Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
The Master Cylinder

Default Re: Anyone using the Nu-Rex tool or advance?

Have you tried the search function? These items are not new. They have been around for years. There have been numerous inquiries in the past.
Here's one to get you started. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...7506&showall=1

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #22
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Have you tried the search function? These items are not new. They have been around for years. There have been numerous inquiries in the past.
Here's one to get you started. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...7506&showall=1

Actually I did do a Search before posting the thread and did not have the same results. Excuse me for not finding the already posted data. I will endeavor to widen my Search parameters in the future. Seems I need to resume my reading of the posts past 100 pages.

Thanks for finding what could not.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Have you tried the search fuuujnction? These items are not new. They have been around for years. There have been numerous inquiries in the past.
I agree with you completely. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Because i'm perfect and I can!Why mess with the lever do it right. To many people play with the lever!!! and at 67 I'll do it perfect! Happy Model "A" New Year!
Gary, If you're NOT "playing" with the lever, you're not following instructions! Quoting from the Model A Instruction Book, page 10: "For average driving the spark lever should be carried about half way down the quadrant. Only for high speeds should the spark lever be advanced all the way down the quadrant. When the engine is under a heavy load as in climbing steep hills, driving through heavy sand, etc., the spark lever should be retarded sufficiently to prevent a spark knock."
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Over the last 6-7 years of this version of ford barn's existence pretty much every topic asked is searchable. Usually things like backup cameras, reverse light switches, electric fans, suspension altering, honda stop light switches, roof mucking, leather fuel gauge gaskets etc, etc may need to be asked as the archives may not prove to show much if any information.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-01-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #26
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Why? Even if the timing is set 5 degrees out (and that's a lot), you simply pull the lever a little more or less down as you drive. There is more than enough room to do it.
Don't over think these things!
X2! Since the timing is (or should be) adjusted by the driver why obsess over the initial setting.

Of course if you are going to use an automatic advance (to bring this discussion full circle) the initial setting becomes more important since it is the base line for the automatic adjustments.

Last edited by pgerhardt; 01-01-2017 at 02:52 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #27
1930marie

I bought the NuRex pretty much just to check it out. As fellow "barners" are saying, "it gets one pretty close, however, not exact where it needs to be for the reasons Mitch commented with regards to carb. adjustment. This thread asks about "the" tool. Here's the point, if one has years of maintenance hours logged on his A, I doubt timing is an issue (exceptions for some lol). My NuRex was tried and tossed in my box since by timing light (two alligator clips, two 12 inch strands of wire and a socket and bulb) is faster and dead on for my needs.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #28
1930marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Over the last 6-7 years of this version of ford barn's existence pretty much every topic asked is searchable. Usually things like backup cameras, reverse light switches, electric fans, suspension altering, honda stop light switches, roof mucking, leather fuel gauge gaskets etc, etc may need to be asked as the archives may not prove to show much if any information.
Mitch, I for one appreciate your time, expertise and the giving back to the hobby that you so generously do. I look forward to seeing your "handle" and read every comment learning something new. Admittedly, I'm one of those that have to read the same thing over and over until it finally "sinks" in! I don't mind seeing the same threads over and over again because it helps "pound it in" to my limited capacity (brain) learning ability. lol Can you imagine the trouble our periodicals would be in if they had to depend on new develops each issue? lol Please keep your popularly anticipated posts coming and many blessings to you and the family for 2017.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Mike thank you for the very kind words and encouragement
Have a great 2017.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #30
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
You being from 'Dizzyland' and all, I figured you already had all the dizzy answers and were just trolling.
Sorry, but I don't troll. I ask questions that are relevant to me. If they are not relevant to anyone else so be it. But I don't just post to see my posting numbers raise.

I do use the Search function, and I HAVE read all the posts up to the 100th page so forgive me is I am a bit behind the curve with some of my questions, I haven't got back to 2013 yet, but I'm working on it.

Happy New Year one and all, may your Model A days all be sunny.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #31
zzlegend

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how is everyone's New Year going so far? Hope yours is better than Mariah Carey's trainwreck performance. I think she dropped the ball.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #32
steve s

I've been using the auto-advance for 9 years and it works great, I set my timing with the advance lever down three clicks, so if I'm suddenly pulling a grade and don't want to downshift, I can retard the spark a bit to avoid/stop the spark knock. I've got a little setscrew block on the click plate to prevent over advancing. Basically, my setup allows me to serve as a human vacuum brake on the centrifugal advance.

The only downside is that if you need to pull the distributor for some reason, the shaft falls down into the valve chamber, and you must remove the valve chamber cover to reassemble the mechanism when re-installing the distributor. That's an extra aggravation if you've got an oil filter mounted on the valve cover. If I had it to do over, I think I would get one of the new distributors with the traditional spring-controlled advance built in.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #33
emf

Before I bought my auto advance, I thought of getting one of the new distributors as well. The downside was a modern looking distributor that would tip off observers that there might be aftermarket parts on the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2738a.jpg (121.0 KB, 58 views)
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #34
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post
Before I bought my auto advance, I thought of getting one of the new distributors as well. The downside was a modern looking distributor that would tip off observers that there might be aftermarket parts on the car.
Get an FS Zipper. Original look, electronics inside.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #35
JohnLaVoy

The tool works very well! We have a couple one for the trouble truck on the summer tours and one for the shop. The advance unit we have and did an article on it, works very well it is a copy of one that was done when the Model A was new. We did several tests and their unit is smooth and does an excellent job, we will be installing it on a car in the next few months.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #36
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Works for a starting point. But need to still dial in a little closer. Wishing All "A" Happy Model "A" New Year.
I agree with this and also Happy New Year!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #37
mike657894

I use the tool. I go about 10 degrees advanced of where the tool lines up. or one width of the rotor tab.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Here is one on the wrench;

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45813
Old 01-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #39
Ruth

Just curious, when using this very special wrench does it matter which distributor cam you have? Model A vs B vs Stipe vs ?? Do all cams open the points at the same precise place in relation to the cam notch altho they have various durations?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #40
zzlegend

Good question Ruth. I will let the experts respond. But for me, I just ordered a B cam from a vendor and ordering a Stipe cam today and will give them both a try on a motor that I am freshening up. I have the nurex tool in my tool box that some one gave me, but I still time the old fashion way since I am a geezer. A 6 volt bulb, 2 pieces of wire 12" long, 2 alligator clips, and a half inch wrench for the timing pin. Just my 3 1/2 cents.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote