Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #61
dlfrisch

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

First of all.....I love my 1930 "A" coupe. Perfect every day driver. We (my wife and I) are in the process of moving and we both thought, it would be OK to sell the "A". We will buy another Model A later and like the past good times, we would have fun and rebuild another one. We have a few other vehicles to move (transport) plus two Harley Davidson touring bikes and by selling the "A", it would be a little less to worry about. Our Model A is totally restored - bottom up - down - inside and out. We have nearly $ 25K dollars invested. It has been advertised in or on Ebay - Hemmings Magazine - Craigslist and in the Restorer Magazine. I dropped the asking price to $18K dollars OMO.......a few weeks ago, someone offered $15K - (NG). Talk about a poor market(s) ! On top of the antique auto market, we have had three real estate offers and all three of these offers have been declined by mortgage lenders.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

There will always be a certain amount of demand for OLD CARS, it's just that MANY folks are just BLOWIN' SMOKE & have "BIG" ideas & NO MONEY!!!! Like the guy that came to look at Greggs' $20,000.00 tool set up that I have for sale & had to push start his old car when he left!
Bill W.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #63
colin1928

Around these parts if you put $10000.00 worth of parts and labour into a vintage car you might increase its value by 1/2 that much if your lucky
Now if you want to make money buy a new car take it apart and sell all the parts should about double your money
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #64
Tinbasher

It's the thirty year syndrome. The cars everyone wanted when they where 20 are in demand when they are 50. Model A's where big 30 years ago. The next thing coming will be the 80's cars!! Buick T types, Buick Grand Nationals, Ford SHO Taurus' etc. Everyone has a different "dream" some are nightmares.

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #65
Terry, NJ

I agree with you to a point. However, how do you explain the sustained and increased value of brass era cars? If this were 100% the case, we should be able to pick up Model K and N R S Fords for scrap prices. There's no doubt that what you say is true in some, even many cases, but not all. I was born 13 years after the last Mod A rolled of the line and it was never my dream car, Yet here I am, owning 3 of them and contemplating more. or other models. I like cars! I'm a motor head, I have gasoline in my blood! Jay Leno has gasoline in his blood too. That's what keeps me spending $ on this vintage tin. Of course, I'm going to try to spend as little as possible!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
It's the thirty year syndrome. The cars everyone wanted when they where 20 are in demand when they are 50. Model A's where big 30 years ago. The next thing coming will be the 80's cars!! Buick T types, Buick Grand Nationals, Ford SHO Taurus' etc. Everyone has a different "dream" some are nightmares.

John Poole
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #66
burner31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If all this were true Bill W would have a stall full of horses, not a garage of fine metal.

It's the economy.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #67
Steve_Mack_CT

Terry I agree with Tinbasher to a point as well, however my view is a little different. When one looks at cars as an interest, tough to say it is shrinking given the fact there are more publications, clubs, events, etc. than say in the 70s - 80s when a lot of the prewar/immediate postwar stuff fit the description of being wanted by folks reaching an age where they could afford it.

I would describe the guy buying a "car of his youth" as more of an enthusiast, (my brother in law a good example, has a GTO but little interest outside that era/genre) - there are a lot of guys out there like that, and even with "declining interest in young people" you are seeing this trend with the 70s to 80s cars now.

Collectors in my mind, are a little different. They are more interested in broad eras and may pick eras not associated with their youth - a little deeper interest, I think - and a much smaller group. The brass car comments are right on - I think some younger guys who have been lucky enough to be exposed to them are interested in something so different, and really maybe even better suited to younger owners due to the work involved in upkeep or even driving - I am seeing a lot of nice brass cars owned by people younger than me at 52. Same with "A and "T" cars (Speedsters and tourings are still pretty hot in Model T world - a sporty appeal and/or quintissential "old touring car") - I'm no longer youngest guy in the room.

I also think venue makes a difference, cruise nights and local shows tend to draw a different crowd than concours or club tours. A lot of guys already figured that out - here in CT there are a few "no miss" events if you like early Fords or early prewar cars in general, but we skip most shows because they just draw a different crowd. Our Mercedes would be out of place at these events also, but we check out some stuff that caters to the European sports car crowd, our second love.

I think it is a very big, segmented hobby vs. a dying hobby. Our segment may be shrinking a little, but I think the small % of collectors in a larger overall hobby will ensure the preservation of these cars.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #68
denis4x4

Not exactly sure if this is germane to the subject at hand, but certainly interesting;

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml?refer=news

The number of times the word ORIGINAL is used in the ad copy is certainly an irony.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #69
BILL WILLIAMSON

I wish Velocity or Discovery channels would have a series on Early Ford, Model A, and Model T restoration, & shows, etc.
It would also be GREAT advertising for the PARTS SUPPLIERS.
Bill W.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #70
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
...The number of times the word ORIGINAL is used in the ad copy is certainly an irony.
According to my Dad, who will soon be 96, and was 11 years old when my rig came off the line, not many cars of that era stayed "original" for very long. He says that there was this big push to make the car you owned "your" car and that involved changing/altering/modifying whatever to accomplish that.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #71
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill williamson View Post
i wish velocity or discovery channels would have a series on early ford, model a, and model t restoration, & shows, etc.
it would also be great advertising for the parts suppliers.
bill w.
ditto!!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #72
Jeff/Illinois

Hate to admit and this has been talked about forever, but guys in their 60's 'just ain't into Model A Fords'. These guys want BIG BLOCK Chevelles-Torino's- 'Cuda's it's just a fact of life.

I don't see the youth today really caring that much about them we all know the stories. The only selling point for young car buyers today is 'How good is the Synch hows the Navistar and what technical doo dads does the car have?' The major car mfg.'s know this and this is what they are marketing. They aren't selling cars so to speak anymore.

And with so many A's coming on the market, and not really that much demand, we had all better plan on taking it in the shorts at selling time the profit margin isn't there. What 25 year old guy that wants to spend $25K on a collector car (if they even have a decent job) is going to shop for a Model A? Yeah they'll take grandpa's car if it's free but outside of that, forget it. I see this more and more even the last six months--------------

And, one more thing. You read it in The Restorer and MAN all the time. "We drove the Model A to (fill in the blank) and spun a center main, or threw a fan through the radiator, or the clutch broke, or that fiber timing gear shredded" and on and on. We fixed it lying in a ditch beside the road. How many young people are going to find THAT fun????!!!! Most 60's cars I have been around will run half way across the country and bring you back in good order.

I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 12-21-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #73
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

First of all.....I love my 1930 "A" coupe. Perfect every day driver. We (my wife and I) are in the process of moving and we both thought, it would be OK to sell the "A". We will buy another Model A later and like the past good times, we would have fun and rebuild another one. We have a few other vehicles to move (transport) plus two Harley Davidson touring bikes and by selling the "A", it would be a little less to worry about. Our Model A is totally restored - bottom up - down - inside and out. We have nearly $ 25K dollars invested. It has been advertised in or on Ebay - Hemmings Magazine - Craigslist and in the Restorer Magazine. I dropped the asking price to $18K dollars OMO.......a few weeks ago, someone offered $15K - (NG). Talk about a poor market(s) ! On top of the antique auto market, we have had three real estate offers and all three of these offers have been declined by mortgage lenders.
This is a common problem. "investing" $25K in a car is not an investment unless the car rotunely sells for a lot more. It is an expenditure, not an investment, unless it produces dividends. This also brings home the fact that the amount of money spent on a car is not directly related to the value of the car to a buyer. My buddy spent $26k on his coupe to get it the way he wanted it, and could only get $18k after advertising it for months. A 40 ford or a 34 ford might bring the big bucks, but today the model A does not command the big money. It costs a lot more to restore or fix one than it will sell for.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #74
rob63mess

The way I see it.....I have a 30 roadster.....paid 8500 for it.....probably ly put another 3000 in it. What's it worth?.....probably ly 10K to 13K depending how lo g I would want to sit on it. Now......take a guy that loves to golf. 25 or 30 bucks a round a beer or two. He goes maybe 3 times week maybe a trip down south with his buddies once a year with his golf buddies. You get my drift. It doesn't matter what your hobby may be. There is a certain a amount of money required to participate. If we're lucky ...whe. it comes time to sell....the enjoyment it well worth the money that we don't get back. I know for me....it's worth it.
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #75
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Hate to admit and this has been talked about forever, but guys in their 60's 'just ain't into Model A Fords'. These guys want BIG BLOCK Chevelles-Torino's- 'Cuda's it's just a fact of life.

I don't see the youth today really caring that much about them we all know the stories. The only selling point for young car buyers today is 'How good is the Synch hows the Navistar and what technical doo dads does the car have?' The major car mfg.'s know this and this is what they are marketing. They aren't selling cars so to speak anymore.

And with so many A's coming on the market, and not really that much demand, we had all better plan on taking it in the shorts at selling time the profit margin isn't there. What 25 year old guy that wants to spend $25K on a collector car (if they even have a decent job) is going to shop for a Model A? Yeah they'll take grandpa's car if it's free but outside of that, forget it. I see this more and more even the last six months--------------

And, one more thing. You read it in The Restorer and MAN all the time. "We drove the Model A to (fill in the blank) and spun a center main, or threw a fan through the radiator, or the clutch broke, or that fiber timing gear shredded" and on and on. We fixed it lying in a ditch beside the road. How many young people are going to find THAT fun????!!!! Most 60's cars I have been around will run half way across the country and bring you back in good order.

I'm just sayin'.

Hey wait a minute, I'm still in my 60's (for the foreseeable future) and I love my Model A. no "do dads", no 12 volts, none of that stuff.
Even my '57 Chevy is mostly the way I had it back in the '70's, I'm funny that way.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #76
SSsssteamer

An interesting observation of mine over the years has been the parts availability and our cost there of. In the 1960's, Monkey Ward, and Sears sold most all of the consumable parts for our Model A Fords. Starters, generators, exhausts, hoses, V belts, rebuilt engines, tires, on and on that we needed. Warshawski and J.C. Whitney both had Model A Ford parts catalogs for the hard items like door handles, top kits, plated items, wire harness and so forth. These guys don't hardly sell anything anymore that will fit a model A Ford. We have new Model A Fords parts vendors that now can sell you a lot more parts than ever before. Why did Sears and the other old timers quite the model A Ford parts business? Did the Model A Ford parts demand drop off? Is there more competition now than in the 60's? What changed the market? Fewer Model A Fords now being restored by fewer restorers? Fewer restorers?

Last edited by SSsssteamer; 12-22-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #77
fordf1trucknut

I am a younger (ish) guy at 35 and find that there are some other younger guys in my area into early fords.

I don't view my collection as an investment at all....that would remove the fun from the hobby.

I enjoy restoring, working on, and especially driving and sharing with others. Especially our 2 daughters. Our oldest (6 years old ) already has a 30 coupe of her own that she is working on with my help..she hopes to have it done by her 16th birthday. So i am at least trying to do my part to keep interest
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:52 AM   #78
dumb person

Antiques in general. People are losing contact with the physical realm and care only for fast food, faster wifi and can get all their antique itches scratched through pinterest or etsy right through their newfound touchscreen hand panel thingamajig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
And, one more thing. You read it in The Restorer and MAN all the time. "We drove the Model A to (fill in the blank) and spun a center main, or threw a fan through the radiator, or the clutch broke, or that fiber timing gear shredded" and on and on. We fixed it lying in a ditch beside the road. How many young people are going to find THAT fun????!!!!
i would but i am the antitheses of popular culture.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 AM   #79
Henry's Lady's Man

Can it be that our young sprouts are too busy with their phones to care about our hobby? Perhaps they are drunk on entertainment, and it's just TOO HARD to work on vintage cars or read a book? Or am I just being cynical?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #80
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
Can it be that our young sprouts are too busy with their phones to care about our hobby? Perhaps they are drunk on entertainment, and it's just TOO HARD to work on vintage cars or read a book? Or am I just being cynical?
Your comments are very wise.
The new generation is not very handy at fixing things. In fact, they don't even want to try. They are a button pushing generation or even that is too much work for them..they are a finger waving generation with their touch screens and smart phones. They are definitely NOT "lets get our hands dirty generation." This fact coupled with the fact that they don't care for thing OLD , They always want the latest thing, not the oldest thing, is why they are not interested in anything old.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote