Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Don't you like to see it before you buy it??

I am currently looking at a car on EBAY that is in the next town over from me, about a 25 minute drive. I asked the guy If I could come by and look at it before I bid and he responded with NO. Why in the hell would I bid on something that the owner won't let me see in person, I just don't get it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
rusty28a

Default Re: Don't you like to see it before you buy it??

He might have a grudge from a previous incident with the general public but...he might also be hiding something. Pictures can sure make things look purdy!
rusty28a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The guy's a crook and doesn't want you to see the junk he is trying to pawn off. Since he said NO, I'm sure you're money ahead and much better off.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
MrTube

I always say, if you don't feel comfortable don't do it.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
fritznbud

When i bought my A, i swapped a rail buggy for it and made the deal over the phone and pics sent e-mail. The car was in Lexington,NC and i'm 4 hours away so after looking the pics over, i said i want it to the previous owner. He insisted i come up to see it before we did the transfer so there were no surprises when we met up. Against my will, i went to see it and was happy i did. I was so psyched up waiting for it's arrival and the ride home gave me the time to daydream about what would be my 1st task on my jewel. Meeting the P.O. and his family was a nice touch to my transaction.
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritznbud View Post
When i bought my A, i swapped a rail buggy for it and made the deal over the phone and pics sent e-mail. The car was in Lexington,NC and i'm 4 hours away so after looking the pics over, i said i want it to the previous owner. He insisted i come up to see it before we did the transfer so there were no surprises when we met up. Against my will, i went to see it and was happy i did. I was so psyched up waiting for it's arrival and the ride home gave me the time to daydream about what would be my 1st task on my jewel. Meeting the P.O. and his family was a nice touch to my transaction.
What's a "RAIL BUGGY"? Is that one of those Fairmont inspection cars? I have the smallest one that Fairmont made, a 5 H.P.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
milo

Smell's fishy to me...........
Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

there are plenty of people that buy without inspecting first and then find out the dirt once it is shipped and dropped at the front door. maybe this guy is hoping for that scenario to hide the mess.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
I am currently looking at a car on EBAY that is in the next town over from me, about a 25 minute drive. I asked the guy If I could come by and look at it before I bid and he responded with NO. Why in the hell would I bid on something that the owner won't let me see in person, I just don't get it.
"Why in hell"....indeed, you have answered your own question! Do the words 'buyer beware' sound familiar?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
james hitchcock

Pictures are very deceiving. My buddy was looking to buy a 28 Phaeton from a guy down south (over 4 hrs away) They had swapped tons of pic's (which I also saw) and the car looked great. My buddy went down with a trailer and cash in hand. The car looked good from 8' to 10' away. Up close she was a bondo car and the drivers door was actually fiberglass. The molded edge on the front fenders disappeared at some places due to bondo. The paint was separated from the bondo at spots causing a hollow bubble. Lots and lots of bad areas that just didn't show on the pic's. She did run great and the gentleman kept wanting us to take a test drive thinking that would change our mind. Needless to say we came home with an empty trailer. Whata gyp we didn't get a car and we drove past Disneyland and didn't get to stop. I guess I'm getting to the moral of the story, pic's can be manipulated to show what the seller wants to show. Best to see first hand.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Run do not walk from that deal. He must be hiding something!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The guy's a crook and doesn't want you to see the junk he is trying to pawn off. Since he said NO, I'm sure you're money ahead and much better off.
Or he may of had an experience like my former business partner when selling his Escalade. That was two murderers in the back seat holding guns to his head during the test drive.

P.S. They bought (took) the car, no money down and no money per month if you get my drift. Left him stranded and scared senseless for his family. They were later caught and covicted.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Or he may of had an experience like my former business partner when selling his Escalade. That was two murderers in the back seat holding guns to his head during the test drive.

P.S. They bought (took) the car, no money down and no money per month if you get my drift. Left him stranded and scared senseless for his family. They were later caught and covicted.

A similar incident occurred in Texas a few years ago only it was the other way around and worse. The car buyer was actually murdered! ... after he was robbed. The so called seller (turned out to be more than one) did not even own the car! He just used the pictures and the talk to lure the victim.

The victim was a young man about 19 or 20 who had worked hard to save up the money.

Made me wish I could have been there with 2 bulldogs and a shotgun!
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
pooch

I once went to inspect a harley on Ebay.

The owner asked a specific time that I would be there and gave me the address to view.

It ended up being down the road at his Uncle's, and he admitted he was paranoid about potential buyers viewing at his real address, suspecting they will come back and steal it.

He was a typical biker, tatts, beard, the lot.

And it was only a modern harley. not an old restored one.

What a wuss.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
ford1

LOL the guy may not be a crook but i bet he sure is a lot more than a little bent, otherwise why wouldnt he let you see the car, i bet he is hoping to sell it to some one a 1000 miles away and then its to far to return, once you have the car and him your money, guess which one got screwed with out even a kiss? and your right a picture can make a real nice car look like a turd, and a turd like a high points car, never go by pictures, see for your self in person, i have sold a lot of older cars and i try to describe them as accurately as i canm when the buyer shows up i bet he isnt blind, he will be able to see all the flaws , so why lie about it, if not as stated hes not going to buy it and you will have one pissed man to deal with
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
28RPU

He must be dishonest. What kind of a person won't let a potential buyer see the item? Better leave this one alone. I bought two vehicles off of the internet sight unseen except for photos.Man, photos make a pile of turds look good. I regretted buying both of them.I won't buy anything else unless I can touch it first.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
Bob-A

pooch,

He might have been a "wuss" but he was a smart one! I would never let a stranger
know where I keep a scooter whether I'm selling it or not. "Out of sight - out of mine" holds very true in the world of highly sought after, legally or illegally, items like a Harley.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
Keith True

I am finding more and more people who are afraid to have somebody come to their house to look at something.Most of them seem to be the people who spend their lives working behind a desk,and getting their whole life experience from a screen.They never deal with people.I don't think I've ever given a second thought about people coming over.I have had people put me off on coming over,later I would find it was they did not want to be alone when I showed up.I guess growing up in a family that carried guns like most carry wallets never gave any of us a victim mindset.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
Roadster62

Please don't take offence but you are a TOTAL STRANGER to this guy.Maybe he was mugged at some time in his life or his wife or daughter had problems. He may have a lifetime collection of things he doesn't want others to see or know about. I'd ask for more photos, or if the vehicle is drivable ask to see it in a public location. Don't stalk him and follow him home.
Quote:
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Afordman31

Quote:
I looked at the same ebay item, the person doe's have 100% Positive feedback if that means anything.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote