Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Curly

Default How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

When I got into Model A’s I had no idea how attracted people were to these little cars/trucks. I’m a people person so I don’t mind folks swarming the car when I stop and get out… but sometimes it does get old. Mine is a daily driver when the weather allows. I may put close to 10k miles on it by years end. There are times when I’m climbing out of the car and I see people moving in with the regular questions when I duck to the side and make an escape. I did this the other day and left my wife to take the questions and stories. She was rather overwhelmed by it all as I sat back 50 feet undercover and watched in amusement.
Do you ever get tired of the same stories and questions? How do you avoid it without being rude?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

I'll see people looking at the car when I approach it, and sometimes just hang back and watch to wait for them to walk away.
I enjoy educating people about the vehicle, but sometimes I just want to get in and go.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
M2M

Fit Polonium spark plugs to your car then put a sign saying:

"CAUTION ! This automobile is equipped with RADIOACTIVE spark-plugs. Please stand clear and DO NOT TOUCH for your own safety."

see:

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...light=polonium

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Ted Duke

Just sell it and buy yourself an old Vega, no one will bother you!

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
3thumbs

People love these old cars, and many of them dream of having one of their own. I am always glad to talk to them about the car, and I am proud they want to look at it. But, when I don't have time to spend with them, I just politely tell them so, and I have never had an issue with that.

Dave
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Anteek29

Same as what Dave just said
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
CarlG

Curly,

You do need to be really careful (especially with your wife around), these little pickups are extremely powerful chick magnets anywhere you stop: gas station, grocery store, etc.

When you get tired of the crowd, you can park it at my place and I'll take care of them for you.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Curly

Very true Carl.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Rex_A_Lott

Get used to the fact that there is never a guarantee of a "quick trip" anywhere.
Be glad people are interested enough to speak to you about your old car, even though most of them dont realize that you've heard most of it before...they all think that they just came up with that all on their own.
As the song goes " Now you know how Richard Petty feels"
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
DrinkMan

Smile. Answer the same questions the same way you did 30 minutes ago. Be proud. If you don't like it, buy a Camry. I get it with all my fun cars. The below commandments for Ferrari owners apply to us as well (except for driving on race tracks).

http://mondialt.com/2014/10/16/10-co...car-ownership/

A diverse fleet - nothing boring:
1928 Ford Tudor
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce (Duetto)
1973 Opel GT
1973 Triumph TR6
1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6+ engine: Spit6
2005 Lotus Elise
DrinkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I can understand the question very well. Found out the answer last Sunday before the parade. Although I was close by, I was at a distance. Had many lookers, old, young but only one question was asked, the horsepower? I didn't mind at all the lookers at all but no one climbed inside or sat on the fenders or rub the hands over the finish. It went well and I had fun. More times too come, I'm sure.

As for being a 'chick' magnate, another reason why she's named Sarah and not Sam, there is only room for one............'chick' magnate!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
39topless

I actually enjoy people asking me about my car. It's fun to share my enthusiasm. But if you don't have the time to chat, just tell the guy, "It's for sale, wanna buy it?" that'll end the conversation.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

I notice anymore, that the teenagers and people in their 20's are the most interested!

THAT'S a good thing
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #14
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Get used to the fact that there is never a guarantee of a "quick trip" anywhere.
Be glad people are interested enough to speak to you about your old car, even though most of them dont realize that you've heard most of it before...
I enjoy it 90 percent of the time. It's fun to see others care enough about these cars to come and talk. My friend Jim says he figures most gas stops last atleast 20 minutes to a half hour. I came out from a store once and found the drivers door open and people taking pictures. This bothers me. I had another gentleman tell me my car was "fake" because the originals only had one tail light not two.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets tired of it at times.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
...I had another gentleman tell me my car was "fake" because the originals only had one tail light not two...
Of course he failed to mention the cowl lights, rear bumpers, trailer hitch, or 16" wires . . .
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 09-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
diomed

I've driven a lot of Shelby Cobra's around and people rarely looked twice at them. Whenever somebody did, it was to tell me about their '67 Mustang in the garage. With the Model A, it's totally different. Everywhere I go I'm asked questions about it. I get questions from all ages, men, women and children. I happened to be driving near an elementary school yesterday as they were letting out. The wife and i answered a ton of questions from the children. I'm happy to answer them, but I'm normally the type of person who likes to sit in the background and blend in with the wall.

These cars really seem to make people smile, and that's not a bad thing to me.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #17
29Cabriolet

Quote:
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]. . . I see people moving in with the regular questions when I duck to the side and make an escape. I did this the other day and left my wife to take the questions and stories. She was rather overwhelmed by it all as I sat back 50 feet undercover and watched in amusement. . . .
Question now is did you sleep in the dog house that night while your wife sat back 50 feet undercover and watched in amusement????
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #18
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Cabriolet View Post
Question now is did you sleep in the dog house that night while your wife sat back 50 feet undercover and watched in amusement????
She laughs about it. She says the next time we stop in a populated area shes going to jump out and run before I get to a full stop.

I told her there are only about four questions she has to have the answer too:

What year is it?

How fast does it go?

Does it have the original engine?

Did you restore it?

Many folks also want to ask how much they cost but most wont ask that.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

I get more attention with my 29 Model A huckster than I do with my 29 std coupe. It seems people that are woodworkers admire the wood in the body. Young kids have to take pictures with their cell phones. And many other questions about this Model A body that is not a Model A body but is different enough that people have to find out more info about it.

I don't mind the questions because it gives me the opportunity to explain why I kept the old pile of junk for over 50 years and then rebuilt it into the huckster.

When they ask how old it is, and I get that question often, I tell them it is older than I am and that is OLD!

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 09-17-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #20
ronn

placard-owner has ebola-stay back!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #21
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

most Model A people encourage and enjoy people wanting to ask questions. It is in my opinion unrealistic to expect people not to want to enjoy your A. I must admit that in 40 years this is the first time I have ever heard this question asked???? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #22
Rene R

I've always enjoyed answering questions, except for one. For whatever reason 3 out of 5 people that stop me as I'm getting in or out of the car ask "how much is it worth." That is tiresome. I finally started answering "probably a lot less than you think."

My biggest concern is not the people who hover over the car and ask questions when I'm stopped, but rather the drivers around me who are pointing and/or trying to take pictures instead of paying attention to their driving. I'd hate to inadvertently cause an accident because my car distracted someone.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #23
Slotblog

I like engaging the poeple who want to talk about my old car. But then, I usually talk so much that peoples' ears begin to bleed...

Promote, promote, promote... that's my mantra.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
I like engaging the poeple who want to talk about my old car. But then, I usually talk so much that peoples' ears begin to bleed...

Promote, promote, promote... that's my mantra.
Agree, agree and agree some more! Wayne
Old 09-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #25
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene R View Post
I've always enjoyed answering questions, except for one. For whatever reason 3 out of 5 people that stop me as I'm getting in or out of the car ask "how much is it worth." That is tiresome. I finally started answering "probably a lot less than you think."

My biggest concern is not the people who hover over the car and ask questions when I'm stopped, but rather the drivers around me who are pointing and/or trying to take pictures instead of paying attention to their driving. I'd hate to inadvertently cause an accident because my car distracted someone.
I tell em "its not worth nothing". They look at you funny, so you say "Well, if I sell it, all I'm going to get is money, and I'll waste that on wild women and beer, and pretty soon all I'll have left is nothing, so that's what its worth". Usually good for a laugh and gets around the question without having to come right out and say " Its none of your business, unless you're buying".
I have another old truck, that I bought from my friends widow, that sometimes I'll say "you dont have enough money to buy it".
You've got to understand, most of these people are just searching for something to start a conversation, they are not serious, even though it gets old sometimes. Dont worry, be happy.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #26
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover
Thumbs up Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

It is very simple. DRIVE A RAT_ ROD like I do sometimes I let people climb all over it and kids love to make varrommmm sounds. I am sorry I will take my RAT_ROD home and never speck of it again!!!!!! Don Smith who is going on the honor flight for COMBAT VETS to Washington D C and I am god damn Proud of it!!!!! God Bless the U.S.A. Iam very proud to be a U.S. Soldier.
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #27
JOHN CT

My favorite question is did you drive it here ? ( no I pushed it ) and what year is it ? I tell them it's 2015 ! Ha but I love talking about bouncing Betty !! It always draws a crowd .
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #28
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post
I've driven a lot of Shelby Cobra's around and people rarely looked twice at them. Whenever somebody did, it was to tell me about their '67 Mustang in the garage. With the Model A, it's totally different. Everywhere I go I'm asked questions about it. I get questions from all ages, men, women and children. I happened to be driving near an elementary school yesterday as they were letting out. The wife and i answered a ton of questions from the children. I'm happy to answer them, but I'm normally the type of person who likes to sit in the background and blend in with the wall.

EXACT same here. Most people don't pay any attention to our older Mustang but when I'm in the Model A I get all kinds of people waving and giving the thumbs up, all ages of people. I don't drive the old cars to get other people's attention, I just enjoy them. Kind of embarrassing actually.

But the neat thing is, most people don't think you are trying to impress them with a high dollar car, they just like seeing the A's and T's!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #29
Synchro909

Only occasionally will anybody give either of my As a second look. I can leave it in the car park at the shopping centre and people walk by seemingly without noticing. When they do, it's often recent immigrants from either Asia or the Middle East where they have nothing like them. When somebody does stop, I get the same questions mentions above. My answer to "How fast does it go?", I truthfully answer "I don't know" or "Fast enough to get a speeding ticket". They can't comprehend that I haven't tried it out.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #30
RUNNERBUN

Most times I really enjoy the chat even though you do hear the same questions over and over again. On the rare occasion when I'm not up for a chat I just say sorry, I must go, my wife just called me and said that the baby is about to arrive and I need to get her to the hospital. Works every time. They congratulate me (I'm 64) and wish me all best.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #31
Slotblog

Lol!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Mace!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #33
mshmodela

Old Ladies (our cars) like the attention, we're just their caretakers for now...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #34
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post

Ted
i dunno i have a Chevette and get asked about it or told a quick story about one someone used to have, usually humorous. fun car to take to a dealership, older salesmen are like bees on honey around it!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #35
29er

I drive my coupe to deliver Meals-On-Wheels. Those folks really appreciate her and love to reminisce!

Mike in Orygun
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #36
dlfrisch

I hear the story....it was something this.....an "A" owner, about 60 years old, drove to the store in his restored tudor and of course people started to ask questions and view the car. One person was really excited and loved the Model A......asked the guy did you buy this car new ?
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #37
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I hear the story....it was something this.....an "A" owner, about 60 years old, drove to the store in his restored tudor and of course people started to ask questions and view the car. One person was really excited and loved the Model A......asked the guy did you buy this car new ?
That is a good one.....lol
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #38
Barber31

Actually, I feel proud that I put so much hard work into building it, it made somebody happy enough to strike up a conversation with a stranger. To me that makes me happy. And I feel Blessed that I'm fortunate enough to have the vehicle to begin with. The only 2 ones that bother me are the guys who start asking financial questions. "How much did you pay" " how much is it worth" "how much have you spent on it". Asking about my personal finances is pretty rude and very common for me unfortunately. The other is the guy who feels the need to list his vast collection of valuable cars that he once had but no longer does for whatever reason. I never know what to say to that. Like, aww... Sorry you don't have them anymore but you can watch me drive mine. Awkward.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #39
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMan View Post
Smile. Answer the same questions the same way you did 30 minutes ago. Be proud. If you don't like it, buy a Camry. I get it with all my fun cars. The below commandments for Ferrari owners apply to us as well (except for driving on race tracks).

http://mondialt.com/2014/10/16/10-co...car-ownership/
I try to follow all of the commandments except number 9. My wife and I will take as much time as needed to answer any and all questions, regardless as to how often we hear them.

It is part of the responsibility of owning museum pieces.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #40
1955cj5

When we brought the ccpu home on a trailer we stopped at a local farm supply store to buy tape for the windows...when we came out there were folks all around the old pickup....I think when you see one on a trailer you may think it's been "rescued" from some horrible fate...we got lots of questions and stories of childhood Model A experiences....
Old 09-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #41
Pete

I have a standard answer as to how much I have in the car and I have used it since I first started racing in high school.

Uncouth viewer:"Hi, how much do you have in the car?"
Me: "Everything I make minus 10% to live on."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #42
700rpm

When asked "How much is it worth?" I ask them what they think, then I ask them if they want to buy it. That usually gets a laff. But you shouldn't own or drive a Model A if you're going to be a pissant about it. These cars make people smile, and afford an opportunity to engage folks in a friendly conversation in an increasingly inhospitable society. I don't care about a person's color, age, style, or anything else. If they want to talk about my car I can afford 15 minutes to help them have a nice day. I have never, and I mean never, in over 50 years, had an unpleasant conversation with someone about my car. I would rather they got home and told a story about a pleasant moment in their day than relating a story about an old crank who was rude to them.

And on top of that, being nice to people has led me to some interesting finds and good leads.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #43
BILL WILLIAMSON

I think about the GREAT FRIENDS I've made, that wouldn't have happened, were it NOT FOR THE CAR!!!
Bill W.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #44
C26Pinelake
BANNED

My father in law always uses a varaition of that line. He loves the attention the car brings and when we go in a store he proudly sits in the car at the store front door. There is hardly a time that he is not asked " had her long "? And he proudly replies " bought her new " ! Wayne
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #45
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I think about the GREAT FRIENDS I've made, that wouldn't have happened, were it NOT FOR THE CAR!!!
Bill W.
X10, Bill.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

Just wear a non-smiling Lois Lerner IRS mask.

But seriously, in my area, it is always young people asking.

Most of what I learned in life was learned by wonderful people taking the time to answer my extremely detailed questions.

I feel very comfortable among younger folks asking all types of questions and I know my efforts to answer are appreciated by them.

If their interruption takes too long, just kindly explain that you are busy .... they always appear to appreciate and respect candid responses.

H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #47
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post

Good Comment, Diomed. I say to people all the time, "A '65 Mustang might turn a few heads, and lots of folks will say, 'Yeah, I had a Mustang! Or I had a GTO, or I had a Dodge Charger, I had a Grand Torino' ", and YES, THOSE CARS WILL TURN SOME HEADS.
BUT THE MODEL A WILL ALWAYS TURN HEADS!!! most folks today don't know WTH they are. They will call your car a Model T. [Ya gotta keep it down, maybe correct 'em, but don't insult them. They're just curious]. You may be "on stage" for a few minutes, but it's ok. They are enjoying a little piece of what you OWN.
It's ok to share some of your knowledge with the uninformed.
I too am a reserved guy , but have a keen interest in history, and love it when I see that in other people. BE CAREFUL WITH HAND SIGNALS. THEY EITHER THINK YOU'RE WAVING, OR GIVING THEM THE "F" BOMB. Chuck
Old 09-18-2015, 01:16 AM   #48
DougVieyra

I worry about the diminishing numbers of young people who will be needed to be the 'care-takers' of our Model A's as the older of us begin to 'fade away'.

So with that in mind, whenever I have the opportunity, I ask any on-lookers who seem to have an interest, if they have any young people in their family who would like to learn more, and perhaps to go for a ride. This is my version of a 'recruitment' program for future owners. As a former teacher, I feel that an 'inter-active, Living-History' approach lends for better attention by the student, and perhaps plant a seed of interest that will carry on into adulthood.

So I look forward to the opportunity that is presented when I find ". . . people swarming . . . " around my '28 Phaeton .

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #49
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
When asked "How much is it worth?" I ask them what they think, then I ask them if they want to buy it. That usually gets a laff. But you shouldn't own or drive a Model A if you're going to be a pissant about it. These cars make people smile, and afford an opportunity to engage folks in a friendly conversation in an increasingly inhospitable society. I don't care about a person's color, age, style, or anything else. If they want to talk about my car I can afford 15 minutes to help them have a nice day. I have never, and I mean never, in over 50 years, had an unpleasant conversation with someone about my car. I would rather they got home and told a story about a pleasant moment in their day than relating a story about an old crank who was rude to them.

And on top of that, being nice to people has led me to some interesting finds and good leads.

Couldn't agree more!

I ask others about their cars all the time. What can I say?, I like cars.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #50
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Contrary to the posters desire I think a very high percentage of our group encourage lookers, gawkers and swarmers. It is part of who we are in this hobby! Wayne
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #51
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post

Ted
Not if you get home of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 9.27.33 AM.jpg (68.3 KB, 57 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #52
stouchton

I find it amusing that I get more attention at the local gas station than at the car shows!

But last night was absolutely the best. Was at a car show answering the usual questions. A lady walked up with the help of a cane - she looked like she was easily over 100 - she could not talk well, she tried but could not say what she wanted too - she merely pointed at the car and cried. Then with a smile and a whispered "thank you" she left.

That was the absolute best time I had showing off the car.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #53
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
I drive my coupe to deliver Meals-On-Wheels. Those folks really appreciate her and love to reminisce!

Mike in Orygun
Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I have a standard answer as to how much I have in the car and I have used it since I first started racing in high school.

Uncouth viewer:"Hi, how much do you have in the car?"
Me: "Everything I make minus 10% to live on."
Probably a lot closer to the truth back when you started. I know I was pretty close to that, back before I had a family.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #54
Willie Krash

Funny but in Southern Orygun people don't look twice at Model A's. There are a lot of hot rods out here.
OTOH, when I take the Model T out people drive by and take video and snap pictures.

Getting gas is a mob scene. How does it run w/o leaded gas, do you have to use premium.......why are you taking the seat out? They don't make em like that anymore!
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #55
rowens55

Ok, so mine is a 55CV, not an "A" but I LOVE ALL the questions I get wherever I go in Diana. I am with most of you here, it's about the younger gen. I let kids and young adults, (sometimes older dolls as well) sit inside behind the wheel. They have NEVER seen a steering wheel as big mine in a car before! I have had people ask if I took it out of a bus?!? No matter, she's my baby and I love being her caretaker! Ask ALL the questions you want!
Rowen
Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #56
burner31

The Wife and I never seem to have a problem with people coming up to talk about the car, just don't understand it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3232562.jpg (54.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg gangster.jpg (37.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg images (36).jpg (8.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 1931-Shootout-on-Dyckman-Acme-Newspictures1.jpg (61.7 KB, 65 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #57
burner31

Seriously though, I welcome people to talk, touch, ask about the car, I especially encourage the little kids, I ask if they want to sit behind the wheel, which they love, have them grab that big ole steering wheel and pretend they're driving, I like to tell them to push that black button in the middle of it, that smile and big bright eyes are memories they will keep for years to come. They really love that horn.
Hoping it starts a love affair for them, so that they will carry the Model A into the future, after we have gone.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #58
P.S.

I don't mind answering questions about the Model A and even listening to the constant stories about the Model As they used to have. Even though I am an Aspergers Syndrome guy, I just put on the happy face and act happy to do it. I let people get in and take pictures, and I offer rides. Most people are surprised to see a young guy driving a car so old.

What I do NOT like is the frequent approaches from douchebag looking slobs that don't even say "Hi", only saying to me, " What's it worth?" I only respond with, "It's not for sale". No matter how they re-word their question, I just keep reciting " not for sale" and watch them get all mad. I blame this uncivil behavior on the glut of 'reality' TV shows that are all about flipping old cars for profit.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #59
R-Rocks

Sometimes I point to the wife and say its hers. Our 8 year old daughter loves the truck and will carry on about how much she loves it. I run into a old guy whos family had a dealership back in the day, he told me a story how they would run the Model A up to Yellowstone from our location in Utah.

Last edited by R-Rocks; 09-18-2015 at 04:29 PM.
R-Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #60
Jembow

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who lets the wife field the questions. I reckon it gives her a hobby.
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #61
MrTube

Easy.

Switch to restoring antique refrigerators. This way, no one ever gets to see your hard work because it's stuck in the kitchen!

Sorry, I started realizing this when bringing home another unit to restore and a guy driving a model B saw it in the back of the truck and we started talking about it. Kinda depressed me actually.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #62
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I blame this uncivil behavior on the glut of 'reality' TV shows that are all about flipping old cars for profit.
Thank you. Glad someone else sees this too. I feel that those shows have done a lot of harm to the old car hobby. The emphasis is always on 'Look at the profit I made.' And it's not as easy as those guys make it look.

Naw, the Flippers get REAL old tired of their nonsense.

Jembow..... NICE three window Coupe in your avatar in post #56! The '35 and '36 three windows are about the nicest looking early V-8's out there!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 09-18-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #63
Cool Hand Lurker

I think people who ask 'how much' don't care about your personal finances, they are just curious. I usually give them a range of two or three thousand in the ballpark and they are satisfied. And it might give them the idea that maybe they could afford one and then another Model A is saved from the street rodders.... for awhile....

When we go down the street EVERYBODY stops what they are doing and looks and smiles, no matter what their age. They ask for the horn so their kids can hear it. If the situation is right I let them sit inside and may even give them a ride. And they DON'T CARE if it is a 500 point car or just an 85 year old one. I hope I am around long enough to tell them when it is a 100 year old car!
When I get out of the car I am usually in a good mood. A really good mood. Life is good.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #64
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
I think people who ask 'how much' don't care about your personal finances, they are just curious. I usually give them a range of two or three thousand in the ballpark and they are satisfied. And it might give them the idea that maybe they could afford one and then another Model A is saved from the street rodders.... for awhile....

When we go down the street EVERYBODY stops what they are doing and looks and smiles, no matter what their age. They ask for the horn so their kids can hear it. If the situation is right I let them sit inside and may even give them a ride. And they DON'T CARE if it is a 500 point car or just an 85 year old one. I hope I am around long enough to tell them when it is a 100 year old car!
When I get out of the car I am usually in a good mood. A really good mood. Life is good.
We agree in every regard! Yes life is good when you can bring joy and smiles to everyone including yourself ! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-18-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #65
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
Life is good.
Yeah good and COLD by the looks of your avatar
Old 09-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #66
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some criticize TV shows for "flipping" cars, but how many of us have done the SAME thing?
Bill W.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #67
CarlG

I was once looking for a 10+ year old Explorer. Saw one with a sign on it, wrote the number down and called a couple days later when I had the chance. "Sorry, it has already been sold." came the reply.

Continued looking, found one in the newspaper a week or so later. Went to look at it. Same @#$@ car as I had looked at the week before. Different seller this time.

He owned it a week, probably gave it a good cleaning and "flipped" it for $800 profit.

Yes, I bought it. Was still a good deal, just not as good a deal if I had not procrastinated calling in the first place.

That's my "flip" story, and I'm sticking to it!
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #68
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
I find it amusing that I get more attention at the local gas station than at the car shows!

But last night was absolutely the best. Was at a car show answering the usual questions. A lady walked up with the help of a cane - she looked like she was easily over 100 - she could not talk well, she tried but could not say what she wanted too - she merely pointed at the car and cried. Then with a smile and a whispered "thank you" she left.

That was the absolute best time I had showing off the car.
When I see an elderly lady looking at my roadster I always ask her if she ever did anything in the rumble seat. Get a lot of sly smiles.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #69
stewwolfe

Default How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

I have many people ask me if they can take a picture of whichever car I'm driving that day. I love to tell them that I can't allow that, but if they would sit in the driver's seat I would be happy to take their picture. Most people can't believe that I would let them get in the car. I tell them that the majority of the fun in owning it is sharing it with others,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #70
Franchise_24

Quote:
When I got into Model A’s I had no idea how attracted people were to these little cars/trucks. I’m a people person so I don’t mind folks swarming the car when I stop and get out… but sometimes it does get old. Mine is a daily driver when the weather allows. I may put close to 10k miles on it by years end. There are times when I’m climbing out of the car and I see people moving in with the regular questions when I duck to the side and make an escape. I did this the other day and left my wife to take the questions and stories. She was rather overwhelmed by it all as I sat back 50 feet undercover and watched in amusement.
Do you ever get tired of the same stories and questions? How do you avoid it without being rude?
I guess you should be glad that people are interested and want to talk about it.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #71
dumb person

5 rotten onions and a dead possum in a flax or cheesecloth bag. Tie under the muffler with some wire. Keeps everyone except the determined and very curious away.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #72
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I try to follow all of the commandments except number 9. My wife and I will take as much time as needed to answer any and all questions, regardless as to how often we hear them.

It is part of the responsibility of owning museum pieces.
I was a little hurried in my first response and would like to add a little more filler. Firstly, the car door is always opened to inquisitors, those with the temerity to ask are always allowed to sit in. Youngsters are INVITED to sit in.

We have learnt so much and made so many friends as Bill W. states that we would not dream of foreshortening any conversation about any of our collectors, regardless of the circumstances.

It never ceases to amaze me how many older ladies lost something of value on the back seat of a Tudor!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #73
JupiterBandit

I never had that happen. I have a 30 roadster and recently had a 31 roadster and people honk and wave or say nice car but that is rare. Never been swarmed and I live in Holden Ma
JupiterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #74
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

For me there is only one reason to cut people short and leave the area and that is because i'm on the way to a show. I then invite them to come on by and/or give them the clubs business card.

In the years that I have owned my car I have never gotten "tired" of answering questions.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #75
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
Actually, I feel proud that I put so much hard work into building it, it made somebody happy enough to strike up a conversation with a stranger. To me that makes me happy. And I feel Blessed that I'm fortunate enough to have the vehicle to begin with. The only 2 ones that bother me are the guys who start asking financial questions. "How much did you pay" " how much is it worth" "how much have you spent on it". Asking about my personal finances is pretty rude and very common for me unfortunately. The other is the guy who feels the need to list his vast collection of valuable cars that he once had but no longer does for whatever reason. I never know what to say to that. Like, aww... Sorry you don't have them anymore but you can watch me drive mine. Awkward.
I had a guy ask me financial questions. I asked him what is your wife's bra size? that ended the conversation

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #76
JD 1931

First question they ask is "what years is it". I have had the A for many years and still enjoy the response I receive from the people and all the thumbs up, had an old coupe once standing by the rumble seat and I overheard them saying and laughing about what they did in that seat on there A.....
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #77
Tinbasher

Buy A Chev. Always interest in Model A's. When I'm working on my car with the garage door open people will stop by and what to see what's going on. Ask questions and have a good day. There's just something about these cars.

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #78
rocket1

Fly swatter!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #79
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Keep them in your driveway where it is safe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.7 KB, 52 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #80
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
very bad job .

best I can say , don't stop !
Obviously some doctors are better than others, same as model A mechanics! Wayne
Old 09-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #81
Colin Farquhar

I would put forth that anytime you're driving your old car in public, you're advertising for the hobby. We have much the same thing with the antique steam traction engine hobby-I can't count how many times I've answered "how old is it" or "what does it run on"? That said although they may seem to be dumb or repetitive questions to us, the person who is asking probably doesn't know! Put on a smile, and answer politely-you're the face of the the hobby for that person at that moment
Colin Farquhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #82
harleytoprock

There's no better compliment than when someone shows enthusiastic interest in your vehicle!
Enjoy the moment!
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #83
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Keep them in your driveway where it is safe
Very beautiful cars Mitch, to nice to leave in the driveway.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #84
old car guy

Many years ago I had just restored a really nice early serial number 1969 boss 429. Had gone to the first (car show) to show it off. While I had taken a quick men's room stop when I came back a whole family was sitting in the car had a baby sitting on the roof with a dirty diaper and were smoking a long cigar while enjoying the beautiful car. I Iwas just about to go ballistic and my next door show neighbor pulled me aside and made a fine statement. Before you blow up remember it's just a car it will eventually get a scratch or a ding and it will not always be perfect, in reality it never was to start with. . So I took a deep breath and went over to the family and just Asked what did they think about my car. The man said it brought back many memories of his before it was rear ended, and he would never have enough money to put into the shape mine was in,and if I would have blown up I am sure he would not have asked me if I would like to have what was left of his car for spare parts. I was totally blown away, I went to his house later that evening and sure enough there was another 69 boss 429 complete with a wicked rear end hit that had been parked since 1971 .i tried to pay him for the remains but he would not hear of it. He saw the begining pictures of what I started with and wanted me to do whatever I chose to do with the balance of his car. 2 years later and a whole lot of money and time it was finished and came out very nice. So the moral of the story is yes that are some who just look touch and maybe irritate you when you park your car but sometimes the folks you are meeting for the first time may help you in ways you could not have imagined. I never got upset anymore after that day and saw the lookers and touches as a benefit and never a problem"
Old 09-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #85
JonC

A day or so ago I needeed to grocery shop, it was a nice day and I took the Model A, The store is 18 miles each way I had the best time and the parking lot was full of compliments, my way out of the conversations was My Ice Cream is going to melt all over the rumble seatand it takes me a little longer to get home in this car. Most everyone thought it was funny. It was the best shopping trip I have been on in a long time.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #86
BILL WILLIAMSON

If Vermin DOESN'T draw a crowd, I'll sell him & buy a PINK 3 wheeled bicycle & put playing cards on the SPOKES!!!---Duz straight jackets come in different sizes??
Bill W.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #87
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Very beautiful cars Mitch, to nice to leave in the driveway.
Thanks Keith
for now i am putting them both through the paces at national meets, so i need to keep them pristine... i need a driver pick up truck to fart around in ASAP.. a roadster preferably but i know the leg room will kill me. i have 6" adjusters in my tudors.... cant win HUH

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-21-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #88
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
Many years ago I had just restored a really nice early serial number 1969 boss 429. Had gone to the first (car show) to show it off. While I had taken a quick men's room stop when I came back a whole family was sitting in the car had a baby sitting on the roof with a dirty diaper and were smoking a long cigar while enjoying the beautiful car. I Iwas just about to go ballistic and my next door show neighbor pulled me aside and made a fine statement. Before you blow up remember it's just a car it will eventually get a scratch or a ding and it will not always be perfect, in reality it never was to start with. . So I took a deep breath and went over to the family and just Asked what did they think about my car. The man said it brought back many memories of his before it was rear ended, and he would never have enough money to put into the shape mine was in,and if I would have blown up I am sure he would not have asked me if I would like to have what was left of his car for spare parts. I was totally blown away, I went to his house later that evening and sure enough there was another 69 boss 429 complete with a wicked rear end hit that had been parked since 1971 .i tried to pay him for the remains but he would not hear of it. He saw the begining pictures of what I started with and wanted me to do whatever I chose to do with the balance of his car. 2 years later and a whole lot of money and time it was finished and came out very nice. So the moral of the story is yes that are some who just look touch and maybe irritate you when you park your car but sometimes the folks you are meeting for the first time may help you in ways you could not have imagined. I never got upset anymore after that day and saw the lookers and touches as a benefit and never a problem"
Neat story, and a lesson well learned. We should ALL remember this......................

P.S. was at a Ford show in E. Peoria, Ill. today at Uftring Ford and someone had a concours, beautiful, '70 Boss '9' on display. Car was sold new out of Reynolds Motor Co. East Moline, Ill. What caught my eye, on his Marty Report, was that the dealer took possession of this car in November, 1969 and it took a full YEAR to sell it! Had people known then, what those cars would be worth today..... man oh man
Old 09-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #89
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
thanks
for now i am putting them both through the paces at national meets, so i need to keep them pristine... i need a driver pick up truck to fart around in ASAP.. a roadster preferably but i know the leg room will kill me. i have 6" adjusters in my tudors.... cant win HUH
I can't WIN EITHER, I'll buy me a trophy & letter it, "THIS TROPHY REPRESENTS 269 LOSSES"!
OH! I forgot, I won 1 trophy @ Madera Drag Races, for BEST APPEARING CAR, in 1956. It was a '53 Studebaker Coupe, with a 322 Buick Nailhead. And the trophy sported a '36 Ford Coupe, with FENDER SKIRTS---Later, it got broken & I threw it away.
Bill W.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #90
Tom in SW VA

I enjoy having people ask about my cars. I have never regretted having them ask. I am a "question" person myself and I admire people who want to learn about their world.

24 T Touring
28 Roadster
29 Fordor - 60C
37 Standard Coupe
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #91
ian Simpson

Quote:
Seriously though, I welcome people to talk, touch, ask about the car, I especially encourage the little kids, I ask if they want to sit behind the wheel, which they love, have them grab that big ole steering wheel and pretend they're driving, I like to tell them to push that black button in the middle of it, that smile and big bright eyes are memories they will keep for years to come. They really love that horn.
Hoping it starts a love affair for them, so that they will carry the Model A into the future, after we have gone.
Keith,

You said it better than me. That is what it is all about.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #92
CarlG

As long as you keep it at home, only your wife will ask those questions!

(Sorry you missed the beautiful Hatcher Pass run on Saturday -- International Model A Ford Day!)
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #93
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Farquhar View Post
I would put forth that anytime you're driving your old car in public, you're advertising for the hobby. We have much the same thing with the antique steam traction engine hobby-I can't count how many times I've answered "how old is it" or "what does it run on"? That said although they may seem to be dumb or repetitive questions to us, the person who is asking probably doesn't know! Put on a smile, and answer politely-you're the face of the the hobby for that person at that moment

Remember, it's only YOU that has heard the questions so many times, not the other person.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #94
Bruce Adams

...and What is the MILES PER GALLON ?
WHY so many people wish to know this, FIRST, is beyond me, particularly with our 40 hp engine.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #95
CarlG

Top 10 questions I get asked (in no particular order)

1. How much did you pay for it?
2. Did you buy it new?
3. Did you restore it yourself?
4. What mileage do you get?
5. How fast will it go?
6. How long have you had it?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?
9. What year is your Model T?
10. What is the horsepower?

I answer these and others very willingly. Although it gets a little tiring when at a show, and there is a placard in the window answering most of these questions.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #96
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

2. Did you buy it new?
5. How fast will it go?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?

I answer these and others very willingly. Although it gets a little tiring when at a show, and there is a placard in the window answering most of these questions.
Excellent list Carl. "I get does it run?" quite often.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #97
Curly

Quote:

2. Did you buy it new?
5. How fast will it go?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?

I took a run up to Talkeetna yesterday Carl. Very nice drive. Saturday I was too busy around the the property, I needed to get some things done before the snow gets here. Are you doing the Seward trip Saturday?

I like your list. People often tell me I did a good job restoring it. As you know I bought it this way but I normally take the credit.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #98
burner31

Quote:
I took a run up to Talkeetna yesterday Carl. Very nice drive. Saturday I was too busy around the the property, I needed to get some things done before the snow gets here. Are you doing the Seward trip Saturday?

I like your list. People often tell me I did a good job restoring it. As you know I bought it this way but I normally take the credit.
I'll tell people the condition when I got it, how long it was sitting, and how long it took me to get her running down the road, it amazes most of them...and I take all the credit.
Truth be told, it wasn't all that hard, and it sure was ahellva lot of fun, with any luck I still have a few more years before I'm done with her.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #99
burner31

Quote:

2. Did you buy it new?
5. How fast will it go?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?

Top 10 questions in an alternate universe:

1. Where's the beer tent?
2. Did you buy it new?
3. Where are all the Chevy's?
4. Is that an automatic?
5. Does the A/C still work?
6. Did it come with a AM/FM radio?
7. Where's the damn trunk?
8. Crank windows? What the hell are those?
9. Where the heck is the glove box?
10. You ever bang the old lady in that thing?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #100
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Top 10 questions in an alternate universe:

1. Where's the beer tent?
2. Did you buy it new?
3. Where are all the Chevy's?
4. Is that an automatic?
5. Does the A/C still work?
6. Did it come with a AM/FM radio?
7. Where's the damn trunk?
8. Crank windows? What the hell are those?
9. Where the heck is the glove box?
10. You ever bang the old lady in that thing?
Your answer to number 10 should be not your old lady, yet! Where is she? Wayne
Old 09-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #101
Cool Hand Lurker

[QUOTE=CarlG;1160072]Top 10 questions I get asked (in no particular order)

2. Did you buy it new?
5. How fast will it go?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?

I answer these and others very willingly. Although it gets a little tiring when at a show, and there is a placard in the window answering most of these questions. [/QUOTE]

All of these are the kind of questions asked by people who know nothing and are curious. No matter if it is a car show or a gem & mineral show. Like most of the people attending shows. Isn't that one of the big reasons why we have shows, for other people?
Sure, they can read all about it but it is much more fun for them if they can actually talk to the guy who owns one. I expect the questions and have actually initiated the conversation myself when I see a family walking by and they appear to want to ask a question but are timid.
Maybe being 'bothered' when stopping at a store is a different situation but the reasons are the same.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #102
Tom Wesenberg

To keep people away you can either tie a dead skunk to the rear bumper, or give the engine half throttle, then turn the key off, and back on just before it stops. The loud explosion will make people think it's a drive by shooting and they'll all run for cover.

I've never minded answering what I paid for the car or what it's worth. A year ago I had my 1950 Studebaker in South Bend and was asked what it's worth. I told the man I thought it was worth about $12,000. He said "oh no, it's worth a lot more than that, more like $100,000." Sure wish he had the money to buy it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #103
Bruce Adams

...and I often get "Do you drive it?" and they are amazed when I tell them I have driven it to New Jersey, CT, and Mass. from Long Island. I always wonder how they figure it got to where it is parked?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #104
CarlG

Quote:
... Are you doing the Seward trip Saturday? ...
Yes, driving Larry's car. You going? This is our annual "Fall Colors" Tour. 250 miles round trip (from Anchorage), add another 120 from your place.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 09-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #105
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
...and I often get "Do you drive it?" and they are amazed when I tell them I have driven it to New Jersey, CT, and Mass. from Long Island. I always wonder how they figure it got to where it is parked?
Don't forget the trailer queens ! Wayne
Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #106
Curly

Quote:
Yes, driving Larry's car. You going? This is our annual "Fall Colors" Tour. 250 miles round trip (from Anchorage), add another 120 from your place.
Yes my truck is ready to go. Heidi has been talking about it for two weeks.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #107
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
To keep people away you can either tie a dead skunk to the rear bumper, or give the engine half throttle, then turn the key off, and back on just before it stops. The loud explosion will make people think it's a drive by shooting and they'll all run for cover.

I've never minded answering what I paid for the car or what it's worth. A year ago I had my 1950 Studebaker in South Bend and was asked what it's worth. I told the man I thought it was worth about $12,000. He said "oh no, it's worth a lot more than that, more like $100,000." Sure wish he had the money to buy it.

I'm on the other end of that spectrum, I think my Chevy is worth $100,00, but the insurance company says it's only 38K.
No matter, it's still priceless to me, considering we only paid $350 (1974) for it, and drove it home.
Yep, think we'll keep it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM006405.jpg (150.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #108
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
I'm on the other end of that spectrum, I think my Chevy is worth $100,00, but the insurance company says it's only 38K.
No matter, it's still priceless to me, considering we only paid $350 (1974) for it, and drove it home.
Yep, think we'll keep it.
change companys
get your own appraisal
Old 09-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #109
Jim Huseby

Some people have special gifts for handling the same questions several times a day, year after year: my wife with thirty-five years of teaching, and each kid thinks he or she is asking the question for the first time, or the attitude of students and parents to be constantly dealt with. I think of waitresses, car hops, bar maids, convenience store girls and bank tellers. They treat every hit or every attempt at humor, who knows how many times a day, as genuinely clever, generally with grace, and go about their day. I couldn't do it. (another reason I'm glad I'm not a girl). I try to learn from them and, most of the time, make anyone who approaches me feel good about themselves, though touching my car or attempting to get in it can immediately push me beyond my characteristic kindliness. The same for putting a foot on the running board or bumper. I also keep my friends and relatives as friends by not letting them touch or ride in my cars.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote