Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
iverson

Wink What's a comfortable model a speed?

My uncle loves to go out in the a but when I get up over 40 he all ways says slow down! these things aren't made to go this fast! The speed limit was 35 when they made these cars! I feel 40 is a safe speed anything faster is pushing it at least with the gear ratio we have just curious what speed you guys run
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0820.jpg (55.8 KB, 135 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #2
RonC

Default Re: What's a comfortable model a speed?

Properly maintained As purr at 40-45
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
lindy williams

I second Ron C's opinion.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
Brian in Wheeling

I can, and usually do 45 to 50. it will do more, but begins to sound "busy" after that. Most of the time, I'm below 45. A lot depends upon the condition of your engine and your timing adjustment.
Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson View Post
My uncle loves to go out in the a but when I get up over 40 he all ways says slow down! these things aren't made to go this fast! The speed limit was 35 when they made these cars! I feel 40 is a safe speed anything faster is pushing it at least with the gear ratio we have just curious what speed you guys run

I would say where do you feel save?
When your uncle's with you and he feels safe at 35-40 then thats where i would run as much as it hurts
I usually run around 50 nice comfortable speed to stay out of people 's way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
JDupuis

I average just above the 40 range. Jeff
Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

If I try to stay at 45 I end up over 50----most places I just drive with traffic, but sometimes traffic is slow and I have to pass a few cars
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson View Post
I run mine at 55 as that is where it feels comfortable. A lot of the Model-As that we do are comfortable at that speed. On the other hand, some Model-As are only marginally safe at 40 mph, and are better suited at 35. The question I would ask your uncle is, why did Ford have a speedometer that would register 60 mph if the car was only good for 45 mph when new?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Kevin in NJ

Ahh what speed limit?

Most places did not have any such thing.

The Model A was designed to run 60 MPH. You will find it in the ads and in the service letters.

Properly restored the A is very comfortable at 60 -65, no it does not sound like it is beating itself to death. Yes, it holds the road nice and will stop as well as the thin tires allow.

Today we hear of the 45 MPH limit. That is not true, but a sign of not knowing how to properly restore the car back to factory tolerances. Ford precision made much of the mechanicals and you need to work hard to restore them to factory.

I see a lot of cars that the owners say 45 is the upper limit. Quite frankly, after a quick visual inspection, I can see enough problems to say 45 is likely not a safe speed.
If the car does not have shocks and can be held on the road then you know the springs are shot, or at least not well lubricated. When you see the front brake lever straight up and down you know the brakes have issues. Looking at the engine and a shake of the steering wheel finish out the inspection.

I can tell you after decades of being around A's, 65 MPH is no problem all day long for an A that is fairly stock. A used B cam being the furthest from stock.

If you take the time to read the history of how the car was used through time you will find many stories of running the car fast and hard on very long trips.

The Model A can take a beating and be run hard for a very long time when it is built right. You no not need to baby the car.

That being said. A car that runs 60 no problem is an absolute dream to drive at 45 taking in the sights. A properly rebuilt car just always runs and unlikely to to give you any problems on the road.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
iverson

Tinkirk I like your answer! my uncle has always been a very safe careful driver he never abused any vehicle but to not be a speed bump some times you have to keep up with trafic A higher gear ratio would really help. our a steers and stops very good it feels very safe to me at 45 but it could use another gear!
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
The Model A was designed to run 60 MPH. You will find it in the ads and in the service letters.

Properly restored the A is very comfortable at 60 -65...
Our Town Sedan may be comfortable at 60 -65, me and my wife, not so much. 40-45mph is much closer to our comfort zone.

Probably has something to do with the fact that other drivers around here don't seem to know what a STOP sign is for.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with your uncle, that the engine runs nice at 35 MPH. I drive most of the time 40 to 45, but the engine sounds best at 35. A 3.27 will help bring the engine speed down, which is what I'm interested in. The Model A has a very long stroke engine at over 4" stroke, so I like to keep the engine under 2000 RPM.

My 1999 Olds 88 shows 1750 RPM at 60 MPH, and that's a nice speed. Sure the car has lots of power and can easily go much faster, but 60 is a good speed and gives the best fuel economy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
RawhideKid
BANNED

Up until this week, I have had a 35mph Model A.

Now, you may ask why I have had a 35mph Model A?

Well, I will tell you. Until this week I really didn't feel safe driving faster than that because I didn't feel the brakes could safely stop me at a speed higher than that. Now, this week I have removed all the brake apparatus and have let Randy Gross take a crack at setting me up with new and better working brakes. So, next Monday when I get my stuff back and installed and adjusted, I will let yo know just how fast my car will go and feel safe at stopping at that speed.

In closing, I firmly believe you should not drive faster than you can stop comfortably.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

I'd say the sweet spot is around 40 for me. Higher speeds seem to be a good babbitt pounder on a Model A Ford.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #15
MikeK

88 mph, then I engage the flux capacitor.

Last edited by MikeK; 05-17-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added photo
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #16
SeaSlugs

From here you will gather 40-45 is the perfect speed. Over in AA land its 35 for sure....
Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
88 mph, then I engage the flux capacitor.
THAT'S funny!!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
H. L. Chauvin

Hi ivereson,

Your Uncle probably has a good memory of past experiences while riding in a Model A years ago.

I remember riding in our 1942 DeSoto, to Washington D. C., to Santa Fe New Mexico, going up Pikes Peak, etc., etc., in the late 1940's and early 1950's prior to today's interstates.

Many gravel roads in rural areas and also in small towns .... mostly stop signs in lieu of caution lights in small towns.

Cars jacked up with a flat tire, (out of sight), immediately on the other side of a hill, was a very common sight; as well as slow moving mule drawn and horse drawn wagons; cars parked in middle of the highway's drive lane because the person he was visiting did not have a car; hence, his friend did not have a driveway -- e.g., he just parked on the highway, at night, with "park lights" on.

Next, flats on tube type tires on cars driven were not at all uncommon.

Sixty (60) MPH in a Model A, with an unexpected tire blowout, on a gravel road, was a good speed for a total jackass driver, who at a minimum would need a change of underwear; but, only if he had an I.Q. of over 27.

Past actual experiences, just pat your Uncle on his back.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-17-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
henry's 31

My Model A's like the speed of 40-45 just like many above and we can see everything on the sides of the road.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #20
Barber31

45 feels perfect but I drive mostly at 55mph.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #21
harleynut

I've had my Phaeton doing 60 but was not comfortable with it......only did it because another car was was tailgating me in the fast lane when my exit was on the left. Mine seems comfortable at 40-45
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #22
daveymc29

On the freeways here I usually feel fairly safe at 55 to 60. It will cruise faster but then it sounds awfully busy up front and even with the 600 X 16, there just isn't a whole lot of rubber on the asphalt. The cars don't bother me a lot, but trucks may not notice my little roadster is not some hot rod that can outrun them, so I stay well to the right and do 55 as a general rule. I have found on long trips later in the day my speed begins to climb so I generally find a motel for the night.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #23
TerryH

That's why myself and many others like installing an overdrive. Here in Southern California, driving occasionally on the freeway is very practical and almost necessary, but I sure do not want to drive slowly there. With a Model A well restored mechanically, with good brakes and shocks, tight steering, and good tires, sixty mph is very comfortable and quiet.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 AM   #24
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
That's why myself and many others like installing an overdrive. Here in Southern California, driving occasionally on the freeway is very practical and almost necessary, but I sure do not want to drive slowly there. With a Model A well restored mechanically, with good brakes and shocks, tight steering, and good tires, sixty mph is very comfortable and quiet.
I agree. I am in Southern California also and sometimes it is almost impossible to get from here to there without getting on the freeway. On our monthly tours, we mostly drive around 45mph. But on the freeway, we will go 55 - 60 mph comfortably. When we drove to the MARC nationals a few years ago, we went a good part of the way on the freeway and were mostly 55 - 58 and occasionally 60. Going slower than that (even in the slow lane) in SoCal is more dangerous than going 55 - 60 mph.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 AM   #25
Dodge

Mine will easily run 60mph, but I only do it for short distances when I have to be on the freeway. Most of the time on back roads around here I run 45mph and it's very comfortable
It will run all day at that speed and and makes for easy cruising and being able to take in the country side.
I have an overdrive to put in it so to be able to go longer distances on the freeway.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #26
Patrick L.

Your uncle is right, these monsters were built for the roads of the day. 30-40 mph was about it then. The Model A will go faster than that of course as others will say, and, a sales gimmick was to take perspective customers for a test ride and show them that the car would go 60mph on a good road for a short stretch.

Most speedos I find are off by quite a bit. When mine says 50 its actually [gps] going 57 and thats getting pretty 'busy'. 35-45 is nice and comfortable, so thats actually about 40-50. Plus, our cars vary a lot between each one today.

To me the big concern are the brakes, even when they are in best of condition it takes awhile for these critters to come to a halt. I can lock all tires up at 40, but, these skinny tires keep on sliding.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #27
patnmand

40-45 works fine for me. The car feels very comfortable and settled at that speed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
patnmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #28
Kurt in NJ

In NJ the roads of the day had a speed limit---25 city, 50 country
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #29
Barry B./ Ma.

I would say 40-45 with standard gearing and 50-55 with Mitchell overdrive. In my case I don't drive over 55 in overdrive because the steering gets spooky with the 2 gear box but would improve with an f-100 conversion and radial tires to lower the center of gravity. I'll stick with what I've got but not go over 55 on a good road remembering you don't want to roll over at that speed!
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #30
pgerhardt

I just took a long test drive from Danbury to New Milford in my 29 Tudor with original wheels & tires, rebuilt front end with F1 steering box, and new Stipe shocks all around. I learned a number of things:
1. The posted speed limits in CT seem to be perfectly designed for the model A, but nobody else stays anywhere near them.
2. Anyone who could pull out in front of you WILL!! And when you use the horn to let them know they were idiots, they think the Aooga is cute and just wave & smile.
3. Driving a A requires 100% attention and is hard work. I was very tired afterward (but that might just be my age).
4. These things are geared for pulling stumps! I need to bring the RPMs down by getting a Mitchell transmission, overdrive, or both!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #31
eagle

My 2010 F150 will run nicely at 100 mph. I drive it speed limit or so only. My A will run 55-60 nicely, I drive it 40-50. Good running and stopping and looking around the country speed.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #32
Benson

When an idiot pulls in front of me I usually do not waste the time to blow the horn.

By the time they "get their head out" and "clean the brown stuff off of their contact lenses" ... I am WAY down the road and they will never know who sounded the horn OR even know what they did to cause the situation!

Last edited by Benson; 05-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #33
30ccpickup

I found I go the same speed as all of the modern cars stuck behind me.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #34
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
I just took a long test drive from Danbury to New Milford in my 29 Tudor with original wheels & tires, rebuilt front end with F1 steering box, and new Stipe shocks all around. I learned a number of things:
1. The posted speed limits in CT seem to be perfectly designed for the model A, but nobody else stays anywhere near them.
2. Anyone who could pull out in front of you WILL!! And when you use the horn to let them know they were idiots, they think the Aooga is cute and just wave & smile.
3. Driving a A requires 100% attention and is hard work. I was very tired afterward (but that might just be my age).
4. These things are geared for pulling stumps! I need to bring the RPMs down by getting a Mitchell transmission, overdrive, or both!
I would definately get the Mitchell overdrive rear gear splitter as it also has a syncro making shifting easier with the stock transmission. You will love the overdrive, I have one in the coupe running the stock 3:78 gears for 10 years now, keeps the revs. down and still have plenty of power with a 5.5 head.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #35
H. L. Chauvin

Per reply no. 26,

"a sales gimmick was to take perspective customers for a test ride and show them that the car would go 60 mph on a good road for a short stretch."

this is no doubt a very "true" statement.

For those who really experienced the many old narrow gravel roads left over from the 1920's and 1930's in the majority of the rural areas of our States, there were only (3) tire tracks on a vintage gravel road, i.e., [A] was the one on the right, (passenger side); [B] was the one on the left, (driver's side); and [C], (same as [B] for oncoming cars), was in the center of the gravel road, & was shared by two cars going in opposite directions.

Every time a driver met an oncoming car, he would have to veer to the right; hence crossing two parallel continuous mounds of very loose gravel ....... at 55 or 60 in a Model A would mean losing control and taking an unintended trip in a farmer's pasture or enduring a very high risk for losing control and a head on collision.

Far more windshields were replaced back then as well as side glasses for those who did not slow down when meeting an oncoming car on gravel roads.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-18-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #36
Dick So. Cal.

I don't know exactly what my speed is, but I am comfortable at 1850 RPM. The engine smooths out at that RPM and with a Mitchell OD, I am probably doing in the high 40s speed. I have a Tiny-Tach and it is a nice accessory to have. Engine is stock in the 68B.
Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #37
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Per reply no. 26,

"a sales gimmick was to take perspective customers for a test ride and show them that the car would go 60 mph on a good road for a short stretch."

For those who really experienced the many old narrow gravel roads left over from the 1920's and 1930's in the majority of the rural areas of our States, there were only (3) tire tracks on a vintage gravel road, i.e., [A] was the one on the right, (passenger side); [B] was the one on the left, (driver's side); and [C], (same as [B] for oncoming cars), was in the center of the gravel road, & was shared by two cars going in opposite directions.

Every time a driver met an oncoming car, he would have to veer to the right; hence crossing two parallel continuous mounds of very loose gravel ....... at 55 or 60 in a Model A would mean losing control and taking an unintended trip in a farmer's pasture or enduring a very high risk for losing control and a head on collision.

Far more windshields were replaced back then as well as side glasses for those who did not slow down when meeting an oncoming car on gravel roads.
gravel roads around here today typically only have 2 tracks, usually divides to 3 when going over a lump but most of it is flat as a pancake farm land so you can see the oncoming car 2 miles away....

And yes even in a modern car with wide tires it just kinda floats sideways on the gravel and behaves like jello...
Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #38
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
I found I go the same speed as all of the modern cars stuck behind me.
I see what you did there must be miles of not seeing a soul in front of you :P
Old 05-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
That also applies to modern cars. For the past 4 years I haven't even turned my radio on in my modern car, because there is nothing worth listening to. But an added plus is that I feel even more aware of driving and more aware of other drivers, as none of my attention is taken away by listening to garbage on the radio. There are just too many drivers doing stupid things for me to be distracted by anything.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #40
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Per reply no. 26,

First off, I have talked to many guys who run 60 MPH quite often and for long periods of time. There was a common thread, they all knew about the Ford prints and did their best to restore parts to factory specs. More then one tried all the speed gimmicks and interestingly their main car is fairly stock with a lot of NOS parts. Done right the original car is just bullet proof, get in and drive day in and day out.

Based on my experiences and many others 60 MPH for an extended time is what the can can do and not fall apart.

As for the roads in the day, I do not disagree with what you say. Unfortunately, the many stories about how the cars were actually driven back in the day say otherwise. Of course there were a lot of accidents in the day too. There are many written stories, in period papers, about people taking all kinds of trips and posting all kinds of records. There was even one about a guy driving cross country backwards. Oil companies were pulling events to show off how much you could beat the car up and not wear the engine.

I do not know why so many people keep insisting the car can not do the 60 MPH. It can and it will. Keep in mind that does not mean you have to drive that fast. I just know if your car can not do it then it is not restored fully.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #41
Chuck Sea/Tac

My car with 19" tire and 3:78 rear end ratio is turning 2628 rpm at 60 mph.thats 400 rpm over the optimum rpm listed by ford. Why you want to " over rev " for extended periods , I don't understand. I drive 50 a lot, and 20% of my 32,000 miles on this engine is at 55. It just seems happier at 50 or below. Anyone know what the piston speed is at this high. rpm?
PS. My 6.0 YMCA will go 200,000 to 300,000 miles. Guess what? 90% is 2000 rpm. Plus it's not an un balanced 4 cylinder.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #42
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That also applies to modern cars. For the past 4 years I haven't even turned my radio on in my modern car, because there is nothing worth listening to. But an added plus is that I feel even more aware of driving and more aware of other drivers, as none of my attention is taken away by listening to garbage on the radio. There are just too many drivers doing stupid things for me to be distracted by anything.

Most if not all modern cars have air-conditioning. I'd hate to go back to doing without it but it "cocoons" the driver. Back when we had to roll down the windows, we were more aware of what was going on around us.

And don't even get me started on cell phones!
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #43
Art Newland

I think the question should be " what's a comfortable speed for smashing in to something".
Too many things beyond our control out on the road. A Model A is not going to survive a 60 mph sudden stop very well.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #44
WHN

Ours runs really nice 35 to 45 mph. Why push an 88 year old. Enjoy the ride and smiles.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #45
RawhideKid
BANNED

I think this says it all. How fast can you stop?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog

I know it is from another post, but it tells the tale.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

Lots of good variable Model A opinions and experiences told thus far concerning different comfortable driving speeds.

No doubt many feel comfortable upping Model A speeds on today's wider, modern smooth paved highways.

To try to experience the 1930 Model A rural driving conditions of 65 years ago ..... in my opinion ..... finding non-classified, narrow 1920's/1930's rough gravel roads in most areas today is about as difficult as trying to find women's pink underwear hanging "outside" on a clothes line ......... and especially ..... trying to find women's "small size" pink underwear hanging outside on a clothes line !!!

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-18-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #47
frank55a

I typically drive 55. However my 29 Tudor will purr along very nicely all day long at 65. I typically drive the back roads and try to stay off any road that starts with an I.

In the March/April 1965 MARC NEWS there was an article about a stock 28/29 Tudor that set a new record from LA to Phoenix averaging 62.2 MPH. Took a different way back and averaged 60.1 MPH. Consider what those roads were like in 1930.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965 Mar-April pg 16.jpg (59.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by frank55a; 05-19-2017 at 09:26 AM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #48
Cool Hand Lurker

When you are alone do what you want.
When you have someone else in the Model A do what they want. You have them in there to show them a pleasant experience in a Model A. So do it.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #49
30ccpickup

The only mod on my coupe is a 1931 police "B" head. I do between 60 and 65 with a full load and the feds behind me. With the wife and kids in the car I do 45 to 50, but in Chicago with my buddy Al, I do about 20 to 25, that way it doesn't effect the aim of the guys on the running boards. What it can do and what you should do is two different things... I live on a dirt road and it is unbelievable on how much nicer my A's drive than my moderns.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: Everything is relevant, different times, different geography, different topography, different highway conditions ??

Flat land and straight highways in arid regions with low water tables accompanied with tremendous soil bearing capacity differ tremendously from curved highways in humid areas with higher water tables with much lower bearing capacity creating bumps and pot holes.

I remember driving from Toelle Army Depot west of Salt Salt Lake City to Reno Nevada in about 1988 where we met almost no traffic.

Today I would not hesitate to drive my Model A on this route at 99 mph on 21 inch rims with no tires and a radio blasting the song Casey Jones ..... but how about driving on the back curved hilly roads through Smokey Mountains or Ozark Mountains with lots of rural traffic? Hmmmmm ?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #51
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
but how about driving on the back curved hilly roads through Smokey Mountains or Ozark Mountains with lots of rural traffic? Hmmmmm ?
Not really, people travel by canoe, just don't stop and get out to take a pee. The local boys will have fun with ya and make ya squeal like a pig!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #52
30ccpickup

To some things up ( in my opinion), restored well and common sense... There has been situations when I pushed my A harder than I would of liked, but I was confident it could do it. In the most part, I plan my routes to the ability of the car. Brakes come first!!! it

Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #53
1930marie

Our club tours are based on the cars traveling at 45 mph. My car feels good at 35 mph and anything more I think I can feel the babbitt getting pounded on. So, I miss all the fun touring with our club members and resolved with the "slower" 35 mph speed based on my car's "dicey" stopping capability as well.

Last edited by 1930marie; 05-18-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: edit
1930marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #54
1931 flamingo

Mine has a sweet spot 35-40, on the highway or I/state she likes 50-55, right lane, eyes on the rear view mirrors always.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #55
jm29henry

50 to 55 no problem
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #56
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I run mine at 55 as that is where it feels comfortable. A lot of the Model-As that we do are comfortable at that speed. On the other hand, some Model-As are only marginally safe at 40 mph, and are better suited at 35. The question I would ask your uncle is, why did Ford have a speedometer that would register 60 mph if the car was only good for 45 mph when new?
was the speedometer maybe more a less a stock design for various cars, including cars with more horsepower and higher speed?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #57
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The question I would ask your uncle is, why did Ford have a speedometer that would register 60 mph if the car was only good for 45 mph when new?
You mean any car should be able to go as fast as the highest number on the speedometer
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #58
captndan

There is no right or wrong answer. Every car is different. Every driver is different. Don't listen to someone else in the car. Listen to the car itself. The car will tell you where it's sweet spot is if you listen. Drive that sweet spot.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #59
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
There is no right or wrong answer. Every car is different. Every driver is different. Don't listen to someone else in the car. Listen to the car itself. The car will tell you where it's sweet spot is if you listen. Drive that sweet spot.
Gee, if I listened to my car, I'd have to park it.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #60
H. L. Chauvin

"Comfortable" Model A Speeds Can Definitely Be Drastically Altered by Serious Model A Owners Who Want To Listen to Sound Advice by Experienced Model A Forum Members.

I just removed my five, (50) year old, <hard as a rock>, 19" Goodyear forever wandering "Bias" tires and replaced them with five (5) new Coker 550/19 "Radial" tires.

For a true and honest evaluation, (as also kindly and seriously reported earlier by such gentlemen as Mr. John LaVoy, Mr. Carl G., and so many others):

1. With new "Radial" Tires, my 1930 Town Sedan's Sugar content has quadrupled; and,

2. My "Sweet Spot" has elevated so high that I'm not only looking for highly concentrated Lemon Extract to add to my gasoline and crankcase; but,

3. This Memorial Day Weekend I'm seriously contemplating washing my car with pure vinegar and sour pickle juice to lower this much elevated "Sweet Spot".

4. Even thinking about removing my Bill Stipe shocks because the far softer rides on back roads are so much softer than that told in the famous "My Pillow" TV advertisement.

But on a real serious note, Mr. John LaVoy was correct in saying that after installing new Model A Coker "Radial" tires, one will have an urge to drive one's Model A far more often, if not all of the time.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #61
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
You mean any car should be able to go as fast as the highest number on the speedometer
That's AWESOME! That means my '55 Ford Ranchwagon will go 150 mph

Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #62
H. L. Chauvin

I think Papa Nick could charge a little extra for installing up to 100 MPH decals on Model A speedometers .... after all, if additional speedometer numbers can increase speed, they are less expensive that high compression heads and higher lift cams.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #63
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
And my wife's new Ford Escape has a 160 MPH speedo. Yeah, right

I'd say all that is is a marketing gimmick

However as a Ford Parts Mgr. in the 70's I recall a retired 67 Ford Galaxie cop car came in the shop and IT had a 140 MPH speedo from the factory. With the Police Interceptor 428 I could see that.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #64
Big hammer

All good answers so far...........The real answer is how big are your
I'v been to 65-70 on fresh new asphalt and no traffic, until the noise sitting next to me said slow it down. 50- 55 and no noise from the seat next to me :-)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #65
CarlG

In a group we typically go 50 - 55. Solo I tend to go closer to 60. I do have a warmed up engine, OD tranny, and 550R19 tires.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 05-20-2017 at 12:35 AM.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #66
kenb43

My dad (if he was alive would be 102) was kind of a car guy and said that the rule of thumb for our kind of engines was that cruising speed was 3/4 of top speed. Top speed on my '31 ccpu is about 60mph, so cruising at 45 would be ideal. Having had my truck for nearly 50 yrs, I can say that 40-45 mph is just perfect.
kenb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #67
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
And my wife's new Ford Escape has a 160 MPH speedo. Yeah, right

I'd say all that is is a marketing gimmick

However as a Ford Parts Mgr. in the 70's I recall a retired 67 Ford Galaxie cop car came in the shop and IT had a 140 MPH speedo from the factory. With the Police Interceptor 428 I could see that.
yea my s10 and blazer have 120mph spedometers - governed at 96mph due to tire type...

My old 1980 chevette has an 85 mph speedometer - and yea you can actually bury the needle past that (90? 95?) gets rather buzzy from everywhere and screamin...
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #68
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
What's a comfortable model a speed?
Comfortable to who? Each driver has his/her level of comfort depending on how close the car was restored to original.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #69
Dodge

Ask Steve Nelson. He went 201.78 MPH at Bonneville. Although it was a Model B motor so it might not count.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:19 AM   #70
H. L. Chauvin

Test:

Anybody ever witness a young steel worker casually walking on a 2" wide steel framing channel located at the top of, and on the edge of a (50) story building, during a thunder storm, with lightning and wind gust up to 45 mph.

To obtain a true answer as to "What's a comfortable Model A Speed?", just get in your Model A passenger seat, ask him to drive your Model A, and allow him to demonstrate a safe and proper comfortable Model A Speed ....

Everyone will be eager to learn the true Model A Comfort Zone Speed.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #71
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
That's AWESOME! That means my '55 Ford Ranchwagon will go 150 mph

You're not going anywhere. Out of gas, engine overheating, generator about to go. Does the lighter work?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #72
Cool Hand Lurker

Wink Re: What's a comfortable model a speed?

Quote:
You're not going anywhere. Out of gas, engine overheating, generator about to go. Does the lighter work?
Finally, someone who judges things by more than just the speedometer!

Good catch!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #73
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Haha, good one CaptDan. On the '55 when you shut off the switch the gas gauge goes to M/T and the Temp goes HOT. My "Electrical Outlet" (Lighter) works just fine, Thank You!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #74
BRENT in 10-uh-C

So let me get this straight, ...some here feel like the limiting factor of why we shouldn't be driving over 45 is the ability to stop the car, yet some are saying if you have an overdrive transmission, it is ok to drive over 45 mph.

Next some are suggesting that because the majority of the roads back then were meant for driving slower than the Model-A was capable of, then we should base our speeds today on the speeds they were driven back then. Geez, that seems logical!

In reading most of this, it would appear the underlying synopsis in this is most of the Model-As that are touted as being 'Restored' are really more likely just cars that were 'Repaired & Repainted' instead of truly being restored. From my experiences, those type cars are the ones that feel unsafe over 45mph. Nothing wrong with owning that type of car, but we all need to honest in our assessment of our vehicle and then drive it accordingly. Suggesting someone else's vehicle is unsafe to drive over 45 just because yours is in my view is ludicrous.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #75
Benson

Sorry did not mean to start trouble !!

Last edited by Benson; 05-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #76
springerpete

I'm sure it has already been said: slow enough to both enjoy the scenery and wave at the folks A N D be able to stop for a child, bike or animal.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #77
H. L. Chauvin

How about "What's a comfortable "Modern" car speed?

How about "What's a comfortable speed for "new" cars today ...... on different Interstates ..... on different back roads ....... through wooded areas loaded with deer crossings ...... through rural areas with houses, bars, and driveways on both sides ..... through different cities?

How about what are comfortable speeds in "all" vintage and modern cars for seniors vs. teenagers?

Individual common sense, defensive driving methods, and especially a strong desire for safety and self preservation will always determine what's a comfortable speed ........ no matter what one is driving.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #78
30ccpickup

I can solve the dabate, just let my wife ride with you in the passenger seat. (Just FYI, whatever speed you do it will be wrong.)

Old 05-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #79
DougVieyra

Anyone who drives a car - any car - soon 'learns' to hear the 'conversation' that the car's engine is speaking. Also too, one soon learns to hear the 'conversation' that the car's body is speaking.

After awhile we begin to understand the conversation that both the car's engine and the car's body are saying. The Ford Model A is no exception.

Listening to the Model A engine conversation and UNDERSTANDING it, along with listening to the Model A's Body Conversation, when the two are combined, will give the driver a very good 'sense' of what that particular Model A's 'Comfort Zone' is. That 'Comfort Zone' will differ from car to car, depending on a host of variables. Thus the 'comfortable speed' of a Model A has no definitive number that will fit all cars.

Just drive your Model A and begin to learn the 'language' of the car. The trick is to learn the language before you begin any serious 'conversation'. There is no specific answer on how to do that. It really just takes time and driving experience. When you learn the 'language' of your Model A, you will know if its 'Comfort Zone' is 45 mph, 50 mph, 55 mph, etc.

Of course, if you are old enough to have developed poor hearing, you will be in trouble. Like much of what we older folks have to do - get a someone else who is more skilled and familiar with the 'language' to 'calibrate' your car's 'comfort zone'.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #80
old31

50-55 MPH for me, and that speed is double checked with my iphone GPS.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #81
burner31

I've had it cruising nicely at 67 down country Hyw 18 here in Oklahoma, but mostly I stay 45-50
All stock, no OD
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #82
burner31

Got the gearrs turning on this one, going to check my gear ratio.
Might not be as stock as I think.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #83
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Got the gearrs turning on this one, going to check my gear ratio.
Might not be as stock as I think.
Check your speedometer with a GPS too.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #84
CarlG

Quote:
Check your speedometer with a GPS too.
I was quite surprised with mine on a 400+ mile trip this past weekend. When the speedometer reads 50, the GPS says 57.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #85
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I was quite surprised with mine on a 400+ mile trip this past weekend. When the speedometer reads 50, the GPS says 57.
Not sure, but didn't you change tire sizes awhile back? If so, probably need a different gear ratio feeding the speedo.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #86
Charlville

I'm in the 40/45 camp not only for mechanical reasons! Over here a lot of people think a Model A's 1929 brakes are better than those in a modern car
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote