Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #21
redmodelt

Default Re: Speaking of Auto Part Stores I'll share my experience.

Never mind, I know I don't! LOL
Old 07-01-2020, 11:40 PM   #22
updraught

Rockauto usually have a range of manufacturers. For example drive belt brands for my everyday car:

Dayco
Roadmax
Cadna
Ultrapower
Continental
Gates
Bando
Contitech
Acdelco

I got a Continental timing belt kit and it arrived in about four days. Wrong kit, they paid to ship it back. I gave them the shipping number and they sent the right one in three days. This is half way around the world. I did my homework and I don't think I can go wrong with Continental. As postage is a big deal I can mix and match parts to keep costs down.
However, with steering ball joints I let a local mechanic choose. He knows which brands fail. And fail they do. Having a ball joint let go isn't much fun.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:11 AM   #23
DavidFerguson

My car used to heat up and the coolant system of my car was not working properly, I usually buy the car parts from Parts Pit Stop. But it was expensive. So I got to a website https://www.dealmecoupon.com/parts-pit-stop-promo-codes and got 10 % off.
DavidFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #24
Alaska Mike

Fewer and fewer brick and mortar stores.... Wonder why that is? Must be because of all those guys buying on line.

We own a small brick and mortar store. Swimming pool store. My motto, "You can always beat our price, but you will never beat our service."

That is why I get at my parts at my local auto parts store. The guy behind the counter knows his stuff. Warranty issues are taken care of over the counter, not through the mail. I walk in with the defective part, and walk out with a new one.

He is also the guy I meet in the grocery store. The guy that supports the local sports teams. The guy that donates to the local food drive, the cancer walk, the soup supper for the family that just lost their home in a fire.

So go ahead, call Rock Auto or whoever you have been using, and then ask them to support some local projects. See how far that gets you.....
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #25
garyjohn

Here is my experience. Needed a fuel pump for 89 Toyota p/u. went to Napa it was over 200 for it. Got it on line for just 0ver 100. The exact same pump made by Boish. ( I think that's the way you spell it)
garyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #26
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post

We own a small brick and mortar store. Swimming pool store...
If you're running a swimming pool store in Alaska you'll need all the local support you can get.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=Alaska Mike;1907916]Fewer and fewer brick and mortar stores.... Wonder why that is? Must be because of all those guys buying on line.

We have too many. A couple of them are worthless, counter people do not know much, and just blindly read info off their computer screens. I have gotten info from the locals here not to use a couple of them. Guys getting rebuilt generators, water pumps, , etc bad out of box. Town of 20,000 and 4 chain stores and the local owned store that has been here since I moved here in 1978.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #28
shew01

Default Speaking of Auto Part Stores I'll share my experience.

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1907972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
Fewer and fewer brick and mortar stores.... Wonder why that is? Must be because of all those guys buying on line.

We have too many. A couple of them are worthless, counter people do not know much, and just blindly read info off their computer screens. I have gotten info from the locals here not to use a couple of them. Guys getting rebuilt generators, water pumps, , etc bad out of box. Town of 20,000 and 4 chain stores and the local owned store that has been here since I moved here in 1978.

About a year and a half ago, I tried to buy a rebuilt carburetor for my 1965 Mustang from our local O’Reilly’s. It took me 3 carburetors to find a useable one, and it still isn’t quite right.

Local Model A parts are essentially nonexistent in my area. Online is my only source of Model A parts, but Bratton’s and Snyder’s have been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 07-12-2020 at 08:31 PM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #29
Alaska Mike

I must agree with most comments here when it comes to Model A parts. Catalogs and on line are usually your only option.

But I have a cousin that owns the local Carquest. The business has been in his family for 60 years. Even he will tell me that even the big names in parts have several "grades" of parts. They had to, to stay competitive. So to say you have a Bosh or a Monroe for example, does not guarantee you are getting the same quality for a much lower price. He showed me a Monroe shock absorber a guy brought in, in the box. Same part number as the one he had on the shelf. Did not even look like the same, in any way, once you took them out of the box.

Point being, manufacturers are also playing this game. If you think you are getting the same thing, for a much lower price, you might be, but you probably really aren't.

Oh, and by the way, I go by Alaska Mike because I spent 18 years there, but I live in Iowa now....
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

I firmly believe in supporting the local businesses any time you possibly can like Alaska Mike.

Our local Ford dealer, like most dealerships, sponsors and donates so much time and money to local groups, the Scouts, the schools, food pantry, etc. etc. it only makes sense to support them. Why wouldn't you?

Try going to AutoZone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, WalMart, and on and on and see just what they will do to support your community.

Good luck.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:32 AM   #31
shew01

Default Speaking of Auto Part Stores I'll share my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I firmly believe in supporting the local businesses any time you possibly can like Alaska Mike.

Our local Ford dealer, like most dealerships, sponsors and donates so much time and money to local groups, the Scouts, the schools, food pantry, etc. etc. it only makes sense to support them. Why wouldn't you?

Try going to AutoZone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, WalMart, and on and on and see just what they will do to support your community.

Good luck.

I like to support local businesses when I can.

I’ve have had very mixed dealings at my local Ford (and Honda) dealers. The Honda dealer is a crook, suggesting to replace parts early and suggesting work that does not need to be performed. (The actual price is always more than the quoted price, sometimes three times the quoted price.) I’ve faired somewhat better with the Ford dealer, but the Ford folks have done exactly the same thing. Labor rates are quite expensive at both.

Sadly, a true local, knowledgeable, trustworthy garage is mostly a thing of the past. So, I try to do most of my repairs myself. Parts are seldom manufactured or warehoused locally, regardless of where you purchase them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote