Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Art Newland

Default Going to look at a rebuilt engine

Might possibly buy an engine tomorrow. I'm told new babbit, new pistons/rings. An assembled short block with head installed. Didn't ask about cam/valves. No oilpan so will be able to take a good look inside. I should be able to see crosshatching in the cylinders, shims in main and rod caps, maybe check crank end play? Any suggestions to make sure im not buying a boat anchor?
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Going to look at a rebuilt engine

You have to know your rebuilder. Talk to people who have engines rebuilt by this person. Don't rush into it plenty of rebuilders available
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

and recipts - ask to see them. new doesnt always mean brand new - could mean new to him.

Should be obvious what got replaced and what got reworked but sounds like you have a good plan already. Definitely take RonC's advice too!

And of course always ask the question of "Why are you selling it?" Weird to think about but also from a buyers perspective seems weird to have an engine rebuilt only to never run it and sell it again probably at a loss...BUT could be a touchy subject like the guys dad got it rebuilt but passed before he could use it sorta thing...
Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Myself, I would not touch it unless the owner let me pull a rod cap and a main cap and look at the babbitt, for whatever that is worth. All this since the pan is off.
I'd like it even better if the head were off.
And yes you should be able to see cross hatching.
Turn the crank to see how much resistance there is.
At least inquire about the cam, lifters, and valves. Side cover is on and can't see
lifters?
Look at cam lobes carefully. Some grinders do not properly re-grind a stock cam and you end up with .011 less lift than you were supposed to have. See Bratton catalogue for better explanation. Cam makes ALL the difference.
Where did pistons come from? There is some real junk out there passing as pistons.
Did the builder take any pix along the way??? Would be nice.
If even one thing ends up not as advertised, walk away
Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
1955cj5

I would say look for cracks in the water jacket. Take a bright flashlight...They seem to show up in the bottom area where the water jacket curves to meet the cylinder walls...
Old 05-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Art Newland

Its been a while, but I've rebuilt and hot-rodded a few small block chevys in my day. I even dis-assembled a Model A engine once upon a time. Telling a good babbit job from a poor one... no clue. From what I've read, proper clearances are just the beginning. Proper align boring etc, etc. Did some more checking and the cam and valves are new. The fellow is big into Model T stuff, owns several. Thought he might like an A and has lost interest. He owns a coupe like mine, it has a repaired water jacket, planed to use the engine in it. He is selling the coupe as well. He bought the engine through an estate sale from the widow of a fellow that was in his car club. The engine was assembled by a guy named Dave Johnson, he had an engine shop in Carbanado Wa., but has moved to eastern WA now. The seller is extremely motivated to sell it, lets just say less than a third of the cost to send my engine out to be rebuilt. It's a couple hour drive, so I will go take a look at it. It should be obvious if it looks new inside. What's that about things that are to good to be true?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
Art Newland

I do see Dave Johnson listed on the parts and services page of MAFCA. FWIW
Old 05-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Suggest or demand a "Money-Back-Guarantee" for at least 30 days.

I bought A Model A block about 55 years ago for $35.00 from what appeared to be an honest individual.

Original pistons, never bored out, good Babbitt, could not "see" any cracks, so I installed it.

Drove 5 miles and back. Oil looked like Café-Au-Lait.

Tried Block Seal several times and it still leaked water from about an 8" long former invisible crack in the upper part of the valve chamber .... leaking Block Seal later made the crack visible.

Guy accused me of cracking the block.

Still have it ..... might try a stitch repair one day.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
Towd56

My advice is to be careful. I bought a "rebuilt" engine after doing all the checking you mentioned. Long story short and 1500 dollars later - I got the "rebuilt" engine I was looking for. It's tough to measure bore taper, and other critical tolerances without disassembly.
Towd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #10
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Read Snyders catalog about their rebuilt engines. Warranties are nice..
Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #11
aonemarine

sometimes it is worth the gamble..... Its all ways a gamble. You will know once you see the cards if you want to make the bet.
I think I would roll the dice by what you are telling me
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:01 AM   #12
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
sometimes it is worth the gamble..... Its all ways a gamble. You will know once you see the cards if you want to make the bet.
I think I would roll the dice by what you are telling me
Ultimately I will have to trust the guy or not, if it turns out good, it will be a sweet deal! Cross your fingers for me!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

When a person will not guarantee a re-built product that he personally re-built and is trying to sell ......... in my opinion, he no doubt has a questionable salesmanship agenda.

There are probably far more well re-built Model A engines with warranties looking for concerned buyers than there are concerned buyers looking for well re-built engines with warranties.

Even after 2,793 or so controversial and different responses to one (1) Model A question, everybody rolls their mental, cerebral dice and does what one wants to do anyway.

Look at the engine, say nothing commendable, look at the seller eye to eye, and do as "you" wish ........ I think you were wise enough to ask and you will have the wisdom to make an analysis of the seller and come up with a correct decision.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #14
aonemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Ultimately I will have to trust the guy or not, if it turns out good, it will be a sweet deal! Cross your fingers for me!
Ultimately it is not the seller you are trusting, but your own instincts, knowledge and understanding....If you have any doubt step back and re think things. If you miss a deal or this deal keep in mind there will be others.
someone looking to make a quick buck would not invest alot into the valve train.....
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
eagle

I don't imagine this is really going to be a life or death decision, nor is it your last hard-earned dollar. ANY engine can destruct at ANY time. They are a finely tuned piece of machinery. Look it over, talk to the guy, make the deal and then deal with the consequences. No seller in their right mind is going to guarantee an engine, no matter how confident they are in its condition, unless he has no intention of standing behind his guarantee. A reputable engine BUILDER will, but that is a different story than an owner of an "extra" engine, wanting to sell. As you state, he's asking a third of the price of a new rebuild, if everything looks good, go for it. I have sold a lot of things with engines, and I always tell the buyer up front, "it comes with a taillight guarantee, when I can no longer see the tailights, the guarantee is over". I have seen too many things wrecked by improper use. If everything is as you state, it sounds like a great deal!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Demand and get at least a 30 day guarantee or walk from the deal! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #17
CWPASADENA

I once bought a rebuilt short block left over from a project that got started but stalled and was parted out. No warranty, I paid my money and took my chances. It turned out to be a great engine.

The only problem I had is that it started to leak out the rear main but later discovered it was the Mitchell Transmission that was leaking and not the engine. I installed the Mitchell seal in the clutch housing and now no more "rear main leak".

You know the builder was in the business and has done other engines. If it looks good inside, I would take a chance.

My thoughts

Chris Wickersham
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
Art Newland

You're correct eagle, I can't imagine a builder going to all the trouble without making darn sure the block was a solid candidate for rebuild. Am I an expert? No, but have some experience. If it will turn over ( I know it will be stiff ) and looks to have been truly rebuilt, then it's coming home with me. My old engine is still doing OK, obviously getting tired, but not burning oil and making any really bad noises, so there is no rush. I'll probably pull the head and get a good look at everything. I might even get a higher compression head for it, if all is well sounds like it would be a good candidate for one. I'll report back with some pictures tonight!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #19
Dave in MN

Art,
This past Monday, I installed a replacement engine in a '29 pickup that had a fresh "professionally rebuilt" engine in it when it was dropped at my shop. He brought it to me because he had water in his oil and thought it might be a faulty head gasket. No such luck! The block was cracked at one of the valve guide holes and leaked coolant directly into the valve chamber.

Obviously the builder did not pressure check the block as part of his processes.
JMO: Don't assume it was checked for cracks before rebuilding as this is the third engine I have seen with this problem over the last three years. Yup...three.

I was able to use most of his fresh components in the replacement block but it still cost him a bunch to fix the problem.

I wish you good fortune in your purchase.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #20
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
You're correct eagle, I can't imagine a builder going to all the trouble without making darn sure the block was a solid candidate for rebuild. Am I an expert? No, but have some experience. If it will turn over ( I know it will be stiff ) and looks to have been truly rebuilt, then it's coming home with me. My old engine is still doing OK, obviously getting tired, but not burning oil and making any really bad noises, so there is no rush. I'll probably pull the head and get a good look at everything. I might even get a higher compression head for it, if all is well sounds like it would be a good candidate for one. I'll report back with some pictures tonight!
Sounds like a plan, would be great if you could gather up all the components to run it on a stand first to make sure theres no problems. When the day comes your current engine decides its done you have one ready to go to slip in.