Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #81
Colin Farquhar

Default Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

I would put forth that anytime you're driving your old car in public, you're advertising for the hobby. We have much the same thing with the antique steam traction engine hobby-I can't count how many times I've answered "how old is it" or "what does it run on"? That said although they may seem to be dumb or repetitive questions to us, the person who is asking probably doesn't know! Put on a smile, and answer politely-you're the face of the the hobby for that person at that moment
Colin Farquhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #82
harleytoprock

There's no better compliment than when someone shows enthusiastic interest in your vehicle!
Enjoy the moment!
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #83
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Keep them in your driveway where it is safe
Very beautiful cars Mitch, to nice to leave in the driveway.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #84
old car guy

Many years ago I had just restored a really nice early serial number 1969 boss 429. Had gone to the first (car show) to show it off. While I had taken a quick men's room stop when I came back a whole family was sitting in the car had a baby sitting on the roof with a dirty diaper and were smoking a long cigar while enjoying the beautiful car. I Iwas just about to go ballistic and my next door show neighbor pulled me aside and made a fine statement. Before you blow up remember it's just a car it will eventually get a scratch or a ding and it will not always be perfect, in reality it never was to start with. . So I took a deep breath and went over to the family and just Asked what did they think about my car. The man said it brought back many memories of his before it was rear ended, and he would never have enough money to put into the shape mine was in,and if I would have blown up I am sure he would not have asked me if I would like to have what was left of his car for spare parts. I was totally blown away, I went to his house later that evening and sure enough there was another 69 boss 429 complete with a wicked rear end hit that had been parked since 1971 .i tried to pay him for the remains but he would not hear of it. He saw the begining pictures of what I started with and wanted me to do whatever I chose to do with the balance of his car. 2 years later and a whole lot of money and time it was finished and came out very nice. So the moral of the story is yes that are some who just look touch and maybe irritate you when you park your car but sometimes the folks you are meeting for the first time may help you in ways you could not have imagined. I never got upset anymore after that day and saw the lookers and touches as a benefit and never a problem"
Old 09-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #85
JonC

A day or so ago I needeed to grocery shop, it was a nice day and I took the Model A, The store is 18 miles each way I had the best time and the parking lot was full of compliments, my way out of the conversations was My Ice Cream is going to melt all over the rumble seatand it takes me a little longer to get home in this car. Most everyone thought it was funny. It was the best shopping trip I have been on in a long time.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #86
BILL WILLIAMSON

If Vermin DOESN'T draw a crowd, I'll sell him & buy a PINK 3 wheeled bicycle & put playing cards on the SPOKES!!!---Duz straight jackets come in different sizes??
Bill W.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #87
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Very beautiful cars Mitch, to nice to leave in the driveway.
Thanks Keith
for now i am putting them both through the paces at national meets, so i need to keep them pristine... i need a driver pick up truck to fart around in ASAP.. a roadster preferably but i know the leg room will kill me. i have 6" adjusters in my tudors.... cant win HUH

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-21-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #88
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
Many years ago I had just restored a really nice early serial number 1969 boss 429. Had gone to the first (car show) to show it off. While I had taken a quick men's room stop when I came back a whole family was sitting in the car had a baby sitting on the roof with a dirty diaper and were smoking a long cigar while enjoying the beautiful car. I Iwas just about to go ballistic and my next door show neighbor pulled me aside and made a fine statement. Before you blow up remember it's just a car it will eventually get a scratch or a ding and it will not always be perfect, in reality it never was to start with. . So I took a deep breath and went over to the family and just Asked what did they think about my car. The man said it brought back many memories of his before it was rear ended, and he would never have enough money to put into the shape mine was in,and if I would have blown up I am sure he would not have asked me if I would like to have what was left of his car for spare parts. I was totally blown away, I went to his house later that evening and sure enough there was another 69 boss 429 complete with a wicked rear end hit that had been parked since 1971 .i tried to pay him for the remains but he would not hear of it. He saw the begining pictures of what I started with and wanted me to do whatever I chose to do with the balance of his car. 2 years later and a whole lot of money and time it was finished and came out very nice. So the moral of the story is yes that are some who just look touch and maybe irritate you when you park your car but sometimes the folks you are meeting for the first time may help you in ways you could not have imagined. I never got upset anymore after that day and saw the lookers and touches as a benefit and never a problem"
Neat story, and a lesson well learned. We should ALL remember this......................

P.S. was at a Ford show in E. Peoria, Ill. today at Uftring Ford and someone had a concours, beautiful, '70 Boss '9' on display. Car was sold new out of Reynolds Motor Co. East Moline, Ill. What caught my eye, on his Marty Report, was that the dealer took possession of this car in November, 1969 and it took a full YEAR to sell it! Had people known then, what those cars would be worth today..... man oh man
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #89
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
thanks
for now i am putting them both through the paces at national meets, so i need to keep them pristine... i need a driver pick up truck to fart around in ASAP.. a roadster preferably but i know the leg room will kill me. i have 6" adjusters in my tudors.... cant win HUH
I can't WIN EITHER, I'll buy me a trophy & letter it, "THIS TROPHY REPRESENTS 269 LOSSES"!
OH! I forgot, I won 1 trophy @ Madera Drag Races, for BEST APPEARING CAR, in 1956. It was a '53 Studebaker Coupe, with a 322 Buick Nailhead. And the trophy sported a '36 Ford Coupe, with FENDER SKIRTS---Later, it got broken & I threw it away.
Bill W.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #90
Tom in SW VA

I enjoy having people ask about my cars. I have never regretted having them ask. I am a "question" person myself and I admire people who want to learn about their world.

24 T Touring
28 Roadster
29 Fordor - 60C
37 Standard Coupe
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #91
ian Simpson

Quote:
Seriously though, I welcome people to talk, touch, ask about the car, I especially encourage the little kids, I ask if they want to sit behind the wheel, which they love, have them grab that big ole steering wheel and pretend they're driving, I like to tell them to push that black button in the middle of it, that smile and big bright eyes are memories they will keep for years to come. They really love that horn.
Hoping it starts a love affair for them, so that they will carry the Model A into the future, after we have gone.
Keith,

You said it better than me. That is what it is all about.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #92
CarlG

As long as you keep it at home, only your wife will ask those questions!

(Sorry you missed the beautiful Hatcher Pass run on Saturday -- International Model A Ford Day!)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #93
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Farquhar View Post
I would put forth that anytime you're driving your old car in public, you're advertising for the hobby. We have much the same thing with the antique steam traction engine hobby-I can't count how many times I've answered "how old is it" or "what does it run on"? That said although they may seem to be dumb or repetitive questions to us, the person who is asking probably doesn't know! Put on a smile, and answer politely-you're the face of the the hobby for that person at that moment

Remember, it's only YOU that has heard the questions so many times, not the other person.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #94
Bruce Adams

...and What is the MILES PER GALLON ?
WHY so many people wish to know this, FIRST, is beyond me, particularly with our 40 hp engine.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #95
CarlG

Top 10 questions I get asked (in no particular order)

1. How much did you pay for it?
2. Did you buy it new?
3. Did you restore it yourself?
4. What mileage do you get?
5. How fast will it go?
6. How long have you had it?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?
9. What year is your Model T?
10. What is the horsepower?

I answer these and others very willingly. Although it gets a little tiring when at a show, and there is a placard in the window answering most of these questions.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #96
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

2. Did you buy it new?
5. How fast will it go?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?

I answer these and others very willingly. Although it gets a little tiring when at a show, and there is a placard in the window answering most of these questions.
Excellent list Carl. "I get does it run?" quite often.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #97
Curly

Quote:

2. Did you buy it new?
5. How fast will it go?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?

I took a run up to Talkeetna yesterday Carl. Very nice drive. Saturday I was too busy around the the property, I needed to get some things done before the snow gets here. Are you doing the Seward trip Saturday?

I like your list. People often tell me I did a good job restoring it. As you know I bought it this way but I normally take the credit.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #98
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I took a run up to Talkeetna yesterday Carl. Very nice drive. Saturday I was too busy around the the property, I needed to get some things done before the snow gets here. Are you doing the Seward trip Saturday?

I like your list. People often tell me I did a good job restoring it. As you know I bought it this way but I normally take the credit.
I'll tell people the condition when I got it, how long it was sitting, and how long it took me to get her running down the road, it amazes most of them...and I take all the credit.
Truth be told, it wasn't all that hard, and it sure was ahellva lot of fun, with any luck I still have a few more years before I'm done with her.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #99
burner31

Quote:

2. Did you buy it new?
5. How fast will it go?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?

Top 10 questions in an alternate universe:

1. Where's the beer tent?
2. Did you buy it new?
3. Where are all the Chevy's?
4. Is that an automatic?
5. Does the A/C still work?
6. Did it come with a AM/FM radio?
7. Where's the damn trunk?
8. Crank windows? What the hell are those?
9. Where the heck is the glove box?
10. You ever bang the old lady in that thing?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #100
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Top 10 questions in an alternate universe:

1. Where's the beer tent?
2. Did you buy it new?
3. Where are all the Chevy's?
4. Is that an automatic?
5. Does the A/C still work?
6. Did it come with a AM/FM radio?
7. Where's the damn trunk?
8. Crank windows? What the hell are those?
9. Where the heck is the glove box?
10. You ever bang the old lady in that thing?
Your answer to number 10 should be not your old lady, yet! Where is she? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote