Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #81
larrys40

Default Re: An odd clutch problem that's new to me!!!

Mitch,
Those 35's are a little more difficult to pull due to the X member than the "A". Not too bad but glad you got that one worked out. My bet on Marshall's is a trans issue with the cluster/trans forks, or even a broken tooth in the trans. It's easily diagnosed with trans drained and inspected... even with engine in...... clutch depressed the input shaft and cluster should rotate freely out of gear. Hopefully fixed soon.
If I didn't have so much going on I'd drive up and see him for a day.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #82
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

My ignorance will show here, but is there a way to power up the tranny while it's on a stand, off the car?
Old 11-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #83
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Larry you got that right.. I separated the tube from the trans, then picked up the trans and removed it out through the door.... on an A i would have left it attached and slid it back as a unit using the fork lift... its fun breaking out the standard iron, straight screw-rodger and hammer now and then... a relief from the new crap..
Thanks

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 11-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #84
Marshall V. Daut

Transmission Update: I removed just the input shaft so far because as you may recall in one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that I thought the nose on the shaft might possibly be too short. So, I dug out a used shaft from my stash and compared the two. Yup! The one from my friend's transmission has a noticeably shorter snout. Check the attached photos. Could this short snout cause the transmission to lock up after the engine has run for a few seconds? But how? As I asked before, does this snout have to bottom out inside the flywheel, or else bad things happen? Obviously this snout will not bottom out. If this short snout is the cause, what is actually happening that causes the banging and then sudden engine lockdown? I see no scrape marks inside the front bearing retainer cone that would indicate that the shaft is moving forward and locking against the retainer housing.
Until I have settled this snout issue, the rest if the transmission will not come apart. I checked the gear action for smoothness, operation, broken teeth and any looseness. Everything seems fine.
Am I on the right track with this input shaft snout issue, or is this just a red herring masking the real cause?
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1376_resized.jpg (72.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1377_resized.jpg (65.6 KB, 70 views)
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #85
SteveB31

How about the flywheel being surfaced too many times and the clutch disk springs hitting the flywheel mounting bolts?
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #86
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
"does this snout have to bottom out inside the flywheel"

I vote no on that one.

The guts of the tranny are begging for an inspection. Given that particular car, all bets are off. Take no prisoners else you'll be in there for a 6th and 7th time. For a guy like you this is a quick job
Old 11-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #87
Brian T

I agree, that shortened nose on that input shaft as been ground done for some reason that I cannot think why?, ( all though I have an idea) go for taking the transmission apart and lay out the parts with pictures so we all can see was misplaced. ----- Im with Dave on this one.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #88
40 Deluxe

Marshall, did you put that new input bearing back in or did you chuck it? If it required a whack to rotate again, it may be mis-machined in some weird way such that the balls jam up after a few rotations.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #89
tbirdtbird
BANNED

or by now brinneled for sure
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #90
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Any bearing that would have not spun freely i sure wouldn't have reused it... to stop a running engine i think youll find something significant... was there metal in the trans fluid??
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #91
J Franklin

All the length on the input shaft is not necessary as long as it fits in the pilot, different makers maybe saved a buck every thousand, especially during the war. I have refit used bearings, but only after careful investigation of their condition. I have had as good of luck as I care and have had bad stuff out of the box and from other countries. If you read the fine print on wartime boxes and those packaged a few years on they are mostly re-boxed from different manufactures, it was a scramble to keep up stocks.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #92
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Any bearing that would have not spun freely i sure wouldn't have reused it... to stop a running engine i think youll find something significant... was there metal in the trans fluid??
I agree with Mitch .... And to address Steve Beckers clutch note, that would cause the clutch would just be stuck and not able to release .. Same if a spring popped out. Wouldn't cause an engine to lock up . (Unless you also had a trans gear/mesh issue as well which is highly unlikely).

This really isn't that difficult an issue but in all due respect Marshall you have really strung it out .... If the engine is out like you said and the trans either in or out, pull it if still in and in 15 minutes or less you can dissect the trans.
It's not the snub on the shaft . It looks fine and you would easily be able to test fit in the engine with clutch installed for issue. Just like lining up a clutch for install. I would be looking more at the trans case and components for anomalies.

Dissect the trans, analyize, reassemble, check clearances, fit, know it's good by standards and you should be set. Hopefully this isn't an open ended online murder mystery theater. LOL!!!

Good luck Marshall... you have to be getting closer!

Larry

Last edited by larrys40; 11-21-2016 at 11:54 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #93
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post

This really isn't that difficult an issue

That might depend if you are the one behind the keyboard giving advice or the one actually working to identify and resolve the problem.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #94
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
That might depend if you are the one behind the keyboard giving advice or the one actually working to identify and resolve the problem.
I could not agree more. Some times it not so easy to find a problem. I got stumped a couple of times on a easy problem. One time I was working on a car that every thing was right. But it would not run. It turned out the gas tank was full of water. How many times would you find that. Another time I had a truck that was running real bad. Turned out it had weak intake valve spring. I found the problems but it took longer than usual, because it was missing on more than one cylinder. The compression was good on all cylinders. So I don,t think we should judge others with out being there to see. It is very easy to get lead down the wrong path
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #95
Tony Hillyard

Interesting how clutch problems pop up and are often faulty parts.

Some years ago I bought a rare FIAT 500 open two seater at auction. It had a terrible transmission judder. I changed the drive shafts, dismantled the transmission, only to find in the end a new clutch had been fitted and the friction disc was ever so slightly off centre!
Tony Hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #96
bbrocksr

Marshall is pretty sharp, I think he might be playing a game.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #97
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Marshall doesn't "play games." He is a very knowledgeable person who isn't afraid to ask for help.

How many of us would do that? Be honest, now.. The length of this thread and his responses speak volumes about his attention to details and his objectivity.

I met him some years ago..
Old 11-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #98
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Marshall doesn't "play games." He is a very knowledgeable person who isn't afraid to ask for help.

How many of us would do that? Be honest, now.. The length of this thread and his responses speak volumes about his attention to details and his objectivity.

I met him some years ago..
I've never met Marshall but I've been reading his posts long enough to know that he is pretty sharp. I would be surprised if he didn't have this figured out.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #99
bnchief

I wonder could a guy fasten the transmission on a stand and turn the input shaft with a drill to see what happens could be play and two gears trying to lock up, do not know just saying but it is rather curious.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #100
Mikeinnj

“The word "frustration" is defined as the unfortunate tendency of lessening one's destiny. Rise up and take all frustrations away! Stop squeezing your dreams into a small size... You were not created to settle for less!”
― Israelmore Ayivor,
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote