Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
montanajohn

Default Mouse repellant

Mice have caused me a lot of damage by chewing seat upholstery, headliners and wiring, especially in the winter, which I guess is now upon us, as we had our first snowfall last night. Other than stinky mouse balls, does anyone recommend a commercial or home brew repellant? Thanks.
montanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
coupe1942

Default Re: Mouse repellant

Dryer sheets is an older remedy. Me, I never cared for moth balls, myself. YouTube probably has a ton of such remedies and even some reviews of some that are most often suggested. Do a search there for "most effective mouse repelant" and your likely to find some. Good luck with it.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Rodent repellents I heard of thus far to counter hungry rodents appears about as functional as someone wearing a Santa Claus suit as a repellent in an enclosed wild, hungry tiger's cage.

Fresh D-Con "always" works .... but many keep it too long until rodents will not touch it.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 AM   #4
Lawrie

What about a brown snake,that would keep them away,the driver also.Lol
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

The only sure thing I know of is to put mothballs in the car. I'd also add traps and glue traps under the car.
My neighbor tried something that is supposed to keep mice at bay, but come spring his car stunk like hell from mice using it as a home.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:23 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

i have a large quantity of antique cars. Besides laundry dryer sheets inside the vehicles, under the hood and in the Tail pipe. I also use the electronic plug in rodent repellent devices. I have never seen a trace of a mouse or chipmunk or any look a likes. Chipmunks are to be feared more than mice. They are cute, friendly little creatures with razor sharp teeth. Wayne.

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 10-13-2016 at 11:19 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:20 AM   #7
Dollar Bill

These work very well for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41Z2Sn3F7oL.jpg (24.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
chl

cab fresh sold at tractor supply is supposed to work really well.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
eagle

I park my A on a plastic tarp, load the inside up with dryer sheets, and put a ring of powdered laundry soap around each tire on the tarp. Mice really hate laundry soap. Tarp helps keeps moisture from coming up from the ground in the spring. I park mine in a pole she'd so no way to keep mice out of the shed.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
gweilbaker

8X10 glossy of MIL.

I've tried most of the poison stuff, they work but I find the dead in where I was trying to protect. The best is the neighbor's cat.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
smittykid

I use the dryer sheets as well. We also use them all over the house when we close it up for the winter. On the floor, in the closets and in the dresser drawers. In the Spring, get rid of the dryer sheets and the smell goes away pretty quick.
In the Model A's as a moth repellant, I use small plastic tubs with holes drilled in the lids. I fill the tubs with cedar chip bedding you can
get at Walmart. So far, no rodent or moth damage.
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #12
SeaSlugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1XNDyxE4c

self resetting haha ive had more luck with the sticky glue traps than spring loaded things. put the peanut butter bucket far away from the model A and load the model A up with dryer sheets. hopefully the car will be a deterrent and attract them to the peanut butter.

ive used dryer sheets stuffed everywhere in my modernish car when I store it for the winter - seems spiders and whatever else hates it too.

Had a mouse problem in our garage for a bit and i had stuffed dryer sheets in the exhaust manifold, carb, and inlet/outlet water necks and they didnt disturb the engine sitting on the stand at all. Found bird seed and everything else everywhere else in the garage though....

but of course installing a snake or a cat will take care of mice too. Ive heard of leaving rubber snakes around will deter mice.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
leo

I'm assuming that these mouse problems are due to having cars stored in places which are not secure (barns, sheds, etc.) and that in itself makes keeping the little bastards at bay very difficult. However, if you have a storage building that can be made rodent proof it requires a dedicated effort but is very attainable. You just have to find all the access points and seal them. Steel wool is great for plugging holes and the mice will not mess with it.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #14
RUNNERBUN

I'm kinda surprised that Bill Williamson hasn't offered to hire out the services of Buster T.
Buster will enjoy the challenge and Bill could save a few dollars on dog food. It's a win win for all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpe images.jpe (11.1 KB, 339 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 10-13-2016 at 07:58 AM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #15
captndan

Cat!
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #16
barnstuf

I had mice problem when my cars were covered. They like darkness! Now I do not cover the cars, the hood is left open so the engine is not in darkness, put steel wool in the tailpipe and put a few boxes of decon around and no more mouse problem even with a phaeton in an old barn.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Fresh D-Con "always" works .... but many keep it too long until rodents will not touch it.
2X on the D-Con. Works well around the house altho I can honestly say I've ever had mice in my car.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
I'm kinda surprised that Bill Williamson hasn't offered to hire out the services of Buster T.
Buster will enjoy the challenge and Bill could save a few dollars on dog food. It's a win win for all.
Buster T's BUSY, sleepin' in Vermin He doesn't even SHED
There's a HUGE grain storage facility in Alexandria, Egypt, that ONLY uses a herd of Rat Terriers for mouse/rat control. They're trained to bring the DEAD ones to a pile, by the trainer---WAAAAY better than using SNAKES
Rat Terriers are 10 times more lethal at killing RATS/MICE, than a CAT! Cats just sleep all day & only work the NIGHT shift & chase Cutie Cats!
Bill W.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
Bruce Adams

Dryer sheets and electronic rodent chasers sold at ACE and Home Depot & Lowe's seem to also work.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
Jim Brierley

My mouse problem is relatively minor but I found they will take Decon pellets and store them, as for future consumption. Now I put a few pellets in a tuna can and a spring trap close by. They may take a few pellets but also try and take the pellet in the trap, BINGO! One pellet in the trap catches several mice. I like spring traps because I know when the little rascals are no-longer a problem.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #21
Bud

Google 'Texas Trap'. It is phenomenal. I catch mice on a regular basis. I also use high frequency screamers plugged into a garage outlet.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
mshmodela

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
1931 flamingo

I put a box or so of mothballs in a plastic bag in the car along with a full box of dryer sheets spread around, under the car I sprinkle a couple of boxes of moth balls. No mice problem. It's a one car garage, concrete floor.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
coupe1942

Hummmm, wonder if this works or not? :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouse catcher.jpg (57.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
cp5491r

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
I had mice problem when my cars were covered. They like darkness! Now I do not cover the cars, the hood is left open so the engine is not in darkness, put steel wool in the tailpipe and put a few boxes of decon around and no more mouse problem even with a phaeton in an old barn.
DeCon has been great for me. 30 years in drafty garage and storage units and no mouse damage!
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
hoof

Another vote for dryer sheets. Go to the dollar store and buy a gross of the cheapest ones you can find. I use them in my camper over the winter, and (crosses fingers) so far haven't had any trouble.
CHAZ
hoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #27
Bigdave

I use Bird-Sonic, by Transonic.
Bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #28
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

I have no dog in this hunt , but I found a good Mouse and Rat Repellent. It is called Fresh Cab, We use it in our Combines, Tractor cabs, Haul Trucks. It says it lasts 30 days but I throw it in and leave it all Winter, No mice!!!! Your Results may very, But it is made by some real nice Folks up in Bismarck North Dakota , For more info,facebook.com/freshcab ! I buy this product At Farm and Fleet and Tractor Supply stores. Hope this helps. It smells great!!
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #29
d.

it is spelled C- A- T. I have had a shop cat for 17 years now, not one mouse problem.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #30
Merc Cruzer

I just brought a Pest A Cator 2000 Plus...we will see how it works

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4s3nhhlz6p_e
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #31
Nabco

I have two Savannah cats (google them) let them out in the garage a couple times a week, that's all I need to keep the mice away....if they do catch one there's not much left to clean up, it's a snack for them.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #32
H. L. Chauvin

Very good information above; and in all honesty, with varying sizes of different rodent populations everywhere in urban & rural areas, lots depends "where" one lives & also what our neighbors have & do not have as far as cats, etc.

Rodent Control professionals claim rodent "food" supply is "directly" related to rodent "reproduction"; and drastically reducing rodent food supply always means fewer rodents; but we have no control over our neighbor's source of rodent food supply & our neighbor's rodent population.

Have no idea, but it appears that declaring war & preventing a second new expensive Model A, LB interior, (or other interior), from being eaten up by rodents and/or moths, (especially, for a "second" time), gets to be far more aggressive & serious business than it was the first time.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-13-2016 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #33
funrunr

I use dryer sheets in and all around every crack and crevice along with inside my camper that is stored in the barn with dirt floor. Under the camper I spread about 3 boxes of moth balls to deter them in the first place. Fly bait and Coca Cola kills anything that drinks it. If another animal eats the dead poisoned one it too will die. Same goes for D'Con or other mouse poison. Be weary if you or your neighbors have animals.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Remember the old sticky fly paper rolls that used to hang in kitchens and porches of the old farm houses? Well, you can still buy them in a package of 5 for $1 at Dollar Tree stores, and I hang them in the garage also. They catch a lot of flying critters that otherwise like to leave specks all over the cars.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #35
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
I have two Savannah cats (google them) let them out in the garage a couple times a week, that's all I need to keep the mice away....if they do catch one there's not much left to clean up, it's a snack for them.
OH MY GOD, they EAT them???
Rat Terriers use the "COLD KILL" method, they just crunch & hold their neck, until DEAD, then just walk away
Buster T's Man
Old 10-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

For a good long term no maintenance trap use a 5 gallon bucket with no lid. Run a stiff wire lengthwise through a pop can so it can spin, and mount this across the center of the top of the bucket. Put some peanut butter on the pop can and a gallon of drain oil in the bucket. Prop a board up to the top edge of the bucket so the mice can climb up and jump to the pop can, then fall into the oil. It will work all winter long and not stink.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #37
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Per the recommendation of an RV dealer, I tried using those sweet smelling clothes dryer softener sheets to ward off rodents. Placed several in places throughout two other stored away vintage sedans. The old Mercedes Benz is very tight and rodents can't seem to find their way inside. Placed a few of those sheets in strategic places within the engine compartment. Mice love to get up into air cleaners to set up house keeping and raise a nice large family of vermin.

Upon checking a few weeks later, to my chagrin, the mice had not only ignored the clothes softener sheets but had actually chewed up some and used the things for nesting materials within several odd places. People gripe about the smell, but it's a trade-off . . . the later scent of tell-tale mothballs or wrecked and ruined car interior with the stench of rat urine. It's a choice!

The only thing that seems to repel rodents such as mice and squirrels are common "MOTHBALLS" . Thing is, mothballs are actually little time-release insecticide gas bombs. We also toss mothballs up into the suspended block ceiling downstairs to impede mice that sometimes find their way into the house. Since using the mothballs, there have been no signs of rodent activity.

MOTHBALLS are also nemesis to wild deer and other destructive four legged garbage scavenging pests. AMMONIA is another cheap to buy animal repellent. Down at Dollar Store, ammonia is a buck for a jug! Deer and other stupid critters think that the ammonia stink is Coyote urine. The powerful smell also for a time overwhelms animal senses.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:02 AM   #38
H. L. Chauvin

Looks like old time D-Con green "pellets", in little 3" square or so trays, have been pulled from shelves at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, & local grocery stores for quite some time now.

Last time ordered D-Con green "pellets", (that work well), was from Amazon.com.

After watching the news lately, looks like nobody cares if the rats eat us alive.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:32 AM   #39
H. L. Chauvin

Wow. Now, $99.00 a box for D-Con "Pellets" at Amazon.com.

We might all have to move next door to Mr. Bill Williamson and his Rat Terrier Buster T.
----------------------------------------------------
PELLETs (12oz.)
by D-Con
4.5 out of 5 stars 171 customer reviews | 19 answered questions
Price: $99.90 Free Shipping for Prime Members
Old 10-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #40
Tom Wesenberg

Has everyone gone nuts? I just checked on ebay for D-con, and they are crazy also.

Did EPA outlaw this product, or why is it suddenly so expensive?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Con-Ready-...QAAOSw8oFXzh9d
Old 10-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #41
springerpete

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it earlier. Attract the rodents to something else, not your car. I use a 5 gal plastic bucket, 2-3" of old antifreeze in the bottom, Coat hanger wire across the top pierced threw a soda can horizontally. Spread p-nut butter liberally on the can. Length of old wood as a ramp to the top of the bucket. Every once in a while freshen up the p nut butter.
I also use moth crystals on the floor around the tires.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #42
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned it earlier. Attract the rodents to something else, not your car. I use a 5 gal plastic bucket, 2-3" of old antifreeze in the bottom, Coat hanger wire across the top pierced threw a soda can horizontally. Spread p-nut butter liberally on the can. Length of old wood as a ramp to the top of the bucket. Every once in a while freshen up the p nut butter.
Yup Tom beat you to it last night but you get second prize. Wayne
Old 10-14-2016, 07:01 AM   #43
Keith True

I found the dryer sheets to be useless too.The mice made nests out of them here.I have no idea why the poison is so high priced,the Lowes,Home depot,and Walmart here all have it.Tractor supply is the cheapest though.I bought a bag of the green balls,I have never used them but will give them a try.They were $12.99.They look like a big bag of green Cheetos.I've always used the green blocks,they have to gnaw on them in place,they can't just lug them off to store somewhere.Although,last year something did carry them all away from one shed,I'm thinking it was squirrels.I really like the electric traps too.Starting about a week ago,they will catch one mouse per night when they start looking to move inside for the winter.I live in the bushes,and have mice and mosquitos in equal amounts.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #44
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Dryer sheets and electronic rodent chasers sold at ACE and Home Depot & Lowe's seem to also work.
I'm not kidding. My dad bought one of the electronic units. I came out one night and a dang mouse was sitting on top of it. Maybe his was defective, but I threw it right in the trash.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #45
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I did in post #11... - posted a youtube link showing the peanut butter bucket and said place it far away from the car and load the car with dryer sheets - attract them to the peanut butter and the dryer sheets may be just enough of a deterrent.

BTW antifreeze is all non toxic anymore(still make you sick but prolly wont kill you). too many pets and kids would drink it usually from a little puddle left on the garage floor.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #46
Steve_Mack_CT

Tried a new product this summer called "Shake Away" as we get them in the garage all year round. I keep the top down on one of our other cars and it was not an issue till this summer - anyway, this stuff seems to work pretty good. Also put some effort into tightening the garage this summer which should help as well. Less concerned with the "A" as it spent decades in a barn and I am sure, had mice come and go - not so much in a roadster for them to destroy vs. when they got to me new L-B interior in our Tudor a few years back!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #47
bambooboy

our weekend radio pest control guy sells do it yourself kits for pests.pretty costly though.for mice his product for mice is the same as store bought (tom cat) not as potent as his but worth a try
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #48
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Wow. Now, $99.00 a box for D-Con "Pellets" at Amazon.com.

We might all have to move next door to Mr. Bill Williamson and his Rat Terrier Buster T.
----------------------------------------------------
PELLETs (12oz.)
by D-Con
4.5 out of 5 stars 171 customer reviews | 19 answered questions
Price: $99.90 Free Shipping for Prime Members
H.L,
I've had 2 Rat Terrier females, before Buster T. & haven't seen a RAT/MOUSE in my yard for YEARS! YES, they're in the neighborhood, I used to see them traveling on top of the fence, often
Most Terriers developed in the U.K, during the Beubonic Plague era, are quite good rodent killers, but Rat Terriers seem to be the BEST. They are SUPER Dogs & have an average life span of 18 YEARS! They seem to have inherited the BEST Genes, from each of their ancestors.
Search "RAT TERRIER HISTORY", you'll be AMAZED ! They were originally called FEISTS. Teddy Roosevelt coined the name, "RAT TERRIERS"
Bill W.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #49
Ed in Maine

What you need is a high volume mouse killing device that does not require resetting and maybe bait it only once a week. Google "efficient trap proves mice are dumb." There are a couple of designs that were made by Canadian Engineer Matthias Wandel. I picked the design that uses a 5 gal bucket, and a device that has a paddle that sits on the top of the bucket and goes out toward the middle of the bucket. This paddle is like walking the plank, the mouse gets towards the end of the paddle where the bait is located and suddenly, a small magnet releases the paddle and drops the mouse into the bucket with water in it of course! Watch the video on how it works and how to build it. It is ruthlessly efficient. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #50
katy

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=3&loadNo=0039
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #51
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
OH MY GOD, they EAT them???
Rat Terriers use the "COLD KILL" method, they just crunch & hold their neck, until DEAD, then just walk away
Buster T's Man
Benji, our long gone terrier was a great mouser, but he too liked to eat them.

Now we use Irish Spring soap around the garage, in the vehicles, and in our flower beds. Problem mice went away and the soap smells really nice.

I think our neighbourhood coyotes also help us out with both the mice and jack rabbits. Urban coyotes also help keep down the feral cat population. Maybe we should encourage coyote breeding?
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #52
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I'm not kidding. My dad bought one of the electronic units. I came out one night and a dang mouse was sitting on top of it. Maybe his was defective, but I threw it right in the trash.
I also have one, and haven't seen any evidence that it does any good.

One guy said leaving a radio playing will keep the mice away, but that isn't so either. 10 years ago a neighbor and I were sitting in the doorway to the garage talking, and a radio was on the floor playing, when a mouse ran right past us into the garage. That's when I started throwing mothballs around the garage and near the doors.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #53
Roger V

I use dryer sheets, Irish Spring bar soap (original scent), deodorizers (twist conical plastic type and 110v refillable type), and Tom Cat (similar to D-Con). So far so good...........
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #54
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
cab fresh sold at tractor supply is supposed to work really well.
I have been using Cab Fresh from Tractor Supply for a few years and it has completely eradicated the pesky rodents who loved the cotton in the rumble seat. Well, they have apparently found another location to winter. I place One bag on the floor of the rumble seat area. That usually last through the spring season.

In fact I just bought 2 boxes of 4 packs and they were on sale for $11.99 per box, about $3.00 less than I've paid before for the same product same store.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #55
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Story deserves a story! I have a building about 14000 square feet for my cars.
We plugged in 6 electronic devices. Five minutes later we witnessed 3 mice run out of the barn through the overhead door. Wayn
Old 10-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #56
coupe1942

My wife has some leather shoes which stink so much that I am betting they would work to keep mice and mankind alike away. I can say that because I can still outrun her though. :-)
Old 10-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #57
lakeside

''BOUNCE'' fabric softner has always worked for me. Put some under the seats as well. Also, leave the hood open and lay some around any wiring. Stick it in the tailpipe too. I used to put 1/2 pt. jars over the exhaust pipes but always forgot about them in the spring when I fired the car up .
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #58
Dutie

HERE YA GO MONTANA, WORKS ALL THE TIME......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1372.jpg (75.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1371.jpg (60.2 KB, 78 views)
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #59
daveymc29

(Google 'Texas Trap'. It is phenomenal. I catch mice on a regular basis. I also use high frequency screamers plugged into a garage outlet.)

I used to go out with one of those, didn't if she was into mice tho"
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #60
3.6rs

Sit next to your car and wait until they come !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mouse shooting.jpg (9.8 KB, 33 views)
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #61
Synchro909

We've been in this house for 16 1/2 years and have never bothered about mice. Just not a problem. Maybe summers are too hot for them to survive and winters not cold enough for them to bother coming inside.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

Take it for what it's worth---I've "heard" that if RATS/MICE eat INSTANT OATMEAL, it creates a terrible thirst & they drink until they BLOW UP!
Bill Boom
Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #63
PatrickGrant

Mice built a nest on top of my dryer sheets, they are country mice with no taste in decor!!
PatrickGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #64
jm29henry

Dryer sheets work great and make your car smell good
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #65
Tom Wesenberg

I've had mice chew on my bar of soap, and I've seen mice turn drier sheets into homes.
Traps, cats, and mothballs is all that works for me.
I've heard some spearmint oil or peppermint oil is supposed to work, but I haven't tried it.
I wonder if garlic would work?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #66
wrndln

I agree with Tom, the mice made a nest out of Bounce scented dryer sheets in my pickup. I think moth balls work fairly well, but I have seen some mice in my shop with moth balls in it.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #67
captndan

I had a bar of Lava soap near a water barrel outside the barn. The mice ate the soap and the cat killed the mice. If your house cat ever wants to go downstairs of to the garage let them!
Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #68
Bigdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
My mouse problem is relatively minor but I found they will take Decon pellets and store them, as for future consumption. Now I put a few pellets in a tuna can and a spring trap close by. They may take a few pellets but also try and take the pellet in the trap, BINGO! One pellet in the trap catches several mice. I like spring traps because I know when the little rascals are no-longer a problem.
I use Bird-X Transonic Electronic pest control.
Bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #69
brickyard67

i have used hedge apples under car AND around building put in attic of house. my Dad said they did this when he was a youngster
brickyard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #70
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've had mice chew on my bar of soap, and I've seen mice turn drier sheets into homes.
I've heard some spearmint oil or peppermint oil is supposed to work, but I haven't tried it.
I tried garlic a few years ago and the mice just ignored it. Good part is I haven't seen a werewolf since. The cat still works.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #71
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

The Almighty Moth Ball! Nothing works against pesky destructive rodents better.

Or . . . a bundle of dynamite sticks!

Tried using garlic, though it kept the werewolves away. the smell reminded me much too much of my mother's side of the family.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #72
wrndln

I have found that using glue boards work well - the approximate 5"x8" size. Just put some along the wall, as mice tend to travel along walls for some reason. They are cheap at about .50 per board in decent size packages. Warning: My wife accidentally touched one of them and it peeled the skin off her finger when she took it off. I think paint thinner could be used to loose the glue, by she panicked. The glue on them is really strong. Even if you think you don't have a mouse problem, the glue boards will confirm whether you do or not. The only drawback I have found with glue boards is you can only catch one mouse at a time with them (except getting your finger stuck on them, like my wife did).
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:15 AM   #73
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I just googled "food mice can't eat". It said chocolate, garlic, onions, acidic fruit like oranges and lemons, peanuts,1 and raw meat are not good for mice. They are either toxic to mice or cause other adverse reactions. So, garlic might work. Another site said fizzy drinks are toxic to mice because they can't get rid of the gasses. There are other foods listed on some sites also; check them out. I have used the bait stations with the solid squares inside in my attic and they have worked well.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 AM   #74
Tom Wesenberg

I wonder how they can list "peanuts", as the peanut butter is the best bait I've found for my traps. I caught at least 20 mice from the two traps outside my garage door, but haven't got anything for the past month.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:01 AM   #75
PatrickGrant

Peanut butter might have killed them in time !! It's hard to tell for sure now, with that wire on there neck !!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #76
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGrant View Post
Peanut butter might have killed them in time !! It's hard to tell for sure now, with that wire on there neck !!
They've all gone to the center of the back yard to help feed the birds and fox.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #77
LOWRIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I tried garlic a few years ago and the mice just ignored it. Good part is I haven't seen a werewolf since. The cat still works.
Oh that's funny! Like others have mentioned mice ate the soap, made nests of the dryer sheets and the electronic repellants had a good beat but you couldn't dance to it. Traps and the neighbors cat was the only thing that had any effect. Moved from Mi. to Az. a few years ago where I haven't seen any mice. Although snakes find their way every so often.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #78
BILL WILLIAMSON

By time this thread is finished, WINTER WILL BE OVER!!---Who needs a calendar????
Bill W.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #79
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
By time this thread is finished, WINTER WILL BE OVER!!---Who needs a calendar????
Bill W.
And i have yet to reply to this thread
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #80
L head fan

I agree with Tom.
My mice love to nest in dryer sheets, and I think they adapt to the smell of moth balls.
This year I decided to try peppermint oil. Bought it on e-b**. So far, seems to be fairly effective. Odor not too bad either.
I drip a small portion onto a cloth rag, and put the rag in a small plastic box (without the lid). Have 4 boxes set up in my chev. One on the engine, one each on the front and rear floor (opposite sides), and one in the trunk.
Come spring, I'll remove the boxes, put the lids on and keep them to recharge for use next fall.
I also have the peanut butter/bucket trap. I use windshield washer fluid (Good to -20F).
I discard carcases if necessary every few days to keep from smelling.
L head fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #81
PatrickGrant

Hope spring doesn't begin a new thread " Moles" !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mole asses.jpg (33.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #82
Tom Wesenberg

Caught another mouse in the trap outside the garage door where I keep 2 of my Model A's. I always put the mouse on top of the snow in the middle of the yard, so it's easy for the birds or fox to find them. Yesterday the mouse was gone within 10 minutes, and there were no animal tracks near it, so a bird must have swooped in and grabbed it.

Seems to be a record year for mice, as I've caught more than twice as many this year over any other year.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #83
redmodelt

When he's not sleeping or asking to be fed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4232.jpg (45.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #84
CarlG

I might try this:

http://www.livinggreenandfrugally.co...ng-mouse-trap/
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #85
Capt Quahog

Clothes dryer sheets don't work! The mice took the stuff, shredded it and used for nesting material. Smelly sweet moth balls do work. They're like little time release gas attack bombs that also impede other vermin such as various insects. Also too, mold dislikes the gas fumes given off by moth balls. We toss moth balls up onto the lowered ceiling blocks. The moth balls roll down into crevices and odd spots where they linger for a long time warding off mice, squirrels and disgusting creepy crawly things.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #86
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have found that using glue boards work well - the approximate 5"x8" size. Just put some along the wall, as mice tend to travel along walls for some reason. They are cheap at about .50 per board in decent size packages. Warning: My wife accidentally touched one of them and it peeled the skin off her finger when she took it off. I think paint thinner could be used to loose the glue, by she panicked. The glue on them is really strong. Even if you think you don't have a mouse problem, the glue boards will confirm whether you do or not. The only drawback I have found with glue boards is you can only catch one mouse at a time with them (except getting your finger stuck on them, like my wife did).
Rusty Nelson
Rusty,
Caught three on one board last week. Yippee!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #87
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Rusty,
Caught three on one board last week. Yippee!
Ted,

I don't like using the glue boards. Sometimes they are still alive and struggling. what do you do when they are still alive?

I caught two in my main garage a couple of months ago using Victor traps. They are the best. It caught one by the hind leg and the mouse dragged it to the other side of the garage. Left lots of blood and my wife was unhappy about that, but it was dead in the morning.

I put traps at the same time in my extra two-car garage where I park the '29 Roadster but haven't caught anything yet.

As reported here, I tried Irish Spring. I bought a 20 pack of Irish Spring at Costco for $20, and brought it into the house with other stuff I bought. As soon as I brought it in she said get that out of the house. I put it in the attached garage but she didn't want it in there either! I put it in the detached garage with the Roadster so maybe that helped keep them out.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #88
Tom Wesenberg

I drill a small hole in the board and wire a weight to the trap, otherwise it sometimes gets carried away and lost. I always set my trap just outside the corners of the garage door, so I catch them before they chew on the rubber seal and get inside.