Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #21
ford1

Default Re: Don't you like to see it before you buy it??

Hell, if hes that parinoid he shouldnt be selling any thing, christ, he could be mugged or car jacked just going to get it washed or fueled,, when you are not allowed to see the merchanise then something is fishey in denmark
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #22
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afordman31 View Post
I looked at the same ebay item, the person doe's have 100% Positive feedback if that means anything.
Enlighten us all and advise the ebay number.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #23
redmodelt

Why not post the link to it. It's not that hard and we will all know which car you are talking about!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
Vanspeed

He said the reason I couldn't come over is because he is too busy.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
He said the reason I couldn't come over is because he is too busy.
That's a lame excuse and I still stand by my first response.

Two weeks ago I won the bid on 4 NOS spark plugs in original boxes, listed as Model A plugs. The seller just lived about 15 miles from me, so I asked to pick them up in person and save the $6 shipping charge. He said no, that he was too busy. It would have taken much less time to hand them to me than to package them and drive them to the P.O. When they came they weren't for a Model A and don't even have the same thread. I guess he knew that and that's why he didn't want me to pick them up in person.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #26
Afordman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Enlighten us all and advise the ebay number.
I didn't post the ebay number as Vanspeed did not post it either. I didn't want to tread on his bid etc.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #27
pooch

Tom, you have a classic case for refunding of your money.

Falsely described.

That will rile him when he gets the money deducted from his paypal account.

Then tell him, if he wants the plugs back, come over and get them.

When he rings, keep saying you are too busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That's a lame excuse and I still stand by my first response.

Two weeks ago I won the bid on 4 NOS spark plugs in original boxes, listed as Model A plugs. The seller just lived about 15 miles from me, so I asked to pick them up in person and save the $6 shipping charge. He said no, that he was too busy. It would have taken much less time to hand them to me than to package them and drive them to the P.O. When they came they weren't for a Model A and don't even have the same thread. I guess he knew that and that's why he didn't want me to pick them up in person.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Tom, you have a classic case for refunding of your money.

Falsely described.

That will rile him when he gets the money deducted from his paypal account.

Then tell him, if he wants the plugs back, come over and get them.

When he rings, keep saying you are too busy.
That's what I feel like doing, but even though the plugs don't fit a Model A, they are worth the $13 I have invested in them and maybe they'll fit some other old engines I have that have 18 MM threads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #29
eswanson

Hey all, I don't blame ya, I purchased some Shocks off of ebay that were described as Original Model A shocks and the guy used the "used" marking that ebay says has cosmetic issues but still functional. That said, I hear the stories of how many are bad so I was expecting to find maybe one that was usable. They show up, one of the three was not for a model A and the other two had very clearly been torn apart already, with pieces missing and one even had pipe dope to seal the threads on someones rebuild attempt. That ends my gambling with people trying to sell broke stuff as if it were still good.

Eric Swanson
1931 Model A Pickup
eswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #30
J Franklin

So Eric did you send them back for a refund?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #31
bobgreco

I found a 1926 Model T pickup on eBay that had 10 or so pictures that made it look excellent. Some were very close up. The truck was beautiful. I drove 2 hours to see it before bidding and could not believe how bad the truck looked. I would guess the pictures were 10 plus years old. I sure am glad i looked first.
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #32
sonny30coupe

If it is on ebay, put a deposit with PayPal and then when you go pick it up if it is "significantly not as described" you can back out of the deal and Paypal will refund your $. You may be missing out on a great deal also.
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #33
eswanson

I got a refund, it took a few replies but the right thing was a refund. I would have never ever sold something like that had it ended up in my hands, after 2 minutes of work I saw that all three were bad. I still get frustrated.

Eric Swanson
1931 Model A Pickup
eswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #34
TechNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I am finding more and more people who are afraid to have somebody come to their house to look at something.Most of them seem to be the people who spend their lives working behind a desk,and getting their whole life experience from a screen.They never deal with people.I don't think I've ever given a second thought about people coming over.I have had people put me off on coming over,later I would find it was they did not want to be alone when I showed up.I guess growing up in a family that carried guns like most carry wallets never gave any of us a victim mindset.
My wife is a cop, I teach shop at a tech school. You would be surprised the stuff she sees and hears that never makes the paper. You shouldn't be surprised at the lengths I have to go to to keep things from growing legs at work.
Noone comes to our house to look at something for sale because we know what a certain portion of the public is like. We deal with people. Those that don't believe it and are not cautious becomes victims and job security for my wife.
On the rare occassion I sell something, it goes to my buddy's repair business and people can view it during business hours.
TechNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #35
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNova View Post
My wife is a cop, I teach shop at a tech school. You would be surprised the stuff she sees and hears that never makes the paper. You shouldn't be surprised at the lengths I have to go to to keep things from growing legs at work.
Noone comes to our house to look at something for sale because we know what a certain portion of the public is like. We deal with people. Those that don't believe it and are not cautious becomes victims and job security for my wife.
On the rare occassion I sell something, it goes to my buddy's repair business and people can view it during business hours.

I know you speak the truth.

Society was not anything like this when I was growing up and it was the same for most of you over 40. My grandmother in 1967 could take a walk at 10 o'clock at night, alone, if she felt like it without a worry.

What we're seeing today is a culmination of 40 years worth of tolerance for liberal and ungodly behavior resulting in a society whose conscience is seared over as though done with a hot iron.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
Keith True

We still have it pretty good where I am.The streets are safe to walk from people,but are a terror from cars.People won't bother you,but you stand a good chance of getting run over at night.We have break-in problems from time to time,they get caught and that ends for a while.I do not own house or garage keys.The keys in my A's have been in them for years.Never get taken out.Same with my car keys.We have had a few odd murders over the years,but none of them were a menace to the general public.I have a few cousins with the PD's in town and the towns around me,(there are about 300 of us in my family,just on my fathers side) they tell me the thieves don't avoid me because my weaponry,but because my place is too unpredictable.Garage tenants come and go all hours of the night,homeless friends and relatives might be in the garage,house,or camper at any given time,and once they drive in the one path to get out here they are bottled up.They can run out through the woods and swim the river,but they will go empty handed.Something has changed with the attitudes of parents of kids that act up.Not so much with the locals,but with the transplants that have moved in over the last 25 years or so.In the late 70's I had a pair of doors I had redone for my 55 Chevy outside of a shop I worked at.A local kid picked them up,I never knew they were missing until his buddies told me(they didn't think much of his thieving ways).I caught up with him out riding around,and just told him to put the doors back.The next weekend they were not back,and I caught up with him again on the hill(local kids drinking spot).I asked about my doors,and he told me to eff off.I opened the side door on my truck,lit up the torch,and cut the door hinges off his fairly new Blazer.His buddies flat out refused to help him,and he wouldn't get near me.I told him he could have his door back when I got mine back.The next day the Chief,also my cousin,called me and asked me to come down for a chat.Turns out I had cut the door off the kids mothers Blazer.She was mad but rational and asked what ever made me do something like that.So I told her.She got real quiet,told me I would get my doors back,and never said another word about her car.Seems like she had not gotten the whole story from her kid.I bet that kid never even thought about stealing again.Just imagine if I did that today.Back then I thought nothing of it.I knew I was in for trouble,but there was a good kind of trouble,and a bad kind of trouble.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #37
pooch

The same here.

I live on south coast 200 kms form Sydney.

Never lock doors. leave keys in cars, most neighbours do.

Advantage to living out of the rat race on a property with one road in and out.

When I was in New York city, I felt safer walking the streets at night than here in Sydney.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #38
ford1

LOL,seems this post has gotten pretty far from the original question, ( would you buy a car you cant look at?) the answer seem pretty easy to me answer YES or NO, but its fun reading some of the storys you guys have to tell
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #39
Vanspeed

Well, I did not bid on the car. It was a 29 roadster body only that appeared to be missing the sub rails, had the usual lower body rot and both doors needed inner and outer bottoms. Panel below the decklid was gone and there was no subrail present between the quarters. The pics were very dark with shadows and that is why I wanted to see it in person. Another bidder asked if the subrails were there and he said he had no idea what sub rails were. Also, he says that he builds hot rods so you would think that he would know what subrails are. It sold for 1700.00, I hope whover purchased it got a fair deal. To me, the buyer got ripped off.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #40
Bruce Adams

I purchased my Cabriolet on ebay, thirty miles away, but I visited the car and took it for a drive and a good look prior to bidding on it.
I would think someone who has seen the car would tend to bid more than someone relying on photos and a description.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote