Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2017, 04:13 AM   #21
Beauford

Default Re: Frozen Shackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pereira View Post
I hope the center photo is just an example you need to hold the tool up and adjust the nut back against the tool body .
Yup example...I've tried every angle with the tool and only one side of the spreader will go in. either the shackles need to move or a bend needs to be placed in the cross bar on tool.
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:51 AM   #22
Beauford

Heat is the only option at this point to get the shackles to move...
Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #23
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

The spring eye should not come that close to the axle housing. New shackle pivot maybe?
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

Look, something is wrong! I'm not sure what, but something is wrong. Let say this, The threaded section is the weak link in this chain! The thread diameter, for strength's purposes, is the Root (Small) diam.. In other words, some of the rod's strength is sacrificed when the threads are cut into it. This is the first part to bend/give. The more it is out of the nut, the more potential for it to bend. This bending is instantainious ! You get no warning! I would get another spreader.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #25
Beauford

I have new shackles on order all the way around. Terry, what spreader would you recommend?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #26
Beauford

The spreader is pretty heavy duty. I tried to hammer a bend in tubing and it wont make a dent....As Jackson mentioned the shackle shouldn't be that low. I pryed with a crow bar with 180lbs of my weight and it wont budge...serious rust but that has been the case with this whole project.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #27
PatrickGrant

Beauford, get your torch and welder out. Fix that spreader so you have a tad clearance above your differential and add more strength above the center of your spreader. Glad I didn't buy one, no reason a new one shouldn't work. Bad design, maybe send the piece of crap back.
PatrickGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #28
100IH

Your eyes on the axle housings are toast. The shackles are obviously over with. and the spring assy. is just wrong because of the wrong eye. I would roll out the axle and remove the spring clips so you can turn the leaves to relieve the tension on each leaf, use c clamps at the ends and chain at the center, one leaf at a time. Have a new center bolt on hand to replace with The new center bolt will be much longer and when installed will allow all of the leaves to be turned easily. Eventually, you will get to the point where all of the leaves can come off and only the bottom leaf will remain. I have a hunch that the whole spring pack is too long and is pushing out rather than pulling in as it should. You'll need much longer jack stands to get the whole axle out. Actually, you will need a whole rear axle assy. in much better condition with a correct spring and new shackles. If it gets too scary, STOP and just replace the axle complete. This thing will look like a 10 bladed helicopter but a whole lot less lethal. Sorry, not the answer you wanted, have some experienced friends standing by for moral support.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #29
wrndln

Here are a couple pictures of a rear spring spreader I made from some drawings here on Fordbarn years ago. It has been used a number of times by me and a friend and has worked well. It has never slipped off the spring. The all-thread used in the spreader is 1" in diameter. Using a fair amount of grease on the threads helps tighten and loosen the large nuts. There is a tremendous amount of energy in the rear spring, so a strong and very well made spreader is necessary.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear spring spreader 1.jpg (77.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Rear spring spreader 2.jpg (89.5 KB, 79 views)
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #30
Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Here are a couple pictures of a rear spring spreader I made from some drawings here on Fordbarn years ago. It has been used a number of times by me and a friend and has worked well. It has never slipped off the spring. The all-thread used in the spreader is 1" in diameter. Using a fair amount of grease on the threads helps tighten and loosen the large nuts. There is a tremendous amount of energy in the rear spring, so a strong and very well made spreader is necessary.
Rusty Nelson
Now that would work perfect for the axis problem I am having! The banjo and spring attach points due to the angle caused by shackles just needs that extra drop that this tool would provide.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #31
PatrickGrant

So it's not hitting the diff. housing 100IH? I'm just a farmer type guy with limited vision at best.
PatrickGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #32
Dennis Pereira

Beauford have you tried letting the rear end just hang with axle stands under the frame . Is there pressure on the jack ? that looks like the same tool I have and works perfect .
Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #33
zzlegend

X2 what Dennis said. I have that same spreader and it works great. Don't give up but don't get hurt.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #34
Beauford

ZZlegend good news then!

Dennis, I have a strap I use with engine hoist to raise the frame. Should I just let it hang and add some heat? Maybe one day it will break the rust??? I just want this rusted frame gone so I can prep the solid one. Of course I have a lot of work on both front and rear end as well.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #35
katy

wrndln, do you have measurements you can share for that spreader?
TIA, Ken
Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #36
Dennis Pereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Try evening out the length of the exposed thread stock on each side of the spring expander. Shorten the left side and get the nut on the right side up against the center of the expander.
And get out the logging chain and install as #12 shows before you get near the rear end with a wrench.
X2 center the tool .
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #37
larrys40

It looks to me like the spring is worn/sagged incredibly which is why you'e having difficulty getting the spreader in....it would help if you could pull the rear crossmember up to help let the rear axle weight drop the spring eyes a little to give more clearance. Like Tom Endy said... loosen the spring shackle nuts a little. Sometimes they can be too tight and rusted and prevent the pivot of the spring and shackle. Use penetrant liberally on all parts.

jacking up under the banjo is actually hurting your cause...
Looks like you're in for a full chassis rebuild. Keep us posted!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #38
wrndln

katy,
I have the plans that are similar to the the spreader I made. I took a little poetic license and made some minor changes, as I didn't have all the material like the plans had. I tried to attach the word document to this post, but it said it was too large. If you send me your email address in a PM or email, I can send the plans to you.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Larry that the spring does appear to be sagging.
What is going on with the right shackle in the center picture in #16. It looks like the shackle is part way removed from the axle tube, and the spring looks to be a little cocked.
If your shackles are junk, then I'd torch them off. Just keep all of yourself behind the frame and spring in case something lets loose and jumps in the air.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #40
Beauford

Tom, yes...that would be the shackle with no nuts. Came that way. The left has one nut. Safe huh? I have the new ones coming today.