it's held up well.... Barry

Barry,

What type padding did you use: cotton batting, or foam ?

Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #45
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Barry,

What type padding did you use: cotton batting, or foam ?

Frank
It came with the L-B kit and was soft cotton.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #46
RcT

I'm in Modesto and own a '29 Special Coupe. Let's talk. BTW, my car was originally a Pennsylvania car. [email protected]
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #47
Bill in SoCal

Default Re: Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZombie View Post
I think you're right about a B water pump, also it has later wheels on it too. The model A wheels are still in the barn.
Keep track of those wheels. You may want good original 21 inch wheels one day. It's a good idea to hold on to as many original parts as you can. Have fun with your 'new' car, Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #48
AstroZombie

Boy it's been awhile since I've been on this site. But the coupe is coming along nicely. Since it came to me I have had two back surgeries, the last one being a spinal fusion only weeks ago. Progress is slow, but It's getting there.... Let me see if I can dig up a current photo or two!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #49
AstroZombie

Here are some of the latest photos. Gosh there was a TON of bondo all over that top.
Before blasting, then while getting etch primed. Skin patches being done by my buddies at Boling Brothers Early Iron in Tulare CA, I will be doing the floor panels and top wood... Hopefully the wood "kit" is of good quality, I am by no means a woodworker!

Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #50
AstroZombie

Default Re: Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA View Post
Neil
Oh yeah, it's staying a trunk car. Grandma wasn't sure, but I guided her decision not to change it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in SoCal View Post
Keep track of those wheels. You may want good original 21 inch wheels one day. It's a good idea to hold on to as many original parts as you can. Have fun with your 'new' car, Bill
Thanks, we are going to go with the original wheels and I'll hang onto the 16's for a RPU project I have been building in my head...

I have a toolbox and rack in my garage with stock Ford parts. Nuts, bolts, etc. Everything gets saved. I'm not much of a stock guy, but I do very much get into the traditional style of hot rodding so many parts have many applications.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #51
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Congrats - and yo have a wonderful "grandma" . Yours will be a Merry Christmas for sure.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #52
c125bob

Great thread, great pictures and a nice car. Keep updating us !
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #53
Bill in Al

Thanks for this thread and your Grandma! Oh boy do I love those Plymouth coupes.Merry Christmas to you and yours!-Bill
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #54
chudm71

Great History and Congrats.
chudm71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #55
Afan

Great to read and see all of this
Afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #56
AstroZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Al View Post
Thanks for this thread and your Grandma! Oh boy do I love those Plymouth coupes.Merry Christmas to you and yours!-Bill
Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it. Bill, sadly I sold the Plymouth... I had a guy offer me a cash deal I couldn't refuse at the time, and almost immediately regretted selling it.

I bought a 30 coupe runner (Barely!) that was restored probably in the early 80's, did the "gow job" early hot rod thing with it, T spring in the rear, reversed the front spring eyes, no fenders, and a HEAVY 5 inch haircut. (These photos, and builds I save for the HAMB since it's more traditional hot rod material) Drove it around for awhile and sold it to a great guy in the UK.

Right now the only early car in my stable is grandmas, which is my number one priority. I feel so bad I can't thrash on it and get it done right away for her due to my many surgeries and messed up back. She's happy to see ANY progress as she says, "It sat in the barn since the 70's, any progress is better than seeing it sit." I have to say I agree with her, my what a fantastic lady.

I will keep you all filled in as I go, I do need to source some parts, like fenders. Her rear ones were in horrible shape, I may be able to work with the fronts, but if I can find a full set in great condition I'd rather go that route. Do any of you guys have experience with the steel fenders Snyders sells? They sure are expensive, but if they're good quality I wouldn't mind getting them for her.

Of course I'll also start a "wanted" thread, but if anyone has a good set in the CA area they'd like to part with, let me know. The straighter, the better!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #57
JBill

Looks to be in great shape! You want advice? Mine is to keep the trunk and not be tempted to go the rumble seat route. Wish somebody had given ME that advice!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote